It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Else Sick of Being Preached at on ATS? A Conspiracy Perhaps?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac
In so many threads we are being told that we are sinners, being told to repent, being told to invite JESUS (often with block capitals) into our lives.

Well I'm sick of it! If I wanted to be preached at I'd go to church!

This is supposed to be a conspiracy website.

Some christians are clearly here to preach and coerce. They find some tenuous link in the bible to the current panic - be it Elenin or whatever, and then we get "your fears are my fears - God will save you, invite JESUS into your life".

Maybe there's a huge conspiracy right under our nose!
Well I for one am sick of it!

I too am tired of the endless Bible quotes, and how the Christians haunt the UFO/ET/Alien threads with their biblical viewpoints, and the usual "all aliens are demons," which is really getting to be a bore. You simply cannot educate a Christian, you see, they have these "beliefs." These are basically set in stone, and cannot change, no matter what. I sometimes wish ATS was a secular board, no religious viewpoints allowed. And we who post in, and create threads in the UFO/Aliens section should be free of religious views on the subjects we are trying to intelligently discuss with each other.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope

I did not mean to imply any hatred came from you directly. I don't see that in your threads post. But I have seen it frequently, and it appears in the religious threads as well.
Actually I understand your frustration more than you suppose. . I have never posted anything like your going to hell etc. I never push what I believe on anyone. We're all big folks here and we can make our own decisions.
I personally believe that if you tell someone "you're going to hell" it is a judgment which no Christian has the authority to do in the first place.
I have never seen anyone use that comment, however I am sure it has surfaced. Just like that Church in Kansas that spreads it lies and hate worldwide with pickets etc. There are many Christians who do not understand their own faith. What they are supposed to do and how to act. Unfortunately the many are judged by the actions of the few.
DH

I must admit I was expecting a few "Burn in hells" for starting the thread!
But no, the responses from the Christians have been on topic, relevent and interesting. If ALL Christians on ATS were like you and the others on this thread, I wouldn't have had a thread to start in the first place.

It is curious though, how you and the other Christians rarely or never see the type of post that I refer to, whereas the other respondents feel similar to me. Maybe it's down to sensitivity. Obviously you'd pick up on the threatening posts, but not perhaps the ones that steer a thread towards Christianity as much as an agnostic or athiest.
edit on 2/10/11 by Insomniac because: formatting

edit on 2/10/11 by Insomniac because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
if your sick of being preached at then stop clicking threads having to do with God.

if your are sick of responses that dont match your opinion, find another site.
edit on 2-10-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: they/your*

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
if your sick of being preached at then stop clicking threads having to do with God.

if your are sick of responses that dont match your opinion, find another site.
edit on 2-10-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: they/your*

The whole point of the thread (which you obviously haven't read) is that ATS is not a site for preaching it's a CONSPIRACY site... Or are you just trolling???

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

I guess I just don't see it the way you do. I haven't noticed an uptick in "You're going to Hell" posts at all.

And anyone who says that, especially in a mean-spirited way, are the ones not following Christ in the way He expected us. Christ spent all of his time among the unwashed masses; the whores, the thieves, the lepers, and tax collectors and never once have I read about Him threatening anybody. His message was one of love for all mankind and He just didn't roll like that.

He wasn't very fond of the ruling religious elite though.

You should get to know Him. To quote from Ferris Beuller, "He's a righteous dude."

I refer you to my post 3 above this!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

ats is a site where opinions are welcomed.

you seem to want the userbase to refrain from exerting a particular opinion that you do not subscribe to. this website doesnt cater to one particular view.

no i am not trolling.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

I too am tired of the endless Bible quotes, and how the Christians haunt the UFO/ET/Alien threads with their biblical viewpoints, and the usual "all aliens are demons," which is really getting to be a bore. You simply cannot educate a Christian, you see, they have these "beliefs." These are basically set in stone, and cannot change, no matter what. I sometimes wish ATS was a secular board, no religious viewpoints allowed. And we who post in, and create threads in the UFO/Aliens section should be free of religious views on the subjects we are trying to intelligently discuss with each other.

