It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody feeling anything in the Northeast [USA]?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
I clicked on this because a region of the UK is commonly referred to as the North East. I think we all need reminding that this is an international forum and therefore subject headings should be specific as to the country where possible. Otherwise it just comes across as a combination of arrogance and ignorance.
If it was me posting about UK, I would say North East UK. Because I am aware people come here from different countries. Of course if it was purely a British forum, I would just say North East.
In this case it would have been better to say, North East US.
I am sure someone will say this is 'off topic' but subject headings are important and this sort of thing just keeps on coming up.
But no I have not felt anything in 'the northeast'. Not MY north east anyway.
edit on 8-9-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

Brainiac... Northeast is US North East is UK? I would think that the difference is pretty blatant. If you spell it two different words in UK woopdy do. We lump the two words together. Stop complaining about something so minor that apparently you must have either hate or are bored and just want to flame people for your misunderstanding.
Does it take you 20min to load a page? If not then a one click and 20sec of your trolling is wasted, I'm sorry those 20 sec are lost to you!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

Amen, Timidgal!

I was a long-time lurker and never "signed up" because some of the BS in here...whiners and "hall monitors". I finally signed up anyway. Haven't posted much and what just happened to you is a great example of why.
Important note: I have also noticed some really good people are on ATS and there is constructive dialogue...it's just sad that you have to look so hard to find it now. Is England still the "Northeast" if you live in..say, Germany or Poland? One could technically argue that the reference to NE from people in the U.K. might be a bit ignorant as well. Aw, Jeez...Now I'm just splitting hairs.

Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Yes I am very serious about the corn, and nusnus is correct about the stability of the ground your house is on, you may have a fault under or closer to you that no one knows about. Even if you do not see anything on the USGS site you need to go make a report of an unknown event and have your neighbors do the same thing. If they get enough complaints they will start setting up stations and monitoring it or they should. I know that Arkansas sent some temporary stations to Virginia last week to help them monitor what is going on there.

I have big time earthquake damage on my house and our attorney has filed a lawsuit against the gas companies that are drilling and injecting here. We have had a structural engineer come out and make a formal report. Lots of damage has been done and we are not the only ones and then you have the water quality issue's from the gas companies as well. It's a living nightmare and I have a house that is damaged now that I can never recover from if I could sell it and get out of here. I can still feel movement at times but it's not anywhere like it was. I hope it settles down for you soon, I know what your going through.

These threads may help you out some. Long reads but very informative.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one
www.abovetopsecret.com...

One of the members on this thread created a bibliography for us to help document what was going on here.

Resource Bibliography for Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epic, page 1
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Quick update folks! Just had more swaying (2x) preceded by the strangest sirens I have ever heard. I now hear police/fire sirens in every direction. Not sure what's going on but I'm about 15 miles from Indian Point nuclear power plant so I'm getting out of here (weird sirens have me spooked). Will try to update when I have more info and access to a computer. Please note I'm not saying anything has happened at Indian Point - I just don't know what's going on with all the swaying and strange sirens. Could be nothing.

Thanks so much to everyone for staying with me through this and please stay safe yourselves.

Timidgal

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Not a good thing, stay safe.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Be safe Timidgal. I'm in Middletown PA and all we have is major flooding. If the ground did move - didn't notice it...too busy watching cars float by, lol. Good luck and keep us posted!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
hi Timidgal. I'm in the MidAtlantic region, Maryland to be precise. We are getting incredibly heavy rains. Sometimes in the past week I have felt vibrations in the ground and heard rumbling and gotten slight attacks of vertigo to go with it. My dog is shaking a lot these days, too. I think between the big quake and the heavy rains there is some ground movement. I have talked to several people who have noted doors and other parts of their house have seemed to shift out of alignment since the quake, yet not immediately after.

We also got one burst of thunder last night that shook my house like a brief earthquake might. I'm a bit frazzled, too, from it all, and sympathize with you.

