It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK severe weather warnings issued for Scotland and North England. Amber alert!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'm in Ayrshire too, and I've witnessed a few belters roaring through these parts. New year '06/'07 (I think) was a cracker. Trees flattened everywhere. Power cuts. Lightning strikes. Sustained winds like I'd never seen. Pretty much un-reported in the UK media.

Yes, we do get some dangerous storms, but our buildings are solid. However...

If a storm like that one rolls through the central belt during the day - it's predicted for rush hour on Monday actually - while the trees are in full leaf in September, then people and property will come to harm. 80mph gusts happen regularly here, but a series of high profile 'under' forecasts and over-reactions mean that the MET Office is REALLY cagey about just saying '100mph storm that was a Cat 1 hurricane just yesterday is gonna smash your shed to a million pieces'.

Stay... sensible.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Anything for London? Aren't we gonna get some love?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Up the road in Glasgow. Expecting localised flooding and the usual missing roof tiles, trees and fences down.
Gale force winds are not an unusual thing here and for the most part we sail through it but there are times when things do go horribly wrong; the family from Uist that were swept into the sea as they tried to get to safety are an example of what does go wrong.

I remember that New Year 06/07. I was in a wee glen in Perthshire, the wind was wild and pretty damn scary, then just after the bells the leccy went out. Into bed and awoke to what was one of the coldest houses ive ever been in. Even the open fire couldnt heat the damned place. It was so bad I was prepared to drive back to Glasgow so that I would have a warm house but hankfully the electricity came back on after lunchtime. Heres hoping tomorrow wont be that bad.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Nope, London couldn't cope, just us Northerners, cos we're well 'ard ey like!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Barometric pressure in Lanark not changed much, holding steady at 981 mb (although we're 600 feet above sea level, if that matters)(I'm no scientist). Winds calm, heavy rain, poor visibility. Reliably told the Erskine Bridge over the Clyde is "an adventure", with ferries from Scotland to Ulster & within the Scottish islands now cancelled due to heavy seas.

Sea states in Rockall, Malin & Hebrides now "very rough" or "high" with possibility of "very high" later.

First American to give an accurate explanation of the term "North Utsire South Utsire" without resorting to a search engine wins a prize !

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeetroyman
im west of edinburgh and so far its just a normal scottish day.. Heavy wind, rain, snow, sunny, cloud, rain and back to wind again

I am glad you posted that as my wife is in Scotland right now vacationing in Edinburgh.. How odd she may have to go through this storm twice!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It is warm and humid down here in London at the moment.

Before the hurricane of 87, the temperature rose significantly in a short space of time.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by Romanian

Only North of Scotland should be on the path of the tropical storm Katia.

Well, not according to the Met Office:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8755a54fe02c.jpeg[/atsimg]

(This image is from the link found in the opening post)

This for the 12th.
edit on 11-9-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

That amber zone looks more like a giant cheesy wotsit hovering over Scotland ..... which actually would be a good thing cos I like cheesy wotsits

The weathermen here never get anything right. Not been the same since Michael Fish messed things up.

ps. it cud also be a huge spill of Irn Bru
edit on 11-9-2011 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm visiting from the states and staying in Wiltshire.
I went to Avenbury today and it seemed a bit windy and rained a little bit
but i didn't experience anything really that sever.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AnalyticalDreamer

Hmmm I think I recognise that tower in the background of your pic. Is it near Chelmsford Ave?

Thanks for the heads up, first i'd heard of the warning.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bex33

Hey, it's about 40 miles south of Chelmsford Ave. I live in a small village called Billinghay east of Lincoln. It's around Woodall Spa, Tattershall, North Kyme etc...

I guess you might have passed it driving through the villages

It's a bit of an eyesore, reminds me of the War of the Worlds machine walker things with three legs.

You can see it from miles away as well since it's flat here. You can see it not far from Sleaford.

Take care.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well being right down south, it looks as though I won't see any action !

I remember the "Great Storm" of "87, I was 9 at the time, and stayed awake throughout,the night, next morning there were trees everywhere, and a power cut to boot !

For all those residing in the affected area, stay safe

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Wow im in the yellow zone, funny how this hasnt even been on the news here, yet in America it was the top story for days, ok so its probably lost alot of strength coming over the sea but even so for them to issue us a severe weather warning you would have thought there would have been more media noise on the topic. I'm looking forward to testing my new kite out and tomorrow afternoon looks perfect. Take care people where ever you maybe, watch the tiles/slates on your roof's and stay away from trees once the wind gets up. Look out for your elderly and infirm neighbours. Enjoy natures fury!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

It's exiting isn't it, in a weird sort of way people want disaster, but as long as nobody is hurt. I think it was George Carlin who said every time he watches a disaster he cheers it on like ''Come on, kill more!!! More damage!!! That fire fighter's trying to put you out fire, KILL HIM!!''

Sometimes I think people on this website wish for disaster a little too much

But it is exiting. We all like to see nature's wrath but it's a shame that usually means death and pain for us.

Take care.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'm smack in the amber zone and really quite looking forward to a bit of extreme weather. A half-decent thunderstorm at least. Thankfully I don't have to work until tomorrow afternoon so I'll miss all the rush-hour nonsense but I'll still be glad of the opportunity to try out my new reinforced umbrella.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Greetings from the NW coast of Ireland. We are forecast gales of up to 140kph in a few hours from now. In bed here on my phone and not much to report yet. Heavy rain this past hour or so but nothing unusual about wind strength yet.
If forecasts for here are correct we can also expect up to 10meter waves and a storm surge which could coincide with high tides at 6.08am. Storm is shifting slightly further south than forecast and therefore more of Ireland and Uk will be effected.
Due to the rarity of this system computer models are having a hard time getting a grasp of exact track and intensity of this storm. The Amber alert in by the met office in the Uk reflects this uncertainty.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Furthest North West coast of England, winds picking up a lot now, and rain. Still, i've seen far worse. My only problem is that i'm trying to watch Atlantis and the noise the wind is making as it comes down my chimney is bloody irritating!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
ooooooh, it's picking up now, every gust I swear I can feel the building shake! lol, Big brick building too!
edit on 11/9/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AnalyticalDreamer

Using HAARP to try and keep the radiation away.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Ok here in ayrshire its about to hit! the winds are picking up with a ferocious wee roar in them
this could get interesting.

Ill stay on here and aupdate with what im seeing!

on another note all the birds in the are are on he ground, not one in the sky at all which for my town is unusual, its almost as if they know its coming.
edit on 12-9-2011 by Free4Ever2 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join