It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post Your Favorite Bugout Vehicle.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I have mine, 84 Jeep CJ Scrambler with 35" Yokohama GeoLanders, 8,000lb warn hydraulic winch ran off of power steering pump, Isuzu 4JB1-TC, 2.8L turbo charged mechanical diesel engine with NP 435 4 speed granny low tranny.

I don't have to worry about an EMP interrupting my computer on this and if I can't get diesel, I can run it off of used cooking oil just by letting it get to operating temp and warming up the oil in the oil tank, switch tanks and keep going. It's just a pain to strain all the food sediment out of the cooking oil but I made a sock/screen strainer that works great.

Oh and I get 35 mpg with it, it's pretty much my daily driver since gas prices went through the roof.

Now if I could just get Sons of Guns to build me a turret for the rollbar I'd be set!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
From where I am located the only way most people can go is to the east,so I plan on going west in to the Pacific.

The marina has plenty of boats owned by weekenders that most likely won't be around. Just to the west there are the channel islands which are all under the Dept. of the Interior and uninhabited presently but did at one time have inhabitants.

There is plenty of water foxes and wild boar there. game birds also and fishing is good.There are wooded valleys for protection and mountains for observation.

I figure the government will be so busy tracking down all you bugging out they won't even think about looking there for a while.

If not there then a sail boat will take me anywhere in the world by wind power alone.
Vehicles need fuel and it maybe in short supply.
edit on 4-9-2011 by IamJustanAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

You just told them where to look for you

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If you're buying, I'll take one of these globalxvehicles.com...

Or a nice UNIMOG conversion would work also globalxvehicles.com...

Unimogs have been around for decades and can be adapted to practically any configuration. Here's 1978 conversion for a bargain price in e-bay and it even comes with a Zodiac inflatable raft and outboard motor. What more could you ask for? Bug Out by land or water...

cgi.ebay.com...

edit on 4-9-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I cant help I'm a hippy at heart....funny, it still smells like weed and patchouli!
Plus it has a nifty sink and stove feature, and sleeps 5.

You know these things will run forever, and you can fix most problems with bubble gum, and a toothpick.

Gookle vw tank...dang I can't get the image or article to load....help me!!
edit on 4-9-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

nice but expensive as most of the good stuff i been checking out expedition vehicles and aussie off road camping

great ideas all its just what peopel can afford to and how mobile they want to be.,

my problem is i like evertything i see

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Ohh to have endless financial resources... The possiblities would be endless. In all seriousness, my subaru outback will be my bugout vehicle along with a yakima cargo box on the roof and a couple of bikes hanging off of the rear if the need ever arises. Subarus if maintained properly will run for many moons. That's why they are always difficult to find used in my area. They are practical and don't scream hey look at me. The ground clearance is quite effective as is its AWD performance in snow, rain, and on unimproved rural roads and some fire roads. I explored a couple of fire roads in central Virginia in my Outback a couple of years ago and never missed a beat. I sweated bullets once or twice but kept on going.

If you can find one used jump on it. Even though its not as cool as a Unimog, its a good vehicle just like those older Volvo XC70s. If I didn't have the Scooby Doo I'd be driving a used XC70.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gandamack2

I know. So is the one in the first video posted of the op's "bugout" vehicle. I've heard tales such as yours from my Dad. He drove them for a while in the army and he hated them. They go through water very well, that's about it. Good luck in actual mud. If what he said is true they've also got a surprisingly weak engine in the newer model "multi-fuel" years.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i have been reading alot and watching youtube and survival websites and i have come to the over ridiing conclusion that far too many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to bug out bags and vehicles.

So my #1 pick of vehicle covers the pre 80 electronic crapola and its got to be deisel the overall performance and power and sheer hauling capacity there is only one winner and that has stood the test of time.

that my freinds is the m35a2 deuce 6x6 its mean its already camo and good luck stopping one

( video removed for shortness)

i picked this one because you can pick one up without breaking the bank and the sheer number of them out there would be easy to find a good one.

and there you have a dedicated bug out vehicle or just a 6x6 for fun and rec

edit on 2-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

It depends on why and How you have to bug out.. what the overall situation is. I think your choice of a bug out vehicle could be unrealistic. What if there is no oil, no gas, no diesel fuel? If you were running from a nuclear blast you would not get far. What are you taking with you in that big truck? Do you really need all that stuff and space? Wouldn't such a big vehicle cause you to call attention to yourself and advertise to looters hey, here we are, come rob us and all our stuff?

I think all this needs to be taken into consideration at the time of the disaster and then the appropriate choice made based on the situation.

I think cities will most likely either be targeted or have the most problems with marshal law and the like. If holding up in the city is safe, then Great.. if not I say get out to the woods. Carry only what you need for survival equipment and perhaps protection. Bring only enough food to get you there. Use a bus or large vehicle that will carry lots of family and neighbors and leave it at the edge of the woods. Or any car if it's just you and your family but prepare to abandon it. Once there your living like Grizzly Adams. Strip the vehicle for any and all useful parts and head into the woods. The idea of survival in such a situation is Not to have to rely on modern means including vehicles. Vehicles can be made or acquired as the need arises. The most important tool is the knowledge you take in your head on how to get clean water food shelter and heat to survive. Everything else is unnecessary.
edit on 5-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

that is awesome !!! yep .. now THAT"S what i'm talk'n bout'~!!!

yup.. gonna get me one

thx neo.. !!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join