It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon....Who saw it last night and tonight.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

If you have binoculars, you can see the three moons ArMaP photographed when Jupiter rises. Jupiter rises before the Earth's moon.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Grr. No binoculars.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

That's not the Moon, that's Jupiter and three of it's moons.

This is the Moon and Jupiter, taken yesterday and resized from 4000x3000 down to 15% (600x450) of its original size.

As Jupiter was so bright, today I thought it was a good idea to try to take some photos.

PS: the original photos are too big for ATS, but they are available to anyone who asks for them.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Ohhh ok, my bad.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Those are not horns...They're antlers, jeez.
Horns are permanent...Antlers are shed periodically...

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

That's not the Moon, that's Jupiter and three of it's moons.

But I think it was called Venus last month.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frira
In that position in the sky, it could only be called Venus by mistake or ignorance, Venus never gets that far from the Sun.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

In that position in the sky, it could only be called Venus by mistake or ignorance, Venus never gets that far from the Sun.

Uh... About a dozen posts about Jupiter being Venus in September responded to by a dozen more explaining Jupiter is Jupiter no matter what month. You missed those, huh? Thus, you missed the humor.

You got the joke about your inventing lying on the ground with one's head pointed north, right?

That is twice. Try and keep up, okay?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Thus, you missed the humor.
I may have missed it too. Seriously, sometimes on ATS I have a hard time telling who is being serious and who is joking. One person says it was Venus last month and they're serious. Then another person says it was called Venus last month and they are joking. If they don't use an emoticon like
, how am I supposed to tell which is which?

Just be glad you aren't telling your jokes to data:

Star Trek - Data laughing

Even when he gets it, it kind of takes the fun out of it!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Uh... About a dozen posts about Jupiter being Venus in September responded to by a dozen more explaining Jupiter is Jupiter no matter what month. You missed those, huh? Thus, you missed the humor.
I didn't miss the posts, but the possible humour on a post is hard to read. Even with people that I know for several years, sometimes it's hard to see that they are joking, not only because those things are difficult to show on a post, but also because English is not my natural language and even simple posts may be a little confusing to me, since I am only used to the English from books (mostly old, copyright free books) or technical articles, in which the language is much different from the one used by English speaking (even without accounting for the difference in English from the different countries) people on their everyday life.

You got the joke about your inventing lying on the ground with one's head pointed north, right?
That I got.

With what, the topic or the jokes?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I didn't miss the posts, but the possible humour on a post is hard to read. Even with people that I know for several years, sometimes it's hard to see that they are joking, not only because those things are difficult to show on a post, but also because English is not my natural language and even simple posts may be a little confusing to me, since I am only used to the English from books (mostly old, copyright free books) or technical articles, in which the language is much different from the one used by English speaking (even without accounting for the difference in English from the different countries) people on their everyday life.

That I got.

With what, the topic or the jokes?

Ah! The subtle idioms. All is clear now.

Your English is very good-- I doubt I would have guessed it was not your first language.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Thus, you missed the humor.
I may have missed it too. Seriously, sometimes on ATS I have a hard time telling who is being serious and who is joking. One person says it was Venus last month and they're serious. Then another person says it was called Venus last month and they are joking. If they don't use an emoticon like
, how am I supposed to tell which is which?

Just be glad you aren't telling your jokes to data:

Star Trek - Data laughing

Even when he gets it, it kind of takes the fun out of it!

What this world needs is a 5 second youtube video of Rodney Dangerfield saying, "Tough crowd!"
Heck, there I go with my idioms again.

I'll try to use emoticons-- but my eye ignores them when I read posts, so I tend to forget they exist.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by busterbunni
My own, my husband actually was told by Stellarium and another website that last month the brightest light other than the moon was Venus, which is why when he looked it up a couple of days ago since the light was still there he was amazed that they are now saying the brightest light other than the moon is Jupiter.

"Stellarium and another website"?

I didn't know that Stellarium's website had that kind of information. Could you please point it to us? Thanks in advance.

That is what is frustrating me right now, I can't bring back up any of the websites we were looking at last month, and we clear our browser history regularly. I was in the room with him so I know what we read TOGETHER, and I will keep looking. We also stood outside and identified Jupiter last night, which was not that light of course. Call it whatever you want and tell me I'm wrong when it's still visible when Jupiter isn't supposed to be. Jupiter CANNOT be visible from 8pm until dawn (as this was and has been last night and every night since I took a serious note of it) for two months straight. Stellarium described for us where to look it was the other websites that were detailing what HOURS (meaning not all night), and DAY(S ) of the specific month (not months on end).

