It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Road And The Realistic Post- Apocalyptic Future

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

Thanks for that tip,I will look into it.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

I really love the Fallout 3 trailer.

Hilarious

edit on 19-9-2011 by Quyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
If I had no one else to look after, a post apocalyptic World wouldn't bother me at all. The playing field would once again be leveled, and survival of the fittest (both mentally & physically) would be the order of the day. I'd enjoy the challenge of living by my wits and the strength of my arms. Whether I lived or died would be of little consequence. The World as it currently exists is boring and stagnated.You can't fight fate no matter how hard you try.. If it's your time to go, you're gone.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I found the movie very intriguing. Anyone notice Robert Duvall as the old man they met had a fire with?
What was disturbing was how easily it seemed for people to turn to cannibalism. Then again, there many nutjobs out there. If many of them survived, it would make things much worse.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Think about people like you would an electron. They'll typically take the path of least resistance if more than one option is available to them.

i.e. Walk the roads that are paved and easily navigated, or blaze a trail through the woods that is slower and more time consuming? The woods are far safer, but most will choose the road because they're lazy. The human predators will already know this and will be waiting in ambush.

Hunt/forage/or plant crops which requires time and effort, or capture and eat the weaker, more gullible survivors about you?

edit on 20-9-2011 by Redwing48 because: grammar

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Both the book and the film were very disturbing, but in a way important. A lot of us would prefer to think of humanity as a loving individuals, which we can choose to be. In times of emergency, disaster or chaos, there have been many instances when humans turn feral. Think of the plague times, famine, the fall of Rome and Katrina (just a few examples amongst countless)- it only takes a little for some to completely turn against their fellow men, lose hope and drop even the pretense of morality and the rule of law. It doesn't have to be that way, and mostly it isn't: people band together and work hard at seemingly impossible tasks and recreate society within weeks or a generation or two.

I think if you don't have some way of protecting yourselves, you may be lost to the thugs. If you try to isolate and limit those you protect, you're probably lost too, because eventually a larger force of thugs will come and take all that you have. If it's possible, I think you have to band together with as many people as you can get, and as many weapons/ supplies as you can get, grow/ raise food ASAP, and the big must is a social contract of some kind that is enforced ruthlessly with exile, like a basic constitution that recognizes individual rights and the worth of the human person. Welcome new people, instead of only seeing more mouths to feed and competitors for the remaining women.

As far as giving up, I think that you never know what could happen. We all die, why rush it? Maybe our struggles, unknown to us, will inspire and help transform future generations. We do have the capacity and brain power to problem solve, instead of reverting to cannabalism and murder of fellow unfortunates. Energy could be directed to coordinated scouting missions, time spent relearning how to grow food, build and maintain structures, how to make radioactive grass into a delicious stew, and developing new highly marketable wandering minstrel talents which could save you and everyone with you and future generations. Most people will choose sanity. Most people would choose not to kill each other over Cheetos.

I hope with all my heart we aren't headed towards such a future, but bear in mind, there are corners of the world that are already like that (excepting the radiation hopefully) with thugdom large & in charge and child rape, slavery, murder, terror and starvation a daily event.

I guess, in the end, even if our efforts are futile we must reach for what could be even if we fail and die horribly. I'd rather die striving and hoping than from eating someone's undercooked Grandma.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sayaangel

Humans by nature are cruel. We're simply intelligent, thinking animals which is far worse. Animals kill for food or in self-defense, man on the otherhand often kills for pleasure (hunters, serial killers, etc.). We all love the sight of blood and gore as long as it isn't our own! Football and hockey are just modern day variants of the Roman Coliseum.

Take law enforcement out of the equation and people will quickly revert back to their inherent barbaric nature. It's in our genes. Civilization is an unnatural state that must ultimately fail.

edit on 20-9-2011 by Redwing48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Redwing48

