It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man found butchering cow in Utah driveway or Stay Out of My Refrigerator, Uncle Sam.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Bingo, this is more of the health concern of butchering animals in your front yard, I remember when my grandfather used to butcher and I also remember that the blood issue is important, the blood was gathered in buckets (back in the days) it was not let to run into the ground and neither the streets. I remember that is was a lot of blood coming from a large animal.

So the first thing I wonder after reading the OP is what did he did with the blood.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I would rather have beef that was dragged around a driveway than beef that was dragged around a slaughterhouse.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I once came across an italian family who were pulling
the heads off pigeons, while sitting out in the open on their front porch.
Earlier the paper-girl and her young friends witnessed this too when they went to the house, and were traumatized.
Wrong place, wrong time . . .some people just don't think.

edit on 7/9/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
A cow butchered in the driveway sounds pretty bad to me, but just tune into utube or any website.
Why? just so you can watch in living colour Iraqis and so called insurgents getting blown to smithereens with a nice audio track of the doers saying things like .....oh yeah baby go to Allah, whoooo see you on the moon rag head.
Yep all is well in this world.
S&F to the OP.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by getreadyalready

So the first thing I wonder after reading the OP is what did he did with the blood.

I wondered about that too....The lack of any substantial information and supporting details in news stories these days simply illustrates how the deplorable standards in journalism have become the norm rather than the exception. My grandkids in elementary school provided more details in their "How I Spent My Summer" papers than this AP report.

I grew up in a rural southern area. My people were either farmers or cotton mill workers. Often they did both. I remember when the menfolk did the slaughtering. After a single bullet, they'd hang the pig or cow from a huge live oak behind the house near the barns, slit its throat to drain, then they'd start the dressing and quartering. The women were always on hand and just as busy as the guys. They would have the blood buckets, did the finer cutting & trimming on the meat, salted & wrapped the hams, etc. Us kids were responsible for keeping the woodpile stacked full to stoke the fire under the huge iron kettle when they started rendering the lard. Since the blood was mostly caught, what little that spilled fell on hard packed dirt. If too big a mess was in the making, our other kids' chore was to scatter sawdust & woodchips from the wood lot to cover and absorb.

SInce the reporter didn't address whether this guy's driveway looked like a murder scene or whether he had buckets or a kiddie pool or a tarp, we can only speculate. Giving the dude the benefit of the doubt that he didn't off Elsie right there & that she was delivered to him that way, it's possible that whichever supplier he bought her from had already taken care of the rough dressing, blood & guts. Of course, not being in the meat market biz, I may be wholly wrong. Another thing, we aren't even sure that he intended to eat the meat himself. He could have been buying the cow, hide, hooves, head & horns to grind up for organic dog food !!!! Is there a law against that?

For the poster who cited having sex with his wife in the driveway as an example of inappropriate neighborly activity, I agree there's a time & place for everything, but there's also a right & a wrong way to handle situations. The nosy neighbor who speed dialed the PD obviously seems more concerned with having their offended sensabilties patched up with a show of quick official action & with making sure his neighbor's right to pursue on his own property his interests without undue interference was trampled. It wasn't like the neighbor heard the "shot", looked out the window & saw the guy hacking into a family member. He plainly told the LEOs that his neighbor was butchering a cow !!...The caller likely justified their action because, oh dear, sheltered little Junior might be emotionally damaged for life if he saw something so horrific, so unnatural. Who knows...they might be right, if Junior could tear himself away from his marathon of blasting zombies' guts all over in HD, long enough to go out & actually see real blood & a real dead cow. The round quarter-pound patty between the buns wasn't bred like that.

Here's an even more horrific image for those with fragile feelings to cope with. The look of acute hunger pinching your neighbors' faces because Dad lost his job months ago, the unemployment checks have stopped, Mom works a minimum wage job which means the household earns too much to qualify for more than $75 bucks in food stamps. Savings have been wiped out thanks to the thieves on Wall Street. Luxuries like cable & internet have gone by the wayside in favor of power & water. The second car was sold weeks ago. Gas & insurance was too much of a burden, but the $3800 helped bring the mortgage payment to where it's only two months in arrears. What was left paid for a dead cow that will feed the kids until it's gone & the next crisis kicks him in the 'nads. Offensive? Damned sure is to me. Rather than finding out what was going on with a fellow human being, it was far easier to focus on the "me,me,me, I,I,I" ego-stroke. While my rant is solely hypothetical in this case, it's a reality for far too many Americans in this day and age. If the butcher had been my neighbor, Elsie's tasty ass would have been sizzling on the grill quicker than he could have said "porterhouse."

