It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Survival kit

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cdesigns

Might I suggest, before you go overboard and start spending money unnecessarily pick up the book "When all Hell Breaks Loose" - by Cody Lundin.

He gives excellent advice on how to do more with less. Which from what I have seen so far you are struggling with a little bit.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Skewed

Transport?

He's got his briefcase...can't you see it in the pics?

Best BOB in the biz...as long as you're dressed to the nines...

I think that's a portable solar panel, not a briefcase.

Although a briefcase could cool, ever see "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas? "85 cents for a can of soda!"

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by cdesigns

Might I suggest, before you go overboard and start spending money unnecessarily pick up the book "When all Hell Breaks Loose" - by Cody Lundin.

He gives excellent advice on how to do more with less. Which from what I have seen so far you are struggling with a little bit.

Thats the guy from Dual Survivor right? Id love to check out his book... He may be a barefoot hippie, but he sure knows alot about survival and nature...

Ive seen his house as well, and wow it is amazing... built right into the hill

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Yes, that would be him.

His house is impressive. Coming from a construction background I can appreciate how he incorporated his environment into the engineering. Such as, correct north/south orientation for the sun, ventilation to catch the wind and keep the air flowing through the house among a few other things. Pretty impressive.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Whateva....nice but amatuer.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lesson learned.

This is actually one of the better lists I have seen. Not that he doesn't have gaps, but there's some good stuff here I don't have. But it's hardly amateur to publish this. If some geek traced my IP number he'd trace to a city 50 miles away from me in the midst of a population of several million. It's an unfounded fear. Unloess he posts his real name and address on here, he has nothing to fear from becoming a target.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Guys you have to remenber something, survival kits are different for every situation, I have experienced weeks without power and water on my home when we got hit by an huracane, but we where prepare for that. I experienced how people change on situations like this, some people help you and others don't, I had my gas stolen from my generator at night, it had a full tank and in the middle of the night the generator stopped and when I went outisde to check a car took off, they stole my gas from the generator and this was just only 2 weeks after the huricane but the area didn't had power yet. My neightboors closed the street and only allowed people who lived there to pass. All this was in FL 2 weeks after an hurricane, the local stores had NOTHING to offer and people were stealing left and right.

I have 50 gallons of treated water in my garage, I recycle the water weekly with a electric pump but I also have a manual pump and I'm still researching how to mantain the water potable for longer periods of time, if I have to hit the road I have some portable filters and information on how to clean lake or river water etc. I still need to learn more about it thought, hopefully I never have to leave my home but you never know.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Everyone is welcome to come to my house, my 9mm its ready to say hi

Originally posted by schuyler

Whateva....nice but amatuer.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lesson learned.

This is actually one of the better lists I have seen. Not that he doesn't have gaps, but there's some good stuff here I don't have. But it's hardly amateur to publish this. If some geek traced my IP number he'd trace to a city 50 miles away from me in the midst of a population of several million. It's an unfounded fear. Unloess he posts his real name and address on here, he has nothing to fear from becoming a target.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by cdesigns
Guys you have to remenber something, survival kits are different for every situation, I have experienced weeks without power and water on my home when we got hit by an huracane, but we where prepare for that. I experienced how people change on situations like this, some people help you and others don't, I had my gas stolen from my generator at night, it had a full tank and in the middle of the night the generator stopped and when I went outisde to check a car took off, they stole my gas from the generator and this was just only 2 weeks after the huricane but the area didn't had power yet. My neightboors closed the street and only allowed people who lived there to pass. All this was in FL 2 weeks after an hurricane, the local stores had NOTHING to offer and people were stealing left and right.

I have 50 gallons of treated water in my garage, I recycle the water weekly with a electric pump but I also have a manual pump and I'm still researching how to mantain the water potable for longer periods of time, if I have to hit the road I have some portable filters and information on how to clean lake or river water etc. I still need to learn more about it thought, hopefully I never have to leave my home but you never know.

I can assure you, no one means to berate what you are doing. At least you are doing something which is more than what others are doing. You posted this looking for input and you are getting it, from different perspectives. It seems like you have the situation handled for storms, but there are several other disasters that could just as easily become reality.

