It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man found butchering cow in Utah driveway or Stay Out of My Refrigerator, Uncle Sam.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

UTAH -- Authorities are considering charges after a Utah man was found butchering a cow in his driveway.

The Standard-Examiner of Ogden reports that authorities received a call Sunday afternoon from an Ogden resident who reported a neighbor cutting up a cow in his driveway.

The caller told authorities they heard what sounded like a gunshot shortly before the butchering began.

Police say when officers arrived, the man was removing the cow's head. He denied shooting the animal, and told the officers it had been delivered dead.

Prosecutors are now reviewing the case for potential charges, including possible health code violations.

Here's the Source, but I put the final line in bold print in order to emphasize how grasping authority is.

The article is short on the meatier details, but I fail to see what the beef here is. [
]...(Sorry, couldn't let the opportunity to score the first puns pass by.)

On a more serious note, I fail to see any crime in this man's actions, yet it appears TPTB feel differently, although they really seem to be stretching the boundaries of credulity....and before any animal activists out there start contributing their opinions, please keep in mind, according to the butcher, the cow was delivered, presumably from a slaughterhouse, already dead. That "gunshot" the inquisitive neighbor reported could have been a car backfiring, so we're not debating humane vs. cruel slaughter practices.

What concerns me is that TPTB, in looking at ways to find fault with this guy, appear to be applying standards meant for regulating the corporate food industries to the individual, so I did a little fact checking.

R70-530-2. Scope. This rule establishes definitions; sets standards for management and personnel, food operations, equipment, and facilities; and provides for food establishment plan review, inspection, and employee restriction. It shall be used to regulate bakeries, grocery and convenience stores, meat markets, food and grain processors, warehouses and any other establishment meeting the definition of a food establishment.
UT Admin Code R70-530

If the authorities can find a way to make this trumped up trash stick, then the door is open for Uncle Sam to poke his nose into anyone's kitchens. They will have given themselves the power to oversee and regulate every aspect of our dietary intake and the manner in which we prepare, serve, store and tidy up after each meal.

Silly?...Impossible?...Maybe not...It is doubtful that the man intended on opening a steakhouse with just a single cow, therefore it seems more logical to theorize that due to the shoddy economy & warnings of rising food costs that he intended to stock up on some meat for the family. We must speculate (since intent was not addressed in the article) that in the absence of restaurant facilites, a menu, and customers waiting to be seated that he had no intent to serve said food to the general public.

So what is his "crime"? Unsafe food preparation?...Then hunters who bring home a deer, dress & butcher it before freezing are "guilty" as well. How about those squirrels and hares? Fishermen and their day's catch? Under this type of asinine micro-interference, those would be no-no's too. For that matter, any table fare not purchased from and approved by our "federal family" can be declared unsafe & destroyed in the interest of protecting and maintaining OUR health. This guy has done nothing more than what our ancestors did to eat...actually less. They slaughtered the beeves, the pigs, the chickens themselves.

While I grant you that if I were the butcher in question I would have chosen a better place than my driveway to process the meat, but given the fact that a whole dead cow on the hoof can weigh anywhere from several hundred to upwards of a thousand pounds, unless he had a means of moving it indoors, where the truck dropped it is likely where he decided to start cutting...and if he's married, then it makes it even more easy to envision a dialogue between the couple that follows along the lines of "You don't really think you're dragging a whole dead cow in the house (which I just cleaned BTW) and start dissecting it on top of my grandmother's walnut dining table, do you?" The driveway, his own private property, seems to be the clear and logical choice for his enterprise.

Under the standards the authorities would like to apply to this case, the $64,000 question is could the average kitchen pass a Food Safety Adminstration inspection? When was the last time you hefted the fridge and the stove out of their space to sweep, mop, & degrease under, around and behind? 1984? Did the kids leave the milk out again? That's a fine. Do you have a three-compartment sink or industrial dishwasher to properly sanitize dishes and cookware? No...That's a fine. Did your wife wear gloves and a hairnet when she prepared the morning breakfast and made the sandwiches for lunch? Sorry, that's a fine too.

