It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Why do people say "God" without giving the specific name of said God?

page: 3
7
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U
 



Thats not God's real name. "Jehovah" is a Hybrid name that Charles Taze Russel invented cause he didn't whant to call him by his real name "Yahweh". Jehovah Witness Religion is made up from a 33 degree masonic member, name Charles Taze Russel.




posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
God is a personal thing. We tend to know God as The Great Architect of The Universe (TGAOTU). I believe God to be the all creative force behind the whole of existance. It has no personality and resides within us all. I therefore feel that God has no name and would prefer TGAOTU or God to signify a being or force that is infinately more superior than I.

I do not know or understand God, to do so would make me as God. I do not prey to God or am I fearfull of God. Although I do acknowledge and respect God for what it is.


That's my idea also. I call it GUS, the Great Universal Soul.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus
 


Thank you for sharing this. 1 just feels the GODs are known but the CREATOR OF ALL IS NOT. SO as 1 tries to be humble with any religious influences 1 tries to call the GOD. I do think there is a ancient names of them, the written in the Bible and Tora and Quran. If you seek as far back as possible you may find some 7000 - 8000 years ago. its a messy situation 1 thinks made by deceptors intentionally to leave many in easy mind states to influence.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human4life
reply to post by nuttin4U
 



Thats not God's real name. "Jehovah" is a Hybrid name that Charles Taze Russel invented cause he didn't whant to call him by his real name "Yahweh". Jehovah Witness Religion is made up from a 33 degree masonic member, name Charles Taze Russel.


Really???? hmmmm....that's interesting considering this:

Jehovah (pronounced /dʒɨˈhoʊvə/) is an anglicized representation of Hebrew יְהֹוָה, a vocalization of the Tetragrammaton יהוה (YHWH), the proper name of the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible.[1]

יְהֹוָה appears 6,518 times in the traditional Masoretic Text, in addition to 305 instances of יֱהֹוִה (Jehovih).[2] The earliest available Latin text to use a vocalization similar to Jehovah dates from the 13th century.[3]

Most scholars believe "Jehovah" to be a late (ca. 1100 CE) hybrid form derived by combining the Latin letters JHVH with the vowels of Adonai, but there is some evidence that it may already have been in use in Late Antiquity (5th century). It was not the historical vocalization of the Tetragrammaton at the time of the redaction of the Pentateuch (6th century BCE), at which time the most likely vocalization was Yahweh. The historical vocalization was lost because in Second Temple Judaism, during the 3rd to 2nd centuries BCE, the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton came to be avoided, being substituted with Adonai "my Lords".

And, after all that...did you GET NOTHING from what i wrote, like:

Jehovah Jireh - the LORD my provider.

Next time you're starving....or your bills cant be paid...try calling on Jehovah Jireh and not "Uncle Sam"!

I guess people don't understand the significance of a NAME! You can't call the police to put out a fire. Know what i mean?

And, Jehovah Witnesses are nothing more than a religious organization...like: Christianity, Judaism, Buddists, Krisnah's, Muslim....uhhhhh what others?

People need to build their OWN relationship with "God"; not follow fleshly man! God is a SPIRIT and those that worship HIM must worship HIM in "spirit" and IN TRUTH!
edit on 7-10-2011 by nuttin4U because: grammatical



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The name Jehovah appears in the King James Version and other Bible translations, some prefer to use the name Yahweh instead of Jehovah. Which name is correct?

The most ancient Bible manuscripts were written in the Hebrew language. In the Hebrew Scriptures, the divine name occurs almost 7,000 times and is spelled with four consonants—YHWH. The four-consonant words are commonly called the Tetragrammaton, or Tetragram, derived from two Greek words meaning "four letters." Now the question of accurate pronunciation arises because early Hebrew writing consisted of consonants with no vowels to guide the reader. So the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton becomes Yahweh. Today many Hebrew scholars prefer Yahweh as the true pronunciation.

However, consistency favors Jehovah. In what way? The pronunciation Jehovah has been accepted in English for decades. Those who object to using this pronunciation should also object to the use of the accepted pronunciation Jeremiah and even Jesus. Jeremiah would need to be changed to Yir·meyah' or Yir·meya'hu, the original Hebrew pronunciations, and Jesus would become Ye·shu'a` (Hebrew) or I·e·sous' (Greek). Hence, many Bible students, including Jehovah's Witnesses, feel that consistency favors the use of the already well-known English-language "Jehovah" and its equivalent in other languages.

