It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading man jailed for dead girl 'trolling' insults

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4b07c6acca0.jpg[/atsimg]

A Berkshire man has been jailed for posting abusive messages online about a schoolgirl after she committed suicide. Sean Duffy, 25, of Reading, was handed an 18-week sentence for posts on social networking sites about Worcestershire teenager Natasha MacBryde. He previously pleaded guilty at Reading Magistrates' Court to sending indecent or offensive communications. Police said Duffy also posted abuse about dead teenagers in Northumberland, Gloucestershire and Staffordshire. Duffy, of Grovelands Road, admitted two offences of "trolling" a term used to describe the trend of anonymously seeking to provoke outrage by posting insults and abuse online.

I think most everyone will agree that this guy is a scumbag and deserves an ass kicking. Trolling memorial pages and intentionally upsetting the families in their worst hour is just awful. My question to you, dear ATS reader, is should it be illegal? I'm going to go ahead and say no right now. You should never be arrested, fined or imprisoned for something you say (outside of threats etc.). I think this is a very slippery slope and that giving up those rights to free speech because someone may be offended is a very slippery slope. Where are we going to draw the line?

Also, lol @ his picture. Should I be arrested?

Link

edit on 13-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

+31 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Ass kicked and spit on, absolutely, arrested and jailed by the government.... No.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
No. Everybody should be free. Liberty!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I think he should've been banned from the social networking site for doing what he did, social networking sites are the ones who should be responsible for protecting people from this sort of misuse of social networking.

However, as disgusting as his behaviour was it is possibly a bit risky to actually jail someone for trolling (though his actions may constitute harrassment). Alot of people say alot of nasty things on the internet, it can get very complicated when people can be jailed for insulting others (even if their remarks are absolutely disgusting). The answer to this sort of behaviour is to restrict the person's ability to post such offensive remarks.

edit on 13-9-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Come on, justice system...

Don't feed the trolls.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I had only just read this on a news site myself. I was horrified to learn the things he had done. Apparently he suffers from Aspergers and has an issue with alcohol. Nonetheless, he is a vile man for doing what he did to those poor families.

There are cases of people committing suicide (such as one of his "targets"), because of internet bullying etc. I can't believe that some in society have sunk so low that they can actually find pleasure in these activities.

I say his sentence isn't long enough.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So you can send a guy to jail for nearly 6 months for posting insensitive things online but you cant do anything about lunatics picketing funerals with highly offensive signage?

I guess "trolling" isnt considered speech? Maybe if he claimed he was inciting emotional responses for some performance art or for a political statement?

During a lethal force seminar we had a panel of cops and lawyers all tell us that how you articulate the situation to the responding police/legal entities was much more important than how the situation actually went down.

The only words out of your mouth should either be "I feared for my life" or "I was making a political statement." That way you can escape any legal troubles that may befall you.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Im glad hes in jail and we have laws against it. He is the definition of a loser.

Its a shame that mental church were denied entry to the UK because theyd have all ended up in jail too.

The right to be able to grieve in peace overrides the right for losers to be able to troll. If anyone disagrees, imagine those protesters turning up at your childs funeral and see if youd like them to have "free speech".

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

This loser was in the UK, the other lunatics are in the US.

Unlike the US, the UK doesnt believe our laws apply to the rest of the world.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

There are cases of people committing suicide (such as one of his "targets"), because of internet bullying etc.

They win the Darwin Award in my opinion. Getting trolled on the internet? Stop going on the freaking internet.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Unless a person is known to be mentally ill, or otherwise unstable, I don't think trolling is criminally reckless. There's things we do everyday that are more likely to kill others on accident than trolling leading someone to commit suicide. No way freedom of speech should have restrictions put on it over that.

Still, this guy is scum. But just like most hateful people, he's scum who aren't in violation of the law.

I'm reminded of Westboro Baptists. As satisfying as it'd be to see them spend a little time behind bars, or be forced to shut up, I could never condone the government taking that freedom away from them. At least not without finding a spot in the existing law to charge them for. Same here.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

Unless a person is known to be mentally ill, or otherwise unstable, I don't think trolling is criminally reckless. There's things we do everyday that are more likely to kill others on accident than trolling leading someone to commit suicide. No way freedom of speech should have restrictions put on it over that.

I agree. I'd rather those of us that can cope with being insulted keep our free speech than save a hand full of weak minded individuals lives every year.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

You havent got free speech, post that you wish the president would die and there will be a knock at your door with 24 hours.

This is a perfect law and is only used in extreme cases, it doesnt stop people from throwing insults or trolling but when they take it too far, to the point where people would want them dead, then they go to jail.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think your all wrong. continuing the circle of hurting is not going to fix anything. why not seek out proper psychological help for this guy, and determine the root of the problem so he can be healed. why aren't we thinking in his and all of our best interest?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I saw this on the news earlier today.

I'm not so sure about a prison sentence for trolling, but if you read some of his messages then you'd realise that he's one seriously messed up twunt.

A secure mental institution would probably be a more suitable location to place him in.

edit on 13-9-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Im glad hes in jail and we have laws against it. He is the definition of a loser.

Its a shame that mental church were denied entry to the UK because theyd have all ended up in jail too.

The right to be able to grieve in peace overrides the right for losers to be able to troll. If anyone disagrees, imagine those protesters turning up at your childs funeral and see if youd like them to have "free speech".

Are you stupid? Why should the government get involved and ruin innocent people's lives? So what he trolled them. That just makes him an ass not a criminal! Because of this he probably lost his job, a lot of money, and other issues. How long can you strip individuals rights before you have a revolution on your hands? And if someone did that at my daughters funeral, I'd just kick their ass. Problem solved. No governent needed where it doesn't belong.

link   
reply to post by Flyer

I believe it is perfectly legal for me to say I wish the president would die. I certainly don't wish that but see no reason why I can't say it. I'm not making any threats.

My question to you is where do you draw the line?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

twunt

I have a new favorite word. Thank you so much for posting that. Never heard it before!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Its happened plenty of times before, they turn up and say youve threatened the president.

Its pretty clear to me he went over the line. In no way is that acceptable behaviour and its certainly offensive and the country is better for not allowing it.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Flyer

I believe it is perfectly legal for me to say I wish the president would die. I certainly don't wish that but see no reason why I can't say it. I'm not making any threats.

My question to you is where do you draw the line?

No line needs to be drawn. Fact of the matter is if someone isnt out to kill you or rob you and something else like that out of hand, then the legal system should not ever get involved in people's lives. Bottom line. Words only cut those who let themselves be cut. You make your own reality , remember that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join