It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Else Sick of Being Preached at on ATS? A Conspiracy Perhaps?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
reply to post by OldCorp

i have a better idea how about christians hold their tongue about their religious beliefs unless it is a religious thread...

How about, NO.

You don't have the right to even suggest such a thing, unless you don't mind being rightfully compared to a Nazi.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'm the kind of person who likes people to be real. If they are racist, they shouldn't hide behind political correctness in their speech, though their actions should remain within the law. I want to know who doesn't like me because of the color of my skin. Not to judge them, just to see them being real.
One who calls himself Christian should then, follow the teachings of Christ, which was primarily to spread the news of the coming of the Kingdom of God. One who does not do this by definition, is not Christian. He simply has a belief in the teachings, and does not act upon them.
Christians who preach are just being real my friend...
edit on 10/2/2011 by visualmiscreant because: spelling

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
reply to post by OldCorp

We know they have the right to express their opinions but when it's over 100 separate people talking about the exact same theories and facts, It does get old, at least bring a different opinion to the table and not the exact same topic.

I see this no more threatening or annoying than someone who pops up in every other thread blaming Elenin, or Nibiru for everything. It's just the same; people need to constantly reinforce their believes.
They have the right to speak up their mind, and then being respectfully "redirected" to the right thread.
I usually just skip posts like these. No big deal. No need to hate them. No conspiracy here.
Or if it is, it's about 2,000 years old, so not much to do about it.

edit on 2-10-2011 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

reply to post by OldCorp

i have a better idea how about christians hold their tongue about their religious beliefs unless it is a religious thread...

How about, NO.

You don't have the right to even suggest such a thing, unless you don't mind being rightfully compared to a Nazi.

derailing a thread by any means including using religion is troll behavior. unless it is a thread specifically discussing said beliefs it has no place in a discussion thread. how does proper discussions in proper forums in any way equate me to hitler.

it would be more appropriate to state that zealots demanding that people listen to their god and follow their beliefs or they are going to be tortured forever is quite a bit more similar to hitler than anything i have said.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
christians constantly complain about persecution and being put down when in fact most of the time the baiting and derision is spread by those same people following a god of supposed love. judge not lest ye be judged means you can never ever say...you are going to burn in hell, and still call yourself a christian/

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

This is true in today's world. There are many young Christians (not age-wise), who have not matured in their understanding of it's teachings. There are so many denominations with diverse teachings, until it is a mess to sift through it. This is why it is so important for these young Christians to spend more time not only in the study of their teachings, but also in acts of humility such as charity work and nursing home visitation, etc. Christianity is not something that can be lived only on Sunday morning.
These young Christians will only mature at a rate relevant to the time they put in it, and for the moment, are only trying to express their new-found faith.
I do realize how frustrating this is to others, but this world keeps most of them too busy to grow quickly. That's the conspiracy...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Well, a few assumptions in there...

I would suggest that if you don't want to hear those opinions, that you steer clear of threads with a Christian theme.

It's not threads with Christian themes that bother me. In my opinion that is the place for religious themes.

I realize that every now and then you will see a comment referencing God in other threads as well, and as long as they are on topic you are going to have to accept the fact that they will appear. You aren't suggesting that Christians have their basic human right to voice their opinion revoked are you?

If only it was every now and then! When in a Science thread a Christian pops up and says 'you're all wrong' that is hardly being "on topic"! Human rights doesn't come into it.

On another, final note, not all Christians do what you are claiming; threatening non-believers with hellfire and the like. Many of us (myself included) go by the adages "Judge not lest ye be judged," "Love thy enemy as thyself," and more secularly, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

I know not all Christians do. Your type of Christian wins the respect of others whether Athiest or otherwise, the other type puts peoples backs up!

I'll never understand why, when it comes to Christianity, people get their panties in a twist simply because they hear or see it mentioned. Further, it seems that Atheists go out of their way to insult Christians - as opposed to followers of Buddhism, Hinduism, Wicca, and even Islam - calling Christ a "Magical Jewish Zombie" and a plethora of other cutsie little blasphemies, seemingly taking delight in insulting the faith of people who have done nothing to them whatsoever.

