It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melanotropin (A tanning miracle)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
A hormone called (Melanotropin) Melanocyte-stimulating-hormone can give you a dark tan in 24 hours. It was deemed safe over 60 years ago. The FDA currently has it labeled as a controlled substance. The hormone crosses the pathways of the tyrosinase products (Phoemelanin to Eumelanin). It appears that these 2 melanins are interchangable. Sunless tanning companies that make that fake (orangish) lotion, are making millions and do not want Melanotropin to ever come out on the market.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
Why are whites ashamed to be...white?

What kind of stupid statement is that? People wanting to tan doesn't mean they are ashamed to be white. Do you just like to cause trouble?

Edit: I see you deleted your post, realize how stupid it sounded?

[Edited on 8-4-2003 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Ironic that he would make such a post, considering how hard he tries to make whites so ashamed to be white.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ill,

Why is everything racist with you?

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'm truthfully speaking right now, I don't see nothing racist about what I said, it's an opinion that is made from observation.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The truth hurts for a lot of people, I know. But I speak what people don't want to hear because it's the truth. Posted by Illmatic

Tanning is a biophysical process for the skin to protect itself from UVA/UVB solar radiation. This process is much less pronounced in people with darker skin, since there is already higher amounts of melanin present, therefore, the skin is better protected.

I fail to see anything racist in the above statement.

I do agree that people fall victim to the popular public trends and start to see themselves as imperfect and in need of modifications. (Same ideas that cause otherwise healthy and attractive women to assume they are overweight unless they are borderline anorexic)
These trends are swallowed hook line and sinker by the consumer, opening a new market for new products.

If there is a market, there will always be someone there to exploit it for profit.

I dont see this process as racist at all. It is simply a new market, driven by capitalism, not racism.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Ill,

If you saw nothing racist in that, then maybe you should seek help. Some how, you seem to have this nack of taking thing's and turning it into a race issue. It's not normal, it's certaintly not right, it's a mental problem. You honestly do need help. You should get it quick, before you end up saying the wrong thing to someone else that's just like you ...

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   
more accurately
it's a polypeptide hormone secreted by the intermediate lobe of the hypophysis in humans (in neurohypophysis in certain other species) which causes dispersion of melanin by melanophores, resulting in darkening of the skin, presumably by promoting melanin synthesis; this effect is readily demonstated in some lower vertebrates, such as frogs and fish; alpha-melanotropin is an N-acetylated peptide with 13 amino acids; beta-melanotropin has 22 amino acids.

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 04:23 PM
link   
but isn't tanning harmful. i agree with Ill on this one. being white for SOME white people is unattractive they want to be dark/darker. i have plenty of friends whom i tease on the regular because they slap the equivalent of butter on their skin an sit under heat lamps to bake for 10-20 minutes. all of which can cause skin cancer but they don't care (like smokers). it's dumb to me and maybe that's cause i'm black but it's stupid and if you go take this drug to change your skin pigmentation and you don't think there is something wrong with you--you are mistaken IMO.

i disagree with black folk that get nose jobs too. so before yall call me a racist...i'ma say this be you. be happy with the skin god put you in.

new topics

top topics

join