Well, one thing I've learned tonight is that there are different types of Christians on ATS. The one's on this thread disapprove of what's riling us too. I think perhaps that we're the victims of a very vocal minority! I just wish they'd be far less vocal!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

So, you don't want to hear about "our" belief conflicting with "your" belief, even if those two belief have interesting correlations, like this one:

I think you need to stop and realize something. Your belief in UFOs is just that, a belief. Unless you have some information you haven't shared:

You have never touched a UFO.
You have never shaken hands with an alien.
You have never taken a pic or vid of a UFO that can prove an ET origin.
You have precious little evidence that can be scientifically verified in a laboratory, and even that is open to interpretation.

So what makes your belief any more valid than mine, or others, who think that UFOs could have an other-than-ET explanation?

ETA: If those of you who don't believe in God would search, and watch, Chuck Missler's videos on Youtube, I think you will find what he has to say very enlightening. Missler is an extremely intelligent and successful scientist and business owner, who uses science to add credence to Biblical prophecies; he also explains, in scientific terms, exactly how things like UFOs can be explained in accordance with both science AND scripture.

His videos are really fascinating and it would be well worth your time to check them out. And I promise, there is VERY LITTLE preaching, and not a "You're going to Hell" to be heard anywhere.
edit on 10/3/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

you seem to want the userbase to refrain from exerting a particular opinion that you do not subscribe to. this website doesnt cater to one particular view.

no i am not trolling.

Please accept my apologies for accusing you of trolling.

Anyway,

Where have I said I want anybody to refrain from anything except threats?

The whole point of the thread is appropriateness. Do you really think that it's acceptable for threads to be derailed, for ATSers to be threatened with burning in hell, and to be preached at in threads that are on a completely different topic?

All this has been covered in the thread. Please read it.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

You must admit though, that with no new evidence on either side it is often a circular and repetitive argument.

I will though, give Chuck Missler a listen.
edit on 3/10/11 by Insomniac because: addition

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
There does seem to be a whole lot of hardcore christians on here... I know something like a third of the world are christian, but didn't think so many would be preaching on here constantly.

I should probably just avoid the religious threads but I always seem to be drawn in and baffled at the nonsense they post. It is often rather entertaining though.
edit on 2-10-2011 by homeslice because: spelling

Same here although I do like to drop in a comment now and then, if nothing else just to get my avatar in there.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

no i am not trolling.

Anyway,

The whole point of the thread is appropriateness. Do you really think that it's acceptable for threads to be derailed, for ATSers to be threatened with burning in hell, and to be preached at in threads that are on a completely different topic?

how can a user threaten to put you in hell?

i dont like hearing about reptilians or elenin, but im not going to expect others on the site to stop discussing them just because i feel they dont exist and arent worth discussing. nobody is forcing you to read the posts robot chicken style

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Hey, God made man in his own image, right? Given that, who the hell cares how someone finds their understanding of God. I know I dont. I was raised Catholic and I dont see any other way to try to answer my own questions than to understand what Jesus in His time wouldve done. Given that, I dont have a problem with anyone who choses their own faith to better understand anything. Its the people that take their beliefs so seriously that they literally lie, cheat, steal and kill in an attempt to force people to see what they see. Every human being is different and has, I believe, a good idea of right and wrong. The only difference is what people choose to feel and reject. Ive tried typing this once already and the whole thing erased the sec. I started writing this part... I do feel like there is a conspiracy going on, a conspiracy as in something behind the curtains that no one knows about. My point is that I believe in God because I dont have it in me not to. Because of this faith, I believe in myself. I agree it should be everyones CHOICE to take the blue or red pill. Is ignorance bliss or are you the one? I ask my self this question everyday... My only answer for now is that for me, as an individual, Id rather let God and anyone else who can handle the truth handle it. I like asking questions and I always will. I enjoy all the different topics on this website and I was pretty pissed off yesterday when the whole left column was ATS will crash and ATS shutting down for topics. When clicked on they were clearly erased by someone and Im curious to know why... Censorship isnt always wrong and I dont know what was being censored so Im not going to worry about it, and thats a perfect example of a conspiracy. Sorry for the long reply so Ill just end it with how I feel- People this day and age should be careful what they watch and listen to. In a century where electronics are everywhere it wont be long befor catching a cold will be like catching a computer virus and our only cure will be holding on to what makes us human... Forget what you cant change, be happy and ready to fight, if pushed, for what you believe in.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

no i am not trolling.

