It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Survival kit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Here are some of the things I have gathered for my survival kit.

I will be adding more items to the list as I buy them, but to tell you the truth the first thing you should consider on buying is a GUN and AMMO. A gun can protect you and in the worse case scenario get you everything you need from other people by force SIMPLE AS THAT. But since I don't want to be that kind of person I gathered my own things.

There is a lot of survival situations that require different types of items, I will try to get everything I can for any situation.

Here is My survival kit and the uses I will give them.

PROTECTION
1) GUN / AMMO = I currently own a Taurus PT92, SCCY CPX2 9mm handguns, I plan to buy a 12ga shotgun and a .22LR Rifle for hunting my food. I still need to buy more ammo, but always buy at least 1 box of other calibers, you never know if you will end up finding a gun that's not you caliber but you have some ammo for it and then you can use it. I currently have ammo for .22LR, 380, 9mm, .40 and 12GA. 9mm and .22lr are the cheapest and most used so stock everything you can buy, I plan to buy a box of (100) 9mm every 2 weeks. You can always trade ammo for food and other things.

2) CROSS BOW = I bought a small cross bow just to have it, I paid $10 on a gun show and bought extra darts and parts for it, you can use it to protect yourself or hunt your food without making to much sound compared to a gun.

3) SLINGSHOT = Other thing I bought just to have it, shot rock with it etc. I still prefer my 9mm.

4) HANDCUFF = Always good to have to use with the bad guy.

5) KNIFES = I have several pocket knives and big knives, they can be used to prepare your food, kill your food, etc. you have the idea.

6) NIGHTVISION = I'm using a Bushnell Monocular with IR light, works very good to hunt at night or for surveillance.

7) BINOCULARS = I have 2 of them, you know what are they for, no need to explain.

COMMUNICATIONS
1) VHF/UHF/POLICE Scanner = to scan the airwaves you can find out if other people are alive and where they are listeng to police and military to find out how bad is the situation out there etc.

2) FRS/GMRS radios = 7 out 10 families in the US have one of this radios, you can use them to comunicate if the cell towers stop working, find out who is close to you, if they are targeting you, etc.

3) WALKIE TALKIE TYPE CELLPHONES = When you set this phones to "Mototalk or Directalk" they work off the network and you can have PRIVATE conversations cellphone to cellphone between your family without anyone knowing what you are saying or where you are, the channels are frequency hopping and NO ONE can scan them to hear you (only the FCC and FBI have equipment to do this). I use Motorola i355 From Nextel it holds abuse due to their military specs.

4) DUAL BAND HAM RADIO = On my case I have a UHF 400mhz-480mhz radio that I can use to comunicate with ham radio people, ebay have some good and cheap dual band VHF/UHF radios that you can buy, get repeater information in your area, some of those repeater might still be active and you can use them to comunicate with others.

5) MARINE RADIO = I have one for the just in case, if I end up going to the coast at least I have a radio to comunicate with boats to pick me up, hear them etc.

6) EMERGENCY RADIO = You got to love Radio Shack Clearance prices, I got a nice emergency radio for $5 I get TV, AM, FM, Weather frequencies on it, it has a flashlight and blinking red light, good to have always.

7) SOLAR PANEL = You need to recharge the batteries of your radios, flashlights, etc, I have a Solar Panel Briefcase modified two provide 14v @ 1amp, I use this solar panel with small electronics using a regulator or you can charge a 12v Marine Battery (wich I have with my other survival kit electronics int he garage)

8) PARACHUTE FLARE = It can be used as a signaling device or a distress signal.

LIGHTS
1) LAMP = Try to get a LED lamp that consumes very little power, I got one from Lowes that has 3 light settings and last days using the lowest setting.

2) FLASHLIGHTS = I have different types of flaslights all of them are LED from AAA, AA, C and D. I have different ones because you never know what type of battery you will find available, MAGLITE 3watt LED flaslights are the best, they are powerfull and last a lot with only (2) D Alkaline batteries.

3) CANDLES = I have bunch of small 1/2" tall , 1" round candles somewhere, good to have for lighting a small room and not waste the batteries.

4) RED FLARES = Can be used to signal someone or iluminate an area.

TOOLS
1) MULTI-SCREWDRIVER = I went to the dollar store and got one of those screwdrivers that have different bits, very lightweight and small and can be used to fix anything in the run.

2) HAMMER = I got a small hammer from a SKILL kit, good to break a glass, hammer nails, etc very small and not to heavy.

3) WRENCH = I use a small wrench that came with the SKILL kit, you never know when you need to adjust a nut or bolt to fix something, once again small and lightweight.

4) NYLON ROPE = Always good to have a small diamater 100' Nylon rope or line.

5) SUPER GLUE = It can be used to close a wound, fix things, etc.

6) GAS TORCH = Many uses, I have 2 of them, waterproof and the small one last lots of time.

