It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say dolphins 'talk' like humans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ka119
Thats interesting. Yet another revelation that yes, we are in fact not the only intelligent life on earth

There's no indication in the article that dolphins are highly intelligent. The article describes them using clicks as a sort of sonar to help them "see" in the water, and it also describes how they use sounds as a form of very basic communication to help them stay connected while on the move. This isn't vastly different than other animal communications, for example, wolves communicate with each other to organize hunting parties. This is a far cry from human intelligence though. Dolphins rank high in "intelligence" within the animal kingdom, but they are several orders of magnitude below humans as far as intelligence goes. When you see a dolphin creating a painting or sculpture, using tools, building a habitat or organizing a government; those would be indications of higher intelligence.

I found it fascinating that we can prove this, gives a nice *facepalm* to all the nay sayers that think animals are oblivious to interaction and communication.

How so? Anyone with a dog or cat can tell you that animals communicate with each other and with people. That's certainly no revelation.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

I don't think dolphins are hateful creatures.
That's a human quality.
Maybe they will enlighten us,

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

Thats interesting. Yet another revelation that yes, we are in fact not the only intelligent life on earth

There's no indication in the article that dolphins are highly intelligent. The article describes them using clicks as a sort of sonar to help them "see" in the water, and it also describes how they use sounds as a form of very basic communication to help them stay connected while on the move. This isn't vastly different than other animal communications, for example, wolves communicate with each other to organize hunting parties. This is a far cry from human intelligence though. Dolphins rank high in "intelligence" within the animal kingdom, but they are several orders of magnitude below humans as far as intelligence goes. When you see a dolphin creating a painting or sculpture, using tools, building a habitat or organizing a government; those would be indications of higher intelligence.

Dolphin's do use tools, so your point is invalid.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
They smell like humans,too!!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Well unfortunately all higher [Intelligent or highly organized] creatures on Earth show signs of aggression.

Chimpanzees, Dolphins, live in tight knit groups [Families - Pods etc] and have been observed waging War or doing battle with others of the same species. Usually over territory or food supply. This in itself shows a very high level of cognitive abilities. They are obviously thinking of a potential threat then decide to eliminate that potential threat. That process of contemplation requires a higher understanding of self and the group.

Unlike a typical predator such as a Lion, Tiger or Shark which will mainly kill for food or if threatened. The insect world also shows signs of this higher cognitive ability, especially among Ant, Termites and Bee colonies sometimes [Wasps and Hornets] They will wage war to eliminate the competition for the surrounding resources.

I watched a documentary recently on a related group of larger porpoises the Killer Whales [Which are basically large Dolphins] off the California Coast. They apparently banded together and started hunting and killing the Great White sharks in their territory.

It may be worth noting that all the larger above mentioned higher intelligent creatures are carnivorous.
edit on 7-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree with you, but is that hate? Or is that survival?
2nd

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
i have known about this for years. didn't the ancient greeks communicate with dolphins?
i have read tons of books on this as well.

the dolphins are going to be furious, and say, why do you kill us?
imagine if they demanded rights as a new independent people.

link   

edit on 9-7-2011 by rogerstigers because: silly rhetorical comments made while distracted by conference calls are subject to automatic deletion upon re-reading.

link   
reply to post by dantanna

They are pretty independent.
They live in the ocean.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Hate doesn't blind me.
And Hate doesn't prevent destruction, it promotes it.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

I agree with you, but is that hate? Or is that survival?
2nd

That's a good question.

There is no doubt that Chimpanzees and Dolphins have been observed expressing anger. So the next step would be hate, no?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

You don't have to express hate to be angry.
On the other hand, IMO you can't have hate without anger.
I guess we will never really know for sure.
It is something to think about though.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There has already been discussion to make "Dolphinese" an official language (Can't find the link right now but I read it in an ATS thread in something like 2005/2006)...so this news is rather old save for the possible "Rosetta Stone" in the movements associated with their speech patterns...Great Thread...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

lol. Don't forget your towel!

But seriously, the idea that we can actually have a conversation with animals right now(apes that have learned sign language) blows my mind, and I find it so incredibly fascinating. There are so many practical applications for this we've never experimented with, and we're learning more and more about our animal brethren every day. I can't wait for next development in communication between us and dolphins.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Of course they are.

They are extremely intelligent.
They understand our voice commands and hand signals. Yet we have no idea really what they're saying.

So who is really smarter?

+1 Mother Nature

Exactly. Im pretty sure we are the ones who have it wrong.. I dont see dolphins waging war against each other, driving environmentally detrimental machines, or any of the other numerous "human" attributes.

edit: just read your above post Slayer, what I meant by war..
war/wôr/
Verb: Engage in a war.
Noun: A state of armed conflict between different nations or states or different groups within a nation or state.

With armed being the key word. Sure, they fight. But they dont obliterate cities and inflict countless civilian casualties.
edit on 12/10/2010 by ka119 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Ah man..i know i sound like a weirdo, but i have so much respect for dolphins! Not only are they considered some of the most intelligent species, but yet they continue to be mysterious and somehow human-linked...stories of dolphins saving humans from drowning and the like.You know the saying the only friend you'll find at sea is a dolphin? The fact that we have more genetic ties to dolphins than previously realized. On that note, have any of you ever heard of the aquatic-ape theory? I havent looked too much into it, and I dont think it's got much scientific support, but basically it's a theory that humans evolved from aquatic apes, and before that, dolphins. It just puzzles me that we can't really put our finger on what is the common ancestor for a dolphin..

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
this is just another waste of money. Fish don't talk. Next question.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by littlefinch
On that note, have any of you ever heard of the aquatic-ape theory? I havent looked too much into it, and I dont think it's got much scientific support, but basically it's a theory that humans evolved from aquatic apes, and before that, dolphins. It just puzzles me that we can't really put our finger on what is the common ancestor for a dolphin..

The AAT has been around for 30 years or so. It is interesting how many aquatic traits humans have such as hairlessness and the gasp reflex plus our astonishing ability to swim. The theory never really caught on with the "experts" partly because a woman is it's strongest proponent.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I flagged this because I was thinking the other day - how many languages of other animals can we actually interpret - NONE. We are clueless with most animals. We can interpret dogs body language but the subtlety of say dogs howling, if there is any subtlety - we just don't know. It would be fair to assume that any pack animal must have a good communication range for organised hunting. Then so should any animal that nurtures its young?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

Read most of it.

I don't think this is in any way related to intelligence.

Though dolphins are very smart, they are not as smart as man. Or at least, do not think on a level as we do.

Mankind remains the smartest. Albeit, dumber than everything if it isn't trained.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join