It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Labor Day....Union and proud of it.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
Well them, and the idiot americans who buy chinese.

Key phrase there.
If a company wants to move to China, use slave labor, sell us crap, and send the profits offshore then I have no clue why someone like Neo would continue to buy anything from them.
Let companies move overseas. Let them jack up prices. I do not need to buy their crap if they are not going to support the country I live in.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Calm down, calm down, just take time to take a big breath and think about what you posted just now.

America used to be very prosperous, what do you think happen, just take your time.

People that make good money is the last reminding working class that pays most of the taxes in the nation so the 50% that pays nothing have something like welfare and Medicaid to help them out.

If everybody in the a nation were making minimum wages, then who would pay for those less fortunate, the rich? dear the rich in this nation are making a killing thanks to tax brakes.

Our nation is going back wards because all those good paying jobs are going away, at least is still some unions out there that are keeping workers making a meaningful living.

Just because corporations has move out and left nothing but crap for the rest of the working poor we should not blame those that still make a good living.

In America of today, most people that work still need government assistance.

That is a fact.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by aching_knuckles

25 million unemployed another 50 million on welfare and all those pro union pundits push

1000 thousand jobs where their can be 10,000 created but nope lets get paid without a thought to anyone else.

So why not blame the politicians and the corporations that sent all those jobs overseas instead of your neighbour who happened not to get screwed like you?

Man, you're just making it easier for them to screw you when you end up shilling for them.

On another note...still buying Chinese?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yes, I did the damn work as a wrangler/supporting. Many production companies make movies on the "float" or on a contingency basis. When they make money you will receive your residuals. Except that thru out the course of distribution the film gets sold to another production company, paper work gets "lost" and the money promised to the cast and crew gets forgotten about. And you are SOL unless you have a union/lawyers to track down the scumbag thieves that don't want to make good on the contracts. This happens all the time and that's why we need union representation as an individual you are SOL and will just get blown off and ignored.

Just asking since I no nothing of how your business works. Seems pretty stupid way of doing business except for the residuals part. You didn't state who is paying your wages? Union? Privately funded..etc.? Corporations?
I would think you have a copy of your paper work as everyone else associated with the production to verify it?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Don't blame him he doesn't understand that one of the reason we have nothing but crappy jobs a dying economy and unemployment is because our government had allowed corporations rob workers from their rights that our parents fought so hard thanks to unions to achieve.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

25 million unemployed another 50 million on welfare and all those pro union pundits push

1000 thousand jobs where their can be 10,000 created but nope lets get paid without a thought to anyone else.

fat cat union people getting paid 100,000 bucks a year are more important than that person making 10,000.

and for the record insult me and then think you can have a conversation with me the trolls on ats are those idiots who go around calling other ats posters jackasses.

or do i need to link it.

You say 10,000 now.

How much longer do you think it will take till the poverty level worker is fighting amongst themselves just to work for food.

So keep sitting there screaming all by yourself.

I'll be over here with thousands behind me standing with solidarity....

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
reply to post by whaaa

Just asking since I no nothing of how your business works. Seems pretty stupid way of doing business except for the residuals part. You didn't state who is paying your wages? Union? Privately funded..etc.? Corporations?
I would think you have a copy of your paper work as everyone else associated with the production to verify it?

I thought I made it clear that the production companies pay the wages. And while the film is being made usually you are paid union scale unless you sign a waiver. But it's the residuals from a huge movie where you really get paid.
Of course you have the paper work; that's the evidence the lawyers use to sue the thieving scumbags that want to screw you out of the contracts THEY signed!!!

It's not really all that complicated. Two parties sign a contract and both are expected to live up to the agreement. The cast and crew work their butts off in good faith but it's the Companies that try and weasel out of the deal. That's why we need a union to represent us. Understand now?

"The entertainment industry is a long narrow, plastic money trench where thieves and scumbags run free and good men die like dogs. There's is also a negative side." HST
edit on 5-9-2011 by whaaa because: r5r

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

fat cat union people getting paid 100,000 bucks a year are more important than that person making 10,000.

and for the record insult me and then think you can have a conversation with me the trolls on ats are those idiots who go around calling other ats posters jackasses.

or do i need to link it.

