It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I don't have much to offer but I'm more in the 'empathy, put myself in others shoes, wonderfully unbiased listener' sort. I haven't had any psychology training save a few classes in college. But people DO need someone who can listen, understand, help them see the power in themselves to get past a bad situation, feeling, day, etc. I could offer that. I could offer good advice -which I'd not be trying to make them do but help them find the answers in themselves. I'm great at motivational speaking.

I could offer music. I have played piano since about 4 years of age (38 now) and come up with my own 'symphonies' and play by ear and know tons of songs. Music is good for the soul. I do sing wonderfully as well.

I have strong values, morals; I have no teaching degrees but I'm very good with children; could help teach them the values of kindness, giving, doing your best; though hopefully the parents would also do so. I'm still of child bearing years so I could help bring one or two more into the population - though I would NOT lie down for any man just because. I do have morals after all.

So to the fighters, doctors, teachers, etc who have hands on things they can offer, I guess I have more of the 'what makes humanity human' things I can offer.

link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by popsmayhem
I have super sperm and better genes
then every man in your cowpound.
I can fertilize all the women with the best genetic code/dna
for you.
The next generation from me will be super compounders
For sure a keeper..

I started to ask you, "What makes your sperm so special?" but then I was afraid you'd answer the question.

I am second generation from Hitlers third reich of super humans..

Trust me on this. Let me in..

What is the man-women ratio?
edit on 7-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

That is a coveted role, and only the ultra-masculine, dominant male can fill it, and I'm already on my way past the village to my safe zone, LOL!

But, if they want to bring me their women a couple at a time, I'll see what I can do for them.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

lets agree to disagree here same thing that has led us off a cliff that is leading us to that day

thats what current life is right now people who cant fend for themselves banded together and have drug everyone down in the process.

i am a big believer in individualism and i do know no man is island but a community is only as good as the people in it.
edit on 7-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
More than likely I would not want to stay, however, I would not mind meeting some new possible allies. I would probably prefer to keep moving. But, I am good with my hands, self-taught jack of all trades master of none. I am also a pretty good scavenger. I would be willing to offer my services in trade for something else, maybe an over night stay or something or long enough to help with any needed task, then I am gone again.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by neo96
yeah im not a big fan of survival communities

why the hell would you give other people power over you in a shtf?

yeah there may be saftey and security there but that can go either way.

in my humnbe opinion a true survivalist doesnt need to prop themselves up with others granted that wont work all the time but the majority of the time its preferrable.
edit on 7-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

I actually agree with you. But sometimes, it's necessary to band together to survive. Humans have done this since our race began. There's also the aspect that we need the interaction with other humans, especially in a scary, uncertain SHTF scenario. There's comfort in sitting around the campfire.

In all honesty I see where you are going with that, but to me I personally feel more nervous in a group of poeple. Especiallywhen they stcik out like a sore thumb on the landscape.

If they have erected walls and are attempting to secure themselves there is a good reason,and like Red hair already said, you are grossly outnumbered.
In a world thrown into Chaos who is to say people will not think you are attempting to make a militant army of some kind?
I also made it a point to say I felt like I was walking into a trap, so as you can see I am already paranoid with your little patch of survival.
If you are picky about letting people in, it is only a matter of time before you widen your search for more resources when you begin to run low. Will you take from people who don't have the firepower you have when crap get's really bad during some cold winter?

I think it is a slippery slope to have a community, because the next thing you know they may start sending out tendrils with the mind to take from weaker people in order to sustain their growing needs.

My opinion of course.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Skills= Auto repair, bike repair, repair of anything electronic and electrical like radio sets, computers and other things, repair of most simple mechanical devices including firearms, ability to fix hydraulic and pneumatic devices, black smithing skills, ability to do many types of simple medical procedures, know a lot about herbal medical preparation (blame no health insurance for that one), know how to grow plants and garden efficiently, know how to grow gourmet and medicinal mushrooms, know the basics about food preservation, and last but not least, simple organic and inorganic chemistry and equivalent commodity identification thereof.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Are you guys going to argue all day about the validity of this community, or come and let me in the gate?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I guess you do not what the convenience of electricity or even communications then? Guards have been awful silent towards me in the first page.

I believe these small communities are going to be necessary for mankind to recover. Eventually these small communities will start communicating and trading, eventually leading to larger communities. Eventually these will become the reboot of human society.

Do some of the readers honestly think that mankind will remain in "Mad Max" mode for the rest of the Human race's existence?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think based on some of the answers here I will give this community a very very wide berth.
Who is to say that the bacon I smell cooking inside is really bacon at all?

I think I will camp out in your general area for a week or two, and recon your area every few nights, to get a better idea of what I am walking into.

I am suspicious,....As I should be.

This assumption is made based on a totally worst case scenario. Like months after a nuclear holocaust or after a large asteroid strike.

edit on 7-10-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Reminder to self. Find night vision scoped rifle and take care of that pest who keeps me up at night by triggering the alarms.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Forming an overt community like this in a time when people are in sever need, and then having no other option but to be selective about who islet in is in my opinion foolhardy. Mainly because it is like ringing the dinner bell for a thousand hungry people, and word is spreading fast.

When a horde comes and you obviously deny them they will start camping out beyond your walls, numbers ever growing. The day will come when they decide getting shot is better than starving to death.

