It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Road And The Realistic Post- Apocalyptic Future

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
First,I sometimes think people fantasize about the post -SHTF.They want it.

Well,maybe you don't,you just need a change from your dreary life.

I have watched this movie a few times,and it disturbs me.
To try to survive ,or,to put a bullet in your head to end it.
Do you have the "fire " inside you to survive?
How bad does it have to get before you are faced with the tipping point of survive or die.
When all vegetation is dead and most animals,are you going to keep a basement full of people like a bunch of hogs for butcher later on?I know pretty freaking sick and extreme.

So,here is what I'm talking about,the movie.

www.theroad-movie.com...

The Road follows an unnamed father and son journeying together across a grim post-apocalyptic landscape, some years after a great, unexplained cataclysm has destroyed most civilization and most life on Earth. Realizing that they will not survive another winter in their unspecified original location, the father leads the boy south, through a desolate American landscape along a vacant highway, towards the sea, sustained only by the vague hope of finding warmth and more "good guys" like them, and carrying with them only what is on their backs and what will fit into a damaged supermarket cart. The setting is very cold, dark and filled with ash, and the land is devoid of living animals and vegetation. There is frequent rain or gray snow, and occasional electrical storms. Many of the remaining human survivors are cannibalistic tribes or nomads, scavenging the detritus of city and country alike for human flesh, though that too is almost entirely depleted. Overwhelmed by this desperate and apparently hopeless situation, the boy's mother, pregnant with him at the time of the cataclysm, commits suicide some time before the story begins; the rationality and calmness of her act being her last "great gift" to the man and the boy. The father coughs blood every morning and eventually realizes he is dying, yet still struggles to protect his son from the constant threats of attack, exposure, and starvation. The revolver they carry, meant for protection or suicide if necessary, has only one round for much of the story. The boy has been told to use it on himself if capture is imminent, to spare himself the horror of death at the hands of the cannibals. In the face of these obstacles, the man and the boy have only each other. They repeatedly assure one another that they are "the good guys," who are "carrying the fire" of humanity and civilization. On their journey, the duo scrounge for food, encounter and evade roving bands of cannibals, and contend with horrors such as a newborn infant being roasted on a spit, and people being kept captive as they are slowly harvested for food. The vast majority of the book is written in the third person, with references to "the father" and "the son" or to "the man" and "the boy." Although the man and the boy eventually reach the sea, neither the climate nor availability of food improves. The man succumbs to an illness and dies, leaving the boy alone. Not long before he dies, the father tells the boy that he can continue to speak with him in his imagination after he is gone. The boy holds wake over his father's corpse for three days, with no idea of what he is to do next. On the third day, the grieving boy encounters a man who says he has been tracking the father and son. This man, who has a woman and two children of his own, a boy and a girl, invites him to join his family after convincing the boy that he is indeed one of the "good guys", like the boy and his dead father. A brief epilogue following meditates on nature and infinity in this altered environment.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 18-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
i guess i should start saving my bottle caps and figure out how to make some fixer

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Maybe this is wrong, but I was rooting for that kid to get killed the whole movie.
I just couldn't take his whining anymore. Shut up kid!!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well,then,I know who to avoid.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
that is a great movie... probably the most realistic as far as post-apocalyptic go
vigo is the man

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
i guess i should start saving my bottle caps and figure out how to make some fixer

Really don't get what you are going with that.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
That movie disturbed me greatly but I would watch it again (for a third time)

Yeah, I'm up for it.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
That movie disturbed me greatly but I would watch it again (for a third time)

Yeah, I'm up for it.

So,at what point would you just give up?
Like his wife,who had enough and just went out into the cold to die.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I wouldn't, I'd keep looking for food and try to stay out of sight.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
yeah the road was definately bleak.

but what you should take from it and most people just dont seem to realize finding a fully stocked bomb shelter

the number of people who have those fallout shelters and who stock up on food and supplies are simply staggering

in real life goto youtube and watch some of those videos food guns ammo medicines

they get a bad rap but if something ever did happen even to the magnitude of the road.

gives me hope that some people will not have it that bad.

but then agian since when has hollywood ever gotten it right.

look at their movies

mad max
road warrior
the road
book of eli

im forgetting some

and then there are the tv series like

jericho
walking dead

couple more im cant remember watched them on netflix.

lastly didnt like the road too much like was said oo much whining and crying and an over protective father who produced a son who couldnt even begin to take care of himself.

and i do lpve the genre and no i dont want it to happen
edit on 18-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Did you ever see the movie Hanna,it's new,and her farther taught her how to survive,but she was genetically altered to be a super soldier. But,that movie shows details of her father teaching her how to survive.

BTW: Jericho was another go example.
Thanks for all those !

edit on 18-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I would never want to live in a post-apocalyptic world.

The afterlife is a far better option.

edit on 18-9-2011 by Quyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Haven't seen the movie but read the book a long while ago...I like the angle Cormack McCarthy took...the man and the boy...very sad and moving book. More of how I see it going if there is some event.

CJ

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quyll
I would never want to live in a post-apocalyptic world.

The afterlife is a far better option imo.

That could be very true.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

forgot about that one thanks for the tip

im sure there alot i havent seen

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

If you believe in the ability for human beings to ascend after they die, than yes.

It's a far better option that I most certainly look forward to.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

forgot about that one thanks for the tip

im sure there alot i havent seen

You forgot water world.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I haven't seen the movie, I read the book ... I don't think I'd want to live in a world like that
It was too sad, and the boy constantly complaining, well yeah that was annoying too!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

yeah and the postman

quite a few really

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
It was a great book and a great movie.
I would have stayed in the bomb shelter but I can understand the guy trying to find somewhere safe for his son before he died.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join