It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS - Do you hate this "1% evil person"?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'm wondering if the OWS crowd hates this woman too? She is an example of what can be accomplished if people stop relying on the government, and start putting their future into their own hands.

So, OWS people, what did YOU do that makes YOU think YOU deserve MORE of HER money that SHE earned? Just curious. How much of her money is the woman allowed to keep?

Source

Welfare mom creates million dollar biz: how she did it

Trisha Waldron was 28 years old when she realized that the life she had drifted into was a dead end. She had gone from being a daughter to a wife to having her first baby at 22. Now single and barely surviving on food stamps in the Black Hills of South Dakota, she had no college degree, no work experience to speak of, and no clear idea of what to do with the rest of her life. She owned a tiny two-bedroom house from her divorce, and she had her two lovely little girls, ages four and six, but that was about it.

You can create your own life

One afternoon, volunteering at her daughters’ school, she heard a teacher tell the kids, “You can create your own life.” That sentence changed everything. As she puts it, “I knew I had to take responsibility for my own life. I had been running it according to others and things hadn’t worked out very well.”
She applied for a student loan and went back to school. The first year, she and her girls lived on welfare, food stamps, and odd jobs, but the second year, an opportunity presented itself and she grabbed it. An artist friend offered her a job assembling jewelry for a mail order catalogue in her spare time. She knew it wouldn’t be easy: she’d be in school all day, taking care of the kids in the evening, and then have to work late into the night at her kitchen table, but she’d be working for herself and be able to get off welfare.

Having a job and being in school built up Trisha’s confidence and she eventually proposed to the owner of the catalogue that she design his entire line of jewelry. She says, “As an entrepreneur you are always going to be confronted by things you don’t know, but you can’t let it stop you.” She went to the library and dove into teaching herself the basics of jewelry design as well as exploring Native American motifs from which she would draw inspiration. She recalls that she didn’t get a lot of sleep in those days.

Growing the business

Her business moved from the kitchen table to the garage where she installed a wood stove to keep it warm against the bitter South Dakota weather. Still, she had to work in gloves and a heavy coat during the winter. After two years, she decided she was ready for an even greater challenge and, in 1985, incorporated her own company.
From the beginning, Trisha was as excited by the cultures that informed her jewelry designs as she was by the final product. She learned the world was a whole lot bigger than Rapid City, South Dakota. She forged relationships with bead and stone vendors from Africa, India, and China.

Looking back, she says those relationships and the ones she developed with her staff made all the difference for the long-term success of her business. She explains, “At first, I had a super aggressive, take-no-prisoners approach. I might have gained something for myself but I wasn’t very nice to those around me. Eventually, I learned that you draw power as a woman in business by being compassionate and inclusive. This way, you can make long and loyal relationships.”

Her first million

After only five years in business, she had made her first million. But, as Trisha remembers, “Getting there was incredibly challenging, I learned by trial and error, I cried a lot. But I lived simply and didn’t need much to survive. I was in a small town and hired my girlfriends to help me. My neighbors pitched in with the kids. My big break came in 1987 when the catalogue of the Smithsonian Institution started featuring my work.”

Helping others help themselves

After winning the Smithsonian as a client, Trisha was able to move out of the garage into a proper jewelry studio. Other catalogues, such as the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, started picking up the line. When things got busy, she would hire as many as 40 other women, mostly single moms, to fabricate her designs out of their homes--just as she had when she first started.
In 2006, after over 20 years in business, Trisha sold her company to an employee and retired to California with her second husband.

Trisha’s advice for people who want to start their own businesses:

* Your responsibility is to be clear about your vision. Then you can ask others to help.
* There is a lot of assistance out there for entrepreneurs if you look for it: I learned bookkeeping from a volunteer group of retired accountants.
* Surround yourself with people who support you. A lot of people said I was crazy to start my own business as a single mom. But I had a few people who believed in me.
* Be okay with the knowledge that you won’t know how to do everything right away and trust that you can learn.
* Create a “mastermind group” – 2 or 3 people who are willing to have you bounce ideas off them every few weeks. I kept my group going for 10 years.
* Realize it will be hard, and accept that.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Yes?
Did I get it right?

