It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update: falling satellite could impact eastern U.S.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
So we arent going to see the giant fireball its going to down here in Florida? We never have nothing cool happen to us here. I'm moving to Arizona dangit.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by GenRadek
Now its over Greece! MAN that thing is hauling butt!
edit on 9/23/2011 by GenRadek because: (no reason given)

It goes around the world in 89 minutes, right Phage? CL? Help me here. Don't want to start false rumors.

So, if it is traveling 8000 miles in 89 minutes .....how fast is it going?

isnt circulferance of earth around 16000miles?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lspilot6946
So we arent going to see the giant fireball its going to make down here in Florida? We never have nothing cool happen to us here. I'm moving to Arizona dangit.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

What would Alexander say,,
tsk,tsk,,Hyphelion,,shhh, Burciphilos,,
or but were
GREEK,
sad,
to think, mankind ,
has progressed so little,
in 2000 yrs.
or longer even.
tsk,,tskk.

link   

So we arent going to see the giant fireball its going to make down here in Florida? We never have nothing cool happen to us here. I'm moving to Arizona dangit.
Opps..wrong button

link   
Hey is it just me, or are we actually watching it skip across the atmosphere? I'm watching the altitude and it was going down, now its going up. So does that mean its skipping?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 24,000 miles per hour is my guesstimate, and climbing. Sorry the pun!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
weeeee starting to fall agian

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Not 9 hours ago (was it in free-fall) when I posted that thread was it?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, 9 hours ago.
A satellite in orbit is in freefall. That's why astronauts, and everything else in it, are weightless.
edit on 9/23/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Precisely. In free fall whilst traveling so fast it never reaches the ground, it simply falls AROUND the Earth, aka orbit!

Falling falling falling round round round.

Soon though, it'll start skimming off the atmosphere, slowing down, break up, and smash into my house. I just know it.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 24,000 miles per hour is my guesstimate, and climbing. Sorry the pun!

Closer to 17,000. At 24,000 it would be on its way to Venus (or Mars, or the Sun, or..)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hey Phage, I just watched the altitude drop to 148 km, and then it went up to 151km. So it actually is skipping right now?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This thing is headed straight for DENVER!!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

And that's not a candidate for g-force? Phage is either out to ph*ck my mind or I really really shouldn't care because it's obviously out of my league of understanding.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

There may be some skipping going on but you are not seeing real time data (unless you're hooked into NORAD). You're seeing the results of an orbital calculator which doesn't take skipping into account, it's just plotting an eliptical orbit.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

Its in a elliptical orbit, hence up and down.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

And that's not a candidate for g-force? Phage is either out to ph*ck my mind or I really really shouldn't care because it's obviously out of my league of understanding.

It's easy. While in orbit, astronauts float around "weightless", spinning and such. They are in Zero G. They are traveling in the neighborhood of 18,000 mph. Zero G.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Darn, it's cloudy down here in the south-central US. I don't think I'll be able to see it.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Ah, ok, thanks Phage and Cohort! I would not have guessed that! This is pretty cool to watch!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charizard
Darn, it's cloudy down here in the south-central US. I don't think I'll be able to see it.

Be careful what you ask for. You might just get to see this thing up close and personal!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperface

Your alpha male agression will not wash with me my dear.

If this skyscrapper sized object kills a village of people it will be a nightmare.Anyway you all have your fun I'm leaving this thread.....

Skyscrapper sized? Is this thing stretching too?

In all due respect, I have shared my feelings, anxiety, disdain (for NASA), worries for humanity and overall disgust.....and there are MORE serious posts than joking,, so please lighten up!!

This isn't a friggin funeral. We're allowed to have some levity.That does not detract for our general concern over the matter. I suggest you get off ATS and go to church and pray. I mean it. No one will be snickering there. At least you'll have solace and the somberness you seek.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join