It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone is copying and reposting your posts under another name on another site

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
So what ? Its internet ..FREEEEDOM
When Youtube or someone censor something because of property rights you whine censorship ...

Internet "freedom" Does not give you the right to plagiarize...

It's illegal here or anywhere else.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

If you guys request that other sites remove stolen material, do the sites normally comply or is it a bit more testing than that?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by trika3000

It's happened to me a couple of times - rather popular (and insightfully well written I might add
) posts are copied verbatim and re-posted somewhere else by someone else...

Pretty ridiculous actually...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

We're kind of like a dysfunctional family...we may yell at each other and call each other names, when allowed to, lol, but at the end of the day we are still family. This excludes anyone I don't like btw, like that one guy who never makes any sense.

This last "disclaimer" made my breakfast try to exit via my nose, dude!!
But Yeah, I know..right? That's exactly how it is.
I belong to another "community" (in real life time and space - not online, although they/we have a presence in cyberspace as well), and while it's membership is more the size of ATS' actual daily member participant count (usually in the hundreds, isn't it? -- I've only looked at those stats a couple of times) it is very much a dysfunctional family. Actually, I think the definition of "family" itself should include dysfunction, for there is no perfectly functional family anywhere, of any size, shape, or form.

There are members of that other community that some have decided to treat as "the village idiots", if you will, but
in the end, that "idiot" belongs to us, and if we saw them under attack, we would -- hopefully -- stick together and have their back.

As a matter of fact, just recently one of that commuinty, who was very active years ago but subsequently has been seen only rarely, went missing. Word was sent out to the entire group...because that's what family is about.

A couple of years ago, one of the more high-profile members was killed in a motor vehicle accident. The turnout for the funeral was enormous. I think the survivors of the immediate family were shocked. The caravan was miles long going from the service to the burial.
That's family.

So, here's to all of you, team ATS. I have for my entire cognizant life been a writer. I don't have a blog (well, I started one a few years back and lost interest after about 10 minutes), I have deactivated my FB account, and I think of ATS as my outlet to the wider world. I have written screenplays, recently completed a novel, and have uncounted poems, essays, research projects, and editorials. I have served on newsletters as contributing editor, and I have been published in trade magazines.

Am I earning a living at it? Nope. And while at one time (and yes, still from time to time) I fantasize about becoming a household word and winning the Pulitzer, I know realistically that fame and fortune don't matter.

If someone is "stealing" my work and putting it out there as their own, on the one hand I'm flattered. On the other, I am reminded to be careful of what I say, for we should never write anything that we would not be willing to share. Would I like to be compensated for my intellectual propery? Of course. But money is not really my point.

If my words are of interest to anyone, that's reward enough for me.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
awesome, thanks for this thread, I thought I was the only one, not only was I censored, I was lied to as well, they deleted my thread I made about another thread that got shut down, long story but it was about our U.S. Soldiers, one thread was against them, another was for them, ATS shut down the one that was for the soldiers, so I made a complaint thread about it, with in minutes this mod called 12m8keall2c deleted my thread, first said he moved it, well he didnt, he completely deIeted it, I mean whats good for the goose is good for the gander right?, how come we cant have an opposite thread supporting our troops? well not here it seems, so I made another, again with in minutes deleted by the same mod, then I posted a comment on a similar thread and guess what, deleted by 12m8keall2c, this mod went on the attack against me, so long story short I sent a complaint and never heard back. I have no faith in this site anymore, its phony to me now.

Oh and before some of you say, well if its phony, why are you here then, because I enjoy reading what members put down, the staff and mods, and the way they run this site on the other hand, not so much.
edit on 2-9-2011 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm a long time reader of this site but a new member and have a concern that I think is relavant to this discussion and was wondering if anyone would have some insight. I have been trying to become a member for months, I signed up using my yahoo mail account which I only use to sign up for things online and not clutter my primary mail account. I would recieve a confirmation email and click to activate, but I would never recieve my password. I tried to recover my password and I would never recieve a message, even checked my spam folder. A couple of days ago I signed up using my Gmail account and it worked right away. Is this due to Google sponsorship? If so I find it unfair to not give memberships to those who choose to use a mail account other than google. Can anyone shed some light on this? Has anyone else been able to sign up with a email that is not google or have been able to sign up with a yahoo account?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Looks like it got me too:

A Discussion on the Methodology of Earthquake Prediction
Written by TheEye on 27 August 2011

Here is a link to my original post which is clearly dated August 26, 2011.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I couldn't find anything...so I searched your name. That's interesting. No mirror website. There is a Twitter account trika3000 that tweets about Fox news, Glenn Beck and other propaganda. I won't mention the real looking name on the account.....wait, what IS the point of this thread? Every website online has a mirror site, it seems. They've done this to MySpace, FaceBook........