From my interpretation of the route you are taking is by no means wrong, but I think you are leaving out some very tried and true basics to survival. I think if you read the book I mentioned above as well as others, you will be able to cover the basics that can be applied to just about any situation.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think that the new rule should be that anytime you post about you B.O.B. or survival gear, you give a brief description about what threats you think you are preparing for. I don't mean to direct negativity towards the OP, but it seems that everyone has a different concept of what STHF means, and to be honest it is a lot of different things in different places. The supplies you have on hand will be influenced by whatever you think might happen someday. The OP seems too have overkill in some areas and be lacking in others. Defense seems pretty good for some scenarios, maybe impractical for others. If I were going to have 2 pistols as my only firearms, they would be the same caliber for the sake of redundancy in the event of failure of one gun, so that i could use ALL the remaining ammo in the other gun. I personally wouldn't exhaust my resources on ammo for firearms that I don't own. I was gonna say thats quite a few flashlights, but honestly, I probably have more than that. I have mine spread out all over my home and vehicles so I'm never too far from one. All but one of them takes either "AA" or "D" batteries. The solar panel thing just looks expensive and fragile. Maybe its not? Communications seems really strong, though, the cell phones may not work after some disasters. That wrench and hammer look like toys, get full size ones if you're gonna deal with the extra weight in the first place. Knives seem adequate - I treat my knives like my flashlights, distributed in appropriate locations. First aid is kind of weak, but not too bad. You should include some rehydration salts(think pedialyte powder form) and something like Imodium - diarrhea and its dehydrating affects can kill you. The whole reason I was even motivated to comment on this thread though, is: what are you planning on eating and drinking? If you're planning on needing all that other stuff, food and clean water aren't going to be as easy to find as they were before whatever event occured. I am by no means stockpiling bulk quantities of food commodities, but i keep some dry granola bars and instant oatmeal packs in my bag. I don't really LOVE oatmeal that much, but if I'm starving, I would happily eat it and variations in temperature have little to no effect on it. Water is heavy, so I only carry a few bottles along with a water filter and a vial of bleach. I can drink them until I find a water source, then refill them. The filter is no bigger and weighs less than 2 additional bottles would, can purify hundreds of more bottles and I promise, costs less than the OP's solar panel. I think the OP has a great start with a lot of secondary gear, but definitely needs to cover some of the more basic needs of survival. Also, I really like the photos along with the list. I really eases the ability to evaluate your gear seeing it all together like that.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
A great way to determine what you really need in a survival situation be it at home or in the woods is to do an actual simulation of it. At home make a list of everything you think you possibly could need for 3 days, buy it, then switch off all the power and water. Eat only what you have cached and use only the supplies you placed on your list. For the field, same scenario. Camp out in the woods or if that's not possible your backyard same rules applied.

I bet you'll quickly see where you've left critical items off your list..

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwing48

Or packed stuff you do not need and just adding weight.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead

reply to post by Skewed

Transport?

He's got his briefcase...can't you see it in the pics?

Best BOB in the biz...as long as you're dressed to the nines...

I think that's a portable solar panel, not a briefcase.

Although a briefcase could cool, ever see "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas? "85 cents for a can of soda!"

Now a portable solar panel..that sounds really cool..No bug out bag for me..But i did stock up on a whole lot of canned food and cereals as well...I also have a lot of water..My gun is a 20 gauge and its a bit large for a bug out bag..LOL

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwing48
A great way to determine what you really need in a survival situation be it at home or in the woods is to do an actual simulation of it. At home make a list of everything you think you possibly could need for 3 days, buy it, then switch off all the power and water. Eat only what you have cached and use only the supplies you placed on your list. For the field, same scenario. Camp out in the woods or if that's not possible your backyard same rules applied.

I bet you'll quickly see where you've left critical items off your list..