There are several excellent ATS threads that expose the GMO toxins the American populace consume each day, and there are several which relate mind-boggling stories of organic produce and gardens seized, their owners fined and terrorized merely because they wished to eat something better the crap the USDA signs off on. These individuals are merely the first to go in the pot of this slow frog-boiling process leading to the totalitarian nanny state.

edit on 7-9-2011 by ladyjem because: added to title

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If it was his cow so what?

Health code violations should only matter if he's selling the meat. Like the government can come into my home if I'm cooking Ramen in a dirty pot?

Once again nosy neighbors ruin somebodys life.

Makes me glad Im surrounded by farms and on agriculturally zoned property. Imagine the cops knocking because somebody called in the sound of a chicken neck snapping.

I wonder if it had been a deer would the reaction have been the same?

Homes across the country have deer hanging for processing all autumn long. Health code violations? Apparently.
edit on 7-9-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Utah is a big hunting state so my guess is if it was a deer no one would have batted an eyelash (depending on the time of year)

I think the neighbors may have thought this man was guilty of wrangling....
edit on 7-9-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyjem

He is simply exercising his religous rights.

I mean, why not
Works for everybody else no?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

It's ok if a restauraunt has rats roaches people who serve food who don't wash their hands.

God forbid you purchase a cow on your own legally and butcher it.

That's like my neighbor who slaughters his own lambs and chicken.

Hang them up slit the throat. Guess it is lamb chops for dinner tonight babe.

I know of more and more families in southern NH who are buying chickens and other small animal.

Most people are humane who butcher there own animals. They would not want the animals to suffer and more than they have to.

Do you think the people of the mass produced slaughter houses treat them with respect. I have seen the videos and they are pretty disgusting.

I am far from vegan. I eat meat fish and veg. Grown by me of the grocery store.

I am one of them.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Rocky Black because: Typo

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

No, what the neighbors thought (erroneously), is that it was any of their business. I'd be interested to know if his friendly local fusion center was involved with this. Neighbors ratting out neighbors... See what has been done to us? I'm certainly more afraid of my neighbor in terms of negative impacts to my every day life, than I am of Al Qaeda, the Taliban, or any "terrorist" for that matter.

Leave your neighbors alone. Let a guy butcher his beef in peace.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
edit on 7-9-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

Or rustling perhaps. Cattle rustling is just a stepping stone to highway robbery then the inevitable train robbing.

Yee-haw.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I used to live south of Ogden. The issue (I'll wager) is more about the run-off into the sewer system. Water for lawns is different than drinking water. It comes from different sources. That being said, depending on where he is in Ogden (city vs the bench) would make alot of difference.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyjem
So what is his "crime"? Unsafe food preparation?

Well we need more information, if he lives in a suburban neighborhood then it's likely he was violating codes and ordinances by simply having a cow there. In addition there are numerous laws addressing the humane slaughter of animals that this man may or may not have been aware of (he claims it was already dead but this is doubtful) and there are laws that vary from state to state regarding meat processing.

Originally posted by ladyjem
...Then hunters who bring home a deer, dress & butcher it before freezing are "guilty" as well. How about those squirrels and hares? Fishermen and their day's catch?

No, the laws regarding wild game are quite different than those dealing with farm animals.

I think he was most guilty of poor judgment, what idiot slaughters a cow in his driveway?? Seriously, did he expect that it wouldn't bother anyone? Personally I wouldn't want my family to see some piece of trash cutting the head off a cow in his driveway, I'd be on the phone with the police in about 2 seconds.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyjem

I can see possible Environmental Concerns with the blood, and if he tries to sell any meat, then there are other health code concerns, but otherwise there isn't anything the authorities can do here.

We had a mobile butcher come to our house once. He pulled up in a truck, shot the steer with a .22 between the eyes, winched him up in the air and went to cutting. Took about 3 hours, and we had all kinds of meat for the freezer. Then we hosed off the driveway and he went on his merry way. Neighbors never said a word, that kind of thing is common even in the somewhat suburbs of a country town. Our neighbors were within easy ear shot and eyesight of the whole thing, and nobody said a word except to request we barbeque some steaks that night!!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If the guy who was butchering the cow should be charged with anything, it should be stupidity. He was stupid for doing something like that in what sounds like a subdivision filled with people who simply don't do that sort of thing in plain view for others to see.