If they do decide that a crime has been committed, then whatever little bit of money the guy might have been hoping to save will probably end up paying that amount & about 3 times more in fines, attorney's fees, court costs, gas to go to court ordered mental evaluation sessions and sensativity classes. Just another fine example of the direction society is taking...The "do unto others" has morphed into "do them before they do you." It just ain't right, folks....

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Just a guess but I'm sure the guy was butchering it in the spot the delivery person dropped the thing....I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say a dead cow is a bit harder to move around than a deer. As far as sanitation goes...I feel better about the blood of a animal my neighbor is about to eat entering the water than i do about my other do good er neighbors car wash, garden weed and bug killer chemicals not to mention all the dead mice, rats, farmer chemical run off and who knows what else enters it. lol . Our society has become so damn mucked up...

Sex Change.Ok
Boob Job..Ok
Tobacco..Ok
Alcohol..Ok
Prepare you own food...outrage!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyjem

Thanks for the experience, you are right no enough information to tell, I do remember pigs back home my father would buy them and do the slaughtering himself in the backyard, like you say the blood was gathered while the pig was hanged to drain, back home the blood of the pig is not wasted, we used it to make blood sausages.

Also the internal organs is something that has to be disposed, cleaned or used immediately as they will start to rot.

Funny, that no much information is given.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

well i think that if it was killed at a slaughterhouse, it would have been gutted and drained of blood before delivery.

after that, there would not have been too much blood left to run anywhere.

if the guy was good at butchering, no problem.

but even so, he should have done it in the garage, lol!!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Agree!!!!!! or at least in the backyard.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Other news reports suggest the neighbours heard the cow mooing as it was led up the guy's driveway, followed by one gunshot.

I wouldn't be too amused if my neighbour started with such behaviour. What if he missed or only wounded the damn thing ? We'd have mad cow running around the neighbourhood. It's a risk to health & safety, it's a public health risk and it's just plain bloody yucky.

Beef doesn't come from cows. It comes from supermarkets. That's the way it's been done since the 1950's and there's no reason to change it now.

www.standard.net...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DoubtingThomas1

Perhaps in big cities, I grew up with our meat coming from my grandfathers backyard and whenever my father bought it live and killed later.

And I am not that old.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
hey I 've butchered lots of my chickens and ducks,so what's the beef?

seriously those regulations apply to businesses selling food to the public as a corporate person
not Joe Shmo who wants to eat a cow he raises himself if they nail this guy it still won't matter all us home butchers are still going to do what we do

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Cow's Blood...maybe he was gonna make Blutwurst...Blood Sausage?

It was his property, his cow, and as far as we know...it was for his consumption. The fact that he wasn't arrested on the spot and the delay and hesitation illustrates that the authorities are trying to find an ordinance that was broken and make it stick.

Frankly, a cow butchered in the front yard is no more offensive than an obese woman in spandex at the Walmart checkout. Not pretty to look at, but not illegal either...since when is poor taste illegal?

I think a lot of people are just offended at being reminded that steaks and hamburgers come from a dead, butchered animal... doesn't bother me as I raise my own meat for consumption, but some folks hate to think of themselves as being dead animal eaters... the guilt and reminder is what is offensive to them.

Maybe after a few more months of a downturned economy and a dollar collapse, they may not be so particular.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Ive butchered cows and they're a disgusting mess of guts and goo, whom ever delivered the cow should at least gutted the bastard out in the pasture before transporting it....have you ever seen a large wheel barrow full of guts??? slaughter a cow and you will

I can see how a neighbor might find it offensive, deer aren't that big of a deal and look pretty nice seeing a nice rack hanging on the buckpole.....a cow, nothing to be proud of there and you definitely wouldn't want to leave it hanging out for 3 day's

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

think of the children!!!!!!

yeah but, if he walked a cow to the driveway, which would have better drainage than his garage or backyard,

shot the thing and butchered it, where did he get it from? do it there! there will be flys and maggots all over the place before he is even done!

lol! at least he will be charged with some kind of fire arm violation within city limits! lol!

i need to see some pics.

i'm a chef by trade and this guy is a whack-o if this is true.

i've butchered deer in my garage, seen moose hanging, elk, bear, butchered pigs that we bought and fattened them for bbq,

and like someone said, COW? if true, this guy needs some food stamps and get his gun.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I've helped a friend slaughter cattle on several occasions; more pigs and many many deer and other game.

