It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Evolutionist's

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr
reply to post by malachi777

Funny you talk about gills are you aware human babies are sometimes born with gill slits. The explanation for this is simple every embryo has gill slits but they just dont close. Now ask your self why a human embryo would have gill slits in the first place.

Gill slits? You are kidding, right? Those slits you are describing have absolutely nothing to do with the respiratory system. Science of human biology have already shown those to be the beginning of facial features, ear canal and part of the endocrine system. Did you know as fetus's, we all begin with vagina's? I guess that makes us males really female.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mattyj

Let me help you understand a little secret about the Bible. I do not spend much time reading it, but what I do know is...it is a book of parables or stories to explain things in ways we would understand. For example, When you teach your children about the birds and the bees. The Bible was written in metaphors as well. For example, "And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven."

I can take this verse and interpret it as this, a chariot of fire could be a spaceship. They did not have words to describe things other that chariots were used in those times. Horses of fire? Well, those could be the engines used to transport the ship and horses were used to move things. The whirlwind? Well, that could be the thrust of the ship producing strong winds and they described it as a whirlwind.

Now you are going to say that I believe God in an alien. Well, no I do not believe that, but there is a possibility that these angels and many other descriptions of these entities could be using ships to get around. Angels with wings? Maybe beings in planes. We will never know and I am liberal enough to have an open mind on religion and evolution.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Funny you talk about gills are you aware human babies are sometimes born with gill slits. The explanation for this is simple every embryo has gill slits but they just dont close. Now ask your self why a human embryo would have gill slits in the first place.

Id hate to do this since I subscribe to the theory of evolution but the gill slits are nothing more then an embarrassment to the theory and needs to be weeded out. Those slits are called Pharayngeal Arches and will develope into important human structures.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420

Id hate to do this since I subscribe to the theory of evolution but the gill slits are nothing more then an embarrassment to the theory and needs to be weeded out. Those slits are called Pharayngeal Arches and will develope into important human structures.

Topherman420, thank you! I appreciate your input because I was waiting to be attacked again and being called a troll because I disagree with most, not all about the theory of evolution. I appreciate your input, you non-believer, you!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Just trying to show that evolutionary theory is not immune to incorrect information and that there are those (professional and otherwise) that will admit when something is wrong. Evolution is not dogma despite what many think and will admit to it.
The whole "gill" thing has been around for more then a hundred years and still pops up here and there, normally due to the fact that we do share similarities in fetal form with other lifeforms' fetal forms....however, the fetuses are still unique to the species they are growing in, shape similarities or not.

I have to say this thread has really relaxed itself. Nice to see everyone alot more civil now lol

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

That's beauty of science, it insures that claimes are checked for accuracy, it insures that mistakes are checked for accuracy and corrected as soon as possible.
It is the complete opposite of how the creationist rumore mill operates. Who's there to peer review these claimes? Who fact checks? These creation claims arent subject to control of scientific test.The only rules are, read something half understand it and make the rest up and assuming that your doing it to promote your religion- it is ok to lie.
Science does not rely on fear or threats to convince anyone of anything. The book of Romans chapter I? The threat that if you don't believe what I say you will burn in Hell.
There's an excuse for delusion and ignorance, but there is no excuse for deliberate falsification.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The existence of pharyngeal slits is more proof for evolution than the last 100 years of data gathered to strengthen the theory of gravity

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by malachi777

Gill slits? You are kidding, right? Those slits you are describing have absolutely nothing to do with the respiratory system. Science of human biology have already shown those to be the beginning of facial features, ear canal and part of the endocrine system. Did you know as fetus's, we all begin with vagina's? I guess that makes us males really female.

Did i say gills no i said gill slits so first learn to read. Second it has nothing to do with facial features what are you talking about??? first if you want to get scientific there called pharyngeal gill slits it most embryos they close when the lungs start to form. In certain cases they dont close. Now the only reason this was mentioned was as a joke about humans being born with gills so as they say keep up. And if your going to correct people try to be right yourself gender is decided at conception theres a gene on the Y chromosome that acts as a trigger for development of male sexual traits this gene is called the SRY gene.As far as fetuses they actually develop either male or female organs the genes decides which one develops. So your neither male or female because they havnt developed!!!!! So in other words males do not have a vagina because those organs develop into male organs.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by malachi777

Did i say gills no i said gill slits so first learn to read. Second it has nothing to do with facial features what are you talking about??? first if you want to get scientific there called pharyngeal gill slits it most embryos they close when the lungs start to form. In certain cases they dont close. Now the only reason this was mentioned was as a joke about humans being born with gills so as they say keep up. And if your going to correct people try to be right yourself gender is decided at conception theres a gene on the Y chromosome that acts as a trigger for development of male sexual traits this gene is called the SRY gene.As far as fetuses they actually develop either male or female organs the genes decides which one develops. So your neither male or female because they havnt developed!!!!! So in other words males do not have a vagina because those organs develop into male organs.

