It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bake sale's racial pricing rocks UC Berkeley campus

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

My fore fathers wernt here during all of the benifits you speak of. We didnt own slaves, We didnt fight indians,take there land and yet you can state as fact that we did. Wow are you are time traveler. There is an old saying that goes as such..............You talk like a man with a paper hindend................think about it.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by mishigas

what was wrong with selecting university entrants based on inteligence ?

that depends on how you decide to define what intelligence is...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by celticsea

I think it is disgusting the way american indians were treated. If i could i would give them back what has been taken, but we are now in the same boat and must learn to get along.

Screw them. "Hello stoneage, meet the industrial age!" It's as simple as that. Maybe you wish it was a lot more like Africa around here? I don't. They were murdering savages and now they aren't. Actually, WE were all murdering savages and now WE aren't.

Europe was killing the natives here for 400 years before there was any such thing as the United States.

Would you like a free muffin?

White ancestors did the best they could with what they had. Black ancestors took a boat ride that sucked really bad but was the best thing they ever did for their great great grandchildren. And native ancestors did the best they could with what they had too. Nature's a bitch and you can't regulate it.

Insensitive? So what!? It's a lot less hateful than all the "BS" I'm reading in this thread.
edit on 28-9-2011 by TreadUpon because: To add WE...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
post x2
edit on 28-9-2011 by TreadUpon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
What if your a white man who only has 75 cents and is hungry. You are standing next to a Native American woman a black woman a Latino woman and an Asian woman all of whom are rich and plan to buy out all the baked goods just so you the white ,man cannot get any.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Didn't you read the post... it's not about intelligence.. it's about race..

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
So according to the bake sale pricing system a female Native American would get whatever they wanted for free. Sweet.
edit on 27-9-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

Yes, because this is so realistic.

My mom is a native american woman who has never got # for free, i never got anything for free for being half. All this white anger about this topic is straight up stupid and based on disinformation.

Some sweeping statements coming from your "non-racist" quarter.
Just out of interest as well, I thought the term "native american" was not really PC anymore. As far as Im aware, I believe the term is First Nation. Im not from the US and cant be certain, but I did have family that was very closely linked to the Nuu-chah-nulth first nation people of Vancouver Island, and this was something they (the Nuu-chah-nulth people) advocated.
EDIT: Just checked, and it seems the term "First Nation" is mostly used for the indigenous people of Canada, not the US. My Bad.....

On topic: Nothing like a good bit of satire to get the juices flowing....
edit on 28-9-2011 by AbdulAlhazred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

As far as genetics are concerned brain capacity is simply a function of usage. The only true difference between the races are that blacks are stronger than most races "stock", ie, their physiology allows them to perform physical work more efficiently and tire less. Thats because they were bred that way as slaves. After a few hundred years that will fade out except in the families that keep athletically active. Its simple epigenetic adaption. "White man can't jump" because he bred the black man to do it, so to speak. White man obviously can jump if he trains his body to, and his offspring will carry on those epigenetic markers.

Hope that explains that there are actual differences between the races, but intelligence, because of neuroplasticity, is generally an individual characteristic.
edit on 28-9-2011 by angrysniper because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I don't understand all the arguments in this thread. The satirical bake sale was held to help to make a very specific point -

It is not moral nor is it logical to offer anything to one individual that you wouldn't offer to any another individual for the same cost or under the exact same criteria.

At this point in our history anyone can succeed if they put forth enough effort, there are too many examples to site. I'm not saying everyone starts off equally, that will always be impossible. I am saying that if ANYONE in the U.S. wants to be successful, they can be ... not saying they will be, but it is possible to be.

To give or deny any opportunity based on skin color or heritage is going backwards.

edit on 9/28/2011 by RedParrotHead because: typo

edit on 9/28/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I never understood how can it be even considered in the US to take race or gender into account when we are dealing with university exams. Uni exams here are done anonymously (you receive a number), and if any university tried to even find out about race, religion, sexual orientation and such private matters of the applicants, it would have a lawsuit to deal with. Not even talking about if it tried to assign points for any such thing, major #storm would ensue then.