I do think the person who critiqued your use of the term Northeast did make a valid point, given that this forum has an international readership. But these days the terms arrogant and ignorant get lobbed at U.S. Americans a lot and it can wear thin for those of us who are anything but those awful traits. I know when I make such mistakes it is not out of arrogance or ignorance, but just forgetfulness. It is easy when conversing with fellow English speakers to fall into familiar terms specific to our region, forgetting for a moment the terms may mean something entirely different to the other person. So, I hope we can all extend the benefit of a doubt to one another that no offense is meant.
edit on 8-9-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Forgot a word. Typos.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I am in Northeastern PA of the united states!!! we are having mandatory evacuations and preparations for a flood. Funny OP you mention something about an EQ, i haven't felt anything but i just said to my mom all we need is an EQ right now.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I worked as a news editor in a news agency for a while, I know in the event of such news, it takes roughly 30 mins for it to get published online.

I hope you're safe.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Timid, stay safe and let us know what is happening whenever you can. Hopefully the sirens that you're hearing are nothing of any great importance.

Im going to add my pennys worth for the location debate; Im on the west coast of Scotland and as of late there have been a number of small earthquakes in the Highland west coast area. Now if i were to come into the forum and put a heading of "Earthquake hits west coast" then i'm damned sure that there would be a number of people bitching and moaning when they suddenly realised that I meant the west coast of Scotland.

I, for the most part, usually figure out pretty early on what area 'events' are occurring in and have no beef with anyone that doesnt say exactly where their "event" is happening, but please realise that not everyone does.

As for those bitching at Starchild (think that is their name, and Timid did apologise to them) well all I can say is POT MEET KETTLE, your bitching posts at Star were just as bad as Stars post to Timid if not worse.
edit on 8-9-2011 by Ficargul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Timidgal, hope all is well...and you are okay! Ijust did a quickie check of Drudge to see if anything has been reported (nothing); and will take a look at NYC tv station webpages---your story has me quite intriqued.

FWIW, I am east of Pittsburgh, and felt no jolts here (we did stronglyu feel the first VA EQ). Susan Frey brought up (and linked to) her excellent thread about injection drilling 'fracking.' My guess though, as you are close to NYC, that youi probably have no wells--but could your area be 'undermined' (coal mined)? My neighborhood has subsidence issues (100+ y/o mines underneath). My concernss, when we have heavy rains is for further damage from water flooding into old shafts; rooms. It was the wealth of EQ threads (from net searching) that brought me to ATS in first place.

TG, sending good thoughts your way for your safety. Please check in to let us know you are well!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal
reply to post by starchild10

You know what??? I am done with always being so nice and respectful of everyone else when it is rarely reciprocated. This site used to be dominated by decent people interested in fruitful and informative conversation and now it seems like it's full of whinners. I really couldn't give two #s if I came off as being arrogant (ignorant is laughable) - I was scared and in my rush to make my post, I left off something that I would have otherwise been more conscientious about. I'm sorry but you can try to have a little compassion for a fellow human being and stop pointing out how others come off as being arrogant and ignorant.

Timidgal (NOT!!!)

edit on 9/8/2011 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

Forget about people like that OP. Some people feel entitled to an apology for going through the difficult and strenuous task of using their finger to click on a link unnecessarily!

Keep us posted if there's any more development up there. My daughter is in the Catskill's. I think they're still bailing water out of their basement from Irene so not sure if they're paying attention to rumblings.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
In an attempt to search out what you might've felt I came across this article. Seems Pennsylvania is busy digging (Fracking) for natural gas?
Could this be the culprit?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
I clicked on this because a region of the UK is commonly referred to as the North East. I think we all need reminding that this is an international forum and therefore subject headings should be specific as to the country where possible. Otherwise it just comes across as a combination of arrogance and ignorance.
If it was me posting about UK, I would say North East UK. Because I am aware people come here from different countries. Of course if it was purely a British forum, I would just say North East.
In this case it would have been better to say, North East US.
I am sure someone will say this is 'off topic' but subject headings are important and this sort of thing just keeps on coming up.
But no I have not felt anything in 'the northeast'. Not MY north east anyway.
edit on 8-9-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

Wouldnt it depend what part of UK you were in ? North East UK is Aberdeen , unless you are in Wick then its South East.

