It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do christians hate Westboro?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by Frira

That "[emotions] are useless" is doubtful at best, utterly wrong is more likely.

Thats your opinion of course...

True, albeit supported by research.

Yet, you feel what you feel. You are not required to act on it, but the emotion of hate or love or anxiety or peace-- those come without conscious thought.

hate is an entirely conscious thought... Its based on prejudice...

Make up your mind-- you wrote that hate was an emotion-- and I agreed. Now you change your position so as to argue? Is that a result of conscious thought, or is there an emotion at work?

Children do not hate only because they haven't learned to as of yet...

Ha! You obviously don't have children!

Seriously, I believe you confuse prejudice with hate. Different things.

The few humans who appear not to have such emotions are psychotic in behavior-- no remorse, no empathy.

Quel Grandiouse assumption...

No. In short. A person who does not respond to an emotion-- called "flat affect" -- is generally showing a symptom of depression.
A person who does not have emotions (feels nothing while watching a relative burn) or does not have appropriate emotional responses (laughs, while watching a relative burn) is either psychotic or brain damaged.

Your complaint, while something of a moving target, seems to be about (1) the reaction to an emotion-- "this makes me uneasy so I will condemn and verbally (at least) attack anyone who makes me feel that way" and/or (2) the learned prejudices -- "I believe these people are dangerous to me and my ideology, and so will condemn and act against them." In very general terms, we refer to either of those actions as "hate."

The primary instigator of action to an emotion is fear. From fear comes most of the so-called "negative" emotions: anger, rage, ire, frustration, and so on. "Fight or flight--" that is, confront the threat or flee from the threat, is an action of the part of the brain called the amygdala, which initial response is acting on the brain and causing the person to begin to act in physiological modes before it has begun to be reasoned.

That was off the top of my head, but a reasonable thumbnail sketch of how it works-- and you can look it up.

So, a person with a learned ethic-- formal teaching, or life experience or a combination of those two-- may identify a group of persons or specific behaviors which present a perceived threat. If little Jimmy remembers his Uncle Horace entering his room when he was little and "fiddling about", little Jimmy may see all homosexuals as a threat, find condemnation of it in the Bible to support his emotional response, and as an adult, therefore act on the emotion in a way we call, "hate."

Hate, as response to an emotion (fear) is normal, although not always accurate. Reason dictates whether the response is healthy or disordered.

Grandiose? No. Just well read, studied, practiced and such.

I am none of those things, and i do not hate anything...

Good for you.

So hate and all of the negative emotions are all part of the package

That doesn't mean you need that part of said package... its unnecessary.

There is nothing you can do about it. The emotion is presented to the reasoning part of the brain-- like it or not. You did not have a warm-fuzzy feeling to what I wrote, and you did not respond as if you did. What I wrote challenged your views and you didn't like it. Because it is clear in your deprecating words to me, if you claim otherwise, then we can talk about "denial" next.

and quite useful for our identifying threats; especially as we learn to make note of the emotion and then chose our actions based upon reason and any ethic (or informed conscience). Sometimes our intuitive feelings are wrong, but sometimes they are accurate.

I have no need to hate threats either... i don't appreciate such things, but if there is a threat i should be warey of, i can choose to avoid it.

By what magic?

I understand the story, i don't understand the point you're trying to make with it...

That persons who claim they never do anything they find to be wrong, have no conscience. It is delusional thinking-- or psychotic-- or some strange learned behavior which abhors introspection.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

Make up your mind-- you wrote that hate was an emotion-- and I agreed. Now you change your position so as to argue? Is that a result of conscious thought, or is there an emotion at work?.

It is an emotion, or a "feeling"... but if you consciously change how you think... that "feeling" isn't felt anymore... When you hate something you produce an extremely negitive... lets call it a "vibe"... And it can actually be felt from across a room...

Ha! You obviously don't have children!

Seriously, I believe you confuse prejudice with hate. Different things

LOL no i don't have any, though i do hope one day i will...

Seriously though, children do not hate until they are taught to... they do not feel hate... remember im not talking about dislikeing something. Every living creature has natural preferences.

and i know the differnence between hate and prejudice...

A person who does not respond to an emotion-- called "flat affect" -- is generally showing a symptom of depression.

That depends on the person, generally speaking everyone responds differently to each emotion...

A person who does not have emotions (feels nothing while watching a relative burn) or does not have appropriate emotional responses (laughs, while watching a relative burn) is either psychotic or brain damaged.

True... there would likely be a mental issue in both cases

Your complaint, while something of a moving target, seems to be about (1) the reaction to an emotion-- "this makes me uneasy so I will condemn and verbally (at least) attack anyone who makes me feel that way" and/or (2) the learned prejudices -- "I believe these people are dangerous to me and my ideology, and so will condemn and act against them." In very general terms, we refer to either of those actions as "hate.

i would not call those hate, if i dislike something i would not verbally attack it, or condem it... i accept it as something i dislike... and either avoid it or ignore it.

Learned prejudice is the issue... but i dislike the action or belief... not the person with said prejudices

The primary instigator of action to an emotion is fear. From fear comes most of the so-called "negative" emotions: anger, rage, ire, frustration, and so on. "Fight or flight--" that is, confront the threat or flee from the threat, is an action of the part of the brain called the amygdala, which initial response is acting on the brain and causing the person to begin to act in physiological modes before it has begun to be reasoned.

That was off the top of my head, but a reasonable thumbnail sketch of how it works-- and you can look it up.

Yes i know of that theory.... but we are not animals... we are more then just flesh. You have a choice to "fight or flight" but unlike animals, you also have a choice to not react to certian stimuli...

So, a person with a learned ethic-- formal teaching, or life experience or a combination of those two-- may identify a group of persons or specific behaviors which present a perceived threat. If little Jimmy remembers his Uncle Horace entering his room when he was little and "fiddling about", little Jimmy may see all homosexuals as a threat, find condemnation of it in the Bible to support his emotional response, and as an adult, therefore act on the emotion in a way we call, "hate."

Right, but remember i didn't say hate doesn't exist... i said its unnecessary.

Hate, as response to an emotion (fear) is normal, although not always accurate. Reason dictates whether the response is healthy or disordered.

i agree... though i would say society dictates what is healthy or disordered.

I like not being "normal"... i am who i am...

There is nothing you can do about it. The emotion is presented to the reasoning part of the brain-- like it or not. You did not have a warm-fuzzy feeling to what I wrote, and you did not respond as if you did. What I wrote challenged your views and you didn't like it. Because it is clear in your deprecating words to me, if you claim otherwise, then we can talk about "denial" next.

Who said i didn't like it? I thought this post was great, i'll even give you a star
I like it when people make me think...

By what magic?

LOL logical thought...

That persons who claim they never do anything they find to be wrong, have no conscience. It is delusional thinking-- or psychotic-- or some strange learned behavior which abhors introspection

where did i make that claim?

By what magic?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
WESTBRO ARE AN ILLUMINATI TOOL TO RAISE THE HATE TOWARD ANY ONE WHO TAKES THE BIBLE SERIOUSLY, AND CONFUSE THE PEOPLE IN THE CHURCH..THEY ARE NOT CHRISTIANS.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

And you're yelling why?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join