It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading man jailed for dead girl 'trolling' insults

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
reply to post by sepermeru

Because all speech has to be protected. You can't pick and chose because something PERSONALLY offends you. This is the basis of freedom of speech. Very simple concept here.

Making "bad words" illegal is extremely scary, tyrannical, and blocks freedom of expression. There will always be hate in the world. It is part of being a human, we have all felt negative emotions and we have all called someone a name at some point in our life. By your logic we are all criminals because I called my sister stupid at some point in time......

edit on 9/17/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/17/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

It has nothing to do with personal offense. It has to do with rights clashing, which is a situation so common we have a rather large legal system to work out whose right trumps whom's in which cases. "Hey man, I wasn't harassing her, she should just deal with the fact that life is tough if I follow her around and post pictures of her with the c-word scrawled on them". That's the kind of thing you think is actually a legal and moral defense under the first amendment, honestly?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It should not be illegal, but the website owner should be able to block people like that if they want to...by IP or name.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Again, harassment and freedom of speech are two different concepts. Why do you keep combining them together?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
Again, harassment and freedom of speech are two different concepts. Why do you keep combining them together?

They just dont get it, they bang on bout free speech but they dont have that either.

You cant harass people even in the US. You can be prevented from talking to anyone by a court with a restraining order.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
LMAO, no i think the tool UK justice system is a damn joke,for arresting this guy.
If people get trolled on the internet, and then commit suicide, then you have an extremely weak and simple mind......i mean it's the internet, better of now, then when you enter the real world.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

Why does one have a weak and simple mind for feeling hurt and trapped as a result of being bullied over the Internet?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

For a start, the girl commited suicide first from being bullied at school, not on the internet, the guy trolled her memorial page.

Second, if thats your mentality, you are one sick individual. Not everybody is strong enough to deal with bullying, either over the internet or in person.

Nobody deserves that.

You are no better than the garden variety troll.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru

Originally posted by joshter

Lol that's not illegal at all. If I walked around telling everyone that I think they're ugly and a waste of space I wouldn't be arrested or given a ticket if the cops were called....

Yes, you would be arrested for harassment and disturbing the peace. You really think what you described above is and should be legal behavior?

FALSE! I would be told I was creating a disturbance and to stop... as I would be "disturbing the peace". Yes, I think it should be legal to go that far. Why should it be the law to be nice to people? You want to make rules and laws that force people to do what YOU think is acceptable. You make me sick.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by BetterCallSaul

Good for you. Personally I believe, if someone attacks a family verbally after they lose a kid, they should be locked away, they deserve it. YOU didn't lose a child, YOU have no idea of the grief the family is going through, YOU were not attacked by this awful little man on an internet page, YOU have no idea of the upset and anger this silly little troll has caused the family.

Justice is for everybody.
edit on 17/9/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

I disagree... and I'll tell you why.

I Don't care if that person lost a child. I don't care what kind of grief the family is going through. I don't care how angry that family is because of someone else. I blame the family for feeling this way. They have every right to be upset, but that's it.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join