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Everyone knows OWS is not targeting successful business owners. They are targeting the wall street, CEO, and banking fraudsters.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I honestly don't see or hear about people hating people in this movement.. But if you're receiving this type of vibe from the movement I can not help that my friend.

Please note that what this person is doing is great, she does not belong to the top 1% unless she's worth over 10 billion (give or take a couple billion) .. Just my opinion of course

Peace,

TWBU

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I do not beleive the sentiment is that all people that fall within the 1% of wealthiest americans should be hated. The general feeling is that the ones who can and do manipulate global and domestic monetary systems and holdings, and who manipulate governments and militaries for the sake of profits and clout are the ones who should be exposed and punished.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

i've noticed quite a bit here on ATS threads an Us vs Them mentality concerning the 99% movement... i think you'd have a hard time of finding any of these protesters "Hating" anyone... It's about corruption and the ever widening gap between the haves aand have nots -

Here is a link to view some of the 99%ers and their brief stories
wearethe99percent.tumblr.com...

Here is a link to livefeeds from around the country... Please read the comments being posted on the side of the video feed, you'll see this is a peaceful protest full of all sorts of ideas watch and read for a moment as the images and such change. It isn't about ideology... This is the time...
www.livestream.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

the 1% doesnt mean everyone who is rich, there are a lot of responsible wealthy people..but a dollar for one person means a dollar gets taken away from another, this is what we despise!
although the 1% are a target and we want them properly exposed and held accountable for their actions
its more about the system they have in place
there is nothing just about our world
people in western nations (many ats members) find it easy to argue against protesters, but many dont understand the real problems until they are clearly visible..which is what we want, exposure of the issues that have for too long controlled our world
hope this helps you and others trying to understand what we are fighting for
wether you like it or not, you are the 99%
edit on 6-10-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
HATE is a very strong word.

Now ask if I trust them?
No!

Ask if I believe they've earned that wealth?
No.

Should they be audited and taxed more?
Yes.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Congratulations to Trisha.

But, when she incorporated her own company, in 1985, how many employees started to work with her, and helped her making her first million?

I bet the 1985-incorporated company had some employees, and she didn't work alone.

Where are those employees who helped Trisha to make her first million back in the 80's ? How many of them are unemployed now? How many get their homes foreclosured in the recent crisis?

Why Trisha should not pay taxes to fund the Welfare for those people?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
Everyone knows OWS is not targeting successful business owners. They are targeting the wall street, CEO, and banking fraudsters.

But more importantly they need to target the Fed with precision. Not just say 'corporations' or 'bankers' or 'CEO's', but the source of it all which is the Fed.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I don't buy it. When I see the image below, I shake my head. Really, higher education is a "right"? Since when? I went into the military to get my electronics training, because my parents were too damn poor to pay for college. Also, when I see the amount her parents are in debt, it makes me sick. Did they honestly spend $120,000 on her education? My son is in college. He's going to an IN-STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE to do his core classes. It's about $1,800 per semester. Why couldn't she do that? Why do people feel they're entitled to a free higher education, out of state, and all the free room and board?

It's obvious with that price tag, she went out of state. That being said, I find it laughable that she had to pay out of state prices, but she probably supports someone in this country ILLEGALLY getting IN STATE prices. The irony, or is it just a travesty? I don't know.

Regardless, I don't see the calling for a "select 1%". No, I see them cozying up to the to the CP which will make their plight a million times worse. If they're not smart enough to see that, I'm no sure I really care to support their movement.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by satorian986

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

But more importantly they need to target the Fed with precision. Not just say 'corporations' or 'bankers' or 'CEO's', but the source of it all which is the Fed.

The FED is just a tool of the bankers. Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan give orders, and the FED obey.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLontra

But, when she incorporated her own company, in 1985, how many employees started to work with her, and helped her making her first million?

I bet the 1985-incorporated company had some employees, and she didn't work alone.

Where are those employees who helped Trisha to make her first million back in the 80's ? How many of them are unemployed now? How many get their homes foreclosured in the recent crisis?

