It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Labor Day....Union and proud of it.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Happy Labor Day.
Sheet Metal Workers Union, Building Trades Journeyman.
The "evil" business owner that I work for is also a Sheet Metal Workers Union Building Trades Journeyman.
You wouldn't have things like 40 hour work weeks and overtime pay if unions hadn't fought for them.
Whether your union or not, unions have benefited all workers.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Most of the problem many have with unions is nothing but propaganda and ignorance of the history of our nations working class status.
Sadly because the bad reputation of many union leaders and corruption the bad over shadow the good.

Amen...power corrupts. The loss of a manufacturing economy (funny...stuff ain't that much cheaper...where'd the margin disappear to?) has stripped the working class of good paying jobs that kept the bar high for all workers and enriched the surrounding communities. China prospers...Detroit decays. Are the cars any cheaper (where did that darn margin get to?)

So...pit the new have-nots against the haves, who still retain a degree of protection, and you create a race to the bottom.

Once again, with corporate America picking up the pieces and doling them out on Wall Street. Nice.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Unions have a place, but that place needs an update to fit with the reality of the present, IMO.

Is Organized Labor A Decaying Business Model

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

oh they have thats why we hear andy stern go "workers of the world unite" they have run business out of here and now they have their globalist agenda.

kill business make things more expensive to make and buy but hey aint it great they get paid 100 bucks an hour and have 8 weeks of vacation and have their holiday pay and double time and triple time.

you know like get paid for nothing when they do produce anything that warrents to be paid for.

all they have done is trade one master for another and they go "yes more please"

link   

Originally posted by neo96
yeah give it up for unions and hollywood where 90 % of films are shot in canada

hip hip horrah not

the union first the union only where the individual matters naught but the collective does.

reminds me of the borg we will assimilate you and you will like it.

as an ex union member for a decade of my life heres the fact of life not everyone who has been in a union has never been given the choice to be in one want a job your union and you have no choice in the matter

pay dues every month you have no choice in the matter they take your money and buy off politicians you have no choice in the matter.

yeah unions are great aint they.

meh

feel free to respond dont really care but i EARNED my contempt for union where their philisophy is " i get paid by the hour not the work they do" and if you aint got senority your nothing.

the elite ruling class within a ogranization that is suppose to be for the common man,

blah
edit on 5-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

I will use a right wing talking point for your example Neo

"If you didn't like the job, why'd you stay there for a decade? No one was forcing you to stay there were they?"

link   
Southeastern Millwright checking in.Happy Labor Day!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
I won't change my mind. I'll take advantage of it. Then when I'm able, I'll escape to teaching college/university

Sorry, Sparky...you'll escape nothing. All institutions are organised...be they in a union or a Faculty Association. They negotiate just like the great unwashed, and if they feel hard done by, they withhold services. I have even seen a Faculty Association piggyback on the gains made by the unions!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I have done my research on unions, their once power and influence, their legacy for the working class, look what happen after the seventies when corporations were able to go after unions.

What is happening to America?, you know it was a time when this nation was prosperous, people had jobs they pay for everything without bankers they supported the economy and jobs were there until retirement.

The problem now a days is that the new generation we have doesn't have a clue of what a good job dependable job use to be, now you can work a life time with anything to show for.

We have gone backward no forward when it comes to our nations working force and what used to support it.

Corporations with their high pay lobbyist and lawyers has robbed the workers in the nations of their rights for profits.

Sad, so sad.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

why does anyone stay at a job to pay their bills people think that is so bad looking for a job these days

fact of the matter is it has always been when a person lives in a small town and drives 80 miles a day just to make ends meet.

those old school people did whatever it took to make a buck unlike the current environment of today.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by LadySkadi

and now they have their globalist agenda.

And that is just not very intelligent

Unions and Union leadership cannot benefit from having their worker base migrate to nations
that do not even recognize unions. Sorry buddy, that benefits your boys, the corporation...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

The unions I have a problem with are public, and they are for the same reasons that FDR himself had a problem with. Public unions hijack the American public. When public worker pay goes up, taxes go up. Simple economics 101 that absolutely can not be refuted. Well, it can be refuted by morons, I guess.

You'll change your mind once you are teaching. For starters, unions are about much more than wages. I was a Chief Steward in an institution much like the one you are in now...and I was a busy, busy guy. Not once did it concern wages. No business is unionised that doesn't richly deserve it.

You want to cite Economics 101, why not examine how your manufacturing sector disappeared? And who let it happen? Corporate America sure watched your back on that one, didn't they?

I won't change my mind. I'll take advantage of it. Then when I'm able, I'll escape to teaching college/university.

I never said non-union was perfect. I can admit that the free-market has flaws, greed being the main one. But unions are exactly the same as they're just as greedy and self-serving as corporations are.

/TOA
edit on 5-9-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

LOL get back to us in 10 years and tell us how that turned out for you. Too bad in the meantime you will probably have sabotaged yourself and pretty much all of your countrymen, and the thousands of kids you will try to brainwash.

