It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice going forward as my mom was just diagnosed with esophageal cancer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

All I can say, OP is that I wish you and your family the best. Look into your doctors and try to get the best care possible. Encourage her to have a good attitude and outlook, as your mental state has a lot to do with how your body responds to treatment. Spend lots of time together, too.

I lost my dad to esophageal cancer in march. it's been really, really tough.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about your mother. I watched my mother die from cancer and the only advice i have for you is to spend as much time with her as you can.

Thats it thats all i have. You can try to find a cure ( i have been looking for 11 years) and you will find promising results but in the end the only thing that matters is spending time with her.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Another thing I would like to add to your list of expectations is to be prepared for some loved ones to start to shy away from your Mother. I know that is a terrible thing to say but I witnessed it first hand. People have a hard time dealing with a serious illness, especially if it becomes terminal. They feel ackward...kinda like at a funeral. You don't know the right thing to say and you end up feeling stupid because you couldn't find the right words. Well, there are no "right" words...it is your presence that is most important during an illness and at a funeral. But because some folks struggle with thinking they must not talk about trivial things to the sick person, they opt to stay away. I also think they don't want to deal with the fact that their loved one is very ill...as if they ignore her, the sickness will go away.

Also expect this same behavior towards yourself and immediate family members. People might be afraid you'll talk about your Mom's illness and that makes them uncomfortable. And the flip side of that is that some people will quiz you every time they see you, "How's your Mom" and that disturbed me more than the shunning. I did not like to talk about it and even though I know the people meant well, it upset me. I learned from my experience to not interrogate folks with a terminally ill loved one unless they bring it up first. That signals to me they are comfortable talking about it, maybe need to talk about it.

As with everything, we all handle situations differently. I hope for the best for you and your family. You can't see it now but you will come out of this situation a much stronger person, regardless of the outcome

ETA: I should add that there will be people who step up and want to help you and your Mom as well. Sometimes the most unexpected person could be the one you can rely on the most. As with a disaster, illness can also bring out the best in people, who just want to help in any way they can. I guess I was just trying to prepare you for the negatives rather than the positives. Sorry
edit on 16-9-2011 by megabogie because: forgot something

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
LISTEN TO ME PLEASE....

I was a CEO for a large multi-specialty clinic near Seattle, which also offered oncology and chemotherapy. Let me tell you the truth behind it all......

Chemotherapy is a mix of medications that specific individual oncologist believes to work. The oncologist does not have to follow current clinically proven methods when mixing meds in this "chemo cocktail" bag. When I found this out, I was shocked! The absolute best place to seek oncology/chemo care is Seattle Cancer Care Alliance & Cancer Treatment Centers of America. The reason is they only use the most recent, clinically proven medications and clinical guidelines to treat cancer. They take a collaborative approach to their treatment, so you are not putting your mother's life in one doctor who is using "old school" meds/approach.

I hope you find a talented, caring team of doctors to help your mother!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

My friend my mother has many illnesses due to the genetic blood mixing in our family. I don't want to install false hope or anything but I will share how she overcomes the various illnesses she has, from copd -Lupus- muscle disease- 2 forms of sickle cell (from Greek and Africana) lung issues- thyroid cancer and angina issues.. Her doctors were telling here when I was very young she would not survive too long that was approx 25 or more years ago back then me and my siblings would cry at the thought of losing her. Again not sending false hope vibes just sharing.

She has been the type not to let her illnesses get her down into feeling like she is sick and nothing else to concentrate on. Instead she always keeps a positive attitude even after coding 8 times yes 8 she still remains positive and DEEP COMPASSION AND LOVE FOR GOD does not blame the for her ills. MY SIBLINGS AND I ALWAYS DO OUR BEST TO KEEP HER SURROUNDED WITH LOVE AND SUPPORT ENERGY. And we don't let the fact that she is ill drive our energies down because she remains so in tune with up above (faith) and we know if she leaves un now she will be in good hands. By us remaining as strong and positive as we can be, its like we share our REAL energy with her. She does have very bad days when she has to go into hospitals for some time but she recovers after a few days. And next thing you know she is walking 2 miles or so give or take when we ask her not too smh such the rebel at times
. Her SPIRIT doesn't get low she just accepts her illnesses and keeps going I LOVE HER SO MUCH FOR TEACHING ME TO BE SO STRONG LIKE THAT (NO MATTER HOW HARD THINGS GET DON'T GIVE UP), and remember her always praying on her knees TO GOD as I was a child growing up. she passed onto us the ability to sense his presence and we see it with her ways she overcomes her illnesses with her positive attitude. So my friend sorry for the deep writing of personal, but DO TRY AND REMAIN AS POSITIVE AS YOU CAN BE AND ENCOURAGE HER TO BE AS WELL. If you see her down and it bothers you don't send the vibes that you are worried use all that energy space where she would sense your sad, for positive hopeful outcomes with her overcoming her illness. I pray for your family and you to be strong and to not fear. GOD is always there even if some don't think the is real. I wish you the best GOOD LUCK.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Funny how a website like this brags about denying ignorance, but as soon as it's something real, the sheep run back to their corporate masters. Stay strong. Do the research, and follow your own mind.