The name of God has four consonants, it is a universal name that every language can pronounce, there is no need to call him any other than "Yahweh" YH/WH
edit on 7-10-2011 by Human4life because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Human4life


Hi Human4

Actually 'YHWH' the sole post-exilic male clan god of the benei Yisro'el (worshipped as a sole male national clan-god in post Exilic Yisro'el without his wife sherah etal. or any goddess consort or god-sons - cf: 'Hear o Yisroel, YHWH is our clan godd, YHWH alone !!, the so-called Shema'q- mis translated as 'The LORD our God the LORD is one - which makes no grammatical sense at all (cf: the gross mis-trans-literation of YHWH as 'Jehovah' in the King James Versions of 1611 which had to be re-printed over 8 times to get even the basic errors our !!) was ACTUALLY pronounced "Yah-Weh" from very ancient times - just as it states in the vowelled Greek Septuaginta LXX version of the Torah (compiiled c. 250 BCE out of Alexandria)

See: the spelled out version in the LXX of YHWH as Ya-weh (or even Yah-wuh) in Exodus chapter 3 - the Greek LXX translation being a MUCH older version of the Hebrew 'scriptures' (very similar to several families of MSS in the Dead Sea Scroll versions i.e. those particular copies that were not actually of the protoMT manuscript families) and was based on very DIFFERENT Hebrew consonantal texts than the later so-called Masoretic text c. 1000 CE used by most Rabinnic Jews and Protestants today in their respective 'bibles' the MT was copied out in full only when the Masoretes added their own version of the vowel-pointing (many rival Jewish groups in antiquity did not regard the 'Babylonian vowel pointing traditions' of the Masoretes reflected in the Leningrad Codex to be very accurate !)

At any rate the Greek Septuaginta pointing (vowel-sounding out) of YHWH is clearly Yahweh, and NOT 'Jehovah" which is the 'Shakespearean English' way of pronouncing the name using the vowells of eDoNai ('my LORD') - edonai was used by Rabinnic Jews from the middle ages to read outloud each time they came across the Tetra-Grammaton (YHWH) in any Hebrew text - and the Masoretic Text (c. 1000 CE) in the Leningrad Codex places these exact Vowell Pointing Marks (e - o - a) underneath YHWH whenever it appeared - to remind the speaker to say EDONAI and not Yah-weh when they came to it.

The fact that the King James versions mis-understood this of course is no excuse for them - to-day scholars (and thinking persons) simply use Yahweh or merely write out the consonants YHWH whenever they wish to refer to the post Exilic national clan-god of the Jews ('benei Yisro'el' i.e. the sons of Yisro'el) as opposed to other gods out there in the wild.

The fact that most modern-day English speaking persons (by and large) are NOT even aware that the clan-god of the 'bible' is even a national clan god at all (as opposed, say, to a more acceptable and 'Universal' godlike divine entity - who does not hate and necessarilly want to exterminate 'Amalekites' and other 'gentile nations' and 'play favourites' with his own clan !) is of course no excuse for them.

English speaking persons to-day still bandy terms like 'God' around without giving much thought to the actual history which lay behind some of their more crude presuppositions about how the universe actuall works !!!



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
Judeo-Christian has God's real name as taboo to use.


Which is so odd considering it means I am who I am which is not really a name.
Almost sounded like he was telling Mosses...non of yer dam business what my name is!



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus
 


Its because God = Goodness. And the others seem like the names of demiurge's to me so I certainly don't trust them.


When I pray to Dad and Mom, I pray to the Highest Love and Goodness in Existence in the Reality and the Truth.
No mistakes. No traps to fall in.
By the intentions of my heart and not what anyone coded words to mean, so be it. To Infinity and Beyond.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius
 


God can be called many things, and it depends on the person's individuals, beliefs, and religion. That is why lol.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sigismundus
reply to post by Human4life


Hi Human4

Actually 'YHWH' the sole post-exilic male clan god of the benei Yisro'el (worshipped as a sole male national clan-god in post Exilic Yisro'el without his wife sherah etal. or any goddess consort or god-sons - cf: 'Hear o Yisroel, YHWH is our clan godd, YHWH alone !!, the so-called Shema'q- mis translated as 'The LORD our God the LORD is one - which makes no grammatical sense at all (cf: the gross mis-trans-literation of YHWH as 'Jehovah' in the King James Versions of 1611 which had to be re-printed over 8 times to get even the basic errors our !!) was ACTUALLY pronounced "Yah-Weh" from very ancient times - just as it states in the vowelled Greek Septuaginta LXX version of the Torah (compiiled c. 250 BCE out of Alexandria)

See: the spelled out version in the LXX of YHWH as Ya-weh (or even Yah-wuh) in Exodus chapter 3 - the Greek LXX translation being a MUCH older version of the Hebrew 'scriptures' (very similar to several families of MSS in the Dead Sea Scroll versions i.e. those particular copies that were not actually of the protoMT manuscript families) and was based on very DIFFERENT Hebrew consonantal texts than the later so-called Masoretic text c. 1000 CE used by most Rabinnic Jews and Protestants today in their respective 'bibles' the MT was copied out in full only when the Masoretes added their own version of the vowel-pointing (many rival Jewish groups in antiquity did not regard the 'Babylonian vowel pointing traditions' of the Masoretes reflected in the Leningrad Codex to be very accurate !)

