It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I hope I put this in the proper forum. this is big, people.

Scientists scanning the deep interior of Earth have found evidence of a vast water reservoir beneath eastern Asia that is at least the volume of the Arctic Ocean. The discovery marks the first time such a large body of water has found in the planet’s deep mantle. The finding, made by Michael Wysession, a seismologist at Washington University in St. Louis, and his former graduate student Jesse Lawrence, now at the University of California, San Diego, will be detailed in a forthcoming monograph to be published by the American Geophysical Union.

More on this story here: www.livescience.com...

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

A bit misleading title,big nonetheless.
Its not a real ocean,but the water is stored in the rock.

“It would still look like solid rock to you,” Wysession told LiveScience. “You would have to put it in the lab to find the water in it.”

S&F nice news.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Thats amazing. I know of the underground lake in Omaha, but a body of water with comparable volume to the Atlantic Ocean?! Thats unbelievable! Isn't the deep mantle under tremendous heat too? That wouldn't create conditioons for a water volcano of sorts? So much for our depleting fresh water. nah jk i know thats still a real issue. but look who is holding the aces now. Asia has the water, the North America has the oil. No wonder we can't get along.

edit: sorry, arctic, not atlantic
edit on 6-9-2011 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The fountains of the deep.

PR 8:27 I was there when he set the heavens in place,
when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,

PR 8:28 when he established the clouds above
and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,

PR 8:29 when he gave the sea its boundary
so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.

GE 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.

edit on 6-9-2011 by XplanetX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Fascinating! Don't tell T. Boone Pickens about it, or he will try to buy it!

Let's hope the tectonic lube doesn't dry up too much, like they speculate for Venus. We'll have to expand the Richter scale!

Peace,
spec
edit on 6-9-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

Arctic Ocean, not Atlantic. Still big...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

I wouldn't call it a fountain. None the less still an interesting find, we still have a lot to learn about Earth.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Cool. Didn't they find a huge river under the Amazon, too? It isn't very hard for me to believe there might be a "hollow earth" - not meaning there is no core, rather, a huge complex of underground tunnels that is at least scale to our major cities.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Scientists scanning the deep interior of Earth have found evidence of a vast water reservoir beneath eastern Asia that is at least the volume of the Arctic Ocean. The discovery marks the first time such a large body of water has found in the planet’s deep mantle. The finding, made by Michael Wysession, a seismologist at Washington University in St. Louis, and his former graduate student Jesse Lawrence, now at the University of California, San Diego, will be detailed in a forthcoming monograph to be published by the American Geophysical Union.

The source says the water is locked up in rock and would just look like rocks to the eye.

If this can happen here there's no reason it couldn't happen on other planets in the solar system, Mars for example.

Once extracted that's a lot of water for prospective astronauts to drink!
edit on 6/9/2011 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
ocean? they have the nerve to call this an ocean?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by XplanetX

GE 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.

So the big man invented the bidet?

edit on 6-9-2011 by Cyanhide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide

Originally posted by XplanetX

So the big man invented the bidet?

edit on 6-9-2011 by Cyanhide because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
the date of this news article is 28 February 2007 Time: 08:28.
little bit late.
edit on 6-9-2011 by Silend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Very interesting fine autowrench
. Now just understanding the softer material that is behaving as a SPONGE to this liquid.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Talk about getting water from a stone!!!!

Just had to say it.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

edit on 2011-9-6 by tomten because: scrapped the comment :-)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I imagine that is many of these under ground oceans and lakes inside Earth, after all earth plates move constantly opening passage for surface water deep into earth crust.

I will love to see what kind of life could be found in that ocean water.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Kind of old news.

There were two books by Steven Baxter called Flood and Ark about that "ocean" leaking into the worlds main bodies of water filling the earth until everything was covered.

It is mud, not really open water. Not really even mud.........

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

I wonder if aliens are living there too...where there is water, there is life....

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Given that water is even more valuable than oil it would appear that China may be sitting pretty. India, Pakistan and Mongolia are all are great need of fresh water supplies.
Funny how rivers once made land easy to settle and harness for power, allowing the US to become a superpower.
Next, underground aquifers will dictate who has the resources to sustain economic growth.
Amazing stuff. Just when you think you know all there is to know about you own planet.
edit on 6-9-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join