It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death-row inmate Troy Davis Denied Clemency

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Death-row inmate Troy Davis DENIED CLEMENCY

news.blogs.cnn.com

The Georgia Board of Pardons and Parole has denied clemency for death-row inmate Troy Davis.

Davis was convicted of the 1989 killing of Savannah, Georgia, police officer Mark MacPhail.

Davis is scheduled to be executed by lethal injection at 7 p.m. Wednesday at a state prison in Jackson, Georgia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.amnestyusa.org

in advance
RIP TROY DAVIS
edit on 20-9-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/20/2011 by tothetenthpower because: caps

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Very sad to hear. No one should be put to death. What right does the government and a group of nobodys on a jury have?
its a sad world we live in, guilty or not two wrongs do not make a right.

QUOTE:
"It is unconscionable that the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles has denied relief to Troy Davis. Allowing a man to be sent to death under an enormous cloud of doubt about his guilt is an outrageous affront to justice," Amnesty International said in a statement Tuesday.

news.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Won't be long before the bloodthirsty, pro-execution lot are in here - salivating over somebody else's death despite strong evidence proving this man should be given clemency.

To those people, executions are like their daily hit of heroin.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

This is very upsetting news.

There was reasonable doubt in Troy's case, and police manipulation helped aid in his sentence. Given the fact that 7 of 9 witnesses have recanted their statements and that another one of the 9 is the supposed real killer (added with the fact that there is NO DNA evidence linking Mr. Davis to the crime) this is true injustice served up Georgia style.

I wish Troy and his family luck in the coming days. My thoughts will be with him and I hope yours will be to.

Good Luck Brother.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Won't be long before the bloodthirsty, pro-execution lot are in here - salivating over somebody else's death despite strong evidence proving this man should be given clemency.

i think the suffering of others must make them feel better about their problems
its funny the us calls other cultures barbarians and what not

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Reading through some more of the comments below the article, this one caught my eye...

Christian S

What's with everyone wanting his blood? A death already occurred. What exactly will another one accomplish?

I thought the US, like other enlightened nations, had abolished state-snanctioned murder (like most of the civilized world has years, sometimes decades ago.)

Instead, the US shares their position on this with:

Iran
Iraq
Jordan
North Korea
Palestinian National Authority
Syria
Yemen
Pakistan
Lebanon
Afghanistan
Cuba
Somalia
Nigeria
Libya
Egypt
Ethiopia
Botswana

Congratulations. That's quite a club.

Put things into perspective in my honest opinion.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Very sad to hear. No one should be put to death. What right does the government and a group of nobodys on a jury have?

So, as an alternative to a jury of the accused's peers, what form of trial would you rather see?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

there is still hope
i recieved this email from amnesty international after signing their petition on the matter

Dear (mr. x),

It is with a very heavy heart and a deep sense of outrage that I let you know that the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles voted to deny clemency to Troy Davis.

This means that very little is standing in the way of the state of Georgia executing a potentially innocent man this Wednesday, September 21 st at 7pm.

The actions of the Board are astounding in the face of so much doubt in the case against Troy Davis. However, we are not prepared to accept the decision and let anyone with the power to stop the execution off the hook.

Join us in calling on the Board to reconsider its decision, and on the Chatham County (Savannah) District Attorney Larry Chisolm to do the right thing. They have until the final moments before Troy's scheduled execution to put the brakes on this runaway justice system.

We have seen an unprecedented level of support from our members, coalition partners and all sorts of concerned individuals across the political spectrum.

I was blown away as I carried one of the many boxes containing your petition signatures up to the Parole Board office last Thursday. Close to a million signatures have been collected from the many organizations working with us. I looked back as we were marching down Auburn Avenue in Atlanta Friday night and I could not see an end to the crowd. About 3,500 people came out!

The movement here is very alive. It is electric. And I have no doubt that we will raise the volume together against what could be an unthinkable injustice.

Join your voices with us - we will not allow Troy Davis to be executed, not in our names! Troy Davis and his family have counted on us for many years now and we will not let them down. Please take action - human rights and a human life are on the line. Please contact Georgia's District Attorney and urge him to stop the execution of Troy Davis.