I can't comment on Islam not being a Muslem, but certainly among Athiests the whole preaching thing is a bit of a wind up. The other religions you mentioned don't do that.

The Catholics say that when a demon hears the name of Jesus Christ, it literally causes them physical discomfort. Does hearing or seeing the name of Christ on an Internet board cause you any discomfort? No? Then chances are you aren't a demon; just thin-skinned and intolerant.

Ha ha, no I'm not a demon, otherwise typing the name Jesus would cause me discomfort! It's just the preaching in inappropriate places that bugs me!
edit on 2/10/11 by Insomniac because: typo

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

exactly what i was saying to everything there is a season...and a time and place. if the subject matter directly relates to religion or religious beliefs, i agree christians have at it, it is appropriate and expected.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

And if you wasn't underage I'd plant one right on your cheek too.

Only got as far as your first post on this thread and agree 100%. No better way to say it, you're a real smart kid, you'll go far in life.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
I see threads ranting from time to time about Christians going on about being saved, etc. I honestly never see these threads. You guys must be hanging out in different forums than I am. Or, perhaps, you're just too sensitive to it? I don't know...

Why do you have to let anyone else's beliefs bother you that much?

Do you never come to ATS then?

Pretty much every thread I've gone on in the past few months especially has had at least one Jesus freak pushing their religion onto others.

Now I'm not insulting ALL Christians there because I'm open minded and am dating a Catholic but there's a lot of it going on, you just have to WAKE UP!!!!! (as the people who believe in silly theories will often scream at people who won't buy their brand of crazy)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

reply to post by OldCorp

How about, NO.

derailing a thread by any means including using religion is troll behavior. unless it is a thread specifically discussing said beliefs it has no place in a discussion thread. how does proper discussions in proper forums in any way equate me to hitler.

it would be more appropriate to state that zealots demanding that people listen to their god and follow their beliefs or they are going to be tortured forever is quite a bit more similar to hitler than anything i have said.

How about you give an example. I'll start.

Example: The thread is about rising tensions in the Middle East, and a poster just happens to notice that the countries that are forming alliances against Israel are exactly the same as the countries prophesied to attack Israel in the War of Gog and Magog, which was spoken of in great detail in the book of Ezekiel. According to you, that would be a thread derailment. Others on the other hand would see it as correlating current events with Bible prophecy; yet you would take away their right to mention it just because you don't want to hear about anything Bible related.

Closed-minded much?

Your turn.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Actually no, mentioning that WOULDN'T be what he/she was talking about.

It's when a member comes into a discussion to tell people to believe in God or Jesus and preaching the Christian stuff when there's no need for it that's the problem.

Pointing out Bible prophecy in that way would be welcomed for further discussion.

Now can I ask that you please not post anything that isn't your usual intelligent self because I'd hate to lose respect for you over this if you put more slightly ignorant to the purpose of the thread posts again. Pretty please?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Agreed absolutely! That would add an interesting dimension to the discussion, it certainly couldn't be confused with preaching.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

adding relevant information that is also in the bible is not even close to what i am talking about. using the bible as a text to show a correlation to possible future outcomes in the manner you used as an example is appropriate. it doesn't bring religion into the thread. it would be on topic albeit just barely, since the topic in your example is rising unrest in the middle east, no biblical prophesies.

when it becomes a hammer with which to beat your opponents in a debate, then it is not appropriate. when it becomes a proselytizing event and not something directly related to the topic being discussed then it is not appropriate.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
reply to post by OldCorp

Actually no, mentioning that WOULDN'T be what he/she was talking about.

It's when a member comes into a discussion to tell people to believe in God or Jesus and preaching the Christian stuff when there's no need for it that's the problem.

Pointing out Bible prophecy in that way would be welcomed for further discussion.

Now can I ask that you please not post anything that isn't your usual intelligent self because I'd hate to lose respect for you over this if you put more slightly ignorant to the purpose of the thread posts again. Pretty please?