Chemotherapy only works in a small minority of the population:

Chemotherapy Ineffective Mesothelioma Treatment

The study found that chemotherapy not only did not offer any improvement among mesothelioma patients but was found to have no significant impact whatsoever on survival rate of victims.

asbestoscleanup.org...

An important paper has been published in the Australian journal Clinical Oncology. This meta-analysis, entitled "The Contribution of Cytotoxic Chemotherapy to 5-year Survival in Adult Malignancies" set out to accurately quantify and assess the actual benefit conferred by chemotherapy in the treatment of adults with the commonest types of cancer. Although the paper has attracted some attention in Australia, the native country of the paper's authors, it has been greeted with complete silence on this side of the world.

All three of the paper's authors are oncologists. Lead author Associate Professor Graeme Morgan is a radiation oncologist at Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney; Professor Robyn Ward is a medical oncologist at University of New South Wales/St. Vincent's Hospital. The third author, Dr. Michael Barton, is a radiation oncologist and a member of the Collaboration for Cancer Outcomes Research and Evaluation, Liverpool Health Service, Sydney. Prof. Ward is also a member of the Therapeutic Goods Authority of the Australian Federal Department of Health and Aging, the official body that advises the Australian government on the suitability and efficacy of drugs to be listed on the national Pharmaceutical Benefits Schedule (PBS) — roughly the equivalent of the US Food and Drug Administration.

Their meticulous study was based on an analysis of the results of all the randomized, controlled clinical trials (RCTs) performed in Australia and the US that reported a statistically significant increase in 5-year survival due to the use of chemotherapy in adult malignancies. Survival data were drawn from the Australian cancer registries and the US National Cancer Institute's Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) registry spanning the period January 1990 until January 2004.

Wherever data were uncertain, the authors deliberately erred on the side of over-estimating the benefit of chemotherapy. Even so, the study concluded that overall, chemotherapy contributes just over 2 percent to improved survival in cancer patients.

www.icnr.com...

Chemo doesn't work because chemo destroys all fast-growing cells, including immune system and digestive system, as well as cancer cells. Now I ask you, how are you suppose to be healthy if you can't fight off infections and give nutrition to your body? Answer: YOU CAN'T!!! Not only that, but chemo can actually cause cancer, and in many cases what doctors are calling metastasis is actually the chemo causing cancer. Think about it.

Now there are several theories on cancer, and what causes it. I suggest you do a multi-pronged attack:

1. Budwig diet of cottage cheese and flax seed. Eat 8 servings a day.

2. Alkalize or die! we live in an acidic environment. the body is meant to exist in an alkaline environment, but due to stress, pollution, low oxygen environment, we are now acidic which depletes our immune system, stresses our body and mind, and provides a proper breeding ground for parasites (bacteria, fungus, yeast, etc). So start alkalizing by eating and drinking as much raw fruits and vegetables as possible, at least 40 oz/day, but preferably 60 oz. Buy a juicer, juice carrots, greens such as spinach, parsley, cilantro, grapes and their seeds. BE SURE TO BUY ORGANIC. And cut out the sugars, artificial preservatives, additivies, and meats. Later on, she can eat organic meats, after say about 6 mths down the road, she can eat a diet of 20% meat.

3. Take b17/laetrile/apricot seeds. Start off small and slowly progress. If you encounter nausea, dizziness, lack of clarity of the mind, up set stomach, back off.

4. Support the immune system with supplements. Garlic extract, echinacea, inositol/ip6, oregano oil, vitamin c, vitamin d, selenium, etc.

5. take a really good multi-vitamin, something on the more expensive side, that includes at least 100 mcg of selenium and includes probiotics and enzymes. Don't get the cheap ones..

6. Exercise, preferably with 6 liters/hr of oxygen, but walking in a wooded forest will work as well.

7. Start taking oleander soup or rose laurel opc. There's too much information to put down here, but read about it, familiarize yourself iwth it, and start taking it!

