It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon....Who saw it last night and tonight.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boognish

Originally posted by busterbunni
reply to post by Arbitrageur

So which planet made my camera last month?

Jupiter. It has been visible since probably about August at least, maybe even earlier that that.

Venus is not visible currently, and has not been for a while. If I had to guess I would say it's been at least 4 months since it could be viewed.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Boognish because: (no reason given)

So Jupiter was visible in Aug.? Give me a link to look it up and I'll drop it, and thank you for being polite about correcting me if that is the case. I just have yet to find a source to tell me that what I saw in late Aug., all of Sept. and what has passed of Oct.are all Jupiter. Different months gave us different planets to look for (though my hubby was trying hard to prove me wrong about it being Sirius at first and a planet afterwards).

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

edit on 14-10-2011 by Boognish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

So Jupiter was visible in Aug.? Give me a link to look it up and I'll drop it,
It's been visible a long time. Remember it has a large orbit.

www.wheeloftheyear.com...

August Visible Planets
Morning...Mars, Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune (8/1-22), Mercury (twilight) (8/25-31).
Evening...Saturn, Neptune (8/22-31), Mercury (twilight) (8/1-9).
All Night...Neptune (8/22).

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by busterbunni

Well I know it was visible during part of the summer because I would see it on nights after playing softball. Let me see if I can find a link or something.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I'm sorry but I didn't realize you were trying to insult me until I re-read that insult you posted in my direction (I am a nice person that doesn't intentionally try to make others feel bad so I don't always get insults at first glance). I will no longer be responding to you, I was asking a genuine question by posting on this thread.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Jupiter was quite high in the night sky in August, at times in relatively close proximity to the moon.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Visible from dusk to dawn?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The only thing I saw was that It was orange. Sorry,

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

I hope this will do, it says Jupiter was visible even as early as July. The date of the video posting was July 17th.

Jupiter In July

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Orange? Like Betelgeuse in Orion or are we speaking about near the moon?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Boognish

I watched it and I apprechiate your research! I couldn't have found it. What is strange about it though is he talks about it's visibility in hourly increments, not days, weeks, or months?
edit on 14-10-2011 by busterbunni because: Grammar

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

He talks about it in hourly increments because that astronomy show is a weekly show. Therefore he was talking about how Jupiter would look on all of the days during a certain week in July.

Jupiter's location in the sky (rising time, etc.) would not vary that much during a single week -- i.e., it would rise and set pretty much the same time of the day all week (give or take a few minutes), and basically remain against the same backdrop of stars.

By the way, linked below is that astronomy show for this week (the show is dated October 14) and Jupiter is again being discussed. They say that Jupiter is heading toward peak visibility for 2011, being high in the sky at midnight and very bright, and near the moon toward the end of the week (the end of the week being today).

www.accuweather.com...

edit on 10/14/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

A month ago I looked it up and the response was it's Venus, this month I look it up and the response is it's Jupiter?
Who said it was Venus? Venus, being closer to the Sun than the Earth, never gets too far away from the Sun, so it can never be seen near the Moon close to the Full Moon, the farthest away it gets from the Sun when seen from Earth is less than 50º, so that's the maximum elevation above the horizon it can be seen.

How can one planet be named a different name if it's in the same orbital path, I've been watching it every night and I thought that planets are only visible sometimes to the naked eye?
Any thing can be named a different name, it doesn't mean it's right; I can call you Hillary Clinton, but that doesn't mean that's your real name.

Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and even Uranus are visible to the naked eye.

Sorry but after spending 20 years in the Northern most part of the US (30 miles from the nearest town), I've seen my fair share of weird stuff up there, but when I pointed it out to my hubby at first he told me it was the north star... I quickly corrected him.
That means you cannot trust your husband when talking about astronomy.

This light is visible with or without the moon present, and hasn't gotten any dimmer except behind cloud cover.
Why should the presence of the Moon make any difference?

I also have never in my life seen any planet that bright to the naked eye for weeks on end.
It's possible that, on other occasions when it was as bright or brighter, you couldn't see it for any reason, like bad weather.

Stellarium is for people that believe the goverment is looking out for your best interest. Personal experience and observation are key to a well rounded education.
That's a strange opinion, but you can use other programs, Stellarium is not the only one. Even better, you can learn how to make the calculations yourself.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

My own, my husband actually was told by Stellarium and another website that last month the brightest light other than the moon was Venus, which is why when he looked it up a couple of days ago since the light was still there he was amazed that they are now saying the brightest light other than the moon is Jupiter.

"Stellarium and another website"?

I didn't know that Stellarium's website had that kind of information. Could you please point it to us? Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

My own, my husband actually was told by Stellarium and another website that last month the brightest light other than the moon was Venus, which is why when he looked it up a couple of days ago since the light was still there he was amazed that they are now saying the brightest light other than the moon is Jupiter.

Are you sure you are not mis-remembering something?

Perhaps you read somewhere (maybe someplace other that stellarium) that Venus is generally the brightest object in the night sky, other than the Moon. This is true -- when Venus is visible.

However, perhaps the second time you read the information about Jupiter, it said that Jupiter is the brightest object in the night sky right now (and lately), other than the Moon. That would also be true, because Venus is not currently visible in the night sky.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

remember that stars are fixed points in space (if you take into account that every day the star has moved by 4 minutes) (well, in terms of human lifespans that is), but planets, comets, and the moon and the sun are not.......
so, today Venus MIGHT BE the brightest 'star' in the sky, but a month from now, Venus rises when the sun is already up, and if Jupiter is visible in the sky, then Jupiter, and sometimes Mars will be the brightest object ..... It all depends WHEN you look ....

I also suggest you try to look at the bright objects with binoculars, then you can see if what you are looking at is Venus or Jupiter ... Venus has no moons, and Jupiter has 4 beautiful moons that you can see through your binocs.... or better yet, spend some money on a nice little telescope (not a toystore variety though)

edit on 14/10/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

we don't smoke indoors because we have pets.

I am not going to ask. Nope.

But in my imagination, flashed...
Images of bulldogs painted on velvet, playing cards, cigars in the ashtrays.
Images of poodles snarling as the owner starts to light-up.
Images of cats and dogs moving about the house with oxygen tanks in tow, tubes under their little noses.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
I also suggest you try to look at the bright objects with binoculars, then you can see if what you are looking at is Venus or Jupiter ... Venus has no moons, and Jupiter has 4 beautiful moons that you can see through your binocs.... or better yet, spend some money on a nice little telescope (not a toystore variety though)
That's true, I wasn't expecting to see something like this when I thought of photographing it tonight.

Taken less than a hour ago, with a Samsung WB5000.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Nice photo ArMaP!

Wow, the moons showed up surprisingly well!

I'm impressed!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Very cool snapshot of the moon.
That looks cool.

Thanks for posting it.

GGGGGRRRRR

It is clear as night out, and I see no moon. I just see planes on approach.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join