It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Labor Day....Union and proud of it.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
AFTRA/SAG

If it weren't for my union affiliations the productions companies would take advantage of our years of training and skills learned on the job and barely pay us while they raked in the profits from TV and Films we work on.

If it weren't for my union affiliations I would never have gotten paid at all for many productions.

I waited 9 years to get paid for "Young Guns" a film that made millions, but refused to pay the cast and crew until the SAG lawyers sued them. This is not uncommon!

In unity there is strength!

OK.........conservative right wingers........Call me a "Union Thug" and "duped" or a "people like you"...we have all heard it many times before.
edit on 5-9-2011 by whaaa because: 4f4

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Support unions all the way.

With giant mega-corporations and Republicans doing all they can to destroy them and remove all the gains made by American workers we need to support them or else we will be back to child labor, dangerous conditions and slave wages. Unions benefit us all.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Sometimes I forget how crooked the film industry is Whaa.. I know SAG has done a whole lot for the little guy. Good for you and good for your members.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
...just 9yrs?... i've been waiting 32+ years to get paid for REAL labor (childbirth, multiple times)... maybe i need to form a mama's union, huh?... jk...

...happy labor day, mista whaaaaaaa....

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
AFTRA/SAG

If it weren't for my union affiliations the productions companies would take advantage of our years of training and skills learned on the job and barely pay us while they raked in the profits from TV and Films we work on.

If it weren't for my union affiliations I would never have gotten paid at all for many productions.

I waited 9 years to get paid for "Young Guns" a film that made millions, but refused to pay the cast and crew until the SAG lawyers sued them. This is not uncommon!

In unity there is strength!

OK.........conservative right wingers........Call me a "Union Thug" and "duped" or a "people like you"...we have all heard it many times before.
edit on 5-9-2011 by whaaa because: 4e4

Okay, this wasn't said by some yahoo off the street or a disgruntled Union worker walking a picket line. This statement came from one of THE top Union leaders in the world.

Hoffa Jr seems to feel strongly about his fellow Americans

On this same day that headlines are screaming the above statement to the world, I'm supposed to feel even remotely friendly toward anything Union related? Wow...Now that does take some courage to post up. I'll enjoy my Labor Day but it comes despite Unions, not because of them. Just my humble opinion and said with civility, unlike Hoffa and other Union heads recently. So much for toning down the fighting words.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Steel checking in...Happy Labour Day and R.I.P. Jack Layton!

edit on 5-9-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: everyone likes pictures.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Happy Labor Day back to you!

Got to love unions, especially when they steal from taxpayers! I do have to admit our country would not be where it is today without them.

Uni on leader draws lucrative pension perk based on false information

Every month, Thomas Villanova gets a $9,000 reminder of how lucrative it can be to serve as a union leader in Chicago.

The sum is part of a city pension that comes on top of the $198,000 annual salary he is paid to represent the interests of thousands of city workers.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

So if I post a doctor that stole from people, that proves all doctors are bad right? Gosh, I wonder if I can find one instance of medicare or medicaid fraud out there from a doctor. It is pretty weak to try to bash all of anything based on your example.

There are bad people in unions just like there are bad people in law enforcement, healthcare, the entertainment industry. If you really believe your post makes a valid point we can label everything as evil in just a few moments with just a few examples.

Can anyone make the case that unions are more bad than good or just that sometimes some bad stuff happens just like in everything else?
edit on 5-9-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

Just posted as an example of the corruption within the public sector unions, Kitilani. I know certain people see them as saving the 'little people' from the 'big meanies', and that's exactly what the union leaders want you to think while they rake in the taxpayer dollars, like the guy in the article.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Just posted as an example of the corruption within the public sector unions, Kitilani. I know certain people see them as saving the 'little people' from the 'big meanies', and that's exactly what the union leaders want you to think while they rake in the taxpayer dollars, like the guy in the article.

I know you just posted an example of corruption. That is exactly what I just said.

What are you responding to? Did you not read my post or not understand it? You posted an example. I commented on it. You respond to tell me you were just posting an example?

Uh ok.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Happy Labor Day back to you!

Got to love unions, especially when they steal from taxpayers! I do have to admit our country would not be where it is today without them.

Uni on leader draws lucrative pension perk based on false information

Every month, Thomas Villanova gets a $9,000 reminder of how lucrative it can be to serve as a union leader in Chicago.

The sum is part of a city pension that comes on top of the $198,000 annual salary he is paid to represent the interests of thousands of city workers.