True, the neighbor should have minded their own business, or at the very least came out and talked to the guy before calling the cops, But the fact remains.....why was he butchering a cow in his DRIVEWAY?? Does he not know that no one else does sort of thing WHERE he was doing it? And when people see something like that they are going to get very suspicious?

If you want to stock up on meat to support your family, that's fine. That's what a man is supposed to do. But there is a time and place for everything. You don't see me having sex with my wife in my driveway do you? ( I'm not calling my wife a cow, but you know what I mean
) No. You know why? Because there are some things that other people don't NEED to see.

Surely he could've found someplace better to do this. If he has a driveway, does he have a garage?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Obviously some of you folks haven't seen a cow slaughtered.

First, even if you shoot it clean, the animal is still going to thrash about for a few seconds. Then you've got to slit it's throat ... and the amount of blood produced by that and the removal of the animal's head is quite unbelievable. For that you need to hang the animal above a very large drain.

Then you need to cut the legs off, assuming you want to sell the hide. And before you even start making up some nice steaks, you've about a carful of steaming guts and offal to dispose of.

All of that being done in your neighbour's driveway ? No-one here would object to that ?

A slaughterhouse is bad enough ...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If I walk outside one day and my neighbor is butchering a cow in his driveway, I'm dang sure calling someone. That's just crazy! Now if he says to come on over for steaks and beer, I might hold off on that phone call...just long enough!

I'm going to asume this wasn't a residential neighborhood. In a remote location, I could care less.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Why is that when a person does it in the middle of nowhere its fine but if that same person does it where other people dont typically do it it's suddenly an arrestable offense?

Sure, you might not like seeing it. Sure, you may actually be made nauseous at the sight of it. But so what? Are we all supposed to be sterile and homogenized? Is every community now a planned gated community?

Butchering meat may seem extreme but it really isnt any different than a flag or ugly gnome or basketball hoop in the front yard.

I guess I never realized just how widespread this hatred of your fellow man is among people.

I've seen deer hanging in some pretty densely populated towns. Cities even.

How many who find this objectionable also feel that the state dropped the ball when they didnt push charges against the woman with the front yard garden?

What an awful place the world has become.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Unless you are looking to make it an argument this is just something you do out of sight. Unless he was doing an excellent job of clean up it should not have been too hard to tell if the animal was killed on site. Even so its not too hard to imagine that someone might be offended and cause problems so generally its not a bad idea to keep it on the down low.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
Unless you are looking to make it an argument this is just something you do out of sight.

Hanging a deer at a garage entrance is very common. It's easy to use a hook up in the doorway and keep the bucket on the pavement and clean up is easy.

Hauling it to the backyard is an option if he even has a backyard, strong tree, winch and some other type of pole mount, but it can get dirty back there. Sloping lands make buckets tip. Flies will be bothersome.

We dont know if "driveway" really meant garage door thanks to the lack of details in the article.

You might prefer out of sight but the reality of actually doing it doesnt always permit hiding it away.

And once youve dressed it down the carcass should be left to age a bit. The cleaner the area the better. Wrapped in cheesecloth on a cool surface (back to the garage once again) is preferable with regular rotations.
edit on 7-9-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I dont disagree with your points yet I feel you have to expect a confrontation when you push the bounds of what some consider shocking

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Might have been a Homeowners Association rule come into play. They can toss you for not having your lawn cut to code.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
this has been going on before humans were humans!

i mean at least 400,000 years people gotta eat.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hey guess what I dont care if you like it or not. if I want to butcher meat in my front yard its my front yard!
YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED!!!
Pull up your big girl panties and understand you dont have a say. It not your business. Keep your nose out of it. Every one of you busy bodies that think this somehow warrants a "call to someone"are the root of the problem this country is suffering. Its you very people that utter that oh so loved phrase "there ought to be a law" and then you go on personal crusades to get your local government vermin to enact that law. What you have just said is that you have a right to use force to tell this man to process his meat away from your virgin eyes. YES I said use force. What do you think the police are? What would have happened if this man had told the police to get lost and they had tasered him causing his death? You would have caused that mans death because you did not like what he was doing. Heres a novel idea one that our forefathers would have utilized. Rather than ask others to do for them they would have went out and actually spoke with the man and asked him why he was doing what he was doing. Rather than abdicate your personal responsibility as a neighbor to armed agents of the state just ask the man!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join