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

My own, my husband actually was told by Stellarium and another website that last month the brightest light other than the moon was Venus, which is why when he looked it up a couple of days ago since the light was still there he was amazed that they are now saying the brightest light other than the moon is Jupiter.

I didn't know that Stellarium's website had that kind of information. Could you please point it to us? Thanks in advance.

That is what is frustrating me right now, I can't bring back up any of the websites we were looking at last month, and we clear our browser history regularly. I was in the room with him so I know what we read TOGETHER, and I will keep looking. We also stood outside and identified Jupiter last night, which was not that light of course. Call it whatever you want and tell me I'm wrong when it's still visible when Jupiter isn't supposed to be. Jupiter CANNOT be visible from 8pm until dawn (as this was and has been last night and every night since I took a serious note of it) for two months straight. Stellarium described for us where to look it was the other websites that were detailing what HOURS (meaning not all night), and DAY(S ) of the specific month (not months on end).

When Venus can be seen in the night sky...it is the next brightest object to the moon. Right now Venus can not be seen in the night sky so Jupiter becomes the next brightest object after the moon. I think what ever you read was just not understood in its correct terms.

Plus, Jupiter can be seen all night long. Where do you get such information of when Jupiter is not supposed to be visible?

Yes, right now, Jupiter can be observed throughout the entire night and on till the sun rises..its well in the western sky at 7am still.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

When Venus can be seen in the night sky...it is the next brightest object to the moon. Right now Venus can not be seen in the night sky so Jupiter becomes the next brightest object after the moon. I think what ever you read was just not understood in its correct terms.

Plus, Jupiter can be seen all night long. Where do you get such information of when Jupiter is not supposed to be visible?

Yes, right now, Jupiter can be observed throughout the entire night and on till the sun rises..its well in the western sky at 7am still.

Right now meaning Aug., Sept., and Oct. through the entire night? So when will Jupiter not be visible?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by busterbunni

Did anyone yet steer you towards the program www.stellarium.org... ?

It's free to download...and, unlike GoogleEarth, you do not have to be online to use it.

There is a lot it can do in terms of where you want to place "yourself" for point-of-view (you can visit most planets, and some moons in our Solar System), plus there is a date function, to go back or forward in time. Pause, fast forward, rewind, etc too.

I took a "trip" to Mars the other day, to watch its moons Phobos and Deimos orbit. Deimos is so close, low, in its orbit that it appears to rise in the West, and set in the East....because though Mars is rotating underneath, Deimos goes around one orbit in only 30 hours.....still, it orbits in the same direction as Phobos.

GIF from Wiki, to illustrate:

edit on Sat 15 October 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Lol, ok this is going nowhere, thank you all for you time.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Right now meaning Aug., Sept., and Oct. through the entire night? So when will Jupiter not be visible?

In April of next year, Jupiter may be too close to the Sun (from our viewpoint here on Earth) and be setting too soon after Sunset to be seen. In June 2012, Jupiter will pass behind the Sun, making it impossible to see from Earth. It will not be visible again until probably around late July 2012 when it will be rising a couple of hours before Sunrise, making it visible for a while each morning until the Sun comes up. By the middle of August 2012, it should be rising a little after midnight and by September next year it will again be visible for ,most of the night (like it is now).

So to answer your specific question, Jupiter will not NOT be visible from sometime in April until late July next year. As seen from earth, it will appear to be passing close to and behind the Sun during that time.

edit on 10/15/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

...We also stood outside and identified Jupiter last night, which was not that light of course. Call it whatever you want and tell me I'm wrong when it's still visible when Jupiter isn't supposed to be. Jupiter CANNOT be visible from 8pm until dawn (as this was and has been last night and every night since I took a serious note of it) for two months straight....

Jupiter is very much visible from 8 PM until dawn at the moment, and it has been that way for several weeks now. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure why you say that it "cannot" be visible during that time of the night, because it certainly is visible all night from 8 PM until sunrise.

Although, to be more specific, the rising times have been of course been changing in the past several weeks. About 4 weeks ago, it was rising at 9 PM, not 8 PM. Six weeks ago, it was rising at about 10 PM, and two months ago it was rising around 11 PM. However, in each case, after it rises, it is then visible all night until dawn.

By the end of this year (November and December), Jupiter will be rising around the same time the Sun is setting, and Jupiter will be setting during the early morning hours before the sunrise -- so it won't be visible until dawn -- it will set before the dawn.

edit on 10/15/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
To add one more thing to my post above (I'm past the editing time)...

...If you saw a very bright star high in the sky at 8 PM two months ago, then maybe you saw the star Vega. It's very bright, and has been tracking across the night sky high in the sky lately, just like Jupiter has been in the past few weeks.
edit on 10/16/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join