It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What just slammed the Sun?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

wrong.
use the aplett to go to the date mentioned (1957) and find the comet at perihelion, then adjust the view so that your perspective makes a line from earth to comet (they should look like they are one dot.
you can see that the line made by the orbit path (since the dust is supposed to be there trailing behind) and you'll see that a forward spike would not fall on that line.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

and finally:

can you point where all the 'dust' is on this recently photographed comet?

edit on 5-10-2011 by galactix because: added ?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by galactix

We do?

yep

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

You're right. At perihelion the antitail would not have been apparent. But by the 25th it was a different story. It turns out the antitail wasn't visible until some time after perihelion when the geometry was right. So I guess the comet decided to "discharge" on it's way out.

April 25.9-26.0. Stockholm Observatory plates, photographs by Darsenius, by Folgelquist, and by several other observers. The tails are quite symmetric, the ordinary tail has a length of about 30º and the anomalous tail has the appearance of a narrow rectilinear ray surrounded by a diffuse envelope.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

Interesting paper, with diagrams to explain the appearance of the antitail.
edit on 10/5/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wow!

I don't say that to a lot of posts here... I'm not an expert at reading these solar images -- but my "appreciation for physics" tells me that the object striking from one side causing a "burst" to go around the Sun and a solar flare on the opposite side means it had to be "really big."

It will be interesting to see if this increases radiation -- what will be the impact? Since it was at a right angle to our planet (we see it from the side) -- the good news is that most of the released solar winds will not be headed our way.

Objects hitting the sun are fairly common -- but I'm sure that this size object doesn't happen every year.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

for a short course on Plasma Discharge Theory (just 3 pages in largely plain english) i recommend you read this page and the three that follow.

it made a hellava lotta sense to me.....

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

That's the trouble. If you don't know much about science, pseudoscience can seem to make sense. If you ignore the evidence.
www.badastronomy.com...

edit on 10/5/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

So..am I the only one that's worried about a planet sized comet hitting the sun?

How did this slip by everyone?Could there be another one on the same path?I mean,it could have hit Earth!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodIsPissed

So..am I the only one that's worried about a planet sized comet hitting the sun?

That's been debatable but check out the Sun today. That's one mighty active star.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

define "know much about science".

i'm a licensed mechanical engineer and i spend at least 2 hours each day researching current topics and general discussions in almost every science topic.

"Well, McCanney is wrong. You'd better get used to reading that sentence. The way to tell is by looking at the predictions made by mainstream science versus McCanney. He says comets are hot and dry. Mainstream science says they are cold and icy. The obvious questions is, is there some way to tell? Is there some way to measure a comet's temperature? "

The obvious question is "is there some way to tell?"

yup : go there and LOOK:

those radio scope guys are looking at IONS.. lol. Of course they see them, the comet is electrically charged, drawing them in. You do know that what they measure with the scopes is not actual whole water, right? They measure the presence of hydroxyl radicals (ionic hydrogen/oxygen pairs) and assume that must mean water.

but when they went to see and actually measure the surface of the comet... there was no water.

huh.

edit on 5-10-2011 by galactix because: better reasoned

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

ok.
gotta wield the fact bat again.

so your "bad astronomy" debunking argument says "In fact, the temperatures measured are consistent with them being balls of frozen gases"

so a lil poking at the NASA deep impact mission results and we find a lot of non data, but i'll see if we can squeeze some inferences.

first a look at the comet via NASA

so that's it, right? calm lump of dark, very not gassy and very not icey.

so we go looking for actual numbers. From same article "The ice, however, covers roughly 300,000 square feet. And only 6 percent of that area consists of pure water ice. The rest is dust."

huh. 6%... and thats an inferred number based on a tiny sampling, with the idea that there MUST be water there, right?

how about temp? couldn't find any actual numbers, but i did find this

in it i find : "A thermal map indicates a surface in equilibrium with sunlight". Which is vague talk for "It was really warm"

come at me, bro

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

It was surprising that water ice was found on the surface of the comet at all. The water, and other volatiles are found inside the comet (as the impact demonstrated). When the comet is warmed as it approaches the Sun the volatiles sublimate, expand, and force their way to the surface, taking dust and other material with them. The surface ablates, exposing what was beneath.