God I cant believe where we are headed. Abandon ship!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
reply to post by whaaa

Why do you need a Union to get payed for a movie? Did you do the work? Why 9 yrs later for pay? I get payed every week or 2 weeks. Waiting to get payed 9yrs later makes no sense, unless you can elaborate? I find that interesting, union or not?

Yes, I did the damn work as a wrangler/supporting. Many production companies make movies on the "float" or on a contingency basis. When they make money you will receive your residuals. Except that thru out the course of distribution the film gets sold to another production company, paper work gets "lost" and the money promised to the cast and crew gets forgotten about. And you are SOL unless you have a union/lawyers to track down the scumbag thieves that don't want to make good on the contracts. This happens all the time and that's why we need union representation as an individual you are SOL and will just get blown off and ignored.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by mugger
reply to post by whaaa

Why do you need a Union to get payed for a movie? Did you do the work? Why 9 yrs later for pay? I get payed every week or 2 weeks. Waiting to get payed 9yrs later makes no sense, unless you can elaborate? I find that interesting, union or not?

Yes, I did the damn work as a wrangler/supporting. Many production companies make movies on the "float" or on a contingency basis. When they make money you will receive your residuals. Except that thru out the course of distribution the film gets sold to another production company, paper work gets "lost" and the money promised to the cast and crew gets forgotten about. And you are SOL unless you have a union/lawyers to track down the scumbag thieves that don't want to make good on the contracts. This happens all the time and that's why we need union representation as an individual you are SOL and will just get blown off and ignored.

whaaa,

Can you afford a legal team to do this for you?

Can each individual on your crew afford the same?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

too true but push more unionization and make more jobs leave this country to that place that doesnt have unions you know that place who makes just about everything americans buy.

china.

pro union people by their actions support chinese slave labor and they also support illegal slave labor why because they just got to get paid everything they want.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I worked non-union for 25 years before I joined the union.What I can tell you is (at least in my field) we are the best trained most productive out there.I can't really speak for all other trades,I don"t know a lot of other tradesman in other fields,but if they have the headstart we have that makes a world of differance to our and the comany"s bottom line.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This day symbolizes the respect towards the man of labor, who toils tirelessly in his work simply to provide for himself and his family a reasonable wage. Whether this man is of laborious work or academic, acting or coordinating, he is to be given this day for rest. We celebrate, as one people, the gifts these men give us without any partisan lines drawn, opinions questioned, or backgrounds searched.

Doubtless, before deciding whether wages are fair, many things have to be considered; but wealthy owners and all masters of labor should be mindful of this - that to exercise pressure upon the indigent and the destitute for the sake of gain, and to gather one’s profit out of the need of another, is condemned by all laws, human and divine. To defraud any one of wages that are his due is a great crime which cries to the avenging anger of Heaven. “Behold, the hire of the laborers... which by fraud has been kept back by you, crieth; and the cry of them hath entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.”. Lastly, the rich must religiously refrain from cutting down the workmen’s earnings, whether by force, by fraud, or by usurious dealing; and with all the greater reason because the laboring man is, as a rule, weak and unprotected, and because his slender means should in proportion to their scantiness be accounted sacred. Were these precepts carefully obeyed and followed out, would they not be sufficient of themselves to keep under all strife and all its causes?

- Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

too true but push more unionization and make more jobs leave this country to that place that doesnt have unions you know that place who makes just about everything americans buy.

china.

pro union people by their actions support chinese slave labor and they also support illegal slave labor why because they just got to get paid everything they want.

Actually, I would say people that support free trade and dont support unions are the ones that support chinese slave labor. Well them, and the idiot americans who buy chinese.

ETA: actually that is the first time i have ever heard anyone say that pro labor = pro chinese. Youre always good for a laugh neo96, i really hope you are just a troll and dont seriously believe these things. That would be scary.
edit on 5-9-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by stillsearchin
I worked non-union for 25 years before I joined the union.What I can tell you is (at least in my field) we are the best trained most productive out there.I can't really speak for all other trades,I don"t know a lot of other tradesman in other fields,but if they have the headstart we have that makes a world of difference to our and the company"s bottom line.

Hey, and understand that just because I am a union thug, that doesn't mean I'm all about 'puttin' it to The Man'.

Bless those companies that treat their workers so fairly that the idea of organising doesn't even come up. Bless those employers that keep their business here and add to the local economy without screwing their single largest asset...a happy, stable and productive workforce. Too bad they are few and far between.

Note that, to me "here" denotes Canada/US. Our economies are linked, and our standards of living fairly well in sync. Our auto pact served both sides of the border quite well, and I consider my Ontario-made van and my Georgia-made truck to be 'built here'.
edit on 5-9-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

I don't even go in there, actually propaganda against unions has created a new generation of very misinform population.

edit on 5-9-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

25 million unemployed another 50 million on welfare and all those pro union pundits push

1000 thousand jobs where their can be 10,000 created but nope lets get paid without a thought to anyone else.

fat cat union people getting paid 100,000 bucks a year are more important than that person making 10,000.

and for the record insult me and then think you can have a conversation with me the trolls on ats are those idiots who go around calling other ats posters jackasses.

or do i need to link it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join