Yikes, you're serious, aren't you? What stopped those other employees from getting off their asses, and start their OWN businesses? Why should someone who sacrifices their time and energy building a business then be considered a monster because THEY made it work? You seem like someone who doesn't work, won't work, and thinks everything should be given to you. Sad, really sad.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I don't buy it. When I see the image below, I shake my head. Really, higher education is a "right"? Since when? I went into the military to get my electronics training, because my parents were too damn poor to pay for college. Also, when I see the amount her parents are in debt, it makes me sick. Did they honestly spend $120,000 on her education? My son is in college. He's going to an IN-STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE to do his core classes. It's about $1,800 per semester. Why couldn't she do that? Why do people feel they're entitled to a free higher education, out of state, and all the free room and board?

It's obvious with that price tag, she went out of state. That being said, I find it laughable that she had to pay out of state prices, but she probably supports someone in this country ILLEGALLY getting IN STATE prices. The irony, or is it just a travesty? I don't know.

Regardless, I don't see the calling for a "select 1%". No, I see them cozying up to the to the CP which will make their plight a million times worse. If they're not smart enough to see that, I'm no sure I really care to support their movement.

In most countries of the world, Higher Education is a right, provided by the national government. In some of those countries, not a single cent is charged for tuition. Take Argentina, for example...

Why do you think Higher Education is not a right, but High School is a right? Would you like that there were no public High Schools, and that you needed to pay private High Schools for your kids?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3The first year, she and her girls lived on welfare, food stamps, and odd jobs, but the second year, an opportunity presented itself and she grabbed it.

I see. So you are now stating that you are in favor of welfare and food stamps while we all work to become millionaires? Because without welfare and food stamps, her story is not possible. And from what I have seen of your posts, in the past you havent agreed with food stamps or welfare. Hell, the tone of this post you wrote seems to be against any assistance at all, while posting the experieces of a woman who became a millionaire after using social programs for at least a year.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Yikes, you're serious, aren't you? What stopped those other employees from getting off their asses, and start their OWN businesses? Why should someone who sacrifices their time and energy building a business then be considered a monster because THEY made it work? You seem like someone who doesn't work, won't work, and thinks everything should be given to you. Sad, really sad.

Who called Trisha "a monster"? Not me. Just want that she pays her fair share in taxes.

Nobody got rich ALONE. She got help from her employees to get rich. Without them, she would never go anywhere. Her employees helped to generate wealth.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

In most countries of the world, Higher Education is a right, provided by the national government. In some of those countries, not a single cent is charged for tuition. Take Argentina, for example...

Why do you think Higher Education is not a right, but High School is a right? Would you like that there were no public High Schools, and that you needed to pay private High Schools for your kids?

Most countries? Are you sure about that?

I don't think higher education should be a right. No, I don't, and I'm paying for college for my son now. Like I said, it's community college, because that's what we can AFFORD! I'm okay with K-12 being funded by property tax dollars. However, I'd like to see healthy competition, and open up a voucher system to allow CHOICE in schools. Let's face it, the public education system is a joke. As for higher education, have you ever pondered why the cost is so high? Who's profiting? Is it the evil bankers (I don't like bankers, by the way), or is it the unions?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

A person making a couple of million in a small, incorporated business does not make them part of the 1%. In fact, it barely makes them upper-middle class which is currently evaporating.

So, no, we don't hate this woman, we want to help create many more folks like her.

We need a whole lot more millionairres, and a whole lot less billionairres!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Who called Trisha "a monster"? Not me. Just want that she pays her fair share in taxes.

Nobody got rich ALONE. She got help from her employees to get rich. Without them, she would never go anywhere. Her employees helped to generate wealth.

And... she paid them and their social security/unemployment govt levies for their efforts.
Her contract to them was fulfilled.Are you people just dense?
She was their boss not their"momma".

Added: it's not an employers responsibility to support you for life.You are not a slave to a company and neither is the business owner but "free agents" with the righ toenterin to "contracts"
edit on 6-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
OP, you also need to acklowdge that higher ed. debt is just one of many many topics the 99% want to change..... I will speak with others who want change until you wake up

Peace,

TWBU

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join