It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bake sale's racial pricing rocks UC Berkeley campus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Is it our fault that we did better than everyone else? Success is not to be frowned upon like you are trying to portray. We won the social Darwinist game (you believe in evolution, right?) and some people are all upset about it.

But even with the above said I have to agree with all other sane people in that we should be treated as our own individual and not held accountable for the actions of others even if we have their blood. Is the accusation "your great-grandfather owned my great-great grandfather as a slave" something which could be upheld in court as a reason for punishment? Did the accused actually participate with his own free will in the ownership of a slave? No.

Besides who are you to say it was white people who should be discriminated against to make up for the flaws of other people in the game of life. My family never owned slaves, hell they were probably the damn slaves, no one came here from Hungary in my bloood until 1914.
edit on 9/27/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

Well is the game truly over? Will you feel the same way when mobs of black people are beating down your door to lynch you? Is it their fault if they are winning the game?

Based on your south africa thread, I know the answer, and im pretty sure you think differently when the show is on the other foot.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
So according to the bake sale pricing system a female Native American would get whatever they wanted for free. Sweet.
edit on 27-9-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by mishigas

what was wrong with selecting university entrants based on inteligence ?
So you are saying racial profiling is an accurate way to measure the intelligence of a person?

I saw nothing about racial profiling in the post by chaoticorder. Merely asking why not just select the best candidate by looking at the intelligence of the individual applying? How is that racial profiling?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
So according to the bake sale pricing system a female Native American would get whatever they wanted for free. Sweet.
edit on 27-9-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

Yes, because this is so realistic.

My mom is a native american woman who has never got # for free, i never got anything for free for being half. All this white anger about this topic is straight up stupid and based on disinformation.

link   

You don't think other races are discriminatory. I have heard them talk also. Food is food. We all deserve to be able to afford it. The prices should be the same for everyone.

link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

All people should be. I am half mohawk, and half white, but I look white. Since no one suspects me of being "dirty blooded" I get to hear alot of things white people say to other white people when they think no one of color is around.

For all their "Im not racist" BS, a LOT of whites absolutely are racists and prejudiced and discriminatory.

I see this one shut everyone up pretty quick. Truth cuts to the quick, no?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by celticsea

My husband and kids are part native american. I can assure you they have never gotton anythig free either.

link   

Originally posted by celticsea

You don't think other races are discriminatory. I have heard them talk also. Food is food. We all deserve to be able to afford it. The prices should be the same for everyone.

I agree....so that means you are ready to give half of america back to the indians, right? I mean, it should be the same for everyone right?

PS: I love how you quietly dropped the "whites arent racist" claim when i busted that theory wide open, and then moved to justification. Couldnt prove my point better.

+1 more 
link   
You realize that you are racist, right?

A white person living in Ireland is responsible to make up for anything anyone ever did anywhere on the planet at any time. Based on....being white.

Awesome.

I have always thought people should be treated equal. The way the world is now with downsizing and shipping our jobs overseas, I think that we should be treated as all equal. Because we are all in the same boat.

It seems like alot of white people i generally know as prejudiced lately have been talking about "treating people equal" an awful lot, after mistreating the rest of the world for centuries. Funny how they want to forgive and forget, just as they are starting to lose their grip on power.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

My husband and kids are part native american. I can assure you they have never gotton anythig free either.

let me guess, their grandmother was cherokee, right? Everyone Ive ever met (white and black and purple) all calaim that their grandmother was a cherokee. Apparently the cherokee not only numbered in the billions, they were as prolific as rabbits as well.
edit on 27-9-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
You realize that you are racist, right?

A white person living in Ireland is responsible to make up for anything anyone ever did anywhere on the planet at any time. Based on....being white.

Awesome.

I have always thought people should be treated equal. The way the world is now with downsizing and shipping our jobs overseas, I think that we should be treated as all equal. Because we are all in the same boat.

It seems like alot of white people i generally know as prejudiced lately have been talking about "treating people equal" an awful lot, after mistreating the rest of the world for centuries. Funny how they want to forgive and forget, just as they are starting to lose their grip on power.

When will white people ever stop bringing up this "sins of the father" crybaby argument. You benefitted from your forefathers, but you dont want to pay their bill. If you dont want to pay their bill, that is fine; but then you must try to rebuld bridges that were burned by your ancestors.

whining about affirmative action is not the way to make amends.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I think it is disgusting the way american indians were treated. If i could i would give them back what has been taken, but we are now in the same boat and must learn to get along.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I think it is disgusting the way american indians were treated. If i could i would give them back what has been taken, but we are now in the same boat and must learn to get along.

No, we are not, and thats what you cant see. Whites are cruising along in an ocean liner, and most other races are in row boats, and all the white people are saying "boy, this sea sure is rough! but we are all on it together!"

If you truly could give them back whatever you could, why are you mad about affirmative action? Whats wrong with giving someone a chance?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

let me guess, their grandmother was cherokee, right? Everyone Ive ever met (white and black and purple) all calaim that their grandmother was a cherokee. Apparently the cherokee not only numbered in the billions, they were as prolific as rabbits as well.
edit on 27-9-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by mishigas

what was wrong with selecting university entrants based on inteligence ?

You then bring into the argument the notion that certain races are, by default, of a certain intelligence.

It's been done before, been argued to death before and the end result is a world gone topsy turvy.

