It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Marines carry in their BOB bags

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by BobAthome

The DD214 is the military discharge form.
edit on 29-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

k thnks,,

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

A "Buzz Saw" is a term for a signaling tool. In the Military we use chem lights(glow sticks) tied to a cord or string and swing them in a circle aboveour heads to signal aircraft.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

You can get a similar effect by swinging a leather belt around and in the old times the aborigines here in Australia would use a bull-roarer. This was a piece of twine ( they obviously used natural fibre to make theirs!) about 1 metre long tied to a flat piece of wood about 30-40cm long, they make quite an amazing sound. Just don't try using one inside ( I can remember seeing a young boy destroy a light fitting doing this once haha!)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by DaddyBare

dont forget us guys,, DD214????,, what tell hell is that?

I realize the answer has already been given above, but if a person seriously does not know what a DD214 is, then that actually tells us a lot about that person right away. It would be good information to know.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teebs
Doesn't BOB stand for 'bug out bag'? If so, isn't it a bit redundant to say "BOB bags"?

That's like when people say they're going to the "ATM machine."

So, you're going to the Automated Teller Machine machine?

I apologize for the off-topic post, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Or people that say PIN number. Damn them all to hell.

Thanks OP for the post.

Oh and first post here so hi all.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My survival bag contains nothing! In fact, I don't even have a survival bag! I guess I just live dangerously. I do have some duct tape. I can't be without duct tape. If I had to recommend anything to be included in a survival bag, duct tape would be at the top of my list!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
evidently, heavy military rucksacks have been around a long time.

Roman soldiers had to march at an ordinary pace of 20 Roman miles in 5 summer hours and at a fast military pace of 24 Roman miles in 5 summer hours carrying a 70 pound backpack.

ancienthistory.about.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by Skewed

Naw...
when you get to be an old salt like me we don't need to see a DD214...
we just ask...What was your MOS... then we ask were you were stationed... from those answers we got a pretty good idea of your training and skills... things you don't find on the DD214...
Navy didn't have MOS. That is Marines and Army. Unless they started using them after my EAOS.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Do you suggest that ex-military carry their DD214?

Depending on the situation, I could see where I may not want to have any evidence at all regarding my military service, but on the other hand I could see myself raising my hand to volunteer for something if need be.
In the Navy we learned to Never Again Volunteer Yourself

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

No the Navy does not use MOS, but I was not going argue semantics, I knew what he was talking about.

They taught me to never again volunteer yourself, but sometimes I do not learn very well. If SHTF, I would certainly volunteer if I could be of help. My oath did not expire when my enlistment did.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Given the current government, I definitely would not volunteer for anything to help them.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Can anybody recommend a link to purchase these items for the average bear cub ?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I disagree man.

Although, that is why I will be the one making the decision. If I do not agree then I will not participate.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Always good to see what the Pro's do.

I am moving to a new place this coming week, so in my recent packing of items I have been able to re-familiarize myself with my BOB items. I actually learned a lesson while going through my items. What did I learn? I have allot of $h!t! Not that I would take it all, but with so much stuff I really need to sit down and inventory the BOB items vs the excess items.

Great thread as always Daddybare!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

Unless someone has done any backpacking, I do not think they realize how heavy even 40 pounds can get after a 15 mile hike, it is different from walking around on campus with a load of books on your back. That weight over time starts to drag you down, especially if you are low on water or food and getting physically drained. Once a bag starts getting heavy, you become willing to start parting with things.

edit on 29-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
In a SHTF scenario, flares are probably the last thing you'd want to use. You don't want to draw a large crowd to your location. So, imo, flares are sort of unnecessary if you're creating a SHTF BOB.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

your right, most people nowadays just arent built right for it without alot of work. When I was in the Corps we used to carry anywhere between 40-70lbs in our packs depending on the mission, plus we had body armor, weapons, ammo, and all that good stuff. those who have trained like i have know what a B&$#H it is to hump a pack around after 20-25miles, probably less for civilians. The weight of your gear is always an important factor in what you pack. If it is a SHTF situation less weight is more than likely better to enable you to move faster and less impeded.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by A por uvas

Thanks for the great info DB,
A slick reminder that you dont need a duffle bag of gear to make it in the wild, Grab and go, be fast, survive.

Any hikers store should have most of these items,
In Canada theres a great place where I buy all my

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I purchase most things on Amazon.com & don't pay shipping (Prime member. ) They have a good variety. I live in the boonies so buying quality items locally isn't practical.

Originally posted by NotThat

Don't forget some kind of ID.

Good point.

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
My suggestion for snares is carry an old pack of electric guitar strings.

I love that. Have a bunch laying around.. Good use of on-hand items

Originally posted by usmc0311
Also as most Marines like me know, panty hose can come in real handy, exspecially in the cold.

Great suggestion..

A "Buzz Saw" is a term for a signaling tool. In the Military we use chem lights(glow sticks) tied to a cord or string and swing them in a circle aboveour heads to signal aircraft.

OK, thanks for the clarification there. That truly confused me, carrying around a buzz saw.

edit on 30-9-2011 by tabularasa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Good information DB.

Did I miss seeing a toothbrush?
My suggestion for snares is carry an old pack of electric guitar strings.
Mousetraps are a necessity anywhere you go IMO.

My minimal version of a B.O.B. would have:
Rain poncho/shelter half
Wool blanket made in to poncho
200ft. 550 paracord
Water filter - PUR hiker
Canteen/ Stainless steel canteen cup
Knife- Kbar or Mora
Small LED flashlight
Magnesium firestarter
Matches
Space blanket
Camo headnet - for camouflage and keeping bugs out of your eyes
Boonie hat
Bandana
Petersons Field guide to Wild Edible Plants
Spare pair of socks
Compass
Toothbrush
WW1 Army surplus gas mask bag to carry it in.

edit on 29-9-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

You are wasting time and space by bringing a toothbrush. Useless.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join