It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post Your Favorite Bugout Vehicle.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
i have been reading alot and watching youtube and survival websites and i have come to the over ridiing conclusion that far too many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to bug out bags and vehicles.

So my #1 pick of vehicle covers the pre 80 electronic crapola and its got to be deisel the overall performance and power and sheer hauling capacity there is only one winner and that has stood the test of time.

that my freinds is the m35a2 deuce 6x6 its mean its already camo and good luck stopping one

i picked this one because you can pick one up without breaking the bank and the sheer number of them out there would be easy to find a good one.

and there you have a dedicated bug out vehicle or just a 6x6 for fun and rec

edit on 2-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Man, got to love the Deuce and 1/2. You say there are quite a few around cheap, what is the average these puppies go for? I got to have one just to play with and if needed get deep into the jungle!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The Most Realistic and Affordable Ultimate Bugout vehicle or Just Plain Cool

If I had my choice of... um, bug-out transportation, it would be the venerable M-548 cargo carrier that I fell in love with during my service years.

Link to image:
www.military-today.com...

This wonderful machine is steered via a pair of track-lock levers and comes with either standard or automatic transmission. (The standard is foot-shift operated)

Over the cab is a .50 cal swivel ring that can easily be modified to accept most any weapon. The cab is spacious... with the auto-tran version coming with a full padded bench seat that can double as a bed while leaving room for the operator.

The canopied cargo area has an I-beam/chain-operated winch for up/off loading goods. Some later models came with electrically operated winches but they were not terribly reliable.

The zero-tension tracks rarely break and links are easy to replace if they do.

It's a go anywhere vehicle that has been mostly (if not by now entirely) retired from the US military... which is a shame. I'd take one in half a heartbeat.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

lol i just hit google and ebay has em from 7000 to 15,000 you can find em alot cheaper it pays to shop around.

stores.ebay.com...

www.ccsurplus.com...

two examples for people to see
edit on 2-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Here guys: checkout "alfa(-romeo) heaven"
(caveat:I know this guy personally) been out to his facility many times,he/they do amazing work.

www.alfaheaven.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Not a bad ride. Like the winch and tracks. How fast does it go? The ol Deuce and a half might be better to make tracks in a hurry to evacuate an area that has come under active martial law.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/211de44d97be.jpg[/atsimg]

Redoubts M-548 cargo carrier
edit on 2/9/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/9/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by spirit_horse
reply to post by redoubt

Not a bad ride. Like the winch and tracks. How fast does it go? The ol Deuce and a half migh be better to make tracks in a hurry to evacuate an area that has come under active martial law.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/211de44d97be.jpg[/atsimg]

For a track, she'd sh*t & git!

If I had to guess... prolly 45 mph top end on level ground with your boot on the floorboard.

This babe ain't for the highway... it's for off-way. I never had any problems fording or crossing rugged terrain.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That is a lot of truck for even that price. Any lower would be a steal. And the diesel would be able to run on fuel from just about any fuel dump, military or otherwise, i.e. heavy equip, farm, etc/ Those gasoline fuel sources will be the first to go as people won't have many diesels on hand.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
If I had a decent piece of land with a barn or a large garage, I would have one of these to play with.

I don't care about the bug out aspect. I just want a big toy!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

That's true.. I used to hunt in North Western Michigan growing up. People from out of state often went missing out there. 800,000 acres of woods with maybe a powerline tracking through. Besides the friendlies in the area, this puppy would get you anywhere that you wanted to go out there.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

i wouldnt mind to have either one i just watched a video yesterday and in it was 80s chevrolet m1009

www.alfaheaven.com...

that video has a thermoelectric cooler with a solar charger setup.

that m1009 on that alfaheaven sit is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

deisel is definately the way to go.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
changed the thread title people post your must have goto vehicle for the end is nigh time.

thanks for posting here.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
N.W.O would just shoot that thing up...... they would just aim straight for the block, disable the truck, and rip the passangers to peices.... no thanky, my feet can do the walking, my hands will do the rest

Seriously, to survive you need to be smart and one step ahead of anything or anyone that is a threat, so, driving around in that bad boy, as cool and..uncomfortable..as it would be, you would be relying on the truck to carry your supplies if you had more than three people with you, its a no go, and a complete disaster in a "surviaval" situation.

The best thing anyone can do right now is, get some knowladge on your surrounding area, and look up a few safe spots in your country, plan more than four safe routes, and NEVER stick to just one plan, you can pretty much guarantee something will go wrong, get a bug out pack ready, and be ready to just wing it on the day with all routes in mind, no one knows what`s gonna hit us, but we all know something is going down......so think common sense.....think "survival".

DONT USE VEHICLES PEOPLE !!!! .... i mean ..... do you WANT to be caught

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
One last choice.

The BRDM-2 (or 'Codpiece' as the Russians called it).

Image link:
upload.wikimedia.org...

OpFor used to use these things... which is where I think we came up with the idea of the Stryker. It had a hundred variations but was indefatigable in the field. If the Soviets made a single infantry vehicle that was worth its weight, this was it.

One of these alongside the M-548 and you'd be set to survive... until you needed hardware that did more than moved, lol.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

the alvis saracen was something i use to want still do

so many choice so little money

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Thx Neo......this brought back some interesting memories LOL... but.. seriously, this vid is only a slight smell and not a really good taste of what this beast can REALLY do; spending 9 years as a 13 Bravo, I'll post a couple of stories for ya.

On training up in Yakima WA, super hilly area and in convoy, someone had the idea we should take the shortest route.........LOL.. yep .. our XO, smart guy actually, needed to get a spot A in shortest amount of time to make surprise displacement.

Finding ourselves at a near 60*+ degree side of a hill going horizontal at that.....I had my right foot up near the window bracing to roll over, this went on for almost 30 mins; and we weren't creeping either LOL .. 2nd gear I believe .. but.. we made it LOL talk about good times afterwards, us chief got together and laughed and talked about that for awhile.

vertical up hills, yea.. I've had a few, some I swear in a normal truck, definitely would have gone backwards, in creeper gear, another 60*+degree up hill, not a issue, scary but, not an issue.

I've ran through LARGE creeks that water flooded out ankles, and still make it .. LOL..

I wish I could have taken a vid of some of those times..

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Now I like this Oshkosh MRAP, the US's newest toy.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/39ef592d677e.jpg[/atsimg]

I am sure it will run on anything, but it is way too much.

For my second choice:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a32720a43d3.jpg[/atsimg]

I don't know about fixing tracks when they break, but tires can be plugged quick and pumped up and your on the way. I believe this is a Russian APC that is fully sealable against NBC warfare.

link   
reply to post by Komodo

yeah sorry the video wasnt the greatest water did you say?

link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by redoubt

the alvis saracen was something i use to want still do

so many choice so little money

Understand that.

I think i'll be happy with my '47 Dodge Power Wagon

For now... anyway.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

top topics