It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Road And The Realistic Post- Apocalyptic Future

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
But,in all seriousness ,a realistic post shtf world,where some people some how manage to survive,it has been a couple of years after,plants and animals are gone and dying,no sunlight,it's a year long winter or more because of the sun being blocked out.
All supplies have run out.
What I'm getting at is in the long run,the plan "C" ,plan 'A" and "B" has run out.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
i guess i should start saving my bottle caps and figure out how to make some fixer

Ahh but no unlimited cap hacks in the future.

Youl need a trainer.

I read the book first, the road, and for once the movie did it justice!!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

I agree with alot less babying the boy and more teaching how to survive.
It's what I do with my son now.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Can't leave out "A Boy and his Dog".

Don was pretty young then, think it came out in '75.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Oh,yes,that was a....Gonna say good one,,,,But it was

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
i've come to the conclusion that if anything of that nature happened and it was kill or be killed on the land then I would take on the Alexander the Great mindset and just go for gold. I would play the game.

Right now i'm comfortable and happy and I figure that if any external force ever broke that peace I would just drop my morality and humanity for the time being and attempt to rid the world of as many of the people causing the 'apocalypse' as I could (most likely becoming one of them in most definitions)

Not saying I want to or would want to, but if that's the reality being built around me, then I will play the game.
and win, if I feel necessary.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yes, I think that's what it was, he didn't teach him how to survive! But really I don't think i would want to live in a world like that

If I managed to live I would teach my kids (a boy and a girl) how to survive, and what to do/not to do to survive any situation. I wouldn't take any whining from them. I know it sounds harsh but in a world like that ....... you gotta be harsh!!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
ok really

i doubt too many people on here watched six string samurai

might interest some

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Taken the situation at hand,how prepared are you?
Plan A and B,I will be ok.
Plan C well,I will see how strong my family is and their will power.
But it must be up to how their leadership is able to handle it all.
And I guess that will be me.
From all I have learned on ATS,which is tremendous to say the least,
I hope I will not come to the decision of choosing death and giving up, versus choosing life and surviving.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
ok really

i doubt too many people on here watched six string samurai

might interest some

Really,Six String Samurai!
Doesn't compare to the road,dude.
Seen it,and it sucked.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Tipping point not tripping point

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

seen the road thought it sucked:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Thank you for that,I have edited it.
I am always thankful for corrections to my posts and threads.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

seen the road thought it sucked:

Thats cool,everyone has their opinion.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
depending on the event plus where you are located and how well stocked up will be the determining factor whether you even have a chance to survive or not. i though about all of this in great length for a long time covering every possible scenario and there are ways and possibilities to survive. the most important thing is to just prepare and be aware of the world around you...not live in a flood plain, have a secure underground tornado shelter, have a hazmat suit and gas masks with filters, live in a single level re-enforced concrete earth contact with good runnoff and proper waterproofing, always stay close to your life support, and just live life to its fullest one day at a time, and dont sweat the small stuff

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
depending on the event plus where you are located and how well stocked up will be the determining factor whether you even have a chance to survive or not. i though about all of this in great length for a long time covering every possible scenario and there are ways and possibilities to survive. the most important thing is to just prepare and be aware of the world around you...not live in a flood plain, have a secure underground tornado shelter, have a hazmat suit and gas masks with filters, live in a single level re-enforced concrete earth contact with good runnoff and proper waterproofing, always stay close to your life support, and just live life to its fullest one day at a time, and dont sweat the small stuff

Very good advice.
Not all of us have that fore-thought or privileged.
I especially like,and you see it in my signature,Live you life to it's fullest,and take it one day at a time.

Of course mine is,life is short nothing you can do about it,so enjoy it while you can and make the most of it.
Peace
edit on 19-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
all though these movies don't go to surviving long term after a post-apocalyptic event.
i think that the these two stand out as the best. i believe that they show how many people
will behave facing what they believe to be the end of their lives and the end of mankind.

the first is the original
On the Beach

Staring gregory peck, ava gardener, fred astaire. i saw this movie when i was very young and it stayed with me for many years.

and the remake, which i think was well done for a remake.
On The Beach

staring, armand assante, rachel ward, byan brown

and this one

Children Of Men

staring, clive owen, julianne moore, michael caine.

there's the one scene where there is a fire fight in the apt building, and the solders are about to over run the resistance, and they hear and see the baby. and everybody just stops. well if you haven't seen it, i recommend you do. pretty good picture show.

point is in all three of these movies, it show mankind pulling together to do what they can to survive.
which is what i think will happen. sure there will be a free for all right after the event, but i think that in the end
those that survive and are the " the good guys" will pull together and rebuild.

edit on 19-9-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
It was a great book and a great movie.
I would have stayed in the bomb shelter but I can understand the guy trying to find somewhere safe for his son before he died.

The point of not staying in the well-stocked bomb shelter was telegraphed to us when the man turned on the (hidden) power source and the lights immediately failed. The food meant "wealth" in that situation and not only that, but survival. But the point of the movie was that mere survival was not enough.

The "problem" was that the woman's selfish act presented the man with an unresolvable dilemma, the well-being of the boy, and for all we know, the preservation or ending of humanity on either the micro or macro level..

There must always remain a searching--as fruitless as it may be, a hope. That is the core of being human.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The BBC did a series called survivors a couple of years ago. It was about a pandemic killing about 90% of the worlds population. For the BBC it was a pretty good series and brings up quite a few potential problems for would be survivors.

Worth a watch if you have time.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I don't have any qualms about eating people, so i guess i would be in the group stocking up my basement with long pork. It's not my prefered route but it beats the hell out of being hungry.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join