Neighbors could have legitimate gripes.

-discharge of a firearm very near you.
How many beers will your neighbor drink before working up the "dutch courage" to shoot ole buttercup? And will he do it against the wall of his garage----or backed up against your kid's bedroom window? Does he know what he's doing? Or did he come home from the pawn shop with a shiny new pistol?

- The blood
If he's slaughtering it in his driveway, then he's letting the 15 gallons of blood run down into the street.

-The stench
Slaughtering any animal produces the funk of warm meat. Neighbors get to smell that for as long as he plans to hang it. (I assume he wants the meat to drain, and not make one giant cow-shaped scab.) Then there's the stomach contents (all four stomachs), plus the intestines, urine, feces, etc.

-The Solid waste
Dressing a cow down will reduce a 850 lb down to say, 520 lbs. But what does he plan to do with 300 lb. of bones, guts, sinew, brains, fat, gristle, veins, both stomachs and a bunch hair that comes off the hide during handling. What is the neighbor planning to do with it all---bag it and set it at the curb?

In my experience, you can butcher a deer in an hour or so, if you have a hoist. But A cow weighs 8-10 times what a deer weighs, and could take all afternoon, and that's if you have an electric meat saw. Now there's a lovely sound, while you're trying to nap through a ball game.

So yeah, I'm into processing my own meat (just look at some of my survivor threads); but that doesn't mean I think it's a trivial process or something I'd want to live next to.

-The Flies
blood draws flies faster than just about anything. I'd call that the kind of nuisance that city ordinances were designed to manage. It's why you cannot open a tannery next door to me.
edit on 7-9-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Yes, think of the children...what a real life lesson, to learn where your food comes from, to learn the sacrifice made and that yes, you need to eat it all so as not to waste the life and the effort put into processing and preserving it.

As for sanitation... slaughterhouses and processing/packing houses are not much better...ecoli outbreaks...recalls...tainted meats... as a chef...you know where quality comes from...and you also know what most people are exposed to commercially...

Where I live, lots of people slaughter and process their own meats...beef, pork, chicken, rabbits, goats...etc.

I have never known...never...anyone here that has become sick from tainted or poorly processed meat.... my friends and neighbors are already talking about and planning our hog killings for this year... one just slaughtered about 150 chickens for the freezer... at his house...this summer... he used some common sense, but he seems in good health to me.

As for getting the man's gun...why? He was exercising his rights...a nd freedoms... and we don't know...but I would guess he didn't have a criminal record...

His only crime seems to be... being frugal and self relient.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone

As for sanitation... slaughterhouses and processing/packing houses are not much better...

But they are relegated to commercial industrial zones, and not in the burbs.

It's not a problem in the country, or even a subdivision with acreage.

But what about houses on zero lot lines?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

first of all, the children thing was a joke but some people will take some yahoo shooting and butchering a cow or steer in the driveway next door to be over the line.

and that is up to the parents to inform their children where their meat comes from, not bubba with a chain saw.

especially if they are being raised vegetarian!! lol!!

the hell with this dude if he gets some ungodly disease from what he did, there is way much more to butchering a 1000lb animal off the hoof than watching it.

where did you slaughter your animals? driveway?

i buy chickens here in HK by picking them out at the market, they grab them and show me their butt, to show me hey are healthy and i take a walk for 15mins. lol!!

come back and get a warm chicken, oven ready! lololol!!

my grandad had a farm in vermont and when we ate he went to get a chicken if it was on the menu.

i've grown up with that reality.

contamination is a problem when mass producing any foods.

the cukes in germany!

e-coli in melons!

he probably violated a bunch of health and safety laws too.

personally i go for whole muscle meats and shy away from ground unless i make my own.

as for taking his gun, if he did what he did (supposedly) he could be in violation of local firearms statutes.

like i implied, coz i really didn't spell it out, i got no prob with this guy feeding his family, but cumm on!

a little common sense, ya think?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This would not be anything out of the ordinary in small town Texas.

I have seen many hunters butchering hogs and cows in Texas. the hogs may have been wild or farm raised its very hard to tell the difference.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join