“We have known for a long time that water ice exists in comets, but this is the first evidence of water ice on comets,” said Jessica Sunshine, Deep Impact co-investigator and lead author of the Science article. Tempel I
Note the difference between "in" and "on".

Based on this spectral data, it appears that the surface ice used to be inside Tempel 1 but became exposed over time. The team reports that jets – occasional blasts of dust and vapor – may send this surface ice, as well as interior ice, to the coma, or tail, of Tempel 1.

“So we know we’re looking at a geologically active body whose surface is changing over time,” Schultz said. “Now we can begin to understand how and why these jets erupt.”

www.nasa.gov...

I don't know how far Tempel 1 was from the Sun when Deep Impact hit it but, yes, the sunward side would be expected to get a bit more than warm. The surface of the Moon gets up to about 250ºF but it takes a while to get there. It's exactly that heat that begins to penetrate the surface of the comet which causes the volatiles to sublimate. While the thermal imagery did seem to indicate that there were no areas cold enough for water ice to exist on the surface, it was low resolution imagery. Subsequent spectral analysis revealed the absorption signature of water ice in pockets. Even in the low resolution imagery it can be seen that there is a great deal of temperature variation and that the ice was found in the coldest regions.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i'll get something together more substantial tomorrow (late here) , but i'll leave you with this:

"Although much has been written and many calculations performed on the ice ball comet model, it is difficult to imagine that the miniscule amount of solar radiation falling upon this nucleus can cause comas 1.5 x 1O^6 km in diameter and I 00 million km in length.(25) Furthermore, the comet must continually fill this space as the tail follows the comet in its orbit. Piecewise integration suggests that the comet would have to fill this volume at least 600 times during a single passage while inside the orbit of Mars and it is expected to do this on thousands of returns"

by McCanney

That is a LOT of matter that needs to come from what appeared to be a very quite comet surface...
How does all that STUFF get to the coma?

That comet was quiet, warm, dry, and filled with organic compounds

organic compounds.

more later

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
Wow!

I don't say that to a lot of posts here... I'm not an expert at reading these solar images -- but my "appreciation for physics" tells me that the object striking from one side causing a "burst" to go around the Sun and a solar flare on the opposite side means it had to be "really big."

It will be interesting to see if this increases radiation -- what will be the impact? Since it was at a right angle to our planet (we see it from the side) -- the good news is that most of the released solar winds will not be headed our way.

Objects hitting the sun are fairly common -- but I'm sure that this size object doesn't happen every year.

Any large object hitting the sun at right angles will cause flare on the opp side due to restitution in solid object like the sun

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
More water & comet related news.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Here's a link to their daily archives, the images might be in there somewhere.
Most recent is at the bottom. In the folders 2011_09/ or 2011_10/.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Interesting video...
Think it might have gone through?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
*DISCLAIMER* I know very little about this and i am only asking questions !

This universe is so vast its basically unimaginable. I cannot even comprehend the scale involved.

Isn't this plausible , you know something hitting something else. Its not really striking me as something "odd" or " biblical" that one object hits another over a certain amount of time.

Think of a busy road , over time two objects will collide.

We are all still alive so it wasn't that big a deal was it ?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

What just slammed the Sun?

lasco-www.nrl.navy.mil

N/A

www.youtube.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

When you explode a nuclear warhead at different levels in the atmosphere, you get a different effect at ground level.

What if the same experimentation was being done on the sun with nukes or other exotic black project weapons to see what the effect would be, which explains the missing data.

I think that TPTB are hip to the fact that the masses are waking up to their tyranny. What better way to get rid of 90% of the population than an event like a mass coronal ejection directed directly at the earth and the sell outs of humanity one mile below the surface enjoying life in a hole.

It’s just a thought.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WarChestNC

What if the same experimentation was being done on the sun with nukes or other exotic black project weapons to see what the effect would be, which explains the missing data.

I was thinking the same thing.What better way to cleanse the earth of the virus known as humans?

Which direction did the "comet" come from?

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join