At any rate the Greek Septuaginta pointing (vowel-sounding out) of YHWH is clearly Yahweh, and NOT 'Jehovah" which is the 'Shakespearean English' way of pronouncing the name using the vowells of eDoNai ('my LORD') - edonai was used by Rabinnic Jews from the middle ages to read outloud each time they came across the Tetra-Grammaton (YHWH) in any Hebrew text - and the Masoretic Text (c. 1000 CE) in the Leningrad Codex places these exact Vowell Pointing Marks (e - o - a) underneath YHWH whenever it appeared - to remind the speaker to say EDONAI and not Yah-weh when they came to it.

The fact that the King James versions mis-understood this of course is no excuse for them - to-day scholars (and thinking persons) simply use Yahweh or merely write out the consonants YHWH whenever they wish to refer to the post Exilic national clan-god of the Jews ('benei Yisro'el' i.e. the sons of Yisro'el) as opposed to other gods out there in the wild.

The fact that most modern-day English speaking persons (by and large) are NOT even aware that the clan-god of the 'bible' is even a national clan god at all (as opposed, say, to a more acceptable and 'Universal' godlike divine entity - who does not hate and necessarilly want to exterminate 'Amalekites' and other 'gentile nations' and 'play favourites' with his own clan !) is of course no excuse for them.

English speaking persons to-day still bandy terms like 'God' around without giving much thought to the actual history which lay behind some of their more crude presuppositions about how the universe actuall works !!!


Now thats what I call the truth, good work.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius
 


Don't you think the creator of the Universe was around before names existed?

Any "naming" is a lesser type of identification used only by humans.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius
 


If someone were a Christian and referred to God in any since why would they specify which God they were talking about if they only believed in one God? It isn't cockiness, its their belief. People shouldn't be offended by what someone else believes.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TexasLiberty
 


They can call their gods or god whatever they whant to call them, but do not! call the God of creation any other name than YH/WH.. Yahweh.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human4life
The name Jehovah appears in the King James Version and other Bible translations, some prefer to use the name Yahweh instead of Jehovah. Which name is correct?

The most ancient Bible manuscripts were written in the Hebrew language. In the Hebrew Scriptures, the divine name occurs almost 7,000 times and is spelled with four consonants—YHWH. The four-consonant words are commonly called the Tetragrammaton, or Tetragram, derived from two Greek words meaning "four letters." Now the question of accurate pronunciation arises because early Hebrew writing consisted of consonants with no vowels to guide the reader. So the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton becomes Yahweh. Today many Hebrew scholars prefer Yahweh as the true pronunciation.

However, consistency favors Jehovah. In what way? The pronunciation Jehovah has been accepted in English for decades. Those who object to using this pronunciation should also object to the use of the accepted pronunciation Jeremiah and even Jesus. Jeremiah would need to be changed to Yir·meyah' or Yir·meya'hu, the original Hebrew pronunciations, and Jesus would become Ye·shu'a` (Hebrew) or I·e·sous' (Greek). Hence, many Bible students, including Jehovah's Witnesses, feel that consistency favors the use of the already well-known English-language "Jehovah" and its equivalent in other languages.

The name of God has four consonants, it is a universal name that every language can pronounce, there is no need to call him any other than "Yahweh" YH/WH
edit on 7-10-2011 by Human4life because: (no reason given)


Ok...ok...i see everyone wants to get technical, regarding what HE should be called. So, let me BREAK IT DOWN, to it's SIMPLEST form: God's name.........is FATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Our FATHER in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name." (Matt 8-13)

AND...."For you did not receive the spirit of BONDAGE, again to fear, but you received the SPIRIT of ADOPTION by whom we cry out, "ABBA, FATHER!" The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are CHILDREN OF GOD, and if CHILDREN, then HEIRS- heirs of GOD and joint heirs with CHRIST,-(the anointed one and HIS anointing), if indeed with suffer with HIM, that we may ALSO be glorified together." (Rom.8:15-17)

Now, if i'm NOT mistaken, i think the scripture mentions: "God" and "Father".....ONE in the same! No?

Jesus' whole ministry was to REVEAL the FATHER. Jesus showed, by example, that God was INSIDE! HE dwelt in the HEART of men! People had the WRONG perception of God, and Jesus came...to show people A DIFFERENT WAY. He came to show God as a FATHER....not as a "smitterer"!