...cuz Lord only knows...management plays it straight and corporations look after you! That's why your tax cuts for the rich are so good at creating jobs. And the government evens the playing field for industry by stripping regulations, Hay...it worked with the banks!!

Sorry...don't just thank unions for your Labour Day...thank them for the whole damn weekend,,,all 52 of them.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

edit on 5-9-2011 by whaaa because: 4f4

People like you are just union thugs that have been duped. But you've probably heard it all before.

I'm not part of a union, and never will be if I have a choice. Though it's unlikely I will be able to dodge it as I intend to teach high school. I've never been paid unfairly, never been abused at work, never had unreasonable hours, none of the things that unions supposedly "protect" us from. But I don't have (much) of a problem with private unions. They do absolutely cause the price of union made products to increase, which is unfortunate, but it's still mostly a personal choice. And I'm all about personal choice.

The unions I have a problem with are public, and they are for the same reasons that FDR himself had a problem with. Public unions hijack the American public. When public worker pay goes up, taxes go up. Simple economics 101 that absolutely can not be refuted. Well, it can be refuted by morons, I guess.

Anyway, I'm glad you feel that you have a security blanket that "protects" you from the evils of business owners. A union is obviously right for you, and if you feel good about it, then good on you.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Why do you need a Union to get payed for a movie? Did you do the work? Why 9 yrs later for pay? I get payed every week or 2 weeks. Waiting to get payed 9yrs later makes no sense, unless you can elaborate? I find that interesting, union or not?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Actually Johnny I thank my non-union private sector job for the 52 weekends per year. And personally, I had nothing to do with what you are giving me credit for. Thanks anyways.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Well I know when I have had a problem getting screwed at work, I call my 3 Million dollar, pre retained,
legal team, continue on at the job like nothing is happening, all while litigating for several years

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Unions have earned a bad rap among the younger generations this days that are ignorant of the ugly but in many instances beneficial influence of the union.

Yes like anything power corrupt, but unions were the ones that made possible for the working class to have rights.

Sadly now a days unions are been run to the ground and what we have in return, nothing but low wages, a dying highly educated working class and nothing to look for after retirement, if you are lucky enough to retire with anything, if you are lucky enough to be able to stay with a company more than a few years before they are chipped oversea or replace you with a foreigner.

whaat I hope your post is not sarcastic.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
The unions I have a problem with are public, and they are for the same reasons that FDR himself had a problem with. Public unions hijack the American public. When public worker pay goes up, taxes go up. Simple economics 101 that absolutely can not be refuted. Well, it can be refuted by morons, I guess.

You'll change your mind once you are teaching. For starters, unions are about much more than wages. I was a Chief Steward in an institution much like the one you are in now...and I was a busy, busy guy. Not once did it concern wages. No business is unionised that doesn't richly deserve it.

You want to cite Economics 101, why not examine how your manufacturing sector disappeared? And who let it happen? Corporate America sure watched your back on that one, didn't they?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Most of the problem many have with unions is nothing but propaganda and ignorance of the history of our nations working class status.

Sadly because the bad reputation of many union leaders and corruption the bad over shadow the good.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
yeah give it up for unions and hollywood where 90 % of films are shot in canada

hip hip horrah not

the union first the union only where the individual matters naught but the collective does.

reminds me of the borg we will assimilate you and you will like it.

as an ex union member for a decade of my life heres the fact of life not everyone who has been in a union has never been given the choice to be in one want a job your union and you have no choice in the matter

pay dues every month you have no choice in the matter they take your money and buy off politicians you have no choice in the matter.

yeah unions are great aint they.

meh

feel free to respond dont really care but i EARNED my contempt for union where their philisophy is " i get paid by the hour not the work they do" and if you aint got senority your nothing.

the elite ruling class within a ogranization that is suppose to be for the common man,

blah
edit on 5-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by The Old American

You'll change your mind once you are teaching. For starters, unions are about much more than wages. I was a Chief Steward in an institution much like the one you are in now...and I was a busy, busy guy. Not once did it concern wages. No business is unionised that doesn't richly deserve it.

You want to cite Economics 101, why not examine how your manufacturing sector disappeared? And who let it happen? Corporate America sure watched your back on that one, didn't they?

I won't change my mind. I'll take advantage of it. Then when I'm able, I'll escape to teaching college/university.

I never said non-union was perfect. I can admit that the free-market has flaws, greed being the main one. But unions are exactly the same as they're just as greedy and self-serving as corporations are.

/TOA
edit on 5-9-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join