It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Road And The Realistic Post- Apocalyptic Future

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
i would recommend reading "world made by hand" by james h. knunstler , who also wrote "the long emergency"
regarding peak oil.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I watched the move, The Road 6 or so months ago. It was so-real and striking. I have re evaluated how a true SHTF scenerio would entail because of this movie. I know it is JUST a movie however after watching it a few times and grasping the fact there is no part of the movie that is not possible and infact probability is higher.
Good thread hope people see inside the meaning of this movie..peace out

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I read the book then watched the last half of the movie. Both depressed me. I really don't know if I could mentally live in a grey world. The Road was so bleak, I really think I would become crazy without the sun.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
i liked this movie, but ALOT of other people think it sucks, why do people hate post-apocalyptic films, waterworld/the postman mad max i hear alot of mainstream whinning about these movies, is it just me?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
If it means keeping myself and my family alive, I'm gonna have to go with the "long pig" option.
Wouldn't think twice about it.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna

Maybe this is wrong, but I was rooting for that kid to get killed the whole movie.
I just couldn't take his whining anymore. Shut up kid!!

you are one cold S.O.B. its a kid. Since you've said that, I guess I know who I'm rooting for to die now!!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I only watched the movie. My impression of the "Fire within" was something that could only exist for those who have not eaten human flesh.

I find this poignant and yet there are many who have had to eat human flesh to survive; do they not possess the "fire" or spark within them that creates their Divinity with the Source?

Since I have never killed a man I most likely believe this same principle applies; perhaps the Divine Grace resides in the mind if we can remain innocent in our actions. A meat eater doesn't kill its meat primarily in today's world, so a disassociation is created.

Maybe in the real post apocalyptic world there will be food-cubes and we shouldn't ask where the cubes came from!
edit on 9/19/2011 by Greensage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

seen that one too on netflix worth watching

too short tho

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Stocking up on food is a great idea & I'd always encourage people to do that.

But in a truly global catastrophe, such as a nuclear war, I'd rather die than prolong the agony. My main problem would be the lack of information ... how global was this event ? Is there any chance of rescue, food or medical supplies etc ?

Although I'm built like an Abrams tank I'm a bit of a fatalist too, I'm not a fighter. I wouldn't instinctively roll over, I'd fight my corner until the despair just got too much to bear.

And then I'd kill myself.

So should we stock up on something with which to kill ourselves too ? Pentobarbital, perhaps ? For when all hope is lost ?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by XelNaga
i guess i should start saving my bottle caps and figure out how to make some fixer

Really don't get what you are going with that.

ive never seen it, might have to rent it out or look it up online sometime. and hes reffering to a game called fall out, set in the same sort of situation.

strangely enough, ive always thought about what id do in case of an apocalypse and although i know id try to survive and keep my family alive for as long s possible i dont know how far id be able to get

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Soilent Green...Charleston Heston.

Well, I live in Florida and we routinely stock up on supplies and water for Hurricane season...but I don't know anyone who has the resources or the space to build up supplies for the years that it would take, for civilization to return.

The mobs and the armed gangs would probably be the only ones truly surviving, and at what cost to humanity for the violent and the morally vacant to survive while the meek and the just slowly die off.

Not sure the world would be a place I would want to be in when "Civilization" returned.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Having read it a half a dozen times, I enjoyed the book very much for what it was, but it was not primarily a PAW book. Think about it, 10 years with no fresh vegetation and we would all be dead from scurvy.

The Road is about humanity and how some can keep it alive in the face of all obstacles and the bond between a father and his son. Everything else about the book is secondary to those two themes.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Hi kdog...I've seen this movie several times. The first time I was in awe of the realistic brutality it portrayed and the cannibalism scenes were worse than a horror flick. That part was difficult to watch. I did understand the father's intense love and need to protect his son and understood that he was surviving to keep his son alive. I would do the same. If I were alone? I'm not so sure. I think the human spirit and will to survive is so deep and strong in us as has been shown throughout history by survivors of torture, prison camps, etc. that maybe we don't have a choice, maybe we just do.

And Viggo was amazing in this, IMHO...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
There has been too much violence.
Too much pain.
But I have an honorable compromise.

Just walk away.

Give me your pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives.

Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands.

Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. - The Lord Humungus, the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Is it worth trying to live in a post-apocalyptic hell? Some poster said it best on an earlier thread

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?
To die, to sleep, No more;
and by a sleep to say we end The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation Devoutly to be wished.

And a little later in the same post:

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment,
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.
Soft you now, The fair Ophelia!
Nymph, in thy orisons Be all my sins remembered

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Is it worth trying to live in a post-apocalyptic hell? Some poster said it best on an earlier thread

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?
To die, to sleep, No more;
and by a sleep to say we end The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation Devoutly to be wished.

And a little later in the same post:

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment,
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.
Soft you now, The fair Ophelia!
Nymph, in thy orisons Be all my sins remembered

Very well said!

And with that I might as throw a little Dylan your way::::::

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rage at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right, Because their words had forked no lightning they Do not go gentle into that good night. Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay, Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, Do not go gentle into that good night. Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay, Rage, rage against the dying of the light. And you, my father, there on the sad height, Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray. Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

We all have choices we have to make,if and when the time comes.
I,personally choose to try to save humanity,by making sure my children will survive.
But if all hope is lost for humanity,then maybe it's not worth saving.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Hi queen,if that was me,in that situation,I would do my best to save my children and never give up hope for a future for them.Even if I was alone,I would keep going til I could no longer.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Hope is never lost. People lose it, but hope itself, as a quality in and of itself, isn't lost, any more than justice or goodness is lost.

Sometimes an individual will decide that hope is no longer worth the investment of life-energy, in terms of the probable future reward.

I teach my children that the battle is not only about victory---it's about who I am going to be, what kind of person I will be. And sometimes defeat for the right reason is better than victory for the wrong ones.

It's why some units never surrender, even when given the opportunity.

Just as there are some ideals worth dying for, there other ideals worth living for, even when it means carrying onward when existence seems bleak or even futile.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This is the scariest/hardest part of the movie to watch, at least I thought so. Would I be capable of this? I like to think no, not ever.

edit on 19-9-2011 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by XelNaga
i guess i should start saving my bottle caps and figure out how to make some fixer

Really don't get what you are going with that.

You need to play the video game "Fallout"

A book I read when very young is called "Z for Zachariah"

en.wikipedia.org...

It is geared towards the younger reader (as I was when I first read it), however I found it in a second-hand book store the other day and decided to buy it for a re-read (for nostalgic reasons!).

It's definitely one of those books that would introduce some scary concepts to a young reader. Well worth grabbing if you can find it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join