It boils down to, if we treat everyone as stupid, then we're all equal. If we treat everyone equal, people who fail to qualify can use the race card.

The recent case of this that I can recall is the fire fighters promotion test in New Haven, Conn. The fire fighters took a test for promotion,whites and Hispanics did very well on the test, but the black people that took the test all failed. Justice Sotomayor I believe before she was elected to the Supreme Court voted against the Hispanics and whites. The reason for suing and taking it to court? Instead of promoting those that did well on their tests and qualified for promotion, the tests were thrown out and no one was promoted.
That may sound racist, but what if it were the other way around? That blacks aced the test, and Hispanics and whites failed? Who knows. The one part I left out (doing this from memory) is that they were all offered help through a local college that helps people score better on SAT, ACT and GMAT. Those that did better, got the help offered. Remember, not ALL whites and Hispanics aced the exam.

As for the bake sale, I don't think anything is wrong with satire. How is this different than other students having bake sales or other fund raisers that may rankle the feathers? How is this different then the Democrat club having bake sales that republicans or other students take offense to? They should have come out with this pricing plan ahead of time to explain their actions rather than do this by reactionary measures to prevent being looked at like they were being racist.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

What does that matter? God loves us all. No matter what the color. Don't you realize you are being racists when you say these things.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I saw this and thought it was disgusting. Why do white people get charged so much? All of us are not rich. I think this is reverse discrimination. What ever happpened to treating everybody equal?

Because all of your ancestors ate all of the worlds cookies, not leaving any for anyone else, and left you in position to have the most out of whats left.

Now some people consider it fair that some other people get a chance at cookies too.

Ah, but enough time has passed where every one can bake their own cookies.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stinger94

I saw this and thought it was disgusting. Why do white people get charged so much? All of us are not rich. I think this is reverse discrimination. What ever happpened to treating everybody equal?

Because all of your ancestors ate all of the worlds cookies, not leaving any for anyone else, and left you in position to have the most out of whats left.

Now some people consider it fair that some other people get a chance at cookies too.

Ah, but enough time has passed where every one can bake their own cookies.

Really? So why are all the black ovens in the inner city, and all the native ovens on reservations?

Why are all the white ovens to make cookies in the really nice parts of town?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I really do think we should move past racial quotas. MANY RACES and nationalities, if you go back far enough, faced discrimination.

For example, I'm an Irish American. My ancestors were treated very badly right here in America.

The Facts

During the Great Famine of the 1840's in Ireland, thousands fled for America
Many fled to Boston, and in one year Boston's Irish population jumped from 30,000-100,000
Looking for labor, many Irish turned to servitude. 70% of servants in Boston were Irish immigrants
Bostonians believed that the Irish were a servant race

xroads.virginia.edu...

I know my family was dirt poor just a couple of generations back, as was my husband's.

Now, I am a teacher in a solidly middle/upper middle class area. We have children of all races in my school, and they compete equally academically. I work with gifted students, and I have some very bright students of all races. The key is that they are all socioeconomically similar, and live in the same neighborhood. I want to point out that this is Georgia (a place most of America would incorrectly assume to be totally backwoods and racist), and we have white kids, black kids, Asian kids, Middle Eastern kids....all kinds of kids....living in the same neighborhoods. They are friends with one another, and I've never seen any of these kids treat each other differently because of race.

When given equal opportunities, these kids of many races all achieve equally. Therefore, I know that one race is not superior or inferior to another.

I do understand, however, that there are many kids (of all races) that live in poverty and are in bad neighborhoods. Life is hard for them, and I know that. I don't know what the answer is...how do we fix THAT problem...the problem of poverty in America? We've been fighting "the war on poverty" for decades, and we haven't eliminated it, despite spending lots of money and developing program after program to try and help fix the problem. Years ago (when I worked at a different school, with a more varied student population), I took a class that was focused on "children of poverty", and I know that the problem is not racial, it is cultural. Children (again, of all races) that grow up in poverty do not share what we think of as "middle class values". This class really was an eye-opener for me as a teacher, and as an American. How do we shift the thinking? I wish I knew.

But I don't think that the answer is choosing people for college based on racial quotas. To me, that should offend people of all races. I don't want special consideration because I am a woman. I want to be considered for my merit. I would think that a person would feel demeaned thinking that they had only been selected based on their race.

As a white female, I can't completely understand what it's like to be a minority, obviously. But I have a sense that much of what troubles our nation continues because we are so on edge about race. If we adults would step out of the way, I really do think the children could work it out.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

No, we are not, and thats what you cant see. Whites are cruising along in an ocean liner, and most other races are in row boats, and all the white people are saying "boy, this sea sure is rough! but we are all on it together!"

There are many facets of what you wrote in that paragraph that I have issues with, but let's start with the following: there are races that have NOTHING in the way of what you defined as "white" (Chinese, Iranians etc) who have not so shabby boats themselves. Have you been to Taiwan?

Heck, I'm sure that there are plenty of absolutely white people in the former Soviet Union that would envy what non-whites got in the US and elsewhere. Why the heck are you generalizing? How come an underprivileged white boy from Detroit becomes even more underprivileged because in addition to financial struggle, he has the color of his skin to swim against?

If you truly could give them back whatever you could, why are you mad about affirmative action? Whats wrong with giving someone a chance?

Because that means you are STEALING that chance from a deserving person, dude. I thought that was plain to see.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join