I agree, its a quagmire, its as if threads can trap you, you click on 'em without fully grasping the enormity of the error between title and topic and there you are, wasting your life away on a subject that wasnt described in a way that your mind was able to grasp, oh, the frustration and anger you must feel that creates the desire to subsequently post on the very said form who's title misdirected you thus forcing you to change the direction of said thread even more than it was before you clicked on it.

Direction wise, I'm in the middle

Hope it wasnt a quake and your all ok.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

This reply made me think of Sink hols opening up, those worry me now, I never even knew what a sink hole was years ago, it just wasn't something that was a typical every day thing unless they were created on purpose by workers, but now with all of them popping up up everywhere and the ground cracking here and there, I agree, be cautious. I don't know what state it was but a woman woke up to finding a sinkhole under her bed. Sorry I don't have the link.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Seriously I just about had it with rain once and for all.

I have been feeling the slight tremors too or rumbles or whatever they are. Only thing is I had vertigo BEFORE the quake, not so much anymore. I wonder how many more people along the NE are feeling the same? Sometimes I even check the USGS to see if there was a minor quake but usually its nothing, although for a little we did have aftershocks but the slight shaking I feel sometimes recently is not registered on the USGS. I thought it was just me, but it could be just stress from all that's happened in the past couple of weeks, earthquakes, hurricanes, storming...

Hope you are safe OP and everyone else.
edit on 9/8/2011 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: typo

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ISis12RA12ELohim

Hope present weather faults soon find a respectable level of acceptance for all, not trying to dish out forms of already known advice etc. However the best i can try and do to forward one line of thought is to offer the following;
www.weather.gov...

Perhaps a phone call to such May - in time - help find a safe answer to possible ground movement etc.
Wish you all the best, you are forever in our prayers.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Nothing shaking in CT, but I honestly have had a bad feeling all day...there is definitely strange days ahead my friends...be prepared. Energy in the air doesn't feel right.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Hi everyone. First and foremost, everything is quiet and nothing has shaken or swayed since yesterday. I logged on last night and after answering a few u2u’s, I started to post an update when my power went out (again) and this is the first I’ve been able to log back on. I wanted to thank everyone who was kind enough to send words of support and encouragement. It was really very humbling and your replies helped in ways you can’t imagine.

Long and short update is that no one knows for sure what happened yesterday or the reasons for any of it. It is very frustrating and my entire area is walking around on eggshells waiting for the next shoe to drop. What is usually an active and thriving town has been hit with a heavy feeling of dread; restaurants and stores are practically empty and people seem to be sheltering themselves and their families at home. In the last two weeks, we’ve been hit with an EQ, a hurricane and now this terrorist alert which has everyone, including law enforcement, on edge (not a good thing). At least the rain has stopped here and for those of you who were affected by the terrible flooding yesterday, I hope that you are safe and dry.

So many of you offered great suggestions and if I don’t hit on all of them, please understand as I’m trying to ensure I get this posted. The police offered no help because they had no idea what was causing the swaying (or so they say) although it was reported throughout the town. There was no answer for the strange sirens that were going off and nothing official about where all of those emergency vehicles were racing to (although the current theory is that it had some connection to the terrorist alert which had, unbeknownst to the general public until last night, been broadcast to local law enforcement that same morning). I have been assured that the building I live in suffered no substantial movement and that the foundation is solid. To be honest, we have a huge backyard which does look a bit “sunk” in the middle but the landlord had engineers checking it today and said that everything is solid with no chance of there being a sinkhole. Today was a remarkably uneventful and eerily quiet day due to the atmosphere that’s taken over the town and I’m afraid that yesterday’s events will be filed under the exponentially growing category of “unexplained events”. It’s very frustrating.

In any event, I again thank everyone for taking the time to help keep my nerves from totally unraveling yesterday. Every single reply was instrumental to that end and showed the very best of human nature; when in need, we have an amazing propensity to pull together and surround those in need with comfort, compassion and support. Be safe everyone. It makes no difference where on the globe you are – these are strange and transitional times so keep your loved ones close and wits about you.

Timidgal

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Maybe now isn't the right time to mention the fact that IF another earthquake greater or larger than the last recent "big" one in VA recently were to happen, the destruction would be a lot worse due to over saturation of the grounds... boy, it sure seems America is ready to split at the seams
edit on 9-9-2011 by Nastradamus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join