It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK severe weather warnings issued for Scotland and North England. Amber alert!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
So it seems we have the remnants of hurricane Katia bearing down on us on Monday the 12th September. I just wanted to share with you the Met Office alert diagram to show you people where the weather is going to be severe.

www.metoffice.gov.uk

I live in the Lincoln area and I'm surprised to see the yellow alert for us. Worst that can happen in the area I live is flooding so I hope it doesn't cause too much ground saturation. I can see small tree's etc being blown over so watch out, we don't want any of these 'widow makers' landing on people. It seems most of the country will have some degree of severe weather. I haven't seen an amber alert on the Met Office for years regarding the UK, could be something, could be nothing.

Anyway, stay safe.
edit on 11-9-2011 by AnalyticalDreamer because: Fixed the link.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'm in Cheshire and we've been having some pretty strong winds for two days now. Got an Amber alert too for this area. Hopefully it will be nothing more than a few trees and fences coming down and that no one gets hurt.

Stay safe

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
isnt an amber alert when a child is missing?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Oh lovely, I just about fit into the amber alert zone, lol. Just my luck.

Anyway, stay safe to everyone else in the UK tomorrow. The wind's have been picking up a lot lately but tomorrow it should be a lot worse unfortunately. Let's just hope It isn't as bad as some are predicting it to be.
edit on 11-9-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Nothing will happen, those alerts are a joke. I would ignore anything except a red alert and even then think twice about taking any notice of it.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
im west of edinburgh and so far its just a normal scottish day.. Heavy wind, rain, snow, sunny, cloud, rain and back to wind again

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Amber alert is when a child is missing in the USA.

In UK it means bad weather could be coming.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

We have an amber alert for Northern Ireland as well it's already getting pretty bad
hopefully though everything will be alright

Everyone keep safe

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The wind has picked up a bit but im on south wales and dont think we're in the amber alert zone.
i think the most i will get is about 25 mph winds.
I hope it stays mild for you other brits but bring your guinea pigs inside just in case.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kellys

We've had strong winds for over a week or so now. The remnants of Irene and Katia. There's another tropical storm brewing over the carribean right now called Maria. In hindsight I suppose it's much better that the UK gets a diluted extratropical storm than the US getting a full on violent hurricane. Still, you're in an amber area so probobly best not to hang your washing out for a few days

Being in Lincolnshire where it's mostly flat, plains like terrain and we will get the very southern end of the storm front here. What happens a lot is we get our own weather due to the flat nature of our landscapes. We tend to get unpredictable weather as the high pressure warm fronts collide with the cold fronts from the north and create storms. The flat landscape is perfect for heating up and the ground doesn't drain water too good so we get a lot of surface evaporation. We are getting humid mid 20s here. A storm is coming no doubt.

Not sure about Cheshire, I imagine it's not going to be pretty. Tell your friends and family too let them be aware at least and hopefully we can enjoy a good thunderstorm or two in the safety of our homes / workplace.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Yep, The amber alert area is more southern than I first thought. I was told it was going to be the most northern part of Scotland to be affected.

My house faces North and the winds are coming in strong now from the North West. My dads out planting these stringy looking weak plants in the front garden. I just asked him how long he thinks they will last if we get 50 mph winds, thunderstorms and heavy rain over the next couple of days, he's too stubborn to stop working though lol.
edit on 11-9-2011 by AnalyticalDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Cayla19

Hope you are okay in Northern Ireland. That's a pretty bad spot too be it looks like. It's almost the entire of northern / southern Ireland going to be under a severe weather warning for this. You will get the brunt of it as well but at least you take one for the team so to speak and weaken the storm for us in England!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

We have chickens, cats and fish... I think the chickens will have to go inside there own hutch. If they die or something at least it's a good meal (3 meals... 3 chickens).

Not bringing them inside they poo everywhere and stink. The cats are stupid but will most likely stay inside at the first drop of rain and the fish, well the fish will be okay even if it floods

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Only North of Scotland should be on the path of the tropical storm Katia. Winds: up to 85 km/hours. I would say UK was quite lucky this time!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

The Met Office alerts are a joke? Ignore them? You can ignore them but I like to stay prepared. I've experienced flooding in my area so I actually have to pay attention to the weather.

If you want your material goods, your house, your livestock/crops destroyed then by all means, go back living in your bubble ignoring all the Met Office warnings.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

The trees are still heavy with leaves, that plus wind & heavy rain will result in many fallen branches ... be careful on the roads. But 85 kph ? Not worthy of a thread.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
Only North of Scotland should be on the path of the tropical storm Katia. Winds: up to 85 km/hours. I would say UK was quite lucky this time!

Look at the Met Office link I provided, it's a lot more southern than you think.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It's blowing a gale outside here in Workington. We always seem to get the worst of it.

I just hope the rain isn't too bad, we've only just had the bridge over the river replaced from the floods in 2009.
For those that didn't see it on the news, in November that year we had 3 months rainfall happen in just a few hours, which caused one of the lakes to burst its gates and sent a tsunami of water for miles down the river Derwent, taking out pretty much every bridge in its path. The main road bridge into my town, a massive sandstone bridge, was swept away and sadly, PC Bill Barker who was trying to stop traffic crossing it was standing on it and was also washed away and drowned.

I live only 2 minutes walk away from the bridge and crossed it nearly every day, it was unbelievable that such a big heavy bridge could succumb to some bad weather!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6846f300e238.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 11/9/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

Only North of Scotland should be on the path of the tropical storm Katia.

Well, not according to the Met Office:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8755a54fe02c.jpeg[/atsimg]

(This image is from the link found in the opening post)

This for the 12th.
edit on 11-9-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DoubtingThomas1

Well, I posted the warning about 5 days ago here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I was quite sure it will hit right in the middle, however I am glad I was wrong. Bit strange how Katia survived such a long distance, yesterday it was still classified as a category 1 hurricane! Today the hurricane was pulled out from my map..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join