It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruger SR1911 Love at first sight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/710cb573956c.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2eb9b190a119.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0b7b282a99c.jpg[/atsimg]

It's no secret here at ATS I am a huge Ruger fan... and this latecomer to the 1911 market was well worth the wait...

I understand that, the stainless steel barrel and bushing are made at the same time, from the same piece of steel, and these two parts stay together during the assembly process... talk about the perfect fit... The hammer is a spurred design for faster lock-time. The trigger is a match-grade affair made out of aluminum, and the one I got to test fire this past weekend trigger pull broke at 4.5 pounds... a quick peek tells me that can be easily dialed up or down with a simple screw driver.

The thumb safety is of the combat variety - extended - and it snicked on and off with authority - with no play. The slide release is standard and not extended. I don't care for some of the overly extended slide releases - they can lock the gun open during firing

The barrel is throated to easily feed any and all types of JHP ammo, The feed ramp on the frame is nicely polished to an almost mirror finish, Again, this aids in feeding the rounds into the chamber.plus the little window notch to check for a round in the chamber...

no Swartz safety, nor any type of firing pin safety at all. Ruger uses a ballistic titanium firing pin with a heavy firing pin spring, so no firing pin safety is needed. this gun will not fire if dropped on its barrel...

I read one gun reviewer who claims his gun shots goups loser than a 45 year old hooker... must be he needs to learn to shoot as I had no problems at all
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea64a8584b82.jpg[/atsimg]

well anyway I found mine up in a gunshop in Kansas city...$750 is MSRP but I'm buying mine for $690... I haven't got it home yet... I only had $350 cash on me at the time... I left that as a down payment... and come payday I'm back to KC to lay claim to my new baby...

edit on 12-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Very nice weapon DB. However, I will not be purchasing any more "new" guns. I will only buy from private owners from now on. I think the end is getting very close, and expect the seizures to begin sooner rather than later.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
My first auto pistol was the Ruger P-89/ Good gun, not as accurate as many pieces, but utterly reliable. I'll have to look into this. I have been kicking around getting a 1911 for some time.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

being a licenced gunsmith means I'm on dozens of lists... my best bet is just to say on good terms with the local LEO's... after all they need me to fix whats broke... and I might just look the other way too if they got toys there not supposed to have

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Looks very nice, I'd love to test that baby out. Good price too.

Off topic a bit, one thing I've had trouble with 1911's, and I've shot a few, is that for some reason the ejection ports always sends casings down my neck, hits my head etc. The only one that hasn't (yet...) is my own colt commander. I wouldn't think that there would be much difference between manufactures on that point but it just seems, not trying to be bias, that the colt sends them more sideways than the others. Just a personal experience.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

now that is a head scratcher... never happens to me...???

okay this is just a guess mind you...
but the colt commander does have a flared ejection port... could be on the other guns it's kind of catching in the well and flipping backwards and that's just not happening with the commander...

or maybe with the ported ejection port it just lets the gun thorw the spents clear....

ah... maybe????
edit on 12-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I love the 1911's, super accurate and very reliable =)

Another Great gun if you looking, is the Sig Sauer P226 (Elite if possible). It is the same pistol used by many of the Navy Seals. It's a little more costly but it suits me a little better.

I Purchased one of these about 6 months back an i'm absolutely in love with her. Yet to have a single jam or any form of failure.

The tritium sights are very bright at night and are a huge plus for me.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/00a32a009929.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09793886f84d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

being a licenced gunsmith means I'm on dozens of lists... my best bet is just to say on good terms with the local LEO's... after all they need me to fix whats broke... and I might just look the other way too if they got toys there not supposed to have
Ex Navy EOD here. So I know about "lists". Not only that but I do tons of international travel, by myself, often on short notice. I know I am on a few.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vardoger
Looks very nice, I'd love to test that baby out. Good price too.

Off topic a bit, one thing I've had trouble with 1911's, and I've shot a few, is that for some reason the ejection ports always sends casings down my neck, hits my head etc. The only one that hasn't (yet...) is my own colt commander. I wouldn't think that there would be much difference between manufactures on that point but it just seems, not trying to be bias, that the colt sends them more sideways than the others. Just a personal experience.
May I ask about your stance? I have been shooting the 1911 since around 1979. I have only seen that once from a lefty(shoots with left hand dominant instead of right) shooting close to eye level.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I jump back and forth between modified weaver and modern Iso, right handed.....I'm no sharp shooter by any means.
It's not every casing that is spent but one every one-two clips will usually bounce off my head/shoulder (excluding the colt). I should video tape it someday maybe when I have the time to get to the range...sigh

edit on 12-9-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

Weird, you should be good then. No idea how that is happening.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vardoger

I jump back and forth between modified weaver and modern Iso, right handed.....I'm no sharp shooter by any means.
It's not every casing that is spent but one every one-two clips will usually bounce off my head/shoulder (excluding the colt). I should video tape it someday maybe when I have the time to get to the range...sigh

edit on 12-9-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

now that sounds like a worn or damaged extractor...
I would check both claw and spring....
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca3603ed31df.gif[/atsimg]

its an easy do it yourself fix...$30 bucks in parts.... Unless you do want to bring it by the house... See I need to make a few extra bucks and well...and promise to only charge 10 times that

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
My first auto pistol was the Ruger P-89/ Good gun, not as accurate as many pieces, but utterly reliable. I'll have to look into this. I have been kicking around getting a 1911 for some time.

I still have a P-89. I replaced the standard sights with Lyman targets and it helped alot.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by oldshooter1979

My current daily carry
is my P944... P94 means it's a .40 cal the extra 4 means the pistol is stainless steel
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cd5de0374ec.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
That looks so nice! I too have been thinking of a 1911. Maybe a Rock Island or a springfield, but hey a Ruger? I too have been a fan of Rugers. Back to my first pistol, a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag to A Redhawk I have had for somewhere around twenty years. Also in .44Mag, To a P-89 9mm I had somewhere around 10 years. You can't hurt a Ruger!! Tanks for the Pictures DB, it looks great..

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Very Nice side.. resembles my

Springfield 1911 mil spec .45

custom grips by VZ.... roughed desert..

and new sites.. not that they were needed...

ruger always makes great products..

although very beautiful, not my love at first site...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I've read really good reviews on this gun. I'm in the market for a 1911 right now, however I wish it had a 4" barrel instead ("commander" length) for CCW. But I may put aside my desire for that just for this gun. How's the trigger? I've heard some say it's crisp and some say it's a bit mushy.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

First you say this:

I read one gun reviewer who claims his gun shots goups loser than a 45 year old hooker... must be he needs to learn to shoot as I had no problems at all

and then you say this:

well anyway I found mine up in a gunshop in Kansas city...$750 is MSRP but I'm buying mine for $690... I haven't got it home yet.

So did they let you shoot it at the gun shop?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Amazing guns, love the Ruger line. i wont be purchasing one though thanks to the fact that I live in the Communist state of California where they are trying to outlaw every gun that they can and this happens to be one of the ones that they are keeping from us.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I like it except i would have to install a ambidextrous safety and slide release.

I can shoot with ether hand and just in case i practice with both hands.
Its great for shooting from cover to be able to use ether hand.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join