8. Get a rife machine or zapper or another frequency generator and become familiar iwth it and learn to us

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Here are some documentaries to help you

world without cancer: story about b17/laetrile
www.youtube.com...

cancer cures: alternatives in cancer medicine

www.youtube.com...

(Just to let you know, the burzinski clinic is really expensive--800 bucks just for the initial consultation, and over 100k for the entire treatment). I personally think he will be part of the next line of centralized cancer treatment since burzinski holds most, if not all, of the patents for his treatment.

cancer is serious business.

www.youtube.com...

baking soda and molasses cure (I'd use it as part of the alkalizing diet)

www.youtube.com...

and here is an invaluable website for you

cancertutor.org...

edit on 16-9-2011 by gameoverforyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I just want to say because I was reading this thread and saw a few people discouraging kemo, that kemo DOES work a lot of the time. My mom's tumor shrunk to almost 1/10th its size and died because of the kemo. In fact, once her treatments were started, the color came back in her hair and she got stronger fast because the cancer was eating her alive and was way worse than the kemo.

I guess she was one of the lucky ones, but I know several cancer survivors, all took kemo. I don't know of anyone personally who had cancer and did not do kemo who lived cancer free.

Just my own thoughts on kemo.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hey,

Sorry to hear that about your mom. I don't have any wacky remedies like some members. Though I would highly recommend Destiny of a Soul by michael newton, that will help the mental side of things big time. I believe diseases like cancer are here for a reason and if it wasn't cancer it would be something else. I have experienced things you couldn't imagine and will never see on this earth, but will see one day(try so say that without sounding big headed or weird).

The planet is one little room with a set of rules we wanted to play by...for now. I cant overstate how small this existence is, however that doesn't mean its not important. Love as hard and much as you can, deal with the bad times with an honest perspective. And always look for the funny side of things, an you will be fine in whatever. Happy thoughts and a hug for mammy.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Haven't read all the comments in here, but I'm quite sure that the following mega thread hasnt's been mentioned yet, it a compilation of all known cancer cures, from medicine to vegetables/fruits, everything is in there:

Cancer is DEAD

I strongly recommend you to look over the information, I haven't found anything comparable on the internet.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by amongus

My heart and prayers go out to you and your mother. After I read your thread......what came to my mind first was...Micheal Douglas.....he did have throat cancer...and he was at a high stage of it too when he found out...and he did recover....so there is hope. I suggest doing some research about what treatments and things he did during his time of cancer treatments and recovery.

I will (of course) do some research too. I will let you know what I find.

I just sent to you a (U2U)......with some info. hope it helps!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
A must watch for cancer patients.

Remember this thread?

Doctor Cures Cancer – Gets Charged By The FDA 5 Different Times For Regulation Violations
edit on 16-9-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

A couple years ago, my own mother was diagnosed with a Small Round Blue Cell Sarcoma (which primarily affects teenage boys!) that attacked aggressively, and only had a less than 20% survival rate. After over a year of intense chemo, more time in radiation, followed by the surgery to remove her thigh muscle, and a bone marrow transplant (herself being the donor), she is now 2 years cancer free, and a 1 year bone marrow survivor! Her doctors say she is a walking miracle, and there has even been papers written and published in medical journals about her. The doctors at Loyola Cancer Center near Chicago, Illinois saved her life.

The most important thing you can do for her, is be there. Listen. But also, take care of yourself. There are no expiration dates, and each day is truly a gift for any of us. You will notice a lot of her friends, maybe some of yours, "disappear" during treatment. I don't think they can handle seeing what cancer does. Don't take it personally. You both have my prayers. Good luck, and God bless.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I am sorry to hear about your mother. Having lost a close family member to cancer, unnecessarily, 10 years ago I swore I would never be caught so unprepared again. So I’ve been studying this subject ever since. Here are the steps I would take if I were you:

1. Question EVERYTHING the doctors tell you. Be aware that their FIRST interest is in protecting their butts no matter how good your doctor is. Your mother’s health ranks somewhere after that.

2. Surgery, chemo and radiation treatments do have their place. But rarely. Be very careful believing everything mainstream medicine tells you.

3. As someone said earlier, your mother MUST be involved in the research of what to do next. She must learn the details of what her options are and understand the risks involved with each of the different therapies. She also must read some of the many, many success stories out there. You cannot fight this without her being psychologically strong and feel like she is actively involved in fighting it. Reading other people's success stories will give her hope. Plus, reducing her stress level is key because stress itself causes acidity in the body. Often people with cancer don’t live simply because they couldn’t handle the trauma inflicted upon them by receiving a “possible death sentence”. Getting a cancer diagnosis is no less traumatic than being confronted by a firing squad and standing there waiting for them to pull the trigger. She must feel like she is actively fighting back emotionally. A good book to help you find your way through the maze of the emotional trauma she’s going through right now is “Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma”.