MEDICAL SUPPLIES
1) Alcohol bottle, Alcohol prep pads, hand sanitizer, elastic bandage wrap, rolled gauze, gauze pads, waterproof tape, bandages, hydrogen peroxide, triple antibiotic ointment, Aleve, rubber gloves, filtered water bottle and high energy shots to keep you awake.

I have a bunch of other stuff on my garage for water treatment, and power generator, ropes, tools etc. I'm planning on buying some MRE food, power bars, slim jims, water filters, baby wipes, survival tricks and tips literature book, etc.

Here are some pictures of some of the items. Taurus PT92 handgun is been refinish that's why it looks like that with no trigger

edit on 28-9-2011 by cdesigns because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
looks like a good list of things. If i were you, i would add a primary rifle like a AR-15 or AK. What about your Food?
edit on 28-9-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Put my survival list up at this thread: here

I'm sure it isn't complete, but it is a very good start.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Looks good. Don't forget the rope chain saw and maybe an Axe.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
lookin pretty good, though you need more ammo for sure.
2nd

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Whateva....nice but amatuer.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lesson learned.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If it is a situation where you have to be on the move how are you going to transport it. I see some things there and combined with other stuff, you are going to bit heavy if you happen to have a long walk in front of you. I think you need to break your plan up into parts. And this does not include your daily needs, clothing, water, etc.

Have your evacuation bag, everything you think you would need to last a few days and able to carry it on your back.

Then after you have your bag that you can just take off with, have your bug-in kit where if the situation allows, you can stay put. I think if you are going to prepare for an emergency that we do not know what it is, you need to cover all the bases. From my experience and from what I have seen a lot of times is people only prepare half way. Not knowing the emergency makes it difficult to prepare. But, I think if you are going to prepare you will need a bug-out bag and a bug-in bag.

Personally, I have my bag that is ready to go at a moments notice that can get me by for a several days. Then I also have my supplies and gear in the event I am able to stay put, but willing to leave it behind if I need to vacate.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I was wondering if this is a portable kit or for bugging in? Seems like alot of stuff to haul around with you, plus no food, shelter material or water purification.

Still it gave me some good ideas for stuff to put in my BOB.

How expensive is the nightvision monocular? Seems like a nice tool to have.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Get more food!!! Gotta have huge tupperware containers full of it... 20lb bags of rice, peanutbutter, noodles, anything with a really long shelf life. Just look at what the date says, conservative estimates are 90 days worth of food and better to be prepared and go for 6 months worth. I know it costs alot but you need to eat to live.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Transport?

He's got his briefcase...can't you see it in the pics?

Best BOB in the biz...as long as you're dressed to the nines...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I would swap out the handcuffs for some heavy zip ties. They are lighter and have more uses. As for the other stuff, I think most of it would be useful, but you seem to be overkill in communications, and lacking in the defense and food departments.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
For a gun I have my trusty SKS packed and ready, it's a fairly cheap gun that can be bought from most gun shops for around 150, has a common round of 7.62x39 and has good stopping power. I also have a Remington model 700 ADL chambered in .308, but that's a much higher priced gun (starts around 650) but it will definately reach out and touch something. I used to competition shoot at 1000 meters with it.

I don't adhere too much in the use of hand guns, I would much rather be at a good distance when I start shooting something that could either eat me or shoot back but I also have my Sig P229 DAK .40 S&W. The SKS is viable to 300 meters and still retains much of it's accuracy.

I would also suggest "The SAS Survival Guide", you can get it from Amazon for around 15 bucks and it is very educational on makeshift shelter building, edible plants and marine life, first aide, trapping and almost all other survival material.

I have a medium ALICE pack that is stocked with my supplies which include the following items. 500' of Paracord, 2 Sunlight SL4 dive lights that are waterproof to 250', Potassium Iodide tablets just in case of minimal contact with radiation,a 75 count assortment of fish hooks, spool of 20# test braided fishing line (not monofilament), a C.C. Radio hand crank radio w/ weather band, wet stone, a torch striker w/ additional flints for fire starting, magnifying glass for fire starting (remember burning those ants as a kid?!) 50' of single strand telephone wire(perfect for making snares).I also have 2 each of mouse and rat traps since they are great for small varmits and make good trip mechanisms for larger traps.

Box of 50 ER EMERGENCY READY Water Purification Tablets, 3 pairs of socks(jungle foot is bad news), 3 pairs of underwaer(jungle crack is even worse!), 3 space blankets, Iodized salt container(you lose a lot in sweat), a 1 gallon ziplock bag of compressed dryer lint(best tinder in the world), 2 azimuth compasses, map of the U.S.(laminated), Flint Knapping kit consisting of 2 antler tips and 2 round river stones and patch of thick leather, and an assortment of MRE's for emergency use, 3 plasitic G.I. canteens, and plenty of spare ziplock zipper bags to keep things dry.