That is the most reasonable statement Ive heard. Lets see if in the woods your going to need some way for starting a fire..Maybe a flint? Warm or cool garments to cover or sleep on. Something to keep the bugs off..LOL..Dont want to get sick from the bugs..A way to filter water so you don't have to carry so much and so if you do carry it when you run out you'll have some water..Some kind of light for night time..Like a oil lantern or you can just use the fire.. But if your in hiding no fire,of course no light..LOL..A change of cloths and oh oh oh!!!! if you decide to bring toilet paper with you what are you going to do if you run out??Hmmmmm...Well better figure out which plants or poison and which or not to take the place of toilet paper..Your not gonna want a rash that's for sure...A nice tote bag to carry all this stuff,a nice sharp knife or 2.. Maybe some rope to help make a shelter with sticks..I cant think of anything else.Can you

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
If you have women in your group, do not forget their feminine needs as well.

Tampons have several uses besides the intended use, in the military I used them to shine my boots.
In the event a member of your party is shot or finds them self with a pretty good puncture wound, a tampon works well. Just insert the tampon into the wound to stop the bleeding.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
If you have women in your group, do not forget their feminine needs as well.

Tampons have several uses besides the intended use, in the military I used them to shine my boots.
In the event a member of your party is shot or finds them self with a pretty good puncture wound, a tampon works well. Just insert the tampon into the wound to stop the bleeding.

OOPs!! Figures im a woman and what do i do..i forgot the personal stuff..LOL..Good idea..they stay clean as well.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Good point! You'll also realize there are a few things that you can do without and lighten your load.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Thanks eeks! I appreciate the kind words.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
22lr lightweight rifle and a 22lr hand gun both with clips, (interchangable and you can carry lots more rounds) i'm not going to get into a gun battle with a M-16 or SKS, besides every tom, dick, and harry 1/2 mile around you will know someone is out there and they will come looking for you. and if they get too close, stay calm, make a visual "holy cross" target starting from the top of the head and ending down to mid chest, pump a few rounds, and run. if you spot someone and they are at 300 yards , use stealth and get the hell out, no use letting sound, and flash give your location away, let the guys with the big guns and big egos kill each other off. food...MRE's, lightweight, nutritious, no smoke or light from a cooking fire. if you HAVE to cook game, make sure you are packed up and ready to move as soon as you get done cooking. water... one lightweight bottle with plenty of filters. snares, a small crossbow, and a big survival knife (one that is big enough to cut down small branches for shelter and/or dig a trench to get out of the wind), 1 bottle of antibiotics, small bottle of bleach, fire starter stick, compass, deet bug spray.
hide, move low and slow, evade, and shut the hell up. the SAS survival manual is a must, and if weight allows, night vision monocular that uses AA batteries could aid in evasion and food.
edit on 28-9-2011 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwing48
reply to post by eeks4

Thanks eeks! I appreciate the kind words.

Thank you so much..I couldn't come up with any other user name that wasn't taken..I like it though..LOL

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
22lr lightweight rifle and a 22lr hand gun both with clips, (interchangable and you can carry lots more rounds) i'm not going to get into a gun battle with a M-16 or SKS, besides every tom, dick, and harry 1/2 mile around you will know someone is out there and they will come looking for you. and if they get too close, stay calm, make a visual "holy cross" target starting from the top of the head and ending down to mid chest, pump a few rounds, and run. if you spot someone and they are at 300 yards , use stealth and get the hell out, no use letting sound, and flash give your location away, let the guys with the big guns and big egos kill each other off. food...MRE's, lightweight, nutritious, no smoke or light from a cooking fire. if you HAVE to cook game, make sure you are packed up and ready to move as soon as you get done cooking. water... one lightweight bottle with plenty of filters. snares, a small crossbow, and a big survival knife (one that is big enough to cut down small branches for shelter and/or dig a trench to get out of the wind), 1 bottle of antibiotics, small bottle of bleach, fire starter stick, compass, deet bug spray.
hide, move low and slow, evade, and shut the hell up. the SAS survival manual is a must, and if weight allows, night vision monocular that uses AA batteries could aid in evasion and food.
edit on 28-9-2011 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

I forgot the bleach as well and the meds...thank you

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join