It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyprus starts drilling in contested area in defiance of Turkey

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Russian aircraft carrier to carry out exercises in Med Sea

Russia is sending its northern fleet led by the country's only aircraft carrier, the "Admiral Kuznetsov," to the Mediterranean Sea for exercises, daily Hürriyet reported on its website Thursday.

You've GOT to be kidding me. This is freaking dangerous... right now in the Mediterranean sea, there's Israeli, Greek, Cypriot, Turkish, British and American ships/planes doing all kind of stuff.

And now Russia is bringing their stuff too?

For fark sake.

From one my favorite movies :

Jeffrey Pelt: It would be well for your government to consider that having your ships and ours, your aircraft and ours, in such proximity... is inherently DANGEROUS. Wars have begun that way, Mr. Ambassador.

And he's totally right.
edit on 30-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
reply to post by Konstantinos

Russia defended your kind in the name of orthodoxy.This time you will be Kentucky fried chicken for the Turks.

Enjoy your march to the third world Greece.

Source? Tell me exactly when Russia defended "my kind"?
Aside from this being completely erroneous, it is also off-topic. The point of contention is if Russia would help Cyprus, not Greece.
Hypothetically speaking, IF Russia decided to help Cyprus, by default they would become Greek & EU allies.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

That is correct , if Russia was to openly support Cyprus then it must use Greece as a proxy. Now what better way to kick start Greece's economy then a skirmish with the financial backing of Israel.... anyone care to guess whats coming mid december ?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23432

Invasion , it was not . Occupation , it was not .
Liberation , it was just that and since 1974 , No Turks were killed on the Island of Cyprus .

You say liberation, the rest of the world says occupation. Nobody has recognized TRNC and nobody will, strictly based on the precedence that an invador can create a new allied state through force.
BTW, you claim no CT's were killed in Cyprus since 1974, whereas I can give you lists upon lists of missing or killed GC's since 1974. What does that tell you of your "liberation" campaign?

Baah , false logic . As every military tactician knows that you would take a little bit more then what you need so when the negotiations begin , you can give it back .

By your logic then, at least some of the territory should have been given back, none has.

I really started to think that you are actually unaware about the realities on the ground in Balkans Greeks may refer to it as whatever they may want but they will not get the trust of Turks by calling Istanbul by any other name .
I sure know about Istanbul or Constantinapolis .
I also know about Enosis too .

So Turkey's distrust stems from a name of a historic site? So that's how Turkey sets it's foreign policy?
I know about Enosis as well, and it was the agenda of a Military Junta, not the people of Greece or Cyprus.
I also know about the Grey Wolves, but I don't equate them to the general Turkish populace.

Correction, according to the Greeks (and UN international law) Turks need permission to sail into waters off Greek islands in the Aegean , there's a difference.

Finest sophistry but I am immune to it .

Take a one look at the map of Aegean & Med , you can see the " Containment " policy is going to end up costing far more then it is worth . Besides , Turks don't consent to this obligation as it is their right not to do so .
Pragmatic & realistic solutions are needed from the point of the Greeks . Not conjecture .

It's not a containment policy or conjecture, it's the UN territorial waters law, but then again I suppose it wouldn't be the first time that Turkey refuses to acknowledge international laws.

You also asked as Why the world should trust the Turks .
You do mean the christian world by and large yet you don't realize that is what you are saying .

Bias , religionist and really up in cloud cuckoo land . Kinda typical of some Greeks and Turks I know .
]
Irony is delicious wouldn't you say ?

actually
You still did not answer my question about why Turkey violated the agreed cease-fire?
3 days later Turkish forces attacked again. The point has nothing to do with religion unless you want to invoke the practice of taqiyya and/or kitman. Which would just reinforce the lack of faith anyone would have in a Turkish agreement.
edit on 30-9-2011 by Konstantinos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm still awaiting an answer, otherwise I'll interpret your silence as "no explanation" leading me to believe that I am correct in distrusting any Turkish promises in regards to Cyprus.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Turkey, Israel moves hike East Med tension

Tension over disputed natural gas fields in the eastern Mediterranean has sharpened in recent days with Turkey sending a second exploration ship to Cyprus while Israel, feuding with Turkey, has air force exercises.

Seriously Turkey?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Konstantinos
I'm still awaiting an answer, otherwise I'll interpret your silence as "no explanation" leading me to believe that I am correct in distrusting any Turkish promises in regards to Cyprus.

Excuses for being so late in reply .

It was a military necessity for Turkish troops and tanks to be spread out from the little pocket they were located .

Intel has lead Turks to believe that an unlikely attack might occur on their positions and as long as the troops were kept in such a small area , the result of an attack would be too costly .

Military operations are like that ; once you start moving your army , you better know where to stop , where not to stop .

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Turkey, Israel moves hike East Med tension

Tension over disputed natural gas fields in the eastern Mediterranean has sharpened in recent days with Turkey sending a second exploration ship to Cyprus while Israel, feuding with Turkey, has air force exercises.

Seriously Turkey?

Eastern Meds energy reserves will NOT be pirated nor hogged .

Equal access to resources in the area is fair & just and that is how should be .

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konstantinos

Excuses for being so late in reply .

It was a military necessity for Turkish troops and tanks to be spread out from the little pocket they were located .

Intel has lead Turks to believe that an unlikely attack might occur on their positions and as long as the troops were kept in such a small area , the result of an attack would be too costly .

Military operations are like that ; once you start moving your army , you better know where to stop , where not to stop .

You forgot to add "regardless of what agreements are made during a cease-fire" this is why there is distrust.
When you promise to stop, and then conitnue, it's very difficult for anyone to trust you again.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join