I also have a large Marine Grade first aide kit that I have added scalpels, suture and needles, diabetic needles(who knows what you may need them for) iodine, hydrogen peroxide, and alchohal to.

This is a rather large kit and I admit that I wouldn't enjoy hicking a long distance with it, but survival is about needs not desires. I also have a pre-arranged plan that my family is aware of and once I get to the predetermined spot hopefully I won't have to be hiking too much.

The reason I stressed not to use monofilament fishing line is that the braided line does not stretch and can therefore be braided with 2 other strands to make a line for a bow that will handle a 60# draw if needed which is more than enough draw to stop larger game, or a person. Also braided line is not destroyed nearly as fast by UV light so it will last much longer.

I have my dad's Marine Corps issue K-Bar and 2 Smith & Wesson folding knives as well as a Kukri. I have other supplies such as tarps and some hand tools that I keep in a duffle bag in my garage that can be thrown in my Jeep along with my ALICE pack in a moments notice but my main concern is my ALICE pack and my 2 choosen firearms in a pure survival scenario.

edit on 28-9-2011 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
I would swap out the handcuffs for some heavy zip ties. They are lighter and have more uses. As for the other stuff, I think most of it would be useful, but you seem to be overkill in communications, and lacking in the defense and food departments.

I agree, a little over kill on communications. Zip ties are a great idea!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cdesigns

You have little commonality in your kit. Anything that take electrical power should be common batteries. Commonality also includes ammo. What you are more than likely to stumble across in your travels.

Handcuffs? In my case, in a SHTF situation...I ain't looking' to take prisoners. Just another body to take care of with no return.

When it comes to power requirements, you should be thinking solar as well as hand crank power. They make these kits, quite small as well and easily portable

Keep your ammo requirements to a minimum of three common calibers. .22 is a good start. Mossberg makes the ATS which can eat all three major GA shells. After that, I would recommend 5.56 or 7.62 NATO. I recommend 7.62 though you have consider weight vs quanity.

If your hunkering down though, by all means…stock up.

But if you are on the move, you have to carry it and that is a BIG consideration.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Excellent!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It's also important to know that the best survival kit we have is our ability to control our emotions, adapt to any situation, and use common sense. The human body can survive amazing things we have just been desensitized to our environment due to modern technology.

We have to remember that aside from all of our marvelous creations we are still a member of the animal family and if you throw of social stigma's and listen to your animal instincts you will be amazed what you can endure.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Nice equipment, but where is the food?

All that is no good without something to eat.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I will be preparing 3 bags, 1 for home and 2 for the cars, guns and ammo will be always at home thought, on every car I have a few bottles of water and slim jims not enought but its something, I plan to have a small survival kit in my grandparents home since I'm always there too. A survival kit will never be perfect because is very difficult to know what you will need depending ont he situation, I have backpacks with water bags and straws, and I can fit enought stuff in them. I'm buying comoflauge pants with multipockets and have them in the backpack ready to go, that way I can fill the pockets with things that I might need.

Like I said every car will have a small survival kit, and my house will have most of them, I always carry my gun and 2 clips so protection is not a problem.

My survival kit is a work in progress.

Originally posted by Skewed
If it is a situation where you have to be on the move how are you going to transport it. I see some things there and combined with other stuff, you are going to bit heavy if you happen to have a long walk in front of you. I think you need to break your plan up into parts. And this does not include your daily needs, clothing, water, etc.

Have your evacuation bag, everything you think you would need to last a few days and able to carry it on your back.

Then after you have your bag that you can just take off with, have your bug-in kit where if the situation allows, you can stay put. I think if you are going to prepare for an emergency that we do not know what it is, you need to cover all the bases. From my experience and from what I have seen a lot of times is people only prepare half way. Not knowing the emergency makes it difficult to prepare. But, I think if you are going to prepare you will need a bug-out bag and a bug-in bag.

Personally, I have my bag that is ready to go at a moments notice that can get me by for a several days. Then I also have my supplies and gear in the event I am able to stay put, but willing to leave it behind if I need to vacate.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Are you tagging women and children along also?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This kit can be broken down for portable use, I'm trying to get enought stuff to make 3 kits, hopefully I'm at home if a disaster happens and I can gather what I need depending on the situation, but if we get a deadly virus that its killing people everywhere and I don't get infected at least I will have time to plan a good kit with the things that I have. I also have 10 galons of fuel in my garage with fuel preserver and I try to use it once a month and refuel.

This week I will be buying portable bottles with filters inside and other type of filters to clean water if I'm not home + lots of ammo.

Originally posted by morder1
I was wondering if this is a portable kit or for bugging in? Seems like alot of stuff to haul around with you, plus no food, shelter material or water purification.

Still it gave me some good ideas for stuff to put in my BOB.

How expensive is the nightvision monocular? Seems like a nice tool to have.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join