It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone is copying and reposting your posts under another name on another site

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This whole issue of deleted or buried threads has derailed much of my fervor towards ATS. None of my own uploaded subjects have been targeted, but I recently came across one very interesting and pertinent thread that was shockingly moved into the HOAX column, from a spot in Breaking Alternative News. After a huge amount of protests which questioned the motives of both the mod's and ATS, it was then moved into the Deconstructing Disinfo. forum where it continued to gather many valuable responses. There are other examples of this recent and arbitrary, self-defeating shuffling around.
All of it feels very "Red China"-ish, to me. ATS is pretty much the average persons only venue for open discussion regarding matters too sticky for mainstream arenas. My own personal opinion is that when Google became ATS's host, this site lost objectivity and openness. It has become just another tool used in manipulating the viewpoints MSM wishes to promote. Yes, I'm only a recently signed-on member, but from reading past posts; the climate here has indeed, changed.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Internet "freedom" Does not give you the right to plagiarize...

It's illegal here or anywhere else.

Depends on which country youre in.

Contrary to popular opinion, the law of the US do not apply to the whole world.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by trika3000

Hi...what you are saying is true....this morning there was a new thread started ....(It's official...we're all safe...Fukushima released only 10% radiation compared to Chernobyl)....is on that other site...with the exact same title and the exact same first paragraph.....I really don't know what can be done.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Why is this thread 13 pages long.

You are all posting on an open internet forum, with the idea being that you are sharing information and thoughts that you want people to know on various alternative subjects.

With that in mind so what if some other site uses the ATS RSS feeds to duplicate the content on their site ? If you don't like it file a DMCA request. I'm pretty sure ATS is common creative license so the only issue I see is that the site in question isn't making it clear that the posts came from ATS in the first place.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Does this really surprise you? does everyone here think all the posts originate from ATS? no. In fact I have seen may posts on similar sites first then basically copied and pasted here. Perhaps the poster is a member of all these sites and posts the same topic on each.

Of course you're going to see the same topics on several different sites.....A conspiracy is a conspiracy after all and ATS isn't the be all end all of conspiracy sites.

As for the video's......Youtube is public domain so if a poster here uses a video from youtube is it wrong that someone else uses the same video...no

In fact ATS is one of the few sites I know of where they ban links, direction or naming of similar sites.

If the motto here is "Deny Ignorance" then it would be pretty ignorant to think that everything starts from ATS goes from there and that ATS is the only true source of the type information we post.

I just want to add that as a community throughout the web, we shouldn't consider ourselves in competition with these other sites, in fact I think we should all be working together sharing information to find truth in all our subjects. ATS has gone down hill a lot in my opinion...too many ego's and flame wars to ever get anything accomplished.

edit on 2-9-2011 by QBSneak000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2011 by QBSneak000 because: addition

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
While we're still on the topic, who's to say that the reverse doesn't happen? That someone takes a post from another site and copies it directly onto this site?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

It does.... a lot actually. I have seen it first hand. Yet the ATSers will fight tooth and nail stating that they are the original ones.

When did this site become so ego driven?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
ATS is my main go to site, but like many I visit other boards, if somebody at ATS says something better than I can but expresses exactly the way I feel, or reports some piece of news really well, on very rare occasions I will use the quote feature every board has, I won't give the source, I will just give credit to somebody else anonymously both site and poster, but the point is still made. And sometimes we are in a hurry but quoting is quicker to make our point.
As long we don't copy and paste like it's our own, and instead and use the quote feature it's all good.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by maskfan
Why is this thread 13 pages long.

You are all posting on an open internet forum, with the idea being that you are sharing information and thoughts that you want people to know on various alternative subjects.

With that in mind so what if some other site uses the ATS RSS feeds to duplicate the content on their site ? If you don't like it file a DMCA request. I'm pretty sure ATS is common creative license so the only issue I see is that the site in question isn't making it clear that the posts came from ATS in the first place.

*sigh*
Okay, I can tell that this has never happened to you...? Regardless, is it really so difficult for them to just do something as very simple as including the original author's name in their version? Is that really too much to ask?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Stuff like this just doesn't surprise me anymore...

Copy and pasting peoples posts on other websites is pretty low in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BillyBoBBizWorth

You would be surprised at how often I see people from ATS do that. Its not just other sites.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Just went over there and joined. In the comments on the Fukushima thread I left this comment. "This is not written by the eye, it was copied and pasted from Above Top Secret. com" It said " your comment is being moderated " We'll see what they have to say. Will report back when i know something.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Funny that THEM of ATS stop people
putting links for other conspiracy sites.
But they actively encourage Alex jones's site.
and A LOT of posts disappear.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Okay, I can tell that this has never happened to you...? Regardless, is it really so difficult for them to just do something as very simple as including the original author's name in their version? Is that really too much to ask?

Of course its happened to me. I post here, the whole forum is being scraped and resposted somewhere else duh.

Honestly I don't care less whether or not a post on another forum scraped from this one uses my avatar name for this board or not. Nor do I care if someone wants to take some information I posted on an open forum and post it somewhere else. In fact I'd be flattered if it wasn't the case of the whole forum being scraped instead of just my posts.

