It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody feeling anything in the Northeast [USA]?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nastradamus

That feeling is definitely pervasive everywhere and you're right. The number of potential hazards that exist are enough to render you paralyzed if you think about them too much so the best any of us can do is to take it one day at a time. These are scary times for all of us...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Hi Timidgal, this thread got me to wondering about the way sound waves and other forms of vibration are propagated through saturated ground vs. "regular ground". I noticed ever since the hurricane my house is shaking and rattling and rumbling more when heavy trucks go by on a road that runs a little ways beyond the woods behind my house. Normally we don't get that much road noise this time of year and get more of it in winter when the trees are bare. But it's been really noticeable since all this rain came. I tried a google search to see if saturated ground conducts vibration stronger than unsaturated ground does but I only found very technical research documents that were beyond my ability to decipher. There was too much calculus or some other kind of math I haven't had to wrestle with in 25 years and even though I can sometimes at least wade through technical jargon fairly well, that wasn't the case for me this time. But I hope in mentioning it, someone who is better educated can chime in. It may be that somehow with all the rain, you are in an area that can feel the jolt from the normal aftershocks of the Virginia quake. From what I can gather from the articles I read, the VA quake is acting "normal" and settling down. The aftershocks are supposed to be like this for a once off sizable quake.

My backyard has sunken down in the past year. I don't think it's a sinkhole, though I have seen one very close to my backyard once and had a fist sized one appear in the yard (and then disappear). This is just an acceleration of continuing normal events in my yard due to how the developers designed the landscaping to handle drainage in our neighborhood. It's due to heavy snows last winter and hard rains now. At some point we will have to carefully re grade the back and side yards.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
its 2:30am early sat morning 9/10/2011 on long island, NYC and i can definitely feel the ground rumble about every few minutes for about 10 secs each. in going to bed and hope nothing bad happens.

wish there was some way/homegadget to detect minimal seismic activity. just out of curiousity bc it plays tricks with your head cuz its so minor if you were moving around wouldnt notice it until sit still like in your basement when its quiet at late nite early morn.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hey hon......I think maybe the ground could be shifting, and that, along with anxiety, could be what's going on. I believe you....but try not to worry. If nothing shows on usgs you are fine.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Hey there, Sheepl. It's an interesting question. I know that when the EQ happened in Virginia a few weeks ago, there were a lot of folks who explained that the vibrations definitely traveled much farther than if it had happened on the west coast because the east has more of a bedrock foundation which carries vibrations farther. Insofar as ground saturation is concerned, I too googled it after reading your response and probably saw the same sites you saw (way too technical for me to understand as well :puz
. Maybe someone else with this technical knowledge will see this and respond.

Timidgal

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
If nothing shows on usgs you are fine.

that's reassuring.

actually, the mild tremors happened only at nite (wee morning hours) so far.

which i find odd.

edit on 10-9-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

ignant - at exactly 4:41 AM I was jolted from sleep by a vibration which didn't last long (probably about 10 secs) but which was strong enough to wake me up. Now I know that many of us have the heebie-jeebies, but there's no question that this was real. As to the cause, now that's another question and StealthyKat makes a good point, as does Sheepl about vibrations and ground saturation...

One comment I want to make about ATS though and I'm wondering if others have noticed this too - since I've joined, I've definitely become more conscious of what's going on around me. It's now automatic that when something "weird" happens, I take notice of the time and circumstances so that there's some basis for comparison with others. I see this as a good thing because I feel more aware of what's going on around me as opposed to forcing myself to ignore things I know just don't feel right (like I used to do).

Timidgal

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join