It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do christians hate Westboro?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Akragon
Love thy neighbour,

No prob. there.

love thy enemy...

Not going to happen and I sleep well. I don't ascribe to any tenet but my own conscience. And it is fine.

Actually i also have problems with this as well, but im trying...

Your enemy is still your brother... we are all a part of the whole.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I'm not jumping any political/theosophical band wagon. I'm talking about the waste of oxygen that it the WB church.

I see the anti-gay movement as the same thing.

Only worse. Gays just want to live their lives in peace and have equal rights.

It is Christians who organize public hate rallies - - - to try to deny them freedom and rights.

There is no difference - - - between those public hate rallies and what the WB church does.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Yet sometimes a cancer has to be excised so the body can survive.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Yet sometimes a cancer has to be excised so the body can survive.

And how would you remove this cancer my friend?

Do you tempt it with more cancer?

Or do you cut it from the body?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

I'm not jumping any political/theosophical band wagon. I'm talking about the waste of oxygen that it the WB church.

I see the anti-gay movement as the same thing.

Fine. Bang a gong. We're not talking about those people here though. We've talking about WB. You say it's the same. I disagree. You're on your soapbox. What does that help? It's tedious and counterproductive. And before you try to blast me for this I'll let you know that my 21 yo son is gay. I love him dearly but will NOT use that as a means to get into a political discussion for my own self gratification. There is FAR too much of that crap on here already.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Cut it obviously. The Supreme Court is doing an excellent job of that. But please, don't recommend that I wallow in that cancer. Not going to happen. Not giving forgiveness either.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Cut it obviously. The Supreme Court is doing an excellent job of that. But please, don't recommend that I wallow in that cancer. Not going to happen. Not giving forgiveness either.

That is not what im saying... Hate propgates hate...

Love destroys it... and forgiveness is divine, as they say

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

If that works for you, fine. I would be ashamed to go that route though. Remember, Buddhist stuff coming, "There are many different paths...." You've chosen yours, I accept and appreciate it. Will you accept mine?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

If that works for you, fine. I would be ashamed to go that route though. Remember, Buddhist stuff coming, "There are many different paths...." You've chosen yours, I accept and appreciate it. Will you accept mine?

absolutely... without a doubt.

Though if you chose to use Buddhist methods, remember he also taught love and respect for all...

If they are to spread hate, so be it... it hurts only themselves. If they are meant to understand these things, one day they will. If not... they make their own bed, let them lay in it.

Its true, there are many paths... so if you like buddha... lets see what buddha as to say....

“Hate is not conquered by hate. Hate is conquered by love. This is a law eternal”

“Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace”.

“You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection”.

“Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten”.

Be love my friend....

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Yes, I know what the Buddha says. Unfortunately He didn't live in the 21st century and know what perversions of religion that exists today, polluting our society . Secondly, I don't see Buddhism as a religion. It's a philosophy on how to live.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Yes, I know what the Buddha says. Unfortunately He didn't live in the 21st century and know what perversions of religion that exists today, polluting our society . Secondly, I don't see Buddhism as a religion. It's a philosophy on how to live.

So does living in a different time change the message he gives?

You don't realize that different belief systems much worse then what we have today existed when he gave us this message?

Secondly... i didn't say Buddhism is a religion. Though some do consider it as such.

but, since you brought that up. Do you think its possible Jesus traveled to india? I believe he learned much from buddhism, and likely other religions as well... Though the strange thing is, according to the story... he was also able to correct those teachers he learnt from...which astonished many considering his age...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No, they lived in different times but their message was the same. A good one. It's religion that's the problem. I made a statement years ago. Googled it and found it to be unique. I REALLY believe it. "Faith is a beautiful thing. Religion is dangerous." See what Ghandi pointed out:

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

www.brainyquote.com...

That's not just related to Christianity.

Take the message. Use it BUT remember, even Christ got pissed off once in the NT.

See my point?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

No, they lived in different times but their message was the same. A good one. It's religion that's the problem. I made a statement years ago. Googled it and found it to be unique. I REALLY believe it. "Faith is a beautiful thing. Religion is dangerous." See what Ghandi pointed out:

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

www.brainyquote.com...

That's not just related to Christianity.

Take the message. Use it BUT remember, even Christ got pissed off once in the NT.

See my point?

I've used that quote many times actually

He actually got mad a few times in the bible, but he had good reasons... He knew the path and walked it... Led by example if anything. As you can see here...

12And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,

13And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

And remember, Christ... was not Christian

edit on 8-10-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Sounds to me that we are saying basically the same thing. Except for crushing the WB church.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Sounds to me that we are saying basically the same thing. Except for crushing the WB church.

Of course we are...

And you will do as you will, i can't stop how you think...

I prefer to point in the right direction... Some will take notice, some will not...

But everyone is free to feel how they must

edit on 8-10-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

I highly doubt these people live by the bible. They live by what they want and ignore the rest because no God would approve of the hate they show towards others.