Even in this conversation....religious minds are always at work; at the 1st mention of B.I.B.L.E. or God. Everyone 'thinks' they know...cuz they've READ IT (past tense). People 'think' they know something cuz they read the book, once or twice...but have hardly STUDIED IT. They've glimpsed through it...saying they've "read it". They BELIEVE it can be read from Genesis to Revelation.....and 'get something'. And it's just NOT that simple. Satan knows God's WOOOOOOOOORD, also...because in the beginning was 'the WORD' and the 'WORD' was with God and the "WORD" was God." (John 1:1) that's why Satan got y'all leaving in debt, fear, pride, etc.....cuz you don't KNOW God's word!!!!

See, in God's KINGDOM......HIS CHILDREN are EXPECTED to live ABOVE expectations. They are REQUIRED to live in the world....but not OF the world. There are certain GUIDELINES...that are to be kept and followed.....to the best of our ability.....not for the sake of 'religion' but for OUR sake. To make us BETTER people. People that love, and forgive, and care for one another....not people that are greedy, selfish, prideful, while sitting up in church...talking about "Praise the Lord".

When we work...our work should GLORIFY HIM, by being the BEST it can be....not some, half-ass, do it to get it over with, and get paid, type of ordeal. When we WORK, we should work unto HIM, FOR HIM; knowing that HE rewards HIS CHILDREN! Hence, the Cain and Abel story.

Abel wasn't BETTER than Cain! Cain gave his sacrafice HALF-HEARTEDLY, and Abel GAVE GOD HIS BEST!!!! IN Spirit.

Also, God's people aren't expected to be weak and defeated...we are supposed to be MORE THAN CONQUERORS....."trampling over serpants and scorpions, and nothing, by any means shall harm us. Instead, we're the one's being CONQUERED and TRAMPLED on, by Satan's followers!

So, how bout this....how bout we call God..........FATHER! Considering HE IS a FATHER to the fatherless! (Psalms 10:14)

The B.I.B.L.E. is a WEAPON and y'all are shootin' BLANKS! Learn how to use your weapon....properly! For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
For me.....it don't matter. I don't care what anyone calls their God...cause they are all ONE, imo. If there is one more than one....just call them all God? I just don't think it matters....AT ALL.

I don't think God cares what you call him. God, seems like a good name....but like me, I go by many names and have been called many names.
I don't care.

Jesus and God are in my vocabulary a lot......however I don't like to label myself as in a religion. I just want to be able to be with my belief and left be.

edit on 7-10-2011 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Some may argue that it does not really matter whether you address Almighty God by a personal name or not, and they are content to speak of and address God as Father or simply as God. Both these terms, however, are titles rather than names and are neither personal nor distinctive. In Bible times the word for God ('Elo·him', Hebrew) was used to describe any god—even the pagan Philistine god named Dagon. (Judges 16:23, 24) So for a Hebrew to tell a Philistine that he, the Hebrew, worshiped "God" would not have identified the true God whom he worshiped.

Of interest is a comment in The Imperial Bible-Dictionary of 1874: "[Yahweh] is everywhere a proper name, denoting the personal God and him only; whereas Elohim partakes more of the character of a common noun, denoting usually, indeed, but not necessarily nor uniformly, the Supreme. . . . The Hebrew may say the Elohim, the true God, in opposition to all false gods; Yahweh is the name of the true God only. He says again and again my God . . . ; but never my Jehovah, for when he says my God, he means Yahweh. He speaks of the God of Israel, but never of the Yahweh of Israel, for there is no other Yahweh. He speaks of the living God, but never of the living Yahweh, for he cannot conceive of Yahweh as other than living."



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Human4life
 


I call my God...God.In MY eyes he is the creator of the universe.Say what you want and I will say what I want.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U
 


WOW!!!!


I was getting anxious while reading your words and just wanna give a shout to ya and say AMEN.....AND AMEN!!!!!!!! Whoooooooo Hooooooooo! Preach it!


I couldn't help myself.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Jesus' followers recognized the importance of God's name, and Jesus taught us to pray for God's name to be sanctified. So if any of you don't follow the teachings of Christ, your not in the right track of knowing the true God.

And that makes anyone who opposed the teachings of Christ a Antichrist, are you an Antichrist?
edit on 7-10-2011 by Human4life because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I call it Tao. It can be roughly thought of as the flow of the universe, or as some essence or pattern behind the natural world that keeps the universe balanced and ordered.

Tao is the reason Religion exists. It is the essence of "God". It is the essence of all religion focused on good.
edit on 7-10-2011 by MentalGiant because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
7
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join