Yes they should under the terms of the common license use the avatar names from here. But do I care that they aren't, no not really. Like I said DMCA them if you don't like it.
edit on 2-9-2011 by maskfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by maskfan

If you have no problem with your works being ripped off, fine - that's your business.

But as I said, I'm dealing with this as well, including someone using one of my old OP's in a YouTube video. This would be fine - hell, it would be pretty damned cool, actually.....IF these idiots could just give me credit. Again, too much to ask?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by trika3000

I visit a few sites and have seen what appeared to be information sharing. Let's be completely honest - a great deal of what is posted on conspiracy sites is "He said, She said, and I heard somewhere...", and the same stories get repeated all over the place.

You Tube videos get referenced to on just about all the sites. People who make their living writing books and holding lectures are quoted all over the place, (Most of the time without verifying the contents of what they are saying).

It stands to reason that there are members here who also post their agendas on other sites, and they will copy and paste text instead of typing it all out.

I am a researcher, and I vist several places to see what people are talking about, and to see if there is a main line of focus taking place. When it comes to conspiracy theory sites, things are pretty much the same. If I want the truth about what's going on in the Middle East I go to a site which is owned by the lady who used to travel with Princess Di, If I want to see things a little more off base, I come to places like this.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1
Oh and BTW genius, I even let everyone know my old name and why I have been using ThePublicEnemyNo.
I don't think I'd like to do that, in the same situation. Me from 6 years ago is not me in the here and now.

Originally posted by trika3000
(how surreal it is getting that i am copying from a copycat site and reposting back on ATS on a thread about this other website copying from ATS)
The newspapers have been doing this since before I was born.
They're just getting caught at it more often now.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlordVisit this Google form:
Report scraper pages
...and report them.
I'm going to have to remember this.

i tell ya, i never have gotten so many U2U's as this and my first deleted post (concerning this exact topic here) ever. All day today folks kept sending me example after example of where they were/are feeling that some kind of agenda is driving ATS. i personally thinking it has more to do with an ability to remove comments and posts than some kind of agenda. With the "Hall Monitor" comes a feeling of look what i can do, i have power. This type of subject fills pages on ATS.
At the same time, this is a conspiracy site, full of paranoid nuts. (Remember: pot calling kettle.)When you have a group that is preconditioned to see a conspiracy under every rock, they're helpless but to see anything but a conspiracy in the way the moderators hold our hands while we cross the street. At the same time, the moderators are used to dealing with a barrel full of monkeys, so our complaints about bad Mod behavior are more likely to be chalked up to conspiracy nuts being nuts. The only thing that counteracts this natural human tendency would be for the Mods to take the complaints far more seriously than they do and moderate themselves first and foremost, and for the complainers to not take themselves seriously at all. But this goes against the grain. Best put: it ain't natural.

//somewhere one page 9 still...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Coming at a topic from different angles and thinking outside the box is what we do here (or so i thought).
Actually most people can't think inside the box well enough to even fill their little container. Thinking outside the box becomes highly irrational when you can't reason through basic logic in the first place.

Originally posted by SecretFace
There are people who just want to stand on the shoulders of others.
Is this always a bad thing? Penecillin=good for you led to Amoxcillin, which is the only thing that I've taken that actually gets rid of stuff I'd rather not mention. Some things require standing on other people's works. Especially when you're not the smartest shark in the kiddie pool.

Originally posted by obummerdeception
Post what one feels for real.
This is why I only star things that catch my attention-I can agree, disagree, think they are flaming trolls, I don't care. If they post even 1 sentence that made the rest of their drivel worth reading, they're getting a star, and I'm not going to do a "Buddy Jesus" impersonation just to pat their backs.

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
Forget about copyrights. When you get to be as big as ATS is, where you rank on a search results page is more important. It would be for me at least. And copyright infringement is what websites use to put a stop to this. Every post is time stamped, so it's not hard to prove.
Internal time stamps can be messed with, but there's sites out there that take snapshots of other websites to show what was available in years past. My cousin had to resort to one of these sites because he is the original [name blanked for his privacy.], and someone wanted to come in and claim that he was a plagiarizer to his site host in order to get his whole website removed so this guy could continue to usurp the name as his own. Now, not everyone who uses that name is my cousin, nor is he out to get them all, but he was nearly to the point of calling this guy's bluff and taking him to court so he could be free to run his site the way he wanted to. Now if I could only remember the name of this other site, and see what it has on ATS.

But as of my personal opinion: If you don't ant it stolen, don't put it out in public. Any artwork or music I put put/ will put put is there for the common good. The only thing I dislike is if someone other than me is making money DIRECTLY from my efforts. This plagiarism is indirect, and therefore I'm ignoring it.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I do not know you all...but I was on a thread...someone got on and told Skeptic Overlord about this shizz nizzle and he nipped in in the bud. U2U him.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1
Oh and BTW genius, I even let everyone know my old name and why I have been using ThePublicEnemyNo.
I don't think I'd like to do that, in the same situation. Me from 6 years ago is not me in the here and now.

Your opinion has been noted
However, although I am six years older, I am still the same person
What's the problem with that anyway, it was my choice to do so and make that announcement

edit on 9/3/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join