It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK severe weather warnings issued for Scotland and North England. Amber alert!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Just had a call from friend worried because an old oak tree has split right over his elderly mothers house. So the other half and him are going to attempt to fell the hundred foot monster early in the morning.

We are only in the yellow area though, so should be alright..Just don't want the thing blowing onto someones mum.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

urricane Katia looks set to batter the UK with winds of over 80mph and sea swells reaching 15 metres Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AnalyticalDreamer

Nothing happened even in the 88 hurricane, if fact I slept right through it.

They cry wolf with all these alerts, just yesterday there was a yellow alert for southern england for tomorrow and that was removed.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
85 kph?
i thought it was going to be about 80 MPH, which is 128.7 Kph.
thats what i read anyway, but my source might be wrong.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Nothing happened even in the 88 hurricane

You mean '87 and yeah nothing happened.., Apart from severe damage (costing over a billion) and around 22 people killed all in all.

edit on 11-9-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Actually it was 1987 not 88, and, after watching my caravan doing cartwheels on the lawn, I can safely say something indeed did happen.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
981 mb atmospheric pressure central Scotland. And the cats haven't moved an inch since this morning, they're still in bed. I'm a great believer animals can sense changes in weather ... perhaps the storm might be worse than we think ?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

Y'alright Smeghead, some local weather reports are stating gusts of 80MPH over higher ground.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I remember that, didn't a policeman lose his life in that flooding? Was horrible anyway.

Ignore all the people saying 'not worth making a thread about' etc. They don't know what it's like to be flooded or don't understand how little it actually takes to cause serious flooding in parts of the UK.

Living in a flood plain this worries me, we have tropical storm Maria brewing in the Caribbean so we will get the remnants of that as well. What we don't need is constant rainfall between now and then. The ground where I live is already wet and damp and floods so easily.

This is what 2 days of heavy rainfall does in my village;

There were bungalow's next door and down the road with almost 1 foot of water inside them that day. I hope you people who are posting nonsense like ''Don't worry about it'' ''No need to make a thread about it'' can appreciate why some people actually have to pay attention to the weather now.

Take care, peace.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Yeah, PC Bill Barker, lovely fellow, and a tragedy what happened, I just hope he was knocked unconcious when the bridge went as I would imagine being washed out to sea and drowning would be a horrific experience.

Then we had the shootings in June the following year and just a few weeks earlier we had the Keswick schoolbus tragedy.

It wasn't really a good few months for West Cumbria, but they do say it comes in threes.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

You mean '87 and yeah nothing happened.., Apart from severe damage (costing over a billion) and around 22 people killed all in all.

Which is only slightly more than the amount of road deaths per day in the 80s which was 15/day.

Youre still more likely to die another way than by a hurricane even if it was the worst storm in memory.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against You mean '87 and yeah nothing happened.., Apart from severe damage (costing over a billion) and around 22 people killed all in all.

Which is only slightly more than the amount of road deaths per day in the 80s which was 15/day. Youre still more likely to die another way than by a hurricane even if it was the worst storm in memory.

We're not talking about death here. Please stop being so naive. Everybody should be aware of falling branches, tree's, flooding. If death can be avoided then great.

I'm not trying to fear-monger over this 'hurricane' I'm just trying to raise awareness about the effects that this could bring to vulnerable areas. I will be keeping a close eye on how this plays out personally and have taken the necessary precautions to stop any electrical items, valuable items I have from being destroyed by potential flooding.

I hope people do prepare and take it somewhat seriously, the humidity and warm weather in the south is what worries me the most. We have humid, high pressure conditions right now and when that collides with the low pressure of the extra-tropical storm you know as Katia, the potential for storms, heavy rain gets multiplied and it can potentially cause more damage to property and risks such as loss of life are a very real scenario.
edit on 11-9-2011 by AnalyticalDreamer because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2011 by AnalyticalDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Agreed, and I only brought up the amount of deaths because Flyer incredibly claimed that nothing happened at all.. something he couldn't be more wrong about really as the damage and death toll was clear to see. I'm still amazed at exactly what he wrote, and the point he was making, in his last post in fact.

Anyway AnalyticalDreamer you make a good point here and yes, and I know you're not trying to fear-monger or anything. This thread should've been made because this is potentially a very real cause for concern. History tell's us that.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
looking out the window right now in Runcorn....trees full of leaves.....blowing heavily in the breeze...gusts ruffling the branches as we wait for the snapping sound...then suddenly...a great calm...the blowing ceases to exist....and all is calm...till whooooosh.....it strikes yet again.....wondering if yet again the branches will snap.....knowing that later in the evening this could all change as monday approaches.....

but hey....no
worries right now.....just hope the rain stays away as that could make things alot worse....we will see what comes...but be safe out there.....also had wind warnings on the silver jubilee bridge earlier.

edit on 113030p://f08Sunday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I too live near Lincoln, we've already had a small tree of ours snap in half and come down today. We have lots of much larger trees on our land and if it gets anywhere near what it was like in 1987 I'm going to be very busy with a chainsaw
, hopefully the wind will stay blowing in the direction it is now so if the worst happens they'll be falling away from the house

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ignore those sorts of cavalier comments. We got the same sorts of comments here on the east coat of US just because Irene didn't kill "enough" people and send the entire ocean sliding over New York City and therefore in their eyes didn't justify all the warnings and preparation and media coverage. One poor woman lost her son to a tree crashing into their home. She ran out screaming about her "baby". As far as I'm concerned that loss was "something". And closer to home for me personally, in my old neighborhood a workman was electrocuted in the aftermath due to a downed power line. There have been other untold tales of individual hardships and property damage faced by people I know personally that don't make the news, as there ALWAYS is after a heavy storm. I just hope and pray somehow the hurricane skims past you all and you all escape further drenching and flooding. We just got enough of that here that I completely sympathize with anyone anywhere who is due for the same. I am truly sorry this terrible storm appears headed your way and I wish you all the best in facing it.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I am just outside of the amber zone. It has been quite windy here though the last few days so we may still get a little.

Hope it doesn't get too bad for all of you smack in the middle of it.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by fatpastyhead

Still hot and humid in the east. That's not a good sign. I hope it's not going to intensify the storms.

Just be aware if you live near tree's or in a flood plain we could get a lot of rain.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm starting to notice the media is behaving like tv adverts. Loud & overly-dramatic. Anything for attention really.

I'm in the middle of the amber area and it's breezy, we've had some drizzle, but nothing out of the ordinary so far except an extremely loud lightning crack that woke us all up at 6am yesterday.

Bring it on. I like weather, as long as nobody's hurt.

Someone mentioned the 1987 storm. I slept though that one.
edit on 11-9-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
im in ayrshire on the west coast of scotland, smack in the middle of the amber zone and i gotta say its just a typical day here! ill keep ya updated but so far nothing out of the norm

it is a bit windy but weve had worse onver the past few weeks thats for sure
going by the weather reports then where i am is set to get smacked head on by katia so we will see what happens

stay safe guys and gals

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join