It will be a bad day.

I already have a mind to lure some of your guards out into the night if I can.
Pissed peoples can make a community a horrible place to live. It may turn into a nightly war of attrition wherein I, or a number of denied decide to assault the walls of your camp sporadically.
Hopefully that will raise doubts of safety inside your community and likewise begin a level of stress that hopefully grows until all hell breaks loose.

I'm such an A-hole

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal
Are you guys going to argue all day about the validity of this community, or come and let me in the gate?

If that's your pic in the avatar, you don't even have to ask. The gates will roll open as you approach.
No community ever had too many pretty women in it.

But, if you happen to trek through my camp first, we can use that to our advantage!!! An insider to plunder their supplies without all the risk of living in their big bullseye for marauding hordes! Join Me.

edit on 7-10-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I think at some point, both the community and the lone wolf are going to figure out that they need each other. Consider that back in the day, Trading Posts provided protection and a place to buy/sell/trade goods, but they needed trappers to maintain a study supply.

edit on 7-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I wouldnt ask to come in. Just like when I hunt I pick an animal out and then watch its behavior over a couple days. I want to know if its sick or acting odd. I want to know what it eats and where it drinks. If i held up my end of the bargain and everything seems right It gets to come home with me.

The fact is i will know everything within a few days. Your cameras and guards and nightvision. Your dogs will eagerly await my arrival. I may even let them lean on me and lick my face while i watch everything from the shadows. They will feel a stronger bond to me than you. I will come and go when i please and other than that sense there is someone there and you look and there isnt, you wont know a thing.I may even be hidden but present at your meetings. I will assess your supplies and determine how long you can hold out. If I take a liking to your group you may even 'find' things every so often when you go out that will help you. May become a hidden ally you never knew you had. depends on you. A secret overwatch.

But I know as long as i dont take anything or break anything or leave anything out of place....you will never know im there right with you. Its not like im going to stand there and read over your shoulder. there is a methodology. If i get in a jam you will likely be responding to a diversion as I leave. There are contingencies.

If i find your a nest of cannibals I will likely trap you all together and then finish up. Or I may poison your water supply if your eating people and watch as everyone slowly begins to come down sick, then high grade your supplies and cart them off right in front of you while your unable to do anything. I hate cannibals, so its cooks choice how they go. whatever way im feeling at the time. Regardless when its done I will leave scorched earth and probably stake a sign into the ground so everyone who comes will know what happened and why.

The answer is: I wont ask and you wont know im there.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I think at some point, both the community and the lone wolf are going to figure out that they need each other. Consider that back in the day, Trading Posts provided protection and a place to buy/sell/trade goods, but they needed trappers to maintain a study supply.

That is true for the most part, but it depends entirly on the scenario here.

how dire id the situation?

If it is nothing more than a unplanned return to a simpler life of bartering and trading then I can see the community eventually becoming an open town .

But they are not an open town and in fact are in such dire straights themselves that they are turning away people who do not meet their criteria for entry.

This tells me that times are bad,...Real bad, and in fact may be extreme post apocalyptic. The lone wolves can not be trusted any more than a group of militant community dwellers.

Maybe in time they will become more sufficient at sustaining themselves, but for now the Crap has really hit the fan.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
I wouldnt ask to come in. Just like when I hunt I pick an animal out and then watch its behavior over a couple days. I want to know if its sick or acting odd. I want to know what it eats and where it drinks. If i held up my end of the bargain and everything seems right It gets to come home with me.

The fact is i will know everything within a few days. Your and guards and nightvision. Your dogs will eagerly await my arrival. I may even let them lean on me and lick my face while i watch everything from the shadows. They will feel a stronger bond to me than you. I will come and go when i please and other than that sense there is someone there and you look and there isnt, you wont know a thing.I may even be hidden but present at your meetings. I will assess your supplies and determine how long you can hold out. If I take a liking to your group you may even 'find' things every so often when you go out that will help you. May become a hidden ally you never knew you had. depends on you. A secret overwatch.

But I know as long as i dont take anything or break anything or leave anything out of place....you will never know im there right with you. Its not like im going to stand there and read over your shoulder. there is a methodology. If i get in a jam you will likely be responding to a diversion as I leave. There are contingencies.

If i find your a nest of cannibals I will likely trap you all together and then finish up. Or I may poison your water supply if your eating people and watch as everyone slowly begins to come down sick, then high grade your supplies and cart them off right in front of you while your unable to do anything. I hate cannibals, so its cooks choice how they go. whatever way im feeling at the time. Regardless when its done I will leave scorched earth and probably stake a sign into the ground so everyone who comes will know what happened and why.

The answer is: I wont ask and you wont know im there.

Role playing are fun huh?

ETA: I thought I would add that this comment was not meat to be snide.
I wanted to change it so I sounded less like the lone wolf guard killing prick that this hellish and dystopic world has forced me to become.
edit on 7-10-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

You all gave a little more info than at the time I was willing to give.
I am right there with you. I like the shadows and trenches better.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

They got raided by Indians too.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

You have a point. I went from shtf/survival scenario to future adaptation and progress without defining the years between... So, is this The Stand or The Road scenario? If it's more like The Road, that would be the worst case scenario, how to move past that stage? I think I'd rather be at sea...

edit on 7-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join