It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK severe weather warnings issued for Scotland and North England. Amber alert!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
East Central Scotland calling! We are in the amber alert area.

First thing this morning it was very, very still and quite muggy/warm outside. A good breeze is now whipping up and the skies have actually cleared quite a bit. I will wait to see what the rest of the day has in store.....

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by lovesfood

What's it like now.
Isle of Wight is now reporting sustained winds at 48mph...gale force. Gusts in North Wales to 74mph.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
its defo picking up now here in ayr! bins all over the place, slight debris blowing around, no rain yet though and they were expecting alot of it!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

Nice to see fellow Ayrshire ATS` rs. Wind is roaring and trees are bending, Went a run down Newton to see heavy breakers over the wall and flooding imminent along the road. Stay safe from the town of Rabbie Burns....P.S. we need an Ayrshire survival group or network.

respects

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Aberdeen report.

a bit breezy but nothing special, it was raining earlier but seems to have stopped!

are their any meterological geeks in this thread? Its just that i stayed up till quite late looking at charts on the met office site, mainly sea forcasts and preassure charts . from the pressure charts and forcasts, it looked like their was a depression off the north west of scotland/uk, and another depression was heading at us from the south west, which looked to be hitting the one which was closer (but moving towards us very slowly) then combining with the lowest area of the depression going accross scotland (and directly over aberdeen)

can someone put this data in a bit more of a perspective to me please (if possible) ... its been along time scince i did any meterological type study.

my question on it really is ... is the worst part where the pressure is at its lowest, or it is the area round the depression.

also....

which one was katia?? was it the slow moving system which was hitting us from the north west, or the system which was coming from the south west?

thanks!

Id say stay safe, but i doubt this wind will amount to anything ... my rule of thumb which is normaly pretty good with met office ... unless its a snow or flood forcast ... i ignore them, as the met office is really good at being over paraniod scince 1986 and seem to do it on a monthly occurance (vastly over predict that is ... unless its blizzards or floods)
edit on 12-9-2011 by boaby_phet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Im heading down newton later when it hits a little harder
love to see nature at work, Never thought id find a fellow ATS'r from my immediate area

totally should have an ayrshire survival group.

Stay safe friend hopefully this wont be as bad as most are making out

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
East Fife here - lovely and sunny, got my clothes out drying though they might escape the rope 'cos it's very breezy. Doors are open, it's warm.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Runcorn here...winds blowing...gusts here and there...but all seem well for now.

Oh yes i forgot....dont wera a hat today...if you want it to stay on your head.
edit on 053030p://f44Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

warm you say ??? maybe i have been reading too much lately, but if its heating up AND this post tropical storm is coming in ... cant this intensify it? ... again, answers from weather geeks would be appreciated! (theirs only so much google listed sites and reaserch can tell us).

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

Please be careful down there it can be decieving...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47cd04f54d7d.jpg[/atsimg]

respects

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Thanks for the warning friend, i might just leave it today haha! looks pretty wild, although i kinda wanna get some videos so i might head down but stay well back from the breakers

Peace

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
About 10 minutes since my last post. Cooler now, clothes still hanging by a leg but half the pegs blown away along with the sandpit lid. Can still see the sun but it's clouding over and the sma' rain has started. Proper windy now.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Best get your washing in soon Wigit - that's the rain started and clouds closed in over here in West Fife.
Wind's getting a fair bit gustier as well!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by lovesfood

I'm on it, thank you

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Makes me laugh,
From wales here, when the recent "Hurricane" closed off nearly all of NY the winds were ones we see most weekends.

I am sure my Scottish friends will be ok, par for the cause, just another autumnal day.

When I was a lad we used to have to carry sheep down from the mountain with our teeth and one in each hand, naked in 100mph winds.

If we were lucky at the bottom we wouldn't get a beating for the wool being to wet to shear.

Real men are moving on nothing to see here

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnalyticalDreamer
reply to post by solargeddon

It's exiting isn't it, in a weird sort of way people want disaster, but as long as nobody is hurt. I think it was George Carlin who said every time he watches a disaster he cheers it on like ''Come on, kill more!!! More damage!!! That fire fighter's trying to put you out fire, KILL HIM!!''

Sometimes I think people on this website wish for disaster a little too much

But it is exiting. We all like to see nature's wrath but it's a shame that usually means death and pain for us.

Take care.

I'm glad you agree with it all being a bit exciting, as perverse as it sounds, a little break from the norm can be quite uplifting, but yes without injury or death, because that is never fun.

I could be wrong but the wind speed isn't really going to be much to write home about, I read a comment on another site this morning in response to an article on this,

Americans call it a hurricane, here in the UK, we say it is a bit breezy

That made me lol

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Its getting quite bad now here in Ayr. Small branches and leaves blowing up the street from the trees beside the racecourse. Bins on the move. Still no rain although the sky is dark with no breaks. We could be in for a hammering later tonight if its as bad as this just now. Stay safe.

respects

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Nowt happening here in central Glasgow, pretty bright actually. I was woken at just after 8am with the rain belting off the bedroom window though.

As for the wind, Im on the ground floor and have to use the wee tree that someone has on their balcony (4th floor) on the building opposite to gauge the strength of the wind and atm its blowing about but not any worse than what i've seen when theres a good breeze going. If it ends up devoid of leaves or on the street below then I know we have gale force winds

Stay safe all.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
129 kph recorded at Prestwick airport at 1.00pm...mmmm that will be about 81 mph? Sounds much worse in kph.

respects

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Glasgow here. I'm on pretty high ground but the current wind and rain aren't anything I haven't seen before. I'm heading out to work in about an hour and going by the updates from the Ayrshire members, I expect things'll pick up quite soon. My job involves arranging building maintenance work all over the UK so I expect we'll be hammered tonight, especially from properties on the Hebrides.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join