I think you have a point, although I do not think it's in our nature only to be cruel. We can choose how we act. Most of us wouldn't eat our young, murdering and raping just because the police station was empty, but it must be understood that some humans would. Those who choose to act on their intelligence and beliefs on the value of the human person would have to band together to withstand the others, or perish.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The afterlife will certainly be a better option then the apocalypse. But the thing about the afterlife is, it will always be there waiting for you. Why be in a hurry to get there? I would definitely take my chances and go down swinging, rather then just give up at the get go. On a somewhat related note, anyone ever read Steven King's The Stand? I think that is (aside from the whole good versus evil/god devil/supernatural thing) one of the best SHTF scenarios as far as survivability chances. If you are one of the lucky few who are, through random fate of genetics immune to the world destroying super bug the world will be your mollusk! Everything simply sitting around waiting for you. No cannibals, no zombies, no radiation or scorched earth, and more then enough food and water to last a lifetime. Personally I'd make my way to Area 51 and see what was there to see...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by woodwardjnr

seen that one too on netflix worth watching

too short tho

Apparently a third series was planned but axed at the last moment. Not sure it might have coincided with the swine flu outbreak and maybe aunty(bbc nickname) didn't want to get the citizens all scared.

Normally I cant watch BBC drama stuff like doctor who and tourchwood as i find them too cheesy, but I thought Survivors was a pretty good effort .

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Would I eat people?
Probably...
Loads around here are already marinated and tender already I reckon. Babies..no..no..noooo. But I would merrily eat anyone who wanted to eat babies.
Be like some cannibalistic Mary Poppins.

Think of it this way..The world could go to hell in a hand cart, if you need to feast on others within reason I don't see a problem in doing so for a while, who knows when the sun comes back and the land is fit for purpose again.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

Fixer no you don't want that just make some Pysko Rad-Away and a super stimpack then you can survive any thing including getting double teamed by a deathclaw alpha male and deathclaw mother oh and take a fat man with you not being addicted will help you

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

thought dr who and torchwood was rather lacking myself

been watching alot of foreign stuff as of late.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I think the want for survival for me would depend on the type of apocalyptic scenario at hand.

If it were something like a nuclear holocaust, then hell no, I would not choose to die a slow torturous death getting sicker as each day goes by, nor would I want to watch my loved ones suffer through it either. The question is would I actually have the gonads to put a bullet to my brain (or my loved ones) if it came down to that ?

I enjoy watching the apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic/dystopian type genre movies because when it comes right down to it, they're really just about the psychology behind the human condition in survival mode.

Here's a list of movies some of you might like that hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet... some are pretty far fetched, some not so much :

The Day After (1983)
Testament (1983)
28 Days Later (2002)
The Handmaid's Tale (1990)
Logan's Run (1976)
Red Dawn (1984)
12 Monkeys (1995)
Blindness (2008)
Threads (1984)
Equilibrium (2002)
Reign of Fire (2002)
Soldier (1998)
1984 (1984)

Happy movie hunting !

edit on 20-9-2011 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by Nomad451

Thank you for that,I have edited it.
I am always thankful for corrections to my posts and threads.

No your right mate!

I actually made a thread exactly like this myself a long while ago. I love the book, Kodi is a great actor, I have worked with his father andy before. Great guy.

Bugger nuclear winter

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Threads. I first saw that when I was in High School and remember not being able to eat my lunch afterwards! It's a movie that pulls no punches when it comes to the after effects of nuclear war. The way it's presented made it feel more "real" than a lot of others.

Often missed these days. I was actually trying to remember what "that movie was I saw in school" not that long ago! Thanks for the reminder - I'm trying to hunt it down right now.

I'll watch it AFTER lunch this time!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I spent quite some time in the British Army and lived out in the feild for over two months and its damm hard even with all the gear. I have thought about this situation quite alot lately and have a little boy of 7 years old and i can not bear thinking about trying to survive with him in toe. The heart says do anything i can to survive but think i would be only dragging out out deaths. Where the brain says end it nice and quick and we will meet in the afterlife maybe. I am also seeing posts about the cannibalism in a survival situation all your morals need to go right out the window if you have choosen to try and survive then you must try anything to do it so if that means joining gangs killing other folk and eating them then so be it. There is no morality in survival
edit on 23-9-2011 by judus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Was the Postman a good movie? I always wanted to see it, just thought it fell into the waterworld category...You know, the overhyped, overblown, overbudget mess that was waterworld.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by timelesstales

better than waterworld not by much tho.

just finished watching tomorrow when the war began the other nite worth watching

austrailian movie

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

After you got past the thought of the meal, like, "Damn, I never knew the postman would taste so good....It would probably grow on ya
Where is our tenderloin anyways? Man, I hope it doesn't get to that in the future, I don't think I could do it...easily...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join