It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I hope I put this in the proper forum. this is big, people.

I couldn't disagree more, it's very small, only one tenth of one percent:

The researchers estimate that up to 0.1 percent of the rock sinking down into the Earth’s mantle in that part of the world is water, which works out to about an Arctic Ocean’s worth of water.
So rocks are 99.9% rock and 0.1% water? That's a very small amount of water, but I've known that rocks contain a small amount of water or oil for decades, since I'd analyze the content of rocks underground for water or oil as a service contractor to oil companies. The rocks usually had either water or oil, and I could measure the rocks with an array of scientific instruments to tell what the content was. For example, salt water is more conductive than oil, so a conductivity instrument was one of the tools I used to help my clients detect the oil. There was water everywhere in the rocks, in small amounts ( the oil was more rare) so this really isn't news to me.

There's really no big news here, the only thing new is how deep they are finding it, but according to the article, they just haven't looked that much before. Since all the rocks above have water or oil in them, there's no reason to suspect that deeper rocks wouldn't have water or oil in them too.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I wasnt even imagining soemthing like this. I hope to hear more about it.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

thats a lot of water

i have no doubt this place would harbour a lot of life

water + heat = life

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Makes you think when Military Organizations are creating D.U.M.B (Deep Underground Military Bases) everywhere that maybe they know a little bit more than we know when it comes to what lies beneath earths surface.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul

thats a lot of water

i have no doubt this place would harbour a lot of life

water + heat = life

this is a little bit out of my usual forums...
but couldn't said life be the next world killing pandemic, like a super virus or something in that nature
Just some food for thought. these isolated environments could house our demise

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Well, that, along with all of the other underground bodies of water that have been discovered over the years gives people the answer to their question about where all the non-rain water came from in Noah's Flood!

Genesis 7:11(KJV)
11In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Double pizzle..

Scroll to the next
edit on 6-9-2011 by LightWarrior11 because: iPhone double posting and being suck

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XplanetX

The fountains of the deep.

PR 8:27 I was there when he set the heavens in place,
when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,

PR 8:28 when he established the clouds above
and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,

PR 8:29 when he gave the sea its boundary
so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.

GE 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.

edit on 6-9-2011 by XplanetX because: (no reason given)

What is "pr" and "ge"? Being creative?
edit on 6-9-2011 by LightWarrior11 because: Ok maybe its genesis but pr?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeramie
Well, that, along with all of the other underground bodies of water that have been discovered over the years gives people the answer to their question about where all the non-rain water came from in Noah's Flood!

Genesis 7:11(KJV)
11In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

Instantly, I thought, oh so a large CME/flare will be directed at earth, then earth will start to heat up, the ice water melts and floods the world...but g-d said he wouldn't flood the earth a second time as shown by a rainbow..

Or it's ice water for people in hell cause they do want it so badly as I learned as a adolescent, lol.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LightWarrior11

Total tangent. and Mods probably should delete it.

Why do you spell it "G-D"??

You realize the original Biblical name for god was not even spelled G.O.D. right?

Do you really think "God" would be offended by you spelling it G.O.D.?

So weird...........

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Reminds me of this -

Ogallala Aquifer

Could this be the Asian equivelant?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Can I just raise a point that all this talk about water is just conjecture. All they have stated is that “seismic waves appeared to dampen, or “attenuate,” and also slow down slightly. “Water slows the speed of waves a little,” Wysession explained. “Lots of damping and a little slowing match the predictions for water very well.” … therefore there is a possibility that it may not be water at all.

That being said though, the conclusion drawn by the researchers could be supported by the findings of the Russian drilling teams at the 12,262 metre deep Kola Superdeep Borehole. Between depths of 5 to 10 kilometers, “the rock there had been thoroughly fractured and was saturated with water, which was surprising. This water, unlike surface water, must have come from deep-crust minerals and had been unable to reach the surface because of a layer of impermeable rock” – source ‘Wikipedia’ en.wikipedia.org...

Just my 2 cents worth

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 17sok

Right, but how does one account for the fact that sound waves travel faster in liquid / gas than they do in air.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
misread the post.

sorry
edit on 6-9-2011 by underspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Not quite sure what you're getting at? I wasn't saying there isn't water down there... I spose I was just trying to raise a point to the people who get carried away with the ole 'what if' scenarios (about aliens and such), and trying to get peoples minds back on track about the article and the ideas contained in it
I think it's a fascinating subject, and it highlights how little we collectively know about what's going on beneath our feet sometimes.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Gives you pause when you think about the flood waters rising from the fountains of the earth.
edit on 7-9-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I believe in the hollow earth theory. If you want to know more about it click on this link below. Its about time someone else finally came out about something they have found. Admiral Byrd had a flight into the hollow earth in the 1940's. Here are some resources to back my beliefs in the hollow earth.

Hollow Earth

Youtube link

Coast to coast

I don't know what to believe anymore, but this is pretty crazy!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Grifter81

The source says the water is locked up in rock and would just look like rocks to the eye.

If this can happen here there's no reason it couldn't happen on other planets in the solar system, Mars for example.

An intriguing idea, to be sure, and possibly could have tremendous ramifications...(for the preponderance of life in the Universe).

I thought this also. Essentially an otherwise barren planet could have water locked up deep within its crust. Interesting to say the least!

I imagine its possible microbial life could survive down there with water and by assimilating any natural minerals present.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Great find friend! The discoveries we seem to find on earth every day always amaze me. S&F

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
There goes another precious bit of Earth. Now all we have to do is wait and watch the humans try and 'claim' it like they do with everything else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join