I am sorry but you are incorrect again. For about the first seven weeks, all begin as female since it takes no hormones to be female. Once that time passes, the Y chromosome kicks in and produces male hormones which causes the brain and genitalia to grow. The sex organs begin as ovaries but testosterone causes them to drop to become testicles. I studied the human anatomy for many years because I think it is an unbelievable, complex creation. There are literally millions of different things happening in the body, every second of every day to keep us alive. I am always at awe how different each organ is and how complex each are. I still can't figure out what the purpose of the appendix was. All I know is, I had mine removed three years ago and I am fine.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

The embryo is neither male of female until the organs grow they don't start out as ovaries. Before they start to develop there whats called a genital tuber. You know theres a joke in there some where. If anything the organ in early stage is a combination of both but by no means is it a vagina or a penis by any stretch of the imagination.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
No to be rude Malachi777 but that whole Chariot of fire reminded me of Star Trek V, I think... the one where 'god' needs the enterprise to leave the planet.

Kirk: What does God need with a starship?
McCoy: Jim, what are you doing?
Kirk: I'm asking a question.
"God": Who is this creature?
Kirk: Who am I? Don't you know? Aren't you God?
Sybok: He has his doubts.
"God": You doubt me?
Kirk: I seek proof.
McCoy: Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID!
"God": Then here is the proof you seek.
[Hits Kirk with lightning]
Kirk: Why is God angry?
Sybok: Why? Why have you done this to my friend?
"God": He doubts me.
Spock: You have not answered his question. What does God need with a starship?
"God": [hits Spock with lightning; then addresses McCoy] Do you doubt me?
McCoy: I doubt any God who inflicts pain for his own pleasure.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

The embryo is neither male of female until the organs grow they don't start out as ovaries. Before they start to develop there whats called a genital tuber. You know theres a joke in there some where. If anything the organ in early stage is a combination of both but by no means is it a vagina or a penis by any stretch of the imagination.

This is true as well. Sex is determined at conception and these "gonads" of sorts are able to become testes or ovaries. Kind of weird and complicated but I found an article that explains it well:

Sex Determination

This really makes me wonder about those who say they feel like they arent the right sex, this would kind of explain it....but thats a whole other topic lol.

I believe there is a frog species that can change sex on need of the environment, and I wonder if this is in any relation? Ill have to find out more...
edit on 18-9-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

Here we go.....had no idea that more then frogs did the change but apparently theres lots: Gender Jumping. Very odd similarities between the human race and various species its hard to imagine that we didn't all come from the same origins at one point and have really inhabited this planet with some amazing species.
edit on 18-9-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well, it did make me smile.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

I can change me sex too under certain circumstances. Last Wednesday, I visited my urologist to figure out what is wrong with my prostate. When he proceeded to do a digital prostate exam, I screamed like a little girl! When he pulled out his finger, I looked down and my," you know what" disappeared. Oh boy, did that hurt!!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I apologize if that statement offended anyone. I have been extremely nervous about the issue I am dealing with medically. I always try to make myself feel better by joking. Feel free to have it deleted, especially since it is off topic. What am I saying, we have made this thread into a multitopic thread anyway.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Holy crap! 45 pages of debate on this? I read through page 13 and couldn't take it anymore. Why does this debate always turn into a God vs no God debate? If you express a belief in God you're considered an idiot that has no interest in science. If you have a belief in science you're considered a heathen.....all so stupid. I'm a Christian and I've never been satisfied with the Biblical account of creation. Having said that, I believe there was a divine creator. That's just what I think. I don't expect everyone on this planet to agree with me. I don't think dinosaurs were just big dogs, like some Christians have said, nor do I necessarily believe that man evolved from apes. I DO think that man evolved over a long time to changes in environment/diet whatever. What difference does it all make in the end? It's interesting to see new discoveries of early humans and certainly dinosaurs, but I'm not sure that any of those discoveries disproves God or a intelligent creator. I believe in the big bang theory simply because I think it's about as much of a "God thing" as there could be. God said....and there was a big bang! Whatever. Why does it matter? BOTH sides of the story are theories because neither one of them can be reproduced or re-created.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yes. I agree with all of your post.

It appears it is impossible to debate evolution here without including some god or creator when evolution has nothing to do with how life started.

I too believe the big bang theory is science trying to describe god as it was the creative force that resulted in us.

Same as you, the world/universe and everything amazes me and the mysteries add further spice.

Where I differ from you is I am a faithless heathen and have no need for a god.

Again like you I see no reason why I should belittle you for holding a belief that I do not and vice versa.

Oh well maybe the next thread then.
edit on 19-9-2011 by colin42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by Chrysalis

But they are still plants. I'm not denying things can adapt to there environment through generational adaptation, but this is purely micro-evolution. There is really no proof of Macro-evolution where one species becomes another species a new (KIND).

Ah, now I see what your issue is, that is not how evolution works. Creatures do not evolve to a different kind, they just advance and refine the kind they are. They adapt and evolve to better fit the ecological niche they are in.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
"god made the earth in 6 days and on the seventh he rested" or some such drivel...then why a fossils dated at millions of years old..instead of the few thousand years..seeing as how man and dinosaur didn't coexist..i believe epicurus said it best
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gamesmaster63

Ah, now I see what your issue is, that is not how evolution works. Creatures do not evolve to a different kind, they just advance and refine the kind they are. They adapt and evolve to better fit the ecological niche they are in.

This KIND word comes up often in the creationist new bag of tricks, an offshoot of the common designs/common designer pseudo science failures. It's all part of new intelligent design tactics, but is still nothing but creationism, I.E monotheistic religion.

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join