But can't you see? Your entire post is based upon your emotionally fueled speculation.

People are unemployed in mass because in 2008, the economy imploded, that had to do with Banks
and the elite financial operatives, not the existence of union membership and activities.

edit on 5-9-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I suggest a new thread that deals with the pro's and con's of Unions.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrenchOsage

Frankly, I don't have the energy, so I'll just say "Solidarity Forever!"

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Isn't that what this one morphed into?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

There have been plenty of those, and they always turn into flame-fests.

And personally, I agree with having private sector unions, but public sector unions are not needed seeing as the government are their employers, and not an evil corporation. If a private sector union is too greedy, demands too much, and kills the business they are working for, the workers pay with their jobs. If a public sector union gets too greedy and demands too much from their employer, the taxpayers pay, especially if Democrats are in the majority.

I know not everyone has this viewpoint, especially those with their hand in the till profiting in some way by a union. Oh well.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Sheetmetal Union here.

I agree 100 percent.............

Happy labor day. I hope you made it a good one.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Apprentice in the IBEW outside line construction union here, just saying that my union literally provides me with the safest work place in my industry. OSHA has nothing on the rules and regulations that my union puts upon my employers, and i wouldn’t have it any other way.

edit on 5-9-2011 by crimsongod21 because: add image.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Ford UAW here, five geneations deep & proud of it.

Happy Labor Day to one & all.

Solidarity Forever!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I have no problem with trade unions... Except when their leaders declare war on us ordinary Americans and incite their members to violence against us by saying he and his members are ready to 'take us out'.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbarnhart
I have no problem with trade unions... Except when their leaders declare war on us ordinary Americans and incite their members to violence against us by saying he and his members are ready to 'take us out'.

All unions are attached at the hip especially due to the 'business' they're in, and the public sector unions are under pressure in the current economic environment. Those are the unions Hoffa, Obama, and Biden are trying to influence mostly to support the 'Permanent Vacation' Barry/'Drunk Uncle' Joe ticket in '12.

Until something happens connecting Hoffa's threat today to an actual act of violence by the union or representative of the union, then I'd take what Hoffa says with a grain of salt. I'm just surprised he hasn't wound up under the 20 yard line of some football field yet, like his dad.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I served my Apprenticeship in IBEW 340 and was a long time believer. I left IBEW 340, at great personal cost, once I realized "we" were controlled by a cabal of businessmen who had no affiliation with our rank and file.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
We plant maintenance folks fell under "ironworkers" at the aluminum extrusion plant I worked in: when the union(national ?regional;? ) reps flew in on Friday to "negotiate"our contract they were met at the small regional;airport by the management,. they were whisked "up north" to the owners resort like "cabins"for a weekend of b-b-q drinking and professionally guided fishing to get ready to "negotiate" on Monday.They "negotiated" "the best we could get in a tough global economy." Thanks guys seeya' in two years...They were clearly firmly in the hip-pocket of management and we paid their dues every month(no choice).Seemed alot like a"protection" wracket.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Happy labor day. International Longshoremen Association here. I have to say I've worked both the union labor side, and management. I used to be a supervisor at that large dirt colored worldwide shipping company. It was a salaried position, part time. Paid for a 5.5 hr work day 14$/hr. No benefits. Forced to work 7/8 hr a day.

Under my higher UPS, I suffered harassment, threats, and constant undermining in front of my employees. The "anonymous" harassment tip line was not so anonymous as many workers and supervisors found out so I couldn't help myself. I was passed for promotion because they said I was too effective at my job than if I were to be promoted to a position where I'm not responsible for directly working with crews.

They also said it I was passed over because they didn't like that I had a good rapport with the union. They treated the workers like crap and since I didn't follow their example, they treated me like crap. Even though whatever area I was in outperformed any other.

Now my ILA job pays me fair for every hour I work. I have benefits and a pension. My union president, fat cat that he is, pulls in a whopping 10grand a year for his trouble. Small union in my city since the st. Lawrence seaway opened. The union fights for it too, because the company tries to take more and more away every contract. They even reopened the contract to cut back our health insurance recently. But we are still doing ok thanks to them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join