Obviously I don't know the contents of every post the OP has seen that got his panties in such a twist that he felt he had to make a thread about it; but I've been on ATS long enough to know that the mods are pretty good at their jobs and if a post is off topic it disappears pretty quickly. I've also been here long enough to know that the type of posts he's talking about are not that common anyway.

As for your last statement, I'm terribly sorry if I've disappointed you. I promise to do my best to only post opinions in the future that you agree with.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Obviously I don't know the contents of every post the OP has seen that got his panties in such a twist that he felt he had to make a thread about it; but I've been on ATS long enough to know that the mods are pretty good at their jobs and if a post is off topic it disappears pretty quickly. I've also been here long enough to know that the type of posts he's talking about are not that common anyway.

My panties don't get in a twist easily!
In fact this is my first rant on any thread.

I've been around quite a while too (see left) and the type of post I refer to is becoming more and more frequent. When it was rare it didn't bother me, but it really has become an intrusion. I ought to visit the forums you go on.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
The unsaved seek Christ the same way a robber seeks after the police. They avoid him as much as they can so that they can do whatever they want unhindered. If you don't like a post or thread don't click or read it. I would say that I probably avoid 98% of the threads on ats, because they are all crying about elenin, nwo, UFOs, or how the bible is full of lies... I'm not complaining though, it's to be expected from this bastion of atheist/secular humanist

Very Well Said: If I am reading a thread and find multiple personal attacks on someones faith I go elsewhere. No one is twisting arms forcing a belief. Many atheists are on ATS as well. In fact seems even on the religious threads they seem to appear. If someone chooses not to believe that is their right, along with the consequences. I do not suffer the consequences of my behavior because of someone elses actions; only my own.
. I am only responsible for me. Where does all this hatred come from?
"So I simply agree. If you don't like a post or thread don't click or read it"

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope

I am only responsible for me. Where does all this hatred come from?

No hatred here. As mentioned previously in the thread, it's frustration at having threads derailed, of being preached at in non religious threads and seeing ATSers being told that they are going to burn in hell. All this in my opinion is unreasonable behaviour on a conspiracy website unless absolutely relevent to the thread. Threats are unacceptable in any thread.
edit on 2/10/11 by Insomniac because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac

Originally posted by DavidsHope

I am only responsible for me. Where does all this hatred come from?

No hatred here. As mentioned previously in the thread, it's frustration at having threads derailed, of being preached at in non religious threads and seeing ATSers being told that they are going to burn in hell. All this in my opinion is unreasonable behaviour on a conspiracy website unless absolutely relevent to the thread. Threats are unacceptable in any thread.
edit on 2/10/11 by Insomniac because: (no reason given)

I did not mean to imply any hatred came from you directly. I don't see that in your threads post. But I have seen it frequently, and it appears in the religious threads as well.
Actually I understand your frustration more than you suppose. . I have never posted anything like your going to hell etc. I never push what I believe on anyone. We're all big folks here and we can make our own decisions.
I personally believe that if you tell someone "you're going to hell" it is a judgment which no Christian has the authority to do in the first place.
I have never seen anyone use that comment, however I am sure it has surfaced. Just like that Church in Kansas that spreads it lies and hate worldwide with pickets etc. There are many Christians who do not understand their own faith. What they are supposed to do and how to act. Unfortunately the many are judged by the actions of the few.
DH

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac

My panties don't get in a twist easily!
In fact this is my first rant on any thread.

I've been around quite a while too (see left) and the type of post I refer to is becoming more and more frequent. When it was rare it didn't bother me, but it really has become an intrusion. I ought to visit the forums you go on.

I guess I just don't see it the way you do. I haven't noticed an uptick in "You're going to Hell" posts at all.

And anyone who says that, especially in a mean-spirited way, are the ones not following Christ in the way He expected us. Christ spent all of his time among the unwashed masses; the whores, the thieves, the lepers, and tax collectors and never once have I read about Him threatening anybody. His message was one of love for all mankind and He just didn't roll like that.

He wasn't very fond of the ruling religious elite though.

You should get to know Him. To quote from Ferris Beuller, "He's a righteous dude."

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join