Why isnt all racial profiling still not illegal in the US in 21.st century?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'll never for the life of me understand why so many of you feel it necessary to engage trolls like dragging knuckles or whatever the hell his name was. I don't care enough to get it right. That guy sucks SO HARD, and you're all throwing logic at him like water at a wall. What a waste of a morning.

I like the fact that the Irish were brought up, though. And I think the only valid points of this thread are as follows.

One, the bake sale was hilarious.

Two, thinking that a boatload of immigrants to America should be treated any better or worse because of the color of their skin is racist, no matter what side of the spectrum you may fall on. To expect a boatload of Irishmen who have never set foot on American soil in their lives to pay for the war crimes of a bunch of dead white people who took over the land from some brown people is irrational, and can only breed irrational viewpoints.

To justify affirmative action by saying that this government should be giving something special to certain people for how badly their ancestors were treated is a lame, lame thing to think. I could try and polish that viewpoint, and end up coming off all highheaded and overtly articulate, but hey guys. THAT IS LAME. STOP BEING LAME. WAKE UP ALREADY.

I live in Massachusetts. If I were a pregnant spanish girl, I would have free healthcare, free college, and subsidized housing. But I'm not....So I pay for my healthcare, I pay a LOT of college, and I don't have a penny to my name half the time. I buy cheap food because I have to in order to eat. After college, hopefully the job market is good, and I manage to land something awesome. I have a decent job, but the cost of living is so damn high that my money is gone before I even have the chance to think about what I'd ACTUALLY like to be buying. And yet I watch spanish girls I work with drive nice cars, live in nicer apartments, and make less than I do. This is the only world I've ever really known, and it is like this for many of us born post-civil rights era. There's definitely a new kind of angst brewing in America, and although it still comes from the oppressed, I think the skin colors are changing.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Why don't these college kids do what they are supposed to do there....get an education! Quit worrying about this crap. Does racism exist? Yep, sure does. But making laws and trying to give preferential treatment will not make it go away. In fact, it never will go away. As long as people are different there will be discrimination. Do I approve of it? NO! But that doesn't change the fact that by putting a microscope on it will not help it go away. It has to start with you. You treat others as they treat you and soon you will have people who can get along. Until then, stop wasting time and get your education!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

From what I've seen there is definitely a difference in intelligence among races. In gerneral ofcorse because there are exception.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

I disagree completely. College aged students should also be developing a bigger view of the world, after all they will inherit it. They should get involved, challenge the status quo and attempt to change things for the better as well as get an education.

Us old geezers aren't going to change the world, we had our chance now our job is just make sure those young whipper snappers don't go too far.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Problem is they have been brainwashed and most generally do not get a full and accurate picture of the world as it truly is until they have lived in it for a few years. Nothing they do will change anything, the 60's should have told them that. Adults who have lived in the real world just roll their eyes and wait for them to grow up.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have been coming to this site for almost a year on a daily basis and I read many post and I truly enjoy this site and I am in no way a radical extreme black power kinda person lol
, I just thought I would give a perspective of what is normal everyday life for me.

So I went to a large university about 40,000 students, about 600 were black males ( a big chunk were football players), and about 800 were black females. Out of the 1400 blacks that went to this university probably 400 got in because they come from a low income community and neither of their parents graduated from college. I dont understand peoples extreme anger, its not like 10,000 got in because of the color of their about .01% got an opportunity. Also I did not get into school because I am black, though many people gave me that vibe naturally.

In my dorm I was the only black student on my floor of about 80 students. Talking to these students almost all of them came from private schools or very good public schools. 1 guy told me that 99% of every student goes to college from his school!

Let me take you through a day in life of a black man, who has white, muslim, indian, gay, lesbian etc friends. I am just a normal American trying to make it. In my town, yearly I get pulled over about 30 times a year, once I got pulled over twice in 1 day. They run my plates ask me were I am going, then I am on my way. In 2011 I still get called 'n-word'. (Though I don't like Obama, it seems like this is more prevalent since he has become president, so Obama has made things worse for me in daily life lol.)