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The most copied ATS text is without a doubt the opening presentation of the All Roads Lead to Rome thread but the author Thomas Henley aka ProtoplasmicTraveler, sent complains to all sites guilty of Plagiarism and all ends up giving credit to the orininal author. It up to us to denounce such practice.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by lZEROl

I wonder if it has to do with the new yahoo terms of service agreement, I signed on this site in janurary before yahoo started this new thing, but now for the past 3 months I have been getting a screen before I log in telling me that I have to download the new yahoo mail, which scans every single email you get, its very non private, big brother to me, I was wondering did you download the new yahoo mail service, it was an option up until yesterday which now is required, so I won't be using that anymore. Maybe it has something to do with that

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

I don't remember doing so but I may have. I have had the account for the better part of six years. What I found odd was that I got the confirmation email but not the follow up email with the password.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by xavi1000
So what ? Its internet ..FREEEEDOM
When Youtube or someone censor something because of property rights you whine censorship ...

Internet "freedom" Does not give you the right to plagiarize...

It's illegal here or anywhere else.

Illegal ? so at least bilion people must go to jail or be fined ? you can't stop internet

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Damn, I also got scraped over on UFO-Blogger. What a pathetic practice.

On ATS:
This story is huge but will make no difference whatsoever. Its surfacing reflects manipulations and agendas beyond my limited abilities to discern. Truth is a sadly irrelevant and antiquated concept. I used to think it had an inherent power to prevail, but I now see I was naive. The truth is whatever these bastards cook up for us, deep fried in our own lard, made palatable with the secret sauce of our soldiers blood, and willingly gagged down by us with satisfied smiles on our neutered, brain dead faces.

On UFO-Blogger.com

Anonymous said... This story is huge but will make no difference whatsoever. Its surfacing reflects manipulations and agendas beyond my limited abilities to discern. Truth is a sadly irrelevant and antiquated concept. I used to think it had an inherent power to prevail, but I now see I was naive. The truth is whatever these bastards cook up for us, deep fried in our own lard, made palatable with the secret sauce of our soldiers blood, and willingly gagged down by us with satisfied smiles on our neutered, brain dead faces.
Off-site content my ass.

I will always look skeptically at “Anonymous” comments henceforth. Geez, they could have at least fixed my punctuation (“soldiers'” instead of “soldiers” and "brain-dead" instead of "brain dead") for me. Honestly, I see this as outright thievery.

edit on 2-9-2011 by Elbereth because: typo/add

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

The ATS owners should bust anyone who rips off their content.
That's what I think anyhow,

I don't think it's their content to rip off, they didn't write those words, someone else did. Also if it's illegal for another site to do that, then it's time to go after google and other sites that engage in the same behaviour. If ATS goes after other sites that do this and is a hypocrite over it, then I will refuse to go to ats. Follow the money, this site is apparently worth quite a few dollars in advertising revenue that is how they can afford to pay salaries for people to read and censor posts all day long.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Sure it does, otherwise, you must always have original thoughts and words otherwise you are just ripping someone else off. Spreading information is not plagerizing. If people repost news on facebook I guess it is plagerizing. I wouldn't feel victimized by it I would be honoured that someone out there is spreading my words far and wide. I don't think there is anything ats can do about it because it is easy to get a pre-paid CC # and setup a domain with it under a fake identity using tor or i2p, good luck tracing that. Cash is easy to launder too, so sure, waste money trying to hunt down the ethereal reposters.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Actually, there is something that can be done.

Visit this Google form:
Report scraper pages
...and report them.

It's a new strategy from Google to allow users of the web to report unethical site scrapers, and get them removed from the Google index. [/quote

Thank you SO.

Heading there now,to do just that.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Just curious which website is it? Are you at liberty to disclose the offending website?

Also if the posts from ATS are spreading across other websites, then I would assume it cannot be bad if the posts are Positive and Educating.

edit on 2-9-2011 by hp1229 because: add content

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Also if the posts from ATS are spreading across other websites, then I would assume it cannot be bad if the posts are Positive and Educating.

+1

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What website is ripping off our posts again?

Trust me- I just spent a good few minutes looking through the thread for a link.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cry93
It looks like maybe they are using some sort of live feed to supply info from here to their site.

This is kinda weird, to be honest.

most likely a spider such as search engine indexers use. A spider is merely code that sends a request (http) to a site, and then parses the response (which is text) and then begins following any hyperlinks in that text to build a navigation tree of the site. Any pages (content) it comes across indexed and added to the search-engine database.

Something like these sites use the same principle except they return any text contained within the documents and then reformats/cleans it for posting. To ATS admins, it probably just looks like another indexer hitting the site.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join