It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bake sale's racial pricing rocks UC Berkeley campus

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by buddhasystem

There are many facets of what you wrote in that paragraph that I have issues with, but let's start with the following: there are races that have NOTHING in the way of what you defined as "white" (Chinese, Iranians etc) who have not so shabby boats themselves. Have you been to Taiwan?

We are talking about in America, nice attempt at distraction and obfuscation.

Race has no borders, like it or not. If I'm a son of a well-to-do family from Senegal that moved to the US (and I've seen such people), all of a sudden I'll get into the school, even if my grades are lower than these of that white kid also waiting in line. What's so "distracting" and "obfuscating" here?

Yes, and we all know how forgiving the white people were after stealing land from the natives and labor from the blacks. They are so forgiving, they allow a couple of us to get an education! How nice of them!

So, you are so stuck in the past that you simply want to rob a few white folks just to get even? Because that's robbery.

Or did the natives not deserve the land stolen from them?

How being racist is going to fix that? Do you feel big by making other people look small?
Pathetic.

edit on 27-9-2011 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

No I want to talk about that. We are screwing ourselves; we have an upper class that would sell all of us down the river if it would make them some extra money. They send good jobs overseas for foreign workers, whom they exploit; to make the goods they ship them back to this country, screwing us over. To me, this upper class which has infested itself in our government, media, business, etc… is the real threat to everyone on the planet.

I would like to ask them how they sleep at night after they turned their back on the country which allowed them to become so successful.

And okay about holding everyone else back, where the hell were these supposed suppressed people for the thousands of years before white man even stepped foot in sub-Saharan Africa or the Americas? They had time to develop just like we did; the difference is that they did not. What, you don’t think if the Africans had access to the technologies Europeans did that they would not have done the same? I know that is rather a petty argument to make but it is a good question nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stinger94

Originally posted by stinger94

Originally posted by celticsea
I saw this and thought it was disgusting. Why do white people get charged so much? All of us are not rich. I think this is reverse discrimination. What ever happpened to treating everybody equal?

Because all of your ancestors ate all of the worlds cookies, not leaving any for anyone else, and left you in position to have the most out of whats left.

Now some people consider it fair that some other people get a chance at cookies too.

Ah, but enough time has passed where every one can bake their own cookies.

Really? So why are all the black ovens in the inner city, and all the native ovens on reservations?

Why are all the white ovens to make cookies in the really nice parts of town?

Maybe I'm not done, because you are everything you so called hate.

Right here really proves how racist and bigoted you are. Not all black ovens are in the inner city. There are
many blacks owning there own businesses, running charities, in charge of states and countries. Not all native American ovens are on reservations, in fact there are a few native American congressmen and Governors. Some own their own businesses as well, and there are plenty of white ovens in the inner cities. You generalize everyone into a category and stick with it. Thank god many of your brethren don't think like you do.

Haha, you are hilarious. A few native american congressman and governors? "See here minorities, you have a couple, you have been fairly represented!"

What is the population percentage in this country? whites make up less than half the population....but over 90% of our government is white, and 90% of the wealth is in white hands....

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

No I want to talk about that. We are screwing ourselves; we have an upper class that would sell all of us down the river if it would make them some extra money. They send good jobs overseas for foreign workers, whom they exploit; to make the goods they ship them back to this country, screwing us over. To me, this upper class which has infested itself in our government, media, business, etc… is the real threat to everyone on the planet.

I would like to ask them how they sleep at night after they turned their back on the country which allowed them to become so successful.

And okay about holding everyone else back, where the hell were these supposed suppressed people for the thousands of years before white man even stepped foot in sub-Saharan Africa or the Americas? They had time to develop just like we did; the difference is that they did not. What, you don’t think if the Africans had access to the technologies Europeans did that they would not have done the same? I know that is rather a petty argument to make but it is a good question nonetheless.

But a couple posts ago, you were talking about how great this country is, and how it is amazing that we have cheap goods, and that we can thank the white man for that!

But in this post, it doesnt sound like you are thanking the white man. Make up your mind.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Im done putting up wuth the same repeated racist lies.

Deny ignorance....even when it hurts. And you people sure are ignorant.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Ah I see, so you are saying that basically at the fundamental core of redistribution of wealth is that in the eyes of many or most minorities, the whites hold the vast majority of the wealth and need to share it by the barrel of a gun with people who never earned it themselves. It is not something I had not already suspected but thanks for clearing it up for me.

So this whole "soak the rich" is actually "soak the whites". Okay, got it.
edit on 9/27/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

My mind is made up, most industry and growth was created in Western nations. Not until recently has this outsourcing begun where the Western elite screw us over to get rich. Yes Westerners created these things but now the elite Westerners see better opportunity in using cheap foreign labor. I do not believe it is contradictory to say that, whites created much of the industry then our elite sold us out.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I see only one person in this entire thread with race issues

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

agreed

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
My parents family has been in America for several generations, fought in the wars,
died in the wars. I don't see how it just, equal or fair to put me in the back of the line
because I was born white. No more than I see it being fair that a black person has to
go to the back of the line.
edit on 27-9-2011 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
You realize that you are racist, right?

A white person living in Ireland is responsible to make up for anything anyone ever did anywhere on the planet at any time. Based on....being white.

Awesome.

I have always thought people should be treated equal. The way the world is now with downsizing and shipping our jobs overseas, I think that we should be treated as all equal. Because we are all in the same boat.

