It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does alcohol open the mind to paranormal activity?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Many ancient cultures, such the Greeks, Romans, Persians and Celts have had cults dedicated to alcohol, citing it as a mystic connection to the netherworld. The Greeks and Romans make references of nymphs and satyrs, woodland creatures that become known during drunken orgies. Celts claimed that fairies becoming visible.
From my experience I’ve found that it is the recovery that I’ve noticed things. Something I’d like to point out is when being ‘hung over’ hypersensitivity is a common symptom. Sensitivity to light, sound and touch, so why not spiritual sensitivity?

On with my account:

I was at my in-laws celebrating a birthday party and had a bit of fun. I made the foolish error of mixing drinks and became pretty ‘smashed.’ My in-laws directed me to the couch in their lounge room and I went into a drunken slumber.
I awoke at around 4:00 AM with a sudden fearful chill, I felt compelled to keep my eyes closed, but I had dream-like visions of a woman. She was middle aged, dressed in a loose blue-green night dress, with neck length, light nineteen-nineties permed hair. I knew she was angry at me, I could feel a cold breath on my face and heard soft foot steps on the ground around me. Suddenly I opened my eyes, heart pounding, and saw nothing. I immediately left my makeshift bed and went to another room to continue sleeping.
The next morning I told my father in-law of the experience. Rather unsurprised he said, ‘that was the previous owner. Was she dressed in a blue nightgown?’ Of course I said yes. He explained to me that she hung herself in her bedroom, which before renovating was where the lounge room is. I was pretty shocked, as before this event I had not given ghosts much consideration. It certainly was not a pleasant experience.

Since my first experience I feel that I’ve noticed things after recovering from intoxication, such as shadow people, outlines of people and flashing faces in windows etc. I’ve usually put this down to a type of Pareidolia, especially when reading on Wikipedia that the some symptoms of drunkenness can induce hallucinations.

But maybe these ‘hallucinations’ are actually spiritual sensitivity? What are your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gargarean
What are your thoughts?

if there is one thing that spirits seem to hate, its the living taking their life/health for granted. it sounds so weird, i know, but it just makes so much sense. this isnt the first time ive heard of basically the same situation. so you arent alone, and probably not hallucinating. if he really knew exactly who you were talking about that should make it obvious.
i bet if you ask him, she doesnt show herself to everyone that stays there. gives you something to think about, doesnt it?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gargarean

I don't know about seeing ghost when your drunk, but, it seems the more I drink the better looking even the ugliest woman gets

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300

I don't know about seeing ghost when your drunk, but, it seems the more I drink the better looking even the ugliest woman gets

Ha, well we here in reality see ghost when we drink. Go take your pipe dreams somewhere else.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venomilk

What are your thoughts?

if there is one thing that spirits seem to hate, its the living taking their life/health for granted. it sounds so weird, i know, but it just makes so much sense. this isnt the first time ive heard of basically the same situation. so you arent alone, and probably not hallucinating. if he really knew exactly who you were talking about that should make it obvious.
i bet if you ask him, she doesnt show herself to everyone that stays there. gives you something to think about, doesnt it?

Perhaps your right in some cases, but this ghost is malevolent. After that night the other family members told me that they had, had some kind of encounter with her. She is apparently very protective of her 'bed room.' The step-son of my father in-law said she would verbally tell him to get out of her room.
So I don't think she was annoyed at me being drunk, but rather my drunkenness had broke down the inhibitory wall of reason.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Hmmm......reminds me of a preacher I was forced to listen to when I was a kid. He said he used to be a drunken lout who did vile things throughout his young life, then one night he was walking home from some sort of debauchery he had been involved in and a demon showed up and chased his young butt home to where he found his dear ole mommy sitting in the kitchen and praying for God to show him the errors of his ways. Something like that.

We're disallowed due to T&C to discuss some things here on ATS. So I'll just say, alcohol bad. Some other things good.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Reply to post by Gargarean

I had a similar experience like what you had but I dont know of any deaths at the place where I was. I think what I experienced was night terrors but could of been paranormal for all I know

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Originally posted by billy197300

Ha, well we here in reality see ghost when we drink. Go take your pipe dreams somewhere else.

Actually, I have seen a few ghosts and a few of the shadow people. I was completely sober when I did. I have never seen anything paranormal intoxicated.....only sober.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod

I had a similar experience like what you had but I dont know of any deaths at the place where I was. I think what I experienced was night terrors but could of been paranormal for all I know

If there was not an entire family of six confirming my experience with very correct responses, I would had said it was just some drunken night terror.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have noticed that there is a common New-Age concept that one should abstain from alcohol in order to be receptive to enlightenment. My personal belief is that this concept is merely a spillover from Puritanical societal "norms" rather than a spiritual truth, and that material things are completely irrelevant to spirituality, other than how one responds to them as an individual. In other words, if you feel guilty for having a drink, because you think it is something a bad person would do, and so therefore you must be bad, then you are likely to believe you were wrong in taking the drink and you have some need to be protected or saved from taking future drinks. You are also more likely to behave badly after having a drink, because that is your expectation of how a person who drinks alcohol should behave. So it acts as a self-fulfilling prophesy.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venomilk

What are your thoughts?

Ghost don't give a crap if you drink from time to time, and if they do, they can shove it.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Im gonna have to check into the history of where I had my experience. it would be wild if it turns out that a lady died there. If it does turn out to have been paranormal i dont know if I could say it was the alcohol because of how often I got drunk there yet only having the one experience.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Below is an excerpt that C.G. Jung wrote in correspondence initiated by Bill. W (Co-founder of AA) You might find the entire letter interesting in regards this subject.

...You see, "alcohol" in Latin is "spiritus" and you use the same word for the highest religious experience as well as for the most depraving poison. The helpful formula therefore is: spiritus contra spiritum.

Thanking you again for your kind letter.

I remain
Yours sincerely

C. G. Jung*

Jung postulated that some people drank to experience being closer to the divine, but that it often had the opposite effect.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Alcohol is reffered to as "spirits", haha

I'm a person who's body does not throw up alcohol, so i'm incredibly prone to going over and blacking out. Not just passing out, somehow still functioning with a totally different personality while my conscious mind is out. It doesn't happen much anymore but when I was younger, people would tell me stories of doing stuff I'd never do, saying things I would never say even drunk. I've been drunk a lot but things get really weird when I black out.

I've always wondered if when my mind shuts down, something else is talking / acting through me? I realize it's most likely some sort of deep seeded subconscious things coming out but I've always wondered.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Well they didn't call alcohol "spirits" for nothing.

Unsweetened, distilled, alcoholic beverages that have an alcohol content of at least 20% ABV are called spirits.[6] Spirits are produced by the distillation of a fermented base product.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
i don't know about the rest of all y'all
but this is way alcohol .use to make me see things.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

That's brilliant! Haha, I think it would take me more than six beers.

Anyway, back on subject. I'm only remember what I read while ago, but I thought spirits was named from the cold breath feeling people experience after drinking distilled alcohol.

The reason I bought up previous ancient cultures was they obviously felt a certain spirituality connected to alcohol. The Norse even claim that ale is the blood of giants that instills wisdom upon the drinker. Like cigarettes maybe our mass producing drunk culture has lost sight of the spiritual power alcohol can induce.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Well ethanol (alcohol) is very psychoactive in high doses, and it's nickname is spirits, so perhaps there's a connection?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join