3. After 10 years of researching, both on and off-line, I agree with one of the above posters that the best resource I have found for dealing with cancer is www.cancertutor.com.... It is a huge website chock full of very valuable information. If you ask the owner he will help set you up with an experienced mentor who will work directly with you for a nominal fee. (The mentor gets the fee, not the site owner.) The cost is usually no more than a one-time fee of $200 or less. This is key because you just don’t have the time to do all the research required yourself. Every situation is different. Some of the treatments suggested by others here are great in some instances. But some of them will cause the tumor to swell as its being killed off and that may not be a good option for your mother if it will block her esophagus. It’s critical that you get experienced help.

There is lots more to say but this is getting pretty long and I am sure you're already overwhelmed. One last thing though. Part of trying to understand cancer is learning about cellular respiration. There’s lots on the cancertutor.com website regarding it but it might be well worth your time to watch some of the Khan Academy videos that do a really great job of teaching about it so you can understand what you’re reading. They are only 10 or 15 minutes each. The ones I’d start with are:
Intro to Cellular Respiration
Glycolysis
Kreb/Citric Acid Cycle
Electron Transport Chain
Oxidation and Reduction in Cellular Respiration
The reason these are so important to understand is because they will help you ward off cachexia since more people die from either it, or the treatments administered, than from the cancer itself.

Hth,
TFN

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

DMSO, Dimethylsulfoxide is a liniment for horses used for joint pain, and can be bought at some hardware stores (Ace Hardware in my area). It costs about four dollars for a quart. Care needs to be used when handling it though; it is not toxic in and of itself, but many chemicals are solvent with it, and will be taken into the bloodstream with the liniment. You should have clean hands, with no other medications/chemicals on them when administering. The bottle should be stored away from other chemicals as well, and definitely out of reach of children. I buy it for my horses, and have never used it on a human before, but I'm told it's safe in an uncontaminated state. You should find out more before using it. Any store that sells supplies for horses should also have it, but the price could be different.
One of the brand names is DOMOSO. That might help you find it...
edit on 9/16/2011 by visualmiscreant because: added brand name

Also, I have never heard of this being used to treat cancer patients; just replying to anumohi...
edit on 9/16/2011 by visualmiscreant because: clarification

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
My mother was just diagnosed with esophageal cancer this monday. I have not heard of too many success stories for recovery, but since this is ATS I know members can share much needed advice with me as I look to help with her treatments.

We live outside of Seattle and she just had a CT scan along with bloodwork to determine the stage of the cancer. I know the tumor is 4cm, but this is all we know as of now. She is scheduled to have more tests this coming week.

Can anyone provide advice as to how to combat this cancer both traditionally and/or with alternative methods?

Id be greatful for any advice.

Thank you

Maybe try the Burzynski clinic in california? Some of his stuff seems legit, but who really knows? He could be a quack. Personally your mom should find Jesus Christ if she isnt saved and prepare to meet him. I'm not being brutal or being a smart ass, i'm just saying cancer is bad juju.

My grandad died from stomach cancer when i was 11. Well technically it wasnt the cancer that killed him, the doctors misdiagnosed him with testicular cancer and castrated him, only to find out later it was stomach cancer, so they put him on chemo and overdosed him on chemo and the radiation destroyed his esophagus so he starved to death.

If your mom accepts Christ as Lord and savior she has no need to fear death for she will be resurrected at the end of the tribulation that we are just beginning to enter into.

There are new experiments being done with using a genetically engineered HIV virus to us eit to eat cancer cells i heard about in the news recently. There was a guy that hade stage 4 leukemia and survived using an engineered HIV virus to eat his 2 pound tumor. Unfortunately big pharma makes more money hawking half assed chemo treatments than giving people the cure they already have created.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
In all do respect, please stay away from untried/unproven/hyped up therapies. Unless your family member is taking part in a clinical trial of something new... and is being treated by professionals.

There are plenty of people who make some wild assertions about cancer cures, but in all reality, it is a tough thing to fight and there isn't anything out there that will make it magically go away (yet).

Please use this time to appreciate your relationship with your family member and offer the best support you can.