It seems like alot of white people i generally know as prejudiced lately have been talking about "treating people equal" an awful lot, after mistreating the rest of the world for centuries. Funny how they want to forgive and forget, just as they are starting to lose their grip on power.

When will white people ever stop bringing up this "sins of the father" crybaby argument. You benefitted from your forefathers, but you dont want to pay their bill. If you dont want to pay their bill, that is fine; but then you must try to rebuld bridges that were burned by your ancestors.

whining about affirmative action is not the way to make amends.

You must be talking about someone else's family.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
And how any of this gets us back to the Berkely situation is beyond me. Should the kids in the Republican committee at school be kicked out? Not in my opinion. Should they be punished, yes. They have explained their position which upset many people. Of all races. They also shed light on to unfair practices in the admissions program. One that the US Supreme said was unconstitutional. Using racial quotas was banned many years ago stating it was an unfair practice that could lead to reverse discrimination. These kids were showing the practice still went on in their belief, and were drawing attention to it.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

We do not have to build bridges that were built by our ancestors. We have to deal with what is today. There are many people in pain and and we have to deal with now.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
You know, there is more hate building in this country than I would have thought possible in my lifetime. Yes, I'm part white and part Choctaw Indian. I was here to see the civil rights movement, which most people hated, white and black, north and south. But, me like most people then, were willing to give a hand up to those in society who had been mistreated. I said HAND UP, not generation after generation of hand outs. At some point though, the debt has to be stamped PAID.

We, as a nation, cannot keep going like we are. We are being divided more and more as time goes on. I worked as a kid mowing lawns, doing farm work to save money for my college education. My family was poor, but I didn't know it because most people in the south when I was growing up were also poor. And we didn't have anywhere to turn for help except to each other, neighbors and family. I had black neighbors and white neighbors; black friends and white friends. Us boys of both colors hunted and fished together and families shared vegetables from each others gardens. Somewhere along the line things started changing. Suddenly, the white man was guilty of all kinds of things. He gave more money to causes, helped kids get breaks to further their educations, but where has it got us?

We've got inner cities full of uneducated, poor people still wanting hand-outs. So, how many generations is this to continue? I'd like to know so that I can help my great-grandchildren maybe get an education. Yep, it's been going for that long.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

We cannot undo what has been done. We have to deal with what is today.

Well, then when a gang of dudes kick in your door and your local police force, made up mainly of people of color, dont do anything about, then you will live with that decision and that mindset. im sure in the southwest it will be happening soon enough, or is now, with mexicans/latinos.

You can say "we cant undo", and then just aexpect people to bend over and take an ass #ing.
edit on 27-9-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

I'd love them to try that in my house

No I don't think it will happen in the south, we have guns and some of us (a LOT of us) you really don't wanna # with, I'll tell you that much

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Yes some white people are racist, some black people are also racist. And now I've just met a racist Indian. World keeps spinning and stereotypes keep going.

OT: I've made a topic about something similar to this on another forum. Maybe I'll bring it ATS?
edit on 9/27/2011 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

SM2

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
arguments that are null and void in a discussion on race......

1. reverse discrimination. It does not exist, there is no such thing, minorities do not have a monopoly on discrimination. Whites can be discriminated on just as much as any other ethnic or racial group. Racial bigotry is equally distributed amongst the races, although in the past decade or so, it seems to be more prevalent amongst the minorities. The point of this remark though is that discrimination is discrimination, there is no reverse, diagonal, lateral, left, right whatever other axis you chose, its just discrimination period.

2. using the slavery of 200 years ago as an argument for anything today other then for historical reasons. You are not, nor have you ever been a slave, and I do not, nor have I ever owned a slave, for that matter, my family has never owned slaves.

3. Pulling the race card out just because it makes you feel high and mighty or gives you a strategical advantage in an argument. Example, you must be a racist because you do not like Obama. This is the lamest thing a person can do. They have no real argument or defense, so they resort to name calling, which in turn inflames racial tensions that would otherwise not be present. It is purely idiotic, childish and shows a complete lack of tact and intelligence.

So, if I offended anyones delicate liberal political correct bleeding heart, I am sorry, but I what i typed is the truth as I know it. Anything that gives one race, gender, ethnic, sexual orientation,etc an advantage over any other aforementioned group is discrimination point blank, you do not have to like it, but, it is fact. Affirmitive action etc is discrimnation.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
This group at UC does this I think yearly, but I still don't understand their point. The whole thing is insensitive to me. Do they really think that life is harder for a white male than a black female? What a stupid idea.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreesusChrist
This group at UC does this I think yearly, but I still don't understand their point. The whole thing is insensitive to me. Do they really think that life is harder for a white male than a black female? What a stupid idea.

In some cases yes it could be. An urban white kid, and a girl that comes from an affluent black family, yes, it would be much harder on the white kid. And I have to completely agree with the above poster that discrimination is still discrimination. I wrongly used reverse discrimination because if I said whites were discriminated against, people may have jumped on board with the whites can't be discriminated against bandwagon.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I'm not actually complaining about anything. In fact I think the white anger is also rediculous. I am just pointing out a flaw in the bake sale pricing system. A Native American woman could come and purchase everything available at the bake sale without paying a cent and their political satire protest would be over before it begun. I just found that pretty funny otherwise I wouldn't comment on a stupid thread like this.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join