Doesn't the bible also say something about not judging others?

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Seems to me they are doing the OPPOSITE of what this verse says....The bible seems very contradictory imo and these people again pick and choose what they want to follow.

source

Im not a religious person by any means, more spiritual than anything but I have quite a few religious friends who don't like this church because of the hate they spread and how it makes the rest of the Baptist look bad and same for Christians.

This is a quote from one of my friends via FB on the link I posted about WB protesting Steve Jobs' funeral. She is a Baptist and lives in the bible belt so to speak:

Baptists are not nutjobs for the most part,any more than any other religion...its people like this ,however,that give the rest of us Baptists a bad rap.We are just normal people.Its really unfair to put us all in the same category.There are bad seeds in every religion,or group.I ,for one,say "Shame on you,Westboro Baptist Church!" And how sad that they dont see the destruction they themselves are bringing down around them.As for the rest of us,we will continue to pray for their lost souls.

~Lori

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
the longer i study it, the more i believe that the old testament is ancient egyptian religion from a hebrew perspective, and ancient egyptian religion is sumerian religion from an egyptian perspective, and that the old testament texts are frequently like reading some of the anecdotes and health laws of ancient egypt.

the hebrew laws, however, were stricter, mostly related to survival of the race in a time when diseases were rampant, medicine was primitive, and alot could be traced back to inappropriate sexual activity. what i mean by inappropriate is sexual activity in which multiple partners, corpses and animals, were common fare.

this "wanton" life style, lead to various diseases being passed around by body fluids, just like they are today. thus the laws started focusing on health related issues, such as dietary law, laws about appropriate sexual partners, laws about cleanliness.

we can't really say these don't apply to today because the human body still passes serious illnesses via body fluids, and the more people involved in your chain of sex partners, the more chances you'll catch something you don't want.

the issue here is, their decision to execute people who had inappropriate sexual activity.. that's not the realm of christianity. it's not our job to execute people for anything. jesus made that perfectly clear. that some christian people still make up excuses to kill other people, is wrong in my opinion, but i'm just one lil woman.
edit on 8-10-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Homosexuality in the Bible
Murder in the bible
Human sacrifice in the bible
Rape in the Bible
More disgusting quotes from the bible

So if everything Westboro says is commanded in the bible, who do you really hate: Westboro or your own religion?
If christians dont follow these rules why dont they worry about going to hell, you see to worry about doing other things in the bible.

Its testament to the brainwashing power of religions that christians follow their religion with heart and soul but not head.
Im sure many of you will say well we believe in love or that these quotes are irrelivant. But the fact is if you dont follow these things you are not a christian.

Can i answer this for real for you? You know the difference between Christianity and Catholicism right?

And the difference between the old testament and the new testament right?

And that no Christians existed until after Christ was killed right? And Christianity is different then Judaism..

Well Leviticus is an old testament book. So technically Christians can argue over which old laws are relevant. But in doing so run the risk of losing focus of the only Law that Jesus claimed was important. The LAW. Which is to Love.

Jesus said (paraphrasing) the sum of the law is to Love God (whom is Love, "God IS Love" (1 John 4:8,16)) and Love your neighbor.. Put simply, Jesus said LOVE is the law. Love governs ALL laws. Also, people should focus on the fact that they judge themselves, rather than running around judging other people.. as this goes against the law of laws.. loving one another. After all Jesus said to LOVE your enemy... So killing them is probably not really a legitimate expression of Love in his eyes.

Westboro is not Jesus. But like you, free to believe in whatever he chooses right? Judging him is pointless and detrimental to our own capacity to express love and truth. But it's probably safe to say that he could use a bit more God(Love) in his life.

edit on 8-10-2011 by rwfresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Because Westboro showcases how utterly silly the whole cult is as a whole.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
reply to post by novastrike81

What makes you think you have taught me anything? I reject your argument. However, I will check it in my Strong's Corcordance when I get home.

edit on 8-10-2011 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

On what basis do you reject my argument? I gave you the Greek word which is what the NT is written in. Hell is also NT theology.

It's hard to converse with Christians when they plug their ears and go la-la-la-la.

OK, I'm home now, and since you put some time and effort into your earlier post, it is only fitting that I do a little digging on my end. First, I looked up "Gehenna" in The Layman's Bible Encyclopedia, by William C. Martin. The article on Gehenna was quite short, less than a quarter of a page, but it did make a connection to Molech and the Valley of Hinnom. That rang a bell, so I went to Strong's. There, I found a reference to Jeremiah 19:5, where God denounces the burning alive of children to Baal, "...which I did not command or speak, nor did it come into My mind." Are you with me so far? So what you and a lot of other people are saying is that the same God who had NEVER so much as thought of something so horrible as burning someone alive will now proceed to cast lost sinners into everlasting fire. Does this make sense? A God of Love does not do this. That's my story, and it's sticking to me.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join