Now that I have a job I see how white privilege is in a effect by default, my coworkers are very good people and I don't feel any discomfort from them. But now that I have worked with them and talked to them almost everyone of them got the jobs they have because they knew someone that knew someone 100s of people apply for the job that I have and basically each time the job already has a person they are going to pick, they just go through the motions of interviewing the public and by default 99% its a white individual who gets the job, not because they are best qualified, but because they basically get the "hook up" "white privilege". I am the only person that actually worked my way up, I worked a seasonal job and ended up being able to get full time job after showing my worth. I have brought this up to some of them and they didnt even realize it, it was just normal life for them.

Because the economy is bad and everyone is hurting, now white America is starting to know what its like to apply here and there and not even have a chance. Now the average American is starting to face police brutality for filming the police or protesting etc. Imagine facing police brutality simply because you are black ? I wish some average white people who are not even racist could turn black for a week.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

We can't expect them to actually change the world at that age, it's the striving to change the world that matters.

I have a son who recently inherited my job of mowing the law. He watched me for years and I've repeatedly told him "the best" way to do it. Sure enough he did it "his way" - it took twice as long and he missed a lot of spots. He got pretty sick of re-mowing...but after a while he developed his own method and now does it better and faster than I ever did.

These college students are discovering that the ideas that they have been spoon fed are not the only ideas, nor are they the best ideas...in some cases.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

If every native got 4.0s, and every single one of them wwanted to go to harvard, and they all got accepted, and whites and blacks bitched, I would absolutely say to let some of the blacks and whites in, even if they only got 3.8s. To not do so is just stupid, in my eyes.

Then you are a racist, plain and simple.

Blacks, whites, natives do not deserve anything just because of their skin color. Your policy would be a great injustice to those natives that deserved to be accepted based on their GPAs, but lost only due to their race.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by stinger94

To show a point that whites are being discriminated against as well. If you scored very high on your SAT's and held a 3.7-4.0, and were involved in a lot of extracurricular activities you can be wait listed or not accepting because they, (the colleges) are trying to appear to be culturally diverse. Could they have done it in a different way?

If a person has a 4.0, they can get an education. They are whining because THEY MIGHT NOT GET TO GO TO THEIR FIRST SCHOOL OF CHOICE.

Its not like the poor white kid with a 4.0 is not going ot be admitted to any school. Stop being silly.
edit on 27-9-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

We can all tell you are very angry, but who exactly are you angry at? Because you have said yourself many times in this thread everyone thinks YOU are white and treat you that way. So you are really mad at YOU for taking advantage of all of your white heritage. Your WHITE ancestors also did all the things YOU are blaming us for, yet you want to pretend that part of your blood doesn't exist, only your Indian blood does? You are the one that is benefiting from your ancestors on BOTH sides. You get the best of both worlds, you get to look and sound like a white person and all the perks that brings yet at the same time tell everyone how un-white you are and how they are despicable and you are superior because your gpa had brown skin.

You my friend are the only racist in this discussion actually.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stinger94

Originally posted by celticsea
I saw this and thought it was disgusting. Why do white people get charged so much? All of us are not rich. I think this is reverse discrimination. What ever happpened to treating everybody equal?

Because all of your ancestors ate all of the worlds cookies, not leaving any for anyone else, and left you in position to have the most out of whats left.

Now some people consider it fair that some other people get a chance at cookies too.

Ah, but enough time has passed where every one can bake their own cookies.

Really? So why are all the black ovens in the inner city, and all the native ovens on reservations?

Why are all the white ovens to make cookies in the really nice parts of town?

Oh, please, give me a break! In this day and age, everyone has equal opportunities to be and do anything they choose. Minorities have more breaks than whites and many have access to free college and medical care. Building bridges? Those bridges have already been constructed.

I have been at the end of racism and have found that minorities are just as discriminatory as many whites. I have seen that de-segregation hasn't worked to a great extent, because of racism due to blame. It's all about the blame game and I'm not racist! Changing the mindset can completely change a person's life.

Also, Knuckles, you only have to have 1/8th Native American blood to go to college free. Unfortunately, I don't have enough! I have Ute ancestors.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Onboard2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join