Anyway,

how can a user threaten to put you in hell?

i dont like hearing about reptilians or elenin, but im not going to expect others on the site to stop discussing them just because i feel they dont exist and arent worth discussing. nobody is forcing you to read the posts robot chicken style

A user can't put you in hell nobody said that- once again, PLEASE READ THE THREAD!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Chuck Missler is worth a watch.
He's a highly intelligent man who makes cogent arguments for the things that he believes in.

It's funny you mention that Christians don't notice the "you're going to hell" posts, because when you mentioned it in the OP, I thought "that's odd, I don't think I've EVER seen that on here"... but I'll tell you why I think that is...

when Christians go on their tangential rants on here, I tend to zone out.
...and as a Christian, that's something I wish I didn't have to say, but it's the truth.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

You must be hanging around the religious forum.
I get such a kick out of people complaining about this and that on ATS and yet...here they are.
It is not as if you are forced to be a member. The word member indicates a club with rules. It is all very up front. Those people with religious views I think primarily signed up not to proselytize to you but to speak among themselves. Religion itself might be the biggest conspiracy there is. Notice I did not say GOD. Of course there are exceptions and some hope to save your mortal soul. Just don't let them.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
I realize that every now and then you will see a comment referencing God in other threads as well, and as long as they are on topic you are going to have to accept the fact that they will appear. You aren't suggesting that Christians have their basic human right to voice their opinion revoked are you?

I think what people are trying to say is that religion is a personal thing and should be kept as such outside of the religious forum. People do not want to be preached to. If we wanted to, we'd go to church. This ain't church! It's not that people don't wish you to have your freedom of religion. That's a straw man. They simply don't want it rammed down their throats. You should respect that! The concept is simple enough.

IRM

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I think what people are trying to say is that religion is a personal thing and should be kept as such outside of the religious forum.

I've heard people say something similar about homosexuality. "We don't care if you're gay, just keep it to yourself"! ... I'm not too thrilled about telling people to keep who they are to themselves, whether it be their sexuality or their religion. ALL OF US have the right to expression and if Christians want to talk about their religion in respect to the thread, then it's their right.

I am not gay and I'm an atheist, but I strongly believe in freedom of expression. There's no logical reason that religion should be a taboo subject any more than any other subject. And if someone wants to spread their religious thoughts in every thread (as long as they obey T&C) I don't see the problem.

Sometimes we see or hear things we don't want to see or hear. That doesn't mean we have the right to shut them up. There is no right NOT to be offended. If you don't like what you're reading, STOP reading it.
Go on the the next post.

People do not want to be preached to. If we wanted to, we'd go to church. This ain't church! It's not that people don't wish you to have your freedom of religion. That's a straw man. They simply don't want it rammed down their throats. You should respect that! The concept is simple enough.

I agree with you in that: I don't want to be preached to. I believe in freedom of religion but I don't want it rammed down my throat. And I would LOVE it if people respected that, but some don't. That's the simple fact. But we all have rights and if I don't want to hear or see something, then I move along. I don't have to listen or read. If people want to spew religious rhetoric in threads, that's their choice and I don't have to read it.

If someone takes a thread off topic, report it.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Well it's not solely a problem on ATS is it.
How many times do you click on a youtube video completely unrelated to anything to do with religion and you find people tearing their hair out about God in the comments section too.
I can understand it to a certain degree. People genuinely believe we are in the end times even if they don't have a faith. The only difference to any other doomer is that they have a jolly nice heavy book to back it all up with.
They want to save you. Fair play in my opinion, but if you don't feel like being saved you'll just have to avoid them as best you can, hard though that may be at times.
edit on 3-10-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I've not encountered such religious preachings myself, so maybe the threads I've been on just don't have those sorts of people on them. I don't have a problem with people's personal beliefs as long as they are not condemning or thrusting their beliefs on people...common sense really.
Isn't it interesting that religion and politics always courts controversy and causes people to get so 'snippy'

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join