Regards,

B

I agree. As a cancer survivor myself, I'd say go with the clinical therapy, but use complimentary means as well...if the doctor approves. Such measures might just make the standard treatments less onerous for your mother. Talk to a naturopath about this. But in spite of all the advice you'll get to the contrary, only a fool spurns modern treatments for advice from 'some guy on the internet'.

Best of luck to you both, and please let us know how things go. Cancer can be beaten!

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
My current wife has survived cancer four times in her 45 years. I'm being very serious when I agree with other posters about prayer being a great help. Prayer alone (as far as we know), has healed her from ovarian cancer and a tumor at the base of her skull. There was an episode on Oprah, where prayer was put to the test using single-cell animals (amoeba or something). Both were introduced to a virus or something of that nature, and one was prayed for; the other was not. The one that was prayed for got better; the other did not. They chose the single-cell animals to rule out outside interference such as psychological influence by the one being prayed for. This experiment has also been written about in a few books, and that is where I found it. (They cited the Oprah Show). I don't recall the the name of the physician who performed the experiment. You might try googling it though. Best of luck...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
check cancer tutor,,,,,,,great new book outsmart your cancer,,,,, google bill henderson,,,,,,,,i found tons of used cancer books at used book store,,, buying new will bankrupt you

most important,,,,,,,,,, you can be her advocate,,, her ears,,,, her research team,,,,,,,,, dealing with diagnosis and sickness is daunting. my grandmother was clueless,,,, and not as informed,,, confused by technical terms etc

i noticed the doctors will strong arm you,,, overtalk you,,,,, and demand immediate action

never make a quick decision,,,,,,,you have time,,,,,,,, a billion cancer cells is the size of a pencil tip,,, so it's been growing a long time,,,, two weeks is not going to make a difference

we noticed when doctors realize your informed, knowledgeable and did your homework,,,,,,,,, there whole demeanor and what they said changed,,,,,,,,, they stopped bs-ing us with the normal spiel,,, her diagnose got worse,,, outcomes less desirable and more facts and drawbacks came out,,,,,, which i want to know.....tells us the truth,,, i don't want to be bull#ted
they had to admit
chemo isn't all that great,,,,, yes it causes secondary cancer,,,,,,, if you live 5 years 1 day and die you go in the books as cured,,,,, you die of pneumonia as a result of chemo,,,,, you go in the books a a pneumonia death not cancer etc
of course doctors have ego's and you must do a tap dance to protect there precious ego's and years of schooling ,, which i think seemed a bit of brainwashing
my gram's doctor almost fell out the chair when he learned i knew he got $3500,00 from glaxo and 2800.00 from pfizer for 1 day speaking engagements-

i believe some alt methods work,,,, but really do your homework,,,,,,,, i was just reading howe b-17 was discredited,,, even though the theory behind it working seems feasible

but just like chemo heals some,,, and some die,,,,,,,,,,,, alt methods haverthat same chance too

i don;'t think just taking cayenne pepper and tumeric will cure cancer

supplements and vitamin companies use propoganda/advertising as well

if you go the traditional route be sure to get.....actually regardless get dr. russel blaylocks,,Natural Strategies for Cancer Patients

great info such as everyone sells vit e-acetate,,, well your body can't absorb acetate,,, you need vit e succinate

you need vit c as ascorbate acetate not ascorbic acid,,,,,,,,,,,and so many other things that can enhance and protect you from surgery/rad/chemo,,,,,,,,,of the 30 books i devoured,,, this was the most helpful and practical

but above all ,,,, be there,,,, love her,,,, support her,,,,,,,,, and realize there's good days and bad days,,,, and somtimes you have more fight than the patient
and sometimes doing nothing and respecting wishes is the best you can do,,,,,, my father had lung cancer and we demanded he try everything to cure him,,,,, at that time i was clueless of what chemo and rad were and the real numbers etc
the man suffered a longer more miserable death that in hindsight wasn't worth it and done for us
i regret being uninformed and the choices we made
so devour all info both traditional and alternative so you have no regrets

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
My uncle had a really agressive form of leukemia and they gave him 6 months.
He was rather well off and he went and got an African witch doctor for his 'alternative' treatment because Western medicine told him he was going to die and nothing really could be done.
He was white but researching shamans he found this guy - anyway, so he goes to see him and gets this recipe for treatment. It was powdered herbs and he put it in carrot juice, which he juiced fresh every day.

Anyway, that cancer went into remission on it's own.

20 years later he got a really agressive cancer again - but when he tried to find the old man, he had died. He used the carrot juice but didn't know what to put it. He did live much longer than they gave him.

For what that's worth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join