It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Scientists say dolphins 'talk' like humans

page: 3
22
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45
this is just another waste of money. Fish don't talk. Next question.


Alright, so I am assuming you either
1. Are a elementary schooler that has not yet learned that dolphins are mammals
or 2. Ignorant, and think that anything that swims in the ocean is a fish.

"Nah man.. that aint no airplane, that theres a bird."

Whats a doplhin?

I thought dolphins were fish?

Grow up.




posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by ka119
 


Read most of it.

I don't think this is in any way related to intelligence.

Though dolphins are very smart, they are not as smart as man. Or at least, do not think on a level as we do.

Mankind remains the smartest. Albeit, dumber than everything if it isn't trained.


Thats just it though, animals arent considered intelligent based on how we measure it. Who are we to say? I have watched humans destroy the world 10 fold. Have I ever seen an animal drop a nuke, destroying entire cities and polluting the air for generations to come? No, I don't think they are that stupid.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne
 


Saved the biggest difference between dolphins and the rest of the animal kingdom when compared to us biologically speaking is their extremely large brain..

It's larger than ours in fact and the way it works is equally as complex as ours..

Biologically speaking dolphins are actually capable of much more complex computational abilities within their brains than our own. They have a better computer to work with..

I'm sorry but comparing dolphins to dogs is like comparing chimpanzees to mole rats..

I also find it extremely closed minded to think that out of the billions of species on this planet we are the only ones that managed to turn a bunch of grunts into a complex system of communication.

Perhaps our superiority complex is what is holding back the world of neuro biology..

For example.. The computer you are using right now is capable of tons of complex calculations and decoding abilities yet it is still slower than an earthworm's brain.
edit on 7-9-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Dolphins talk like humans?? TOTALLY WRONG. Saw a dauphin the other day & I was all like: "Yo man, whats up..you like Metallica??" He was all like: "squeak squeak"
Stupid dauphin.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119
 

We are starting to understand how other animals talk. Animals do communicate in ways which we don't understand.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Dauphins are all democrats anyway.
If we could understand them, it would be all: "whah, dauphin welfare...whah universal dauphin healthcare"
Damn liberal sealife...makes me sick.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bunnydisaster
Dauphins are all democrats anyway.
If we could understand them, it would be all: "whah, dauphin welfare...whah universal dauphin healthcare"
Damn liberal sealife...makes me sick.



Will you politely make your way off this thread? Im sure your classmates find you hilarious, but in here it just seems childish.
Thanks



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119
 

Sorry for upsetting you, just trying to lighten the mood after reading some horrific threads today.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by SavedOne
 


Saved the biggest difference between dolphins and the rest of the animal kingdom when compared to us biologically speaking is their extremely large brain..

It's larger than ours in fact and the way it works is equally as complex as ours..

Biologically speaking dolphins are actually capable of much more complex computational abilities within their brains than our own. They have a better computer to work with..

I'm sorry but comparing dolphins to dogs is like comparing chimpanzees to mole rats..

I also find it extremely closed minded to think that out of the billions of species on this planet we are the only ones that managed to turn a bunch of grunts into a complex system of communication.

Perhaps our superiority complex is what is holding back the world of neuro biology..

For example.. The computer you are using right now is capable of tons of complex calculations and decoding abilities yet it is still slower than an earthworm's brain.
edit on 7-9-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)


Your right on track there. Our egotistical minds wont even entertain the idea that we may not be the smartest creature out there. Superiority complex is our downfall, always have to be better than the next. Perhaps we are the stupid ones.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bunnydisaster
reply to post by ka119
 

Sorry for upsetting you, just trying to lighten the mood after reading some horrific threads today.



Its fine, I understand. This isnt a horrific thread though, I find it rather light hearted in fact.
I love to jab in the occasional joke here and there too, especially in dead serious threads.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119
 


1,500 people died today from cancer...40 million Americans rely on food stamps...zero Americans were hired in August 2011...approximately 48,000,000 DO NOT have healthcare...get my point?



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119
 


To put it blatantly, there is no such thing as "good" intelligence or "bad" intelligence. There is just intelligence, granted it can be in several categories: emotional, technical, linguistically, etc etc.

But the fact is, there is just intelligence. The fact animals don't drop nukes is not an indication they are better than us. It simply means they are less intelligent than us, and thus do not have the mental capacity to imagine such things.

Fact is, war s just a product of increased intelligence, or more accurately the result of sloppy understanding of intelligence. And we see militarization ever increasing the more intelligent you get. Be it the inter-species bruff ups for sex for dumber species, to the full out carnage primates wage on each other for sport. Did you know that? Sometimes apes will hunt another species of apes for no apparent reason. Sometimes yes, for food. But other times, just for social prestige. Literally genocide for pleasure.

video.nationalgeographic.com...

www-bcf.usc.edu...



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91
 


Prior to listing or trying to categorise intelligence. The first thing i gradually fell victim to was thinking perhaps more deeply. At present i have 8 large fish in one large glass tank. I love to hand feed such and my family and i have noticed how when the fish hear my voice, they swim to the top of the - near the right side - and gather to await their feed. No other voice has so far caused this to happen - that is since 1995.

