It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say dolphins 'talk' like humans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Scientists say dolphins 'talk' like humans

www.msnbc.msn.com

While many dolphin calls sound like whistles, the study found the sounds are produced by tissue vibrations analogous to the operation of vocal folds by humans and many other land-based animals.

Similar to deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs, the researchers may then be able to figure out the meaning of dolphin calls. In addition to the whistle-like sounds, dolphins produce chirps and click trains, suggesting they engage in very complex and sophisticated social interactions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
kids.nationalgeographic.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Scientists say dolphins should be treated as 'non-human persons'

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Thats interesting. Yet another revelation that yes, we are in fact not the only intelligent life on earth. I found it fascinating that we can prove this, gives a nice *facepalm* to all the nay sayers that think animals are oblivious to interaction and communication. Itll be interesting to see if they can actually 'decipher' the sounds.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: I know the second link is to National Geographic Kids.. Hey, it helps us to dumb things down a bit at times

edit on 12/10/2010 by ka119 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I knew Flipper was cancelled by TPTB to cover up the truth!

In all seriousness, everything communicates. Ignorance doesn't give us the right to pretend, either. Of course, I'm sure our conversations matter just as little to dolphins as theirs will to us.
edit on 2011/9/7 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

could you imagine the backlash we will get from these animals once they are able to talk and we can understand them. They will hate us

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

i knew that.

S&F&
Great find. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

Seriously. We have really done ourselves in with nature. If you visited the relating article I posted, I like how we dub dolphins as "the second most intelligent creature". Who are we to say that? Ridiculous. All the animals are probably watching ourselves eff everything over, including ourselves, and just shaking their heads.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
You know when I first entered college, this field was what I wanted to study. Life took me elsewhere, but I can't help but be pleased by this news. I forwarded it to the Sea Shepherds. Figured it might be of interest to them as well

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ka119
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

Seriously. We have really done ourselves in with nature. If you visited the relating article I posted, I like how we dub dolphins as "the second most intelligent creature". Who are we to say that? Ridiculous. All the animals are probably watching ourselves eff everything over, including ourselves, and just shaking their heads.

That would be human arrogance.. nothing more, really. If one thinks about it, we have no real comparison. These creatures have lived with no hands or feet in a fully 3D environment using electricity to kill their prey for millions of years. Totally differant culture there. I am surprised we get along with them at all.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Good thread s&f

Been waiting for updates on what they find about dolphins from earlier updates on the subject and am not surprised on their advance stages but can't compare to humans per se, not fully anyway.
edit on 7-9-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Since I was a kid I thought dolphins were really smart. I would always say they were talking to each other like me and my twin sister would talk to each other as babies.

I always loved hearing the whistles and chirps and clicks... it makes me want to understand what they are saying.

I bet you could have some real deep conversation with them if we were able to understand each other.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

I never understood why we think animals are not intelligent. They have been on this planet a whole lot longer than humans, and to date, humans seem to be the most destructive to date.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/583f5dbb3e85.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

Someone taught a gorilla sign language ( michael criton used this in his book 'congo' but his gorilla is based on a real case ) and she (amy i think) told her keeper the story of when poachers killed her mother and took her from the jungle. she had the intellect of a 8-10 yr old human.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Of course they are.

They are extremely intelligent.
They understand our voice commands and hand signals. Yet we have no idea really what they're saying.

So who is really smarter?

+1 Mother Nature

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

Yup, they already have a device for it, somewhere on the web there's a article floating around were it's claim we may be able to communicate with the dolphins using a translator.

Source
edit on 7-9-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I've heard numerous stories of dolphins saving people in the ocean from drowning and shark attacks

these are wild animals choosing to help another creature just because they feel the need to..if that doesnt clue people in then i dont know what will...who knows maybe they're the ones flying the saucers everyone is seeing

"so long and thanks for all the fish"

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Genophage

haha I bet this man carries a towel everywhere he goes.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ka119

Many animals communicate thru sounds or body motions. Have you ever seen a dog with tears in its eyes because it was scolded? Animals shake with fear. They feel a range of emotions, Love, fear, security, and grief among many. Swimming with dolphins is still number 1 on my bucket list. Hopefully one day I will ge out of OHIO to do it.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Dolphins are (maybe) the Nazis of the Sea

They are not soooooo friendly and lovely as it look a like,
in fact they are Hunters and Murderers,
they do not stop even to hunt Baby Manatees ( which are Mammals too)

edit on 7-9-2011 by Human0815 because: spell

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

Dolphins are (maybe) the Nazis of the Sea

They are not soooooo friendly and lovely as it look a like,
in fact they are Hunters and Murderers,
they do not stop even to hunt Baby Manatees ( which are Mammals too)

edit on 7-9-2011 by Human0815 because: spell

Sure.. they are not really all that differant from Humans in that aspect. We kill and eat mammals and all that too.. even baby mammals.

I would find them more disturbing if they were nothing but cute and friendly all the time.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
just as i proposed in this link a few days ago...www.abovetopsecret.com... and remember the movie called "the day of the dolphin"-1973 > en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 7-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join