Make the state of Georgia hear you! Tell them that executing Troy Davis will only deepen the cycle of violence and injustice.

In Solidarity,
Laura Moye
Director, Death Penalty Abolition Campaign
Amnesty International USA

P.S. We'll be organizing a Day of Protest today to express our outrage at the recent decision to deny Troy Davis clemency. And on Wednesday (Sept. 21), we're calling for a Day of Vigil on Troy's impending execution date. If you are able to organize locally for either of these events, please tell us about your plans.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

So, as an alternative to a jury of the accused's peers, what form of trial would you rather see?

i support jurys. but they shouldnt have the right to choose wether someone lives or dies.
we see what happens to some people when they are bestowed with this power (ie police, politicans etc....)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

You sound like you've assumed the role of judge and jury yourself.

It's a tough case... and one I am fairly familiar with. I feel for both the family of Davis and the slain police officer... who is now often forgotten on the way to the Troy Davis protests.

As for evidence? Witnesses that say one thing and then later recant are often held in disdain by society because... well, if they admit to lying in the first place, then there's not a lot you can say about what they may say next. I don't make the rules here... just an observation of them.

I think capital punishment is one of the last vestiges of an earlier, less humane time but hangs around because the human condition still produces enough people who kill to prevent its final extinction.

edit on 20-9-2011 by redoubt because: typos

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

One that doesn't involve juries, judges or the legal system as a whole deciding whether somebody lives or dies. It is barbaric, frequently proven wrong (execution of innocents) and quite frankly the only people who uphold such a system are psychopaths who enjoy seeing death to satisfy their blood lust.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

i support jurys. but they shouldnt have the right to choose wether someone lives or dies.
we see what happens to some people when they are bestowed with this power (ie police, politicans etc....)

So, should a jury only have an advisory position in the trial, and the judge be the penultimate decision maker in the courtroom?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

You sound like you've assumed the role of judge and jury yourself.

At least I'm not assuming the role of executioner though.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If people recant and change their statements then no one should be put to death on the recanted evidence.

If the authorities proceed then they are themselves murderers! Dont get me wrong, if he guitly then he should pay the eye for an eye price!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Poor man, rest in peace Troy, just rest in peace.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

So, should a jury only have an advisory position in the trial, and the judge be the penultimate decision maker in the courtroom?

look honestly like most things in modern life there is no right way to go about it
i think the entire system is wrong
-the fact we hire lawyers to speak mumbo jumbo and confuse the jury
-the fact that humans have many psychological flaws that stop them from making a correct decision (judge or jury)
-the police, evidence and laws are all misleading..

the fact that people are going to jail for mostly stupid crimes that dont actually effect others
why do we think its better to lock people up then to try and help them, educate them and support them?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoguePhilosopher

If people recant and change their statements then no one should be put to death on the recanted evidence.

If the authorities proceed then they are themselves murderers! Dont get me wrong, if he guitly then he should pay the eye for an eye price!

The question remains on how to accept recanted statements? You can't dismiss original testimony because then you destroy the entire process. No witness would ever again have a word worth dirt because all they would have to do is change their minds and the convict walks free.

It creates a dilemma that courts absolutely abhor because it makes a mockery of the entire process of justice... not just one segment of it.

I'm not saying that David should be executed... just stating that recanted testimonies can't be allowed to change the course of justice or, again... no testimony from any witness for any reason would ever be worth a thing.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I think 22 years is plenty enough of a sentence.Our justice system is out of whack.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
i just still cant believe that parts of america still are legally able to carry out exterminations. so many people start giving out when other countries are cutting peoples heads off or body parts, or whipping people or hanging or shooting them. it doesn't matter how its down , its still results in ending a persons life. america executes people and no one bats an eyelid.

america - the land where its an eye for an eye. a land that hasn't progressed from the old testament.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I think 22 years is plenty enough of a sentence.Our justice system is out of whack.

A human life can be paid for with 22 years?

That's interesting.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join