Next i read once about gardening and noticed how evolution has helped certain plants make ideal survival condition for themselves. To understand what i'm trying to briefly say, please visit the 2 attached sites below and take a gaze at the photos. So with no - as far as we know it - sight ie eyes etc. how did such plants manage to study surrounding zone/s or figure out the best way to attract a Bee?? Hence the reason for deeper thinking. To add to this i am still forever amazed at the wide spread web's made by garden spiders. Even moss is full of fantastic measures, yet we - the 'Homo Sapien' species, prefer to spend maximum time and money studying space, WHY ???
mrbrownthumb.blogspot.com...

www.botany.org...

Not trying to lecture , just asking if we yet know enough ??



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by ka119
 


To put it blatantly, there is no such thing as "good" intelligence or "bad" intelligence. There is just intelligence, granted it can be in several categories: emotional, technical, linguistically, etc etc.

But the fact is, there is just intelligence. The fact animals don't drop nukes is not an indication they are better than us. It simply means they are less intelligent than us, and thus do not have the mental capacity to imagine such things.

Fact is, war s just a product of increased intelligence, or more accurately the result of sloppy understanding of intelligence. And we see militarization ever increasing the more intelligent you get. Be it the inter-species bruff ups for sex for dumber species, to the full out carnage primates wage on each other for sport. Did you know that? Sometimes apes will hunt another species of apes for no apparent reason. Sometimes yes, for food. But other times, just for social prestige. Literally genocide for pleasure.

video.nationalgeographic.com...

www-bcf.usc.edu...


I just have to disagree with you on the statement that war comes with increased intelligence.
It is proven that dolphins have a larger brain than humans. Their brain is split into four hemispheres instead of three. All of there senses are housed in one hemisphere, unlike ours which is distributed throughout the brain. Its believed that this allows dolphins to make more complex decisions well beyond our ability.
Source
Now, when you speak of intelligence you are stating it in the matter of which we see it. A given animal may be less intelligent than us, but that label is only put on it by us and how we measure intelligence. Sure, dolphins may not be able to solve complex logarithms, but that is not to say it is less intelligent than us. A dolphins definition of intelligence would be completely different from ours.
What I am saying is that there is no way to prove that we are more intelligent than other animals. Sure, we have technology and amazing feats, but thats just advanced to us. They may may see it as a waste, and that there is no need for it.
To sum it up, there is no way for us to measure our intelligence against other animals. We are intelligent in our minds, but they could be looking at us eff ourselves over (as we will eventually do) and be thinking,"what stupid animals".



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by steaming
 


It's natural selection my good man. Over at the abortion debate, whenever people use the "pain" argument, I go and tell them that cells feel pain too. They laugh at me, because cells do not have nerves. I tell them they are viewing it too anthropomorphically. Just because they don't use nerves nor electricity doesn't mean they don't feel pain. When a danger presents itself, a cell leaves the area.

However, it is important to know the difference between adaptation and intelligence. What I mention, and what you mentioned, are adaptions to an environment, not intelligence.

I leave your question with yet another question, eager to hear your opinion.

This video shows cells constructing forms and interacting.

The catch?

These are actually not cells. They are proto cells.

...They have no DNA.

Are they alive?

Are they intelligent?

If I recall, They are made of nothing more, and nothing less, than bacon fat, oil, and some household chemicals in water.


Enjoy!




That woman gave a lecture at my school a while ago. Absolutely amazing.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by steaming
 


Thats very interesting. Good way to look at it as well. Plants are in their completely own category, all my life i have believed them to have "deeper knowledge" as your speak.. but thats a whole other topic.
I have never seen those 'living stones' thats awesome.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119
 


Brain size does not equate intelligence. Crows have almond sized brains, but are more technologically intelligent than apes, producing spears to hunt bugs and tools to get food in captivity.

Humans are the most intelligent. Simple fact. Though I'd give serious consideration that dolphins are more emotionally intelligent than humans. However, they are not more sophisticated in intelligence than man.

Review my post before this one with the video.

Simple fact is, intelligence is a certain definition, and yes we can judge other organisms by it in this reality. We are the best, because we can do all these things.


oh, and dolphins do have fights and other such things. I recall reports of them fighting sharks.

Fact is, the smarter you are, the more choices you can make. And in turn, the more stupid choices.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91
 


That was absolutely fascinating to watch. I have never seen anything like it.
Honestly though, as the above poster said, I just believe there is a deeper intelligence to the world that we do not understand. With our definition of intelligence? Then yes, we are by far superior. Thats where the catch is, we cannot attribute other living systems (plants, animals, bacteria etc.) to our definition of intelligence.
See where Im going with that?
Im going to finish that video, that was interesting.



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91
 


I think we can agree with that then, there are different measures of intelligence.
As for the fighting, I was never saying they didnt, I was just stating that they dont wage wars in the ocean (as cool as that would be) The majority of times i have heard them attacking sharks is in defense, of themselves, other dolphins, even humans (which i find fascinating in itself)



posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I had never seen a dolphin before with my own eyes, until one day a female bottle nose dolphin introduced herself to us by getting caught in a local harbour.

She was eventually freed, but refused to leave our waters. I eventually plucked up the courage to go swimming with her one day, and it is an experience I will never forget, she pulled me about, nudged me playfully in the water, and chattered away to me. This was the day I realised there was more to these wonderful animals than what we think.

It wasn't like playing with a dog; there was a level of intelligence there that was greater than a dogs.

Sadly, she was found dead (presumed it was her, as dolphins are very rare in these waters) on the shore and the lack of respect shown to her corpse was sickening.

She was called Marra.

Marra is Cumbrian dialect for friend.

Here is the sad tale of her demise.

Cut up dolphin is probably